Driveline Retail Merchandising

Driveline Retail Merchandising Employer Reviews

make own hours
DRIVELINE RETAIL MERCHANDISING (Former Employee), san antonio txJanuary 19, 2015
you make your own hours, easy work,always something to do. guaranteed 20 hours a week
Competitive merchandising company
District Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 7, 2015
Meeting new people and having a sense of accomplishment with completed projects.
Flexible But Low Wages
Master Merchandiser (Current Employee), Taylorsville, INDecember 11, 2014
Pros: scheduling flexibility
Cons: driving expenses not fully compensated, low wages, working in dirty stores that are only cleaned when driveline does a reset.
The concept of this flexible schedule position has merit, however the flexibility is contrasted by time spent in preparation and submission of reports that the company does not compensate. After three years of employment I received only one raise in an amount significantly less than other retail centered positions.
There is a benefit in the ability to schedule work around a primary job, family or other activities.
Enjoyable Place of Employment
Master Merchandiser (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INNovember 26, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: not really room for advancement
I loved working for this company. The hours were amazing and very flexible. Each week I would have a list of jobs that needed to be completed in one of my stores in my territory. I would print off all the work orders and go from store to store to complete all my work for the week in the shortest amount of days to allow for the possibility to help others in their stores if need be. I loved my coworkers and I especially loved how family oriented they are. My mother worked for them as well and it was nice to know I could work along side her.
wouldn't recommend this job to a friend
field merchandiser (Current Employee), NJOctober 24, 2014
Pros: work when you're desparate, flexible schedule
Cons: no benefits, crazy management, bad mileage reimbursement system
Driveline reminds me of something my grandfather used to say - they can pinch a nickel so tight you can see the Indian riding the buffalo. I have been covering an area that averages a 60 mile round trip from my house under the premise that they were reimbursing me after 30 miles. I took that to mean total but they pay .30 after 30 in each direction. There is no way to recoup those costs and HR took almost 2 months to respond to my inquiries. After another DM stepped in to help mine out is when I finally got a response to my travel questions. The thing that made the least sense with this company is shuffling jobs around at the last minute. I always completed what was on my schedule and frequently picked up work that others hadn't completed traveling well out of my home area. The same day that the other DM called me about some jobs that I was actually driving to, my DM moved half of it to another person. I went to the furthest one first, knocked out that and another town, and when I was getting ready to do the last town, the jobs were no longer on my schedule!! When I called to find out what was going on I was asked, didn't you get my email? I sent it right after you hung up. Why on earth would you move a job to someone else when it was reiterated 4 times that I was on my way there and they weren't late? That would deserve a phone call. Two days later I get a call about something happening in 2 weeks. That would've been fine in an email. If it were an isolated incident I wouldn't be writing this. That was last week. This week I went to my stores - 26 to 38 miles away - to do some – more... things that required receipt of materials for a return. Things don't always show up when they're marked as pending receipt. I got them, went and when I went to one of my stores it wasn't on my schedule any more. The job was moved to someone who doesn't have the necessary forms to complete this.
They say their system automatically calculates your mileage based on Google Maps. I guess they don't know where I live because their calculation is 5 miles off and I've looked at Google Maps. There is no way to get reimbursed for things like bridge tolls and parking so don't do that for them unless you have advanced knowledge of how you're going to get paid. Another thing is that you can't always report work dates correctly so there's no way their mileage thing works. – less
Productive place, requires alot of traveling
Merchandiser (Current Employee), McAllen TexasSeptember 30, 2014
typical day at work is visiting several stores and restocking products.
Great work/familyBalance But...
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Simpsonville, SCSeptember 5, 2014
Great work/family balance but wage is bad. Some employees find ways to bend rules
I enjoy my work but it is a seasonal job and I am looking for a full time position.
Master Merchandiser (Current Employee), Taylorville, ILJuly 30, 2014
I read plannograms and do resets of merchandise in many stores.
Great for Extra Income
Master Merchandiser (Current Employee), Charlotte,NCApril 2, 2014
Pros: make your own hours
Cons: jobs aren't worth the pay because you don't work long
a typical day would consist of traveling store to store preforming audits and doing resets for the clients of driveline retail.
The most enjoyable part of this job is that you make your own hours and it's Monday through Thursday.
Enjoyable working with retail clients and their district and regional managers.
Regional Manager (Former Employee), Irving, TXFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: satisfaction in having an award winning team.
Cons: had to work 7 days a week.
Fast paced and deadline sensitive responsibilityto clients. I supervised 14 district managers over a 3 stae area. Oklahoma, Texas and the eastern half of New Mexico. Responsible for several thousand projects each month. I enjoyed my job thoroughly. I like the fast pace, multi tasking and working with my district managers as well as our client's district and regional managers.
productive workplace with nice co-workers
Surge Flex Rep (Current Employee), variesJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules
A typical day at work would be reading plan-o-grams and re-setting the shelves accordingly, dealing with different store managers, and working time efficiently. I learned how to read plan-o-grams when I started this job. I love my district manager and co-workers. The hardest part of my job is pleasing each and every manager because each person likes things done differently. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people I like and get along with.
Low/No Compensation and Poor Management - Dead End Job
Master Merchandiser (Former Employee), MarionDecember 18, 2013
Pros: pay on time
Cons: lowest pay in industusty, clueless management, no compensation for office work, not compensated for drivetime and mileage, rude and harassing messages, employees are taken advantage of, accusations w legal implications, lots of printing, no benefits
I have worked for Driveline for several years and have a small territory of Dollar General and Family Dollars stores with occasional additions of other retail establishments. The pay is less than the living wage at 9.00 an hour and you are expected to complete tasks that you are not paid for and additional responsibilities seem to be added daily. Since Driveline is not a full time position the hours are supposedly flexible to give the employee the opportunity to work around their real job's hours. However, there are many restrictions to work time, including a short 4 day work window. In the past we were allowed to move around jobs on our board to create a work schedule. This is no longer the case (at least with my GM.) All jobs, regardless of when they are due are put on the schedule to be completed in the first four days it is issued (many jobs have a 2 -3 week window) and if it is moved you will be sent a harassing email to not touch your dashboard. In many cases this leads to driving to stores to complete a 15 minute job that could have been coupled with a job at that location on the following week.

