Driscoll Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Great place to work, Depending on Management
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 23, 2017
Title Says it all. I loved working there when I started. A year later things changed the department is supposed to issue out uniforms and shoes need upon request and I went on for a year without getting the proper shoes. Constant poor management skills from Supervisors and Team Leads. Not enough supplies or good communication. The management does not let the employee learn the polices with the test modules given, since the team leads give out the answers, With that said there is not enough room for advancement unless you brownnose.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Terrible Management, never enough supplies, to complete job duties.
Productive, easy going atmosphere
Credentialing Specialist, Medical Staff Office (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 22, 2017
I enjoyed credentialing. I credentialed physicians in hospitals. Every physician that was reviewed was as though I was opening a new book; or shall I say chapter. The hardest part of the job was making sure that all of my verification's were completed and ready to go to the committee. Knowing what they did from the time medical school was completed to the present was quite a task but needed to be done. I take pride in my work. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the doctors, and realizing that they are human beings just like us.I did not have someone looking over my shoulder. I knew my job, what needed to be completed, and I got it done.
Pros
Breaks when needed, good healthcare.
Cons
Required a lot of hours.
Don't work here!!!
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 10, 2017
All of the department managers are related to each other. They can all dictate the choices for your career. They are all cut throats and will sell out anyone under themselves to save their own throats. They are Not looking out for you. They will not try to help you move up or change departments. The pay is lousy and not even competitive. It's all about being understaffed so that the bottom line gets met. Horrible place to work for office politics.
Pros
You get to work with children!
Cons
Poor management
Good place to start
Certified Child Life Specialist (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 10, 2017
Great department to work in. Autonomy in work unit. Immediate management is mostly fair and impartial. A fair advocate. The organizational culture is largely focused on patients at the worker level but that is not the case at the management level. Priorities are set to meet criteria and not always needs. Hardest part of the job is that there is no vertical ascension, only lateral moves possible. Education may result in promotions but only if you know the right people. Nepotism is strong in this organization. The best part of the job is that most of the work is collaborative so there's little one has to do alone and without help. You can also branch out and work on projects and committees that match your own interests.
Pros
Benefits, Cost of Living
Cons
Management, Parking, Nepotism
Great people and great benefits. Up and coming place to work.
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXMay 8, 2017
DHP is a fairly new project and still has a few areas of opportunity. I believe with time, this will be a great place to work and grow.

• Provide evaluation of and assist in the development of quality patient care services offered by Driscoll Children’s Hospital
• Coordinates care and efficient utilization of health care resources for patients identified in the STAR Kids program through communication with other members of the health care team, physicians, social workers, nurses, and other multidisciplinary team members.
• Produce status reports on a regular basis to track members in STAR Kids and ensure thorough knowledge of the STAR Kids contract and meet all Service Coordination contract requirements
• Enters LTSS authorizations into the system per the direction of the Service Coordinators.
• Provide the members with initial and ongoing assistance identifying, selecting, obtaining, coordinating, and using services and supports to enhance the member’s wellbeing, independence, integration into the community, and potential for supportive employment.
I Love what I do, but am ready for a change.
Flight Nurse, Transport Department (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 8, 2017
I worked 24 hr. shifts so if you went out on a call 1 hr. prior to the end of your 24, you were on until finished...sometimes 36 or more hrs. But...that is the nature of the job.
Horrible work environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXMay 2, 2017
Long hours of work with no recognition when all work is completed within a timely manner. Some rotten apples of Support Staff are resistant, unprofessional, and unethical. Management is horrible; lots of favoritism and never consistent. Worst part is that upper Management doesn't intervene and care less of their workers on the field. You will give up family if you want to keep up with this job. Turned into a hostile environment very quickly. Thinking of applying, run away, don't walk!
Pros
Salary
Cons
Very long hours, favoritism, No consistency, Poor Management
reviewed
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXApril 26, 2017
Has been reviewed.
The hospital setting was solely pediatrics. There were a lot of TPN preparations. It was my first place of work and had learnt quite a bit there.
Pros
frendly atmosphere
Cons
Night calls
Fun Place
Clerk (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 12, 2017
This is a great company to work for. It really takes care of their employees and the benefits are great. At the time I was there the cost of everything was an issue.
Pros
Frequent breaks
Cons
Budget constraints
Pediatirc and Neonatal Transport RN/EMT (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 27, 2017
Good place to work but corporate culture needs to change. Good place to learn pediatrics and neonatal. Level 3 NICU, Trauma Certified ED, PICU with heart program.
fun place to work
STUDENT NURSE TECH/CLERK (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 24, 2017
The staff is friendly, the patients are amazing. Management for the most part is accommodating and professional. Very close knit work environment, the hospital staff care and it shows. I enjoyed seeing the children everyday, helping/assisting as they heal.
Toxic Environment at the Health Plan
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 19, 2016
Management team is worthless. No support from management. Service Coordination moral is poor do to the lack of support from Service Coordination Management.
paramedic
Flight Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 29, 2016
Loved this job. Challenging and dangerous and full of more life than death. The people make this job. Their dedication. their love of the children to do everything they can to insure their survival.
Pros
The people
Great mission
Patient Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 15, 2016
Facility is all about taking care of children. Good place overall. Most employees are good employees. My department is good at working with employees schedules.
Best Children's Hospital in Texas
Transport Specialist (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXApril 22, 2016
Driscoll Children's Hospital of Corpus Christi, TX deserves the highest rating in the state of Texas. Through my long years of association with the hospital, first in the NICU and then in the Transport department, I experienced first hand the top-notch medical care and loving concern of all hospital employees toward the patients and families who come through those doors. From the tiniest 22-weeker in Neonatal Intensive Care to the 18 year-old footballer in the ER, all children are given superior attention and best quality treatment. DCH has been voted best place to work for 10 years running, and can anticipate many more years of the same vote.
Amazing Culture and Atmosphere
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXApril 21, 2016
I loved working at DCH. The patients and their families were great. The staff and atmosphere and culture of the facility was excellent.
Enjoyable place to work at
Medical Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXApril 17, 2016
A place where I enjoy working with nurses and physicians. Get to have observational opportunities watching health care practitioners interact with patients. A typical day at work consists of answering phone calls and scheduling patients with proper specialty. I have learned a lot about different diagnoses, treatments and patient interaction. Management is ok, sometimes they are not fair in regards to hostility in the workplace. Physicians and nurses are fine to work with, they cooperate with you and tell you what they need. Medical office specialists as myself have trouble with the lead supervisor as the person is impartial in the decisions they make. The hardest part of the job is sometimes clinics can be overwhelming. However, the learning opportunities are always available and that is what makes it enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible hours, have scholarships for people that are in school.
Cons
hostile work environment
A small teaching hospital
Director of Bio-Medical Engineering (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMarch 12, 2016
I was the department head of a brand new industry, a brand new technology. I was appointed as one of the first non-physician medical staff in the hospital.
Pros
A fun place to work, like a family
Great environment
Certified Medical Coder I (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 5, 2016
This is the best place to work for in Corpus Christi. The management is great, and the culture is wonderful. My co-workers and all staff are knowledgeable and are always willing to assist with anything.
Great palce to work
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXDecember 2, 2015
Loved to go to work here the management and doctors are great learned a lot of things here.
Faculty and staff make it a wonderful palce to work at. All the children that you help make it difficult to leave this place.
Benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Driscoll Children's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3