DRS Technologies

DRS Technologies Employee Reviews

Okay place
Supply Chain Analyst/Program Planner (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 8, 2016
Lots of disjointed systems - lots of opportunities to help out. Great people, but difficult environment. Great fit for high-energy individuals.
SMT Technician Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 3, 2016
I love the environment, I stay very busy all day at work.
I trained in special security requirement and safety, and trained new staff to ensure best practices were shared. I work in an team.
Pros
Hours
Cons
short breaks
Minimal supervision with extensive travel
Sr. Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 13, 2016
Providing daily customer support to U.S. military units that involved troubleshooting and repair of numerous helicopter systems. Support efforts were provided inside the U.S. and abroad at locations in a hostile environment. The most difficult part of this job was being gone for up to 15 months at a time. Job satisfaction in training and seeing U.S. military personnel progress and succeed kept me in this line of work for well over 20 years.
Pros
Freedom to work hours set by my customer and ability to work on state of the art electrical systems.
Cons
Stringent deployment schedule.
good company
Sr. Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJanuary 3, 2016
great place to work, Minor changes. a lot of work is place on the production control team that pertains to Program management group
working with a group of my peers
Field Service Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 7, 2015
1. around 8 to 10 hour workdays.
2. learned about the M1200 armored knights.
3. my peers were extremely knowledgeable and impressive technicians.
4. the hardest part was ensuring all the systems work together the way they were designed to.
5. the most enjoyable part of the job was to give my comrades a safe and reliable mode of completing their mission and come home safe to their families.
Pros
meet new people and work on new equipment
Cons
Long stays away from home.
Fun work environment and group of people
ISR Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Holloman AFB, NMNovember 7, 2015
The company did a good job of providing the necessary tools and products to compete the work correctly. All departments strive to solve problems quickly and effectively.
Great people and very rewarding work
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 28, 2015
Hard workers all working towards same goal of taking care of the end user customer. This made me very proud and it was very rewarding.
Pros
Rewarding place to work with really good people
Well Managed, good company
SR DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYSeptember 18, 2015
Fine Place to work. I would return if needed.
Great interesting machines to design, mostly one offs.
From large portable ac units to a Minuteman Missle Transporter.
Solid Mechanical Engineering dept
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLSeptember 16, 2015
The mechanical engineering department at DRS has evolved in the last 5 years to become a powerhouse of analysis and design. The team works well together, and mutual respect is prominent. Daily activities are not micro managed, though schedules can be demanding at times.

Outside of mechanical engineering, the supply chain and manufacturing departments can be a pain to work with as not-my-job syndrome lurks in the corridors. Program management is hit-or-miss with some better than others.
Pros
Mechanical department is top-notch
Cons
supply chain and manufacturing can be painful to work with
Good work environment and team oriented atmosphere.
Proposal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 9, 2015
Good work environment and team oriented atmosphere. Modern building with a break room and other perks including kitchen area with coffee and snacks.
Pros
Bagels and breakfast stuff on Fridays.
Cons
Long hours some days.
Skilled Electrical/Mechanical Assembler (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 15, 2015
Very good place to work. Extremely talented and dedicated production and management teams.Doing a very important job for The United States Navy and our national security.We perform a vast number of assembly-build and testing procedures.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling/Start times/benefitts
Cons
Can be stressfull at times
Fast paced work environment
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 16, 2015
There are some truly fantastic people at this company but there is also alot of restructuring. The high level management is relatively new and their efforts so far are encouraging. A typical day will depend heavily on the programs you work. Some are well managed, others are not.

