dressbarn Employee Reviews

senior buyer
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Suffern, NYSeptember 2, 2015
I enjoyed the creative aspects of the position. I enjoyed working with other departments in developing product. I did not like the travel
Great side job and great discount.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOSeptember 2, 2015
Customers first and foremost.
Lots of projects and/or daily tasks, can be overwhelming.
Is very physical for a retail job.
Co-workers are great, consider them my work-family.
A nice range of good discounts for not only Dress Barn, but also, Lane Bryant, Justice, Maurice's, Catherine's, and just new to the Asena family Ann Taylor and Loft.
Pros
the discounts, great work-family, and opportunity in making woman feel beautiful
Cons
all day on your feet and sometimes no official breaks, and not guaranteed 40hrs if F/T.
A day in the life of an assistant manager
Asst. Management (Current Employee) –  Crossville outlet centerSeptember 1, 2015
For the most part I love my job, but it is having to deal with co-workers who aren't as passionate about fashion and have an attitude of constant negativity. The culture is amazing and with the new things that the company is planning is going to make it even more enjoyable.
Pros
discounts on clothing at all the company stores
Cons
working nights and weekends and odd shifts
Non supportive upper management leadership, gossip about team that was very negative before I was hired. Needed to hire new assistant managers.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CAAugust 30, 2015
Great customers to assist and create an atmosphere of honesty and creativity for each customer. Have a positive attitude with the team, instill honesty, integrity, and happy environment to work in. The Assistant managers were disgruntled of not being promoted to manager position. Upon being hired I was told by DSM and RSDM that management team needed to be replaced. They told me I had support from them to hire a new team that managers that filled the position before me were quiting, they couldn't keep a manager longer than a year. I was the fourth manager to be hired. From the first day to the last day my Assistant managers were disgruntled that I was the manager. I received nothing but negativity from the assistant managers. The assistant management team did not support my leadership they would do anything they could to make my job harder. I was very displeased at upper management for not supporting me. It was a he said she said environment.
Pros
good benefits, bonuses, nice customers
Cons
non supportive leadership skills within the district
Great company
Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 29, 2015
Work Life Balance is key, in this retail company.
Benefits and employee discount incredible.
There is an element of transparency, empowerment, and continual personal and professional growth.
Busy workplace dealing with a varied group of people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Laughlin NevadaAugust 27, 2015
I loved merchandising and helping customers enjoy their shopping experience. Worked with staff to build a stronger name branding.
Dealt with cash management, opening and closing duties.
loved working with customers
Store Manger (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 26, 2015
When I first started, job was fun, customers always got help. Then they didn't know who there target customer was for a while. They alienated some older customers, then decided that that was there targeted customer and you had to win them all over again. They kept taking hours away from you and it was hard to get everything done as you helped customers
It was a job
Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 24, 2015
I started working at Dressbarn so I could save up money and move out of my parents house. I thought it would be a fun, simple job. However, the management was lazy and took advantage of my hard work making me do everything they were supposed to. I didn't get paid what I was worth and was under appreciated. I didn't leave on bad terms but I would never go back there.
Pros
Assisstant manager Lynda Johnson, nice customers
Cons
terrible hours, no overtime or holiday pay, poor management
Merchandising job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 23, 2015
this job enables you to learn the retail business. Customer service is the number 1 priority. This job goes through lists of personnel therefore having a high turnover rate at times
Pros
breaks
Cons
pople don't take pride in their jobs
Great Work Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  auroraAugust 23, 2015
Great workplace. Enjoyable work life. Open managers. Great foundation company. That can either promote you or teach you skills that can transfer into better job positions.
great place to meet many friends
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GAAugust 12, 2015
dressbarn is a great place to work. The best thing is servicing the needs of a customer. Helping her find the right outfit for that special event is so rewarding.
Pros
great customer
Cons
bad customers
Amazing job where every day feels like a "Girls Day"!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Willimantic, CTAugust 11, 2015
I LOVE working a Dress Barn! The staff members are all very close and friendly and ages range across the board. We care about each other both in and out of work. Family/ Life balance is a priority in this company. The clothes we sell are amazing! the hardest part of the job is keeping my paycheck! Seriously. The best part is helping a customer pick out clothes and sitting in the dressing room while she gives a "fashion show". Making her feel and look beautiful is what it's all about!
Dressbarn
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLAugust 4, 2015
Overall Dress barn is a great place to work at. The employees are super sweet and actually genuinely care about you. I would recommended them to a friend because they are a great job to start at.
Pros
The workers were very sweet. My manager always pushed us to be better.
Cons
The raise was low, no health benefits.
Retail/Customer Service
Associate (Current Employee) –  New HampshireAugust 3, 2015
The job is fun and I do love my coworkers. Not much room for advancement unless you are willing to devote every waking moment to a job that says they promote work/life balance. Entry level job that has too much pressure. Compensation is horrible for the job, but unfortunately typical.

Help customers, make sales, resolve issues, work towards goals in team setting, setting store displays, cleaning.
Pros
More flexibility than other retail customer service jobs
Cons
Compensation and growth potential
assistant manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CAAugust 3, 2015
opened and closed store,in charge of 10 or more employees.Did training ,computer,inventory,sales,and much more.Enjoyed working with customers and co-workers.
Ok to work but not interact
Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNAugust 1, 2015
Overall the job was ok. Unfortunately Management and co-workers were not. Other people would not keep up with their responsibilities in the work place. Others were constantly pointing fingers and playing the blame game. Very Unprofessional.
Productive wok environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 29, 2015
Opening the store and setting up the manikins and preparing the registers for the day. I learned how to operate a clothing store. The co workers were great.
Pros
communicating with different customers and ther diferent personalities daily.
Cons
customers with horrible attitudes.
Great place to work - opporunity for growth
Assistant Manager (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDJuly 24, 2015
A typical day at work is assisting customers with their clothing selection. Customer service is our objective. To help make the customer feel and look beautiful. So providing excellent customer service is a must. As a part time manager I must perform other duties as well. I enjoy changning the floor and displays. It's a great place to work.
Pros
The clothes and employee discounts
Cons
Not enough hours given at times due to the season/business
sales associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Flemington, NJJuly 21, 2015
only hires p/t sales associates, varied shifts up to 5 1/2 hr if more need to take 1/2 break. No other breaks during shift. Customer positive experience is highest priority. As in most retail jobs always tasks to do from vacuuming, to floor sets.
Pros
Working with customers
fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXJuly 15, 2015
Help a customer when asked, assist client when is ready to check out.. Do not be pushy. A diverse group of co-workers and hardest thing was to get the hours one wanted. Have fun creating styles for our customers.
Pros
holidays off
Cons
more money