Dressbarn Employee Reviews

Had high hopes....
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJDecember 21, 2016
After spending 31 years in restaurant management I was so excited about getting hired at my favorite place to shop. The women who work there are wonderful inside and out (especially the store leader, Lorraine). They have all worked together for a very long time, they all found their "nitsz" in this store, and they truly make a great team. The unfortunate part is that any newly-hired person is going to have a very hard time finding their own "nitsz" because it becomes very clear very quickly that we are there to fill the void. The new person becomes the "work horse" while the others go about doing their thing that they're comfortable doing. One salesperson likes to sensor clothing but doesn't get involved with putting the new clothes up. Another salesperson would rather stand at the register all night long while I ran around putting customers in dressing rooms, putting all of the clothes away, straightening up the department (sometimes both DB and DBW departments) and doing whatever else they wanted me to do. Then there's the salesperson who does only scarves, shoes, and cashiering. There is absolutely no employee development or real training. I worked here two months and never completely learned how to use the register. The only thing I was allowed to do was run around and make their numbers which I got shoved down my throat every day I went in all for $8.50 an hour. Corporate has a "goal" that they want each store to reach everyday and that number will be shown to you as soon as you clock in. There is much corporate greed and the managers are the only ones who get bonuses.  more... New employee retention is non-existent as I watched five people quit in a matter of two months. I learned very fast that this wasn't for me. If you accept employment here make sure you negotiate a higher hourly rate than $8.50 an hour.  less
Pros
Nice co-workers and customers
Cons
No employee development, no formal training, very low pay
The work environment is very friendly
Cashier- assisteSelina Garcia (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 19, 2016
Every work day lead to me meeting new and friendly people. The majority of our customers were much older than I was but would always ask for an honest opinion on their clothes choices. It was nice working with a different age group.
Pros
Reasonable work hours
Cons
The pay was not the best
Great company to work for.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaDecember 13, 2016
Great place to work. Always something to do. Room for advancement. CEO is down to earth and easy to talk to. Would highly recommend working for company.
challenging work place, salary is very low for management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  texasDecember 11, 2016
Fortune 100 company, cannot support myself on this salary all sales and management are under paid need to have sales experience, merchandising experience accounting and HR training. Pay is extremely low.
Pros
Diverse work schedules
Cons
Low salary, long working days manager has no clue what is going on
Quality workplace where everyone feels valued.
SENIOR STYLIST (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHDecember 10, 2016
Dressbarn is a company that truly values all of their employees from the bottom to the top. Communication is very open, lots of transparency. I have said before in discussions with my store and district leader, I do not like working in retail, I like working for Dressbarn. This is a whole different way of working in a retail world. Work/life balance is key to them and there is very little turnover.
Dressbarn is a great company
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXNovember 30, 2016
Really awesome company to work for. I'm relocating thus looking for a new job. I have enjoyed my time with dressbarn. If they can offer me the pay is need I will stay within the company when I move.
great work environment
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Estero, FLNovember 30, 2016
Dressbarn was a fun fast paced lunge into the ever changing fashion industry, the staff was always cordial and helpful and they cared much about the education of their employees, working around class and study schedules so that we may strive for the better.
Retail job heplping people.
Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSNovember 27, 2016
The store I worked had a very good team of employees. The store manager was a very caring individual. Always made time to help you in any task.
Pros
Once a month free snacks!
Cons
Sometimes you get no lunch breaks.
Had fun with Fashion shows
Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  WashingtonNovember 20, 2016
The company has been around a long time. DressBarn is the style for the ladies 40 and older. We had a fun customer base. We had sales goals for the day. We had creative Floor plans.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Store closing
Overall Dressbarn is a good company to work for. However, I feel as though there isn't much room for growth.
Assistant Buyer for Casual Knits (Current Employee) –  Mahwah, NJNovember 9, 2016
I learned a lot from working at Dressbarn. Everyone is very friendly and it's a good company to work for. Unfortunately, I feel that there is not enough opportunity for growth and development.
Always changing
Part-Time Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Timonium, MD 21093November 9, 2016
There is always something to do. It is never a dull moment. The environment allows a person to grow in their work environment and help build skills for other careers outside of Dressbarn. An employee will gain skills in sales, time management, customer service, employee relations, problem solving, and shipment. These skills can transfer to other areas of life and work.
Pros
Every day is a new learning experience
Can be enjoyable
Full Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 3, 2016
Has its magic moments. Unfortunately if you want to move into management there is little to no formal training. You must learn as you go by shadowing and in my case, not necessarily by invitation or intention. Co-workers are an enjoyable part of the job, management again, because no formal training program or location existed, appears random / not in any order. Although the company seemed to provide tools for its employees that were helpful such as webinars and conference group calls, the implementation of said was disjointed. District leaders have little or no accountability or so it appears, and there is a good ole "boy" network for sure. It is a female dominated work force. You will learn the basics of retail management. You are also the visual merchandisers of the stores, with publications to direct you each month. Again you learn by shadowing and/or teaching yourself through reading the visual guidelines, and there are an extensive set of those. Lots of politics. As Dressbarn is struggling as a brand, you now feel that pressure.
Pros
Co workers are generally pleasant as is work environment.
Cons
Training is random, not linear, company is demanding more and more from all.
Great company to work for!
Store Manager / (Former) Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 3, 2016
It's a fun-loving atmosphere
You have a great retirement plan for those people who've been working there for 20 years they don't provide much for the newcomers but it's still overall a great company to work for
job & discount were great!
Senior Assistant Mgr (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 31, 2016
Dressbarn was one of my favorite places to work--I loved selling their clothes. I loved being an asst manager--they were good to their employees!
The hard part was leaving them!
Pros
Great friends & bebefits!
Cons
retail hours
I love it!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hilliard, OHOctober 28, 2016
My coworkers are amazing. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping women find their perfect outfit. A typical day at work is come in, if there are clothes to steam, steam them. Then I wait for shipment. Once shipment comes in, I start on that while helping customers.
Great Workplace
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 23, 2016
Typically your main focus is building customer confidence, and help make sure they are satisfied with their purchase. Stock doesn't take long to put away and you get to add some of your own personal flare when setting up displays. In addition, management and coworkers are friendly.
Very family oriented
Asst mgr (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXOctober 22, 2016
I have worked for the company 15yrs. I enjoying the customers . The company is customer service focus. The company is well diverse . There is lots of opportunities for advancement . There are different programs for associates. Very much family business
Pros
Employees dicount
nope
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mercedes, TXOctober 12, 2016
my manager was awful, she promised to help me since I was fresh out of cosmetology school all I was up was to do product sales/demos and inventory. rarely did she give my clients to work on.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILOctober 12, 2016
Dress Barn was a very team oriented workplace. My team made it very fun for me to work there and I always looked forward to coming into work. It's very customer focused which helps you develop a connection with the customers.
Good company to work for
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Osage Beach, MOOctober 10, 2016
My favorite part of my job their is to help Woman Look and feel beautiful. Just because they are a plus size doesn't mean they cant look great and feel powerful. I want them to have a great shopping experience.
Pros
The health care is great
Cons
I am only leaveing to make more money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dressbarn. Our community is ready to answer.