The amount of printing is unnecessary. Not only are the directions poorly written and redundant, they span 3 to 4 pages with useless information and color pictures - you are NOT reimbursed for printing. The work orders are poorly set up and usually require two pages - you are NOT reimbursed for printing. The jobs require you to also print POGs and letters of authorization that you are to leave with the store managers - you are NOT reimbursed for printing.

If you cannot find – more... components after searching the store for 15 minutes you have to call your GM. In some instances your GM will ask to speak to the manager giving the impression that your word is not taken as truth. After 15 minutes of determining that the project is not in the store, you are told to contact support to request materials. Support is a term we will use loosely. The call lines are usually busy and you will experience a wait - after they are answered by someone who is usually asks why you are calling in a effort to show that your call is unimportant and disrupting their work. When all is said and done, you have spent a good 45 minutes in the store, you have printed countess paperwork, you have driven to and from the store (Drive time & Mileage are not paid for your attempt), you are asked to take pictures, you have to fill out a report and upload images - you are only paid for 9 - 15 minutes maximum for this job. The work is not over, then you are expected to email and discuss the job with your GM, in some instances you are told to call the store and see if the components have arrived - all of this is unpaid administrative work. The job will be rescheduled and you will have to repeat all of the above (because there is no way the components have arrived yet and you are not allowed to move the job to another time to accommodate shipping times.)

GM is unavailable after 6 pm and on weekends. If you email the GM during this time you are sent an automated response stating that they are not available. After, a mass mailing will go out to the entire team full of exclamation marks and capital letters informing everyone again of the GM's office hours. Since Driveline is a second job, most employees are just getting home and trying to submit reports around this hour. So if you have a report error you will not get help at this time. If you leave the report unfinished you go on the naughty list. This is not a list you want to be on and you are penalized. You CAN however expect to receive phone calls and emails from the GM after 6 pm that you are expected to read right that second, and send a response stating that you read the email. If you do not answer your emails on the weekends you will get a nasty email telling you not to let this happen again- again, all unpaid office work.

Some jobs simply cannot be done in the amount of time they are slotted. In some case time will be added for you to complete the work, however continuity work will not be compensated. You are told to stop the second you reach your time limit. The problem with not scheduling enough time to do these weekly jobs is that the section you are working will never look refreshed and management does take notice of this. If you ask Driveline for time to complete this task (ie only 30-45 minutes to stock new shipments, organize, build holiday endcaps, add helium to balloons, refresh and entire aisle of greeting cards, take photos and enter a report on the computer) you are told the company will only pay that amount. Driveline does NOT go to bat for the employees.

Employees are taken advantage of and they are quick to let you know just how far down the totem pole you are situated. Recently they implemented a way to find duplicate images that are uploaded. If you upload an incorrect image - there is NO way to remove it and you have to contact your GM (this more than likely accounts for all the after 6 pm emails to the GM). Noting on the comments that the wrong image was uploaded is not sufficient (I have come to believe any comment left on a report in any of the comment areas is simply not read.) An automated response will be sent to your email accusing you of committing fraud and directing you to talk to your GM so they can review your history of fraud with the company. Apparently the second time this happens you are fired and since they use the work "fraud" it is likely to include legal implications and costly lawyers. You will have many many images to filter through once you get home to upload to the different reports, same sets but different stores. Accidents will happen so be careful. You are NOT paid for any of this administrative time. Entering reports, depending on the number of stores you have, will account for about an hour of unpaid work.