Heathcare and other peripheral benefits are excellent but the pay is below industry standard. The work day is the 9/80 schedule which is non-negotiable.
Pros
Healthcare, industry, product development
Cons
salary rates, work load, job security
enjoyed my job
Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJune 29, 2015
enjoyed my job ,but the company downsized and i lost my job! i did get to learn how to solder and fix broken harnesses for military.
Cons
loss of job due to downsizing
An excellent place to work because of the challenging work and the overall competentancy of the staff.
Engineering Aide (Former Employee) –  MilwaukeeJune 26, 2015
Most of the co-workers subscribe to the concept of quality workmanship and sound design standards. Because of the team, it is always possible to find an answer to the most difficult design issues.
Pros
Challenging work
Cons
Dependent on Government contracts
Painter (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 20, 2015
It was a great job i just couldn't use the 36' ft ladder.

You can get as much overtime as you want.

Management is great and they actually show their faces everyday
Pros
great work environment, and great people
Cons
you will get fired if you cant use the ladders
Manufacturing Spacialist III (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLJune 12, 2015
I learned a number of new ways to work at DRS Technologies, the work environment was good. Some times, as part as being the rework and repair specialist, the work was a little bit hard; however is was always a learning experience.
Rewarding and exciting place to work.
Electronics Technician II (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 10, 2015
I found DRS to be an exciting place to work and learn new things. I found that most of the supervisors were willing to help you learn whatever you needed or even what you wanted to learn. I would like to work for them again if asked.
Pros
The people and company are willing to work with the employee to make both stronger.
Cons
Don't really have any cons.
No Senior Management
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMay 7, 2015
I've worked there several years through high profit years and, later, multiple layoffs and am highly dissappointed with the senior management. The company lacks direction and the effects can be seen in the daily operations and culture.
Challenging place to work with dedicated workforce
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 13, 2015
Dedicated work force that wants to succeed.

Management structure that is not successful and struggles to define success on projects. Customer oriented to a fault. Uses government contracts to perform development instead of investing in research and development.
Pros
good compensation & challenging work
Cons
horrible neighborhood to work in, low tech facility to do world class work.
Use to be great, not sure what happened.
Sheetmetal Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMarch 7, 2015
5 years ago, this was the best place I'd ever worked. Today, I can't hardly even recognize it as the same place. We were furloughed for 5 months in 2013, (some folks for closer to 8 months) due to the contract award being challenged. It hasn't been the same since. We use to have 100% of everything we needed on hand whenever we needed it, now you may have to wait 2 weeks for something as simple as a rivet, a washer, maybe a cotter pin. For that matter, I was told a couple of weeks ago that a standard everyday piece of hazmat was on back order and was 30 days out. The item in question is readily available at Autozone for 3 bucks, but the clowns running supply in this place couldn't get it any sooner than 30 days. Every person in this place whose job it is to procure anything needs to be removed and replaced. And quickly. But they won't be. They'll just keep running wild and making bad decisions without any fear of ever answering for their stupidity, and eventually they'll have to shut the doors because we can't get a screw or a nylon scrub brush. Also, after losing a ton of talent after the furlough due to a bunch of good folks taking other jobs, we barely have enough people on the floor to run 1 effective shift. And they're still leaving twice as fast as they're coming in. So the obvious fix for being shorthanded is to spread that one shift out over 3 shifts, so you're operating 7 days a week instead of 5. Nevermind the fact that now we just have 3 shifts that can't get anything done due to being shorthanded, instead of just the one. So now everybody's been working 7 days a week  more... for I don't even know how long just so we can try and stay afloat. You can't make this stuff up. Corporate has no grasp of what we even do here, so of course they micro manage every tiny detail of the facility to the point that the VP and upper management are restricted from fixing things that need fixed. DRS corporate is going to micromanage this place right into the ground. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. Right before the furlough, this place was at the top of its game. Running like a finely tuned sewing machine. We came back after the furlough, and they've spent the last 2 years trying to find a way to "fix" a system that was perfect. The people here are great to work with, the pay is good, the benefits are fantastic, but the stability is gone, and I'm not sure it's ever coming back.  less
Pros
people, pay, benefits
Cons
no job security, too many trivial constraints that could be easily fixed, but too many people in command refusing to acknowledge the issues, "get on board now or get on down the road" mentality, even when new processes are a blatant failure.