Basically the job is demanding of your time and does not hesitate to require work you will not be compensated for. Employees are insignificant and do not expect to be treated otherwise after the "honeymoon" period. You will be expected to go out of your way and do more than you are being paid to do. This job does not pay a living wage and the company does not give out raises. I know one merchandiser who has been with the company for close to 10 years and she is still making less than a living wage and has only received a few raises during her time with the company - she is the token "good girl" and does way more work than she is required to do. Don't expect any holidays - in fact expect weekend work to appear on your dashboard with no way to turn it down, especially during the holidays. A holiday during the week only shortens your week from 4 days to 3 days to get all work completed. Do not expect holiday bonuses. Do not expect any perks. Do not expect kudos for jobs well done. Just do your work, keep your head down and stay under the radar and you will get your tiny check in two weeks. Do expect emails demanding you give more than you are being paid to give.

I wouldn't recommend this job unless the stores you are promised are very close to where you live or you are already in the area. Even then stores can be removed and given to other employees that are added to the team with no notice. If you are a merchandiser for your area it is good to supplement work, otherwise you are working for free once you add in the expenses of the job. Dead end job. – less
Didn't even bother taking job
Merchandiser (Former Employee), MAOctober 31, 2013
I was looking for a part-time job with a decent schedule. I applied, and was hired at $9.50 hr. Then after a quick training conference call, I had to watch a couple poorly produced videos explaining various tasks. Then they start emailing you the jobs. They were about 30 minutes away and only gave me 30 minutes of work at the Dollar store. So I would have to drive 30 minutes to make about $4. Did not seem worth it.
i enjoy my job and making my own schedule
Retail Merchandising (Current Employee), Taylorville, ILSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: paid travel and drive time
Cons: not enough work or advancement
I work hard and enjoy my job. Just not enough pay or hours. no room for advancement.
Don't work here - horrible company
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Lubbock, TexasSeptember 4, 2013
Cons: poor pay, poor communication, poor management
I worked for driveline for six-seven months last year. I was not paid for training people, gas and other tasks that I was promised pay for. Recently, I was rehired and the current district manager had some kind of personal issue with me. Within a week, he added work to my schedule he knew would be late and get me in trouble. What a mess! The pay stinks. Communication is the worst part!
Set modulars in stores then stock merchandise
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Taylorville, ILSeptember 3, 2013
Checked inventory, stocked merchandise, reordered when necessary, & returned damaged & out dated products
Serves a necessary, labor intensive function in all retail industries
VP Business Development (Former Employee), Irving, TXJuly 15, 2013
Pros: every retail/cpg company has a need for their services
Cons: difficult to interject new types of business applications
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Driveline Retail Merchandising. Great support staff and a value compared to similar business applications. Wish the relationship had lasted longer.
Worst Compnay ever
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Richland Center WiFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: none that i can think of
Cons: dm's are the worst i have ever worked for in any of my positions. the pay sucks, lack of work, lack of respect.
This company sent me out on 3 jobs in the three weeks I worked for it. My DM was a jerk and made promises to me and not one was ever kept. My advise for anyone thinking of working for this company is DON'T YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!

February 25, 2013

I called and applied for a job with them, with no experience at merchandising. I got a call 2 days later, got hired. I think!! The person on the phone was in a noisy place of business, and thats just about all I could hear as she was interviewing me. After reading these reviews, and having that expercience, that I considered was non professional, I took the advice and decided I didn't want to work for them. Thanks for the reviews. Although, I would like to have a job as a merchandiser, I don't think this is the one.

Not a good company to work for.
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Knoxville, TnFebruary 1, 2013
Cons: no health care, you never meet anyone from the company. do not pay for the extra work you do..
This is not a good company to work for.. They assign you alot of work with little time to do it.. If something goes wrong they just fire you.. You
don't get a reason. You are under paid for the job you do. They pay you just over mimmum wage..
But only for the work you do in the store.. They give you nothing for the amount of paper work and equipment you use at home..
Any company that will fire you for no reason is not a good company.

DO NOT WORK FOR THEM.. IF YOU BOYCOTT THEM MAYBE THEY WILL APPECIATE THERE EMPLOYEE'S BETTER.
Flexible hours
Master Merchandiser/Area Coordinator (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYJanuary 27, 2013
Flexible schedule, great job if you like working on your own, at your own pace. workload is not steady.

February 1, 2013

this is not a store to depend on for a future