Drug Enforcement Administration Employee Reviews

A great agency to work for
Secretary (OA) GS (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 16, 2015
I enjoyed working for this agency and I received advancement in my field. I was given opportunities to attend seminars and classes to advance my career.
Pros
We had many perks to help us save money.
Cons
Just the security aspects.
Manage and coordinate complex international investigations
Assistant Special Agent in Charge (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VASeptember 14, 2015
Leading federal law enforcement agency investigating transnational organized crime, using cutting edge technology. Motivated employees serving the United States.
excellent
program assistant (Former Employee) –  miami flAugust 17, 2015
Excellent place to work for with room for growth and advancement. Great hours, great days off. Learned various aspects of this particular sector
Pros
atmosphere
Excellant Career
Supervisory Special Agent (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2015
My 28 years has been a great journey in federal law enforcement. I am very proud to have served this country in the war on drugs.
Very nice place to work!
Investigative Assistant, DEA (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2015
Great place to work! The only problem is no advancement because of Veteran's preference. The people are nice, environment is good, management is approachable and very fair.
nice place to work but no real advancement oportuities
Computer Operator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 24, 2015
transmit messages and maintain operational connection with other branches of government. filing hard copy messages for department personal to pick up.
Great work environment
Spanish linguist/Transcriber (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 24, 2015
Spanish translating, good work environment, enjoyed traveling and meeting people. Good pay and overtime at times. Learn about different aspects of the Spanish/English slang in different parts of the states.
Mission Oriented
Assistant Special Agent in Charge (ASAC) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 20, 2015
A typical work day included multiple meetings with subordinates while constantly reviewing short and long term goals
Pros
Mission oriented
Cons
An organization with a clear mission and team approach
Records Examiner (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 18, 2015
Wonderful agency with a clear mission. An inclusive team approach helped to tackle new challenges.
Difficulties arise from lack of funding and changing management structure. These challenges are met with the dedication of staff.
Pros
An inclusive culture
Cons
frequent management changes
fun to work
System Administrator (DOJ) (Current Employee) –  weston , floridaApril 10, 2015
very good place , because you are working with law enforcement, people come and goes. we are having transfer everyday... but me I don't have no where to go with my position because I'm a contractor there ... and we have a new company that is coming
Intelligence Analyst
Intelligence Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2015
Supported the Special Agents on Drug Task Force operations. I was at the DEA Academy in Quantico, VA.

Used IBM i2 Analyst Notebook
Pros
Real-life operations
Cons
Very difficult work environment
Great work environment
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 10, 2015
A great work environment! Managers are supportive and there are many opportunities for advancement around the world.
Pros
opportunities for advancement
Cons
n/a
Dea
Diversions Clerk (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 12, 2015
Great Job!! The mission of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) is to enforce the controlled substances laws and regulations of the United States and bring to the criminal and civil justice system of the United States, or any other competent jurisdiction, those organizations and principal members of organizations, involved in the growing, manufacture, or distribution of controlled substances appearing in or destined for illicit traffic in the United States; and to recommend and support non-enforcement programs aimed at reducing the availability of illicit controlled substances on the domestic and international markets. It is a government job and it has it PERKS but there are also cons.. But its a great job!
I like my job...
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAFebruary 11, 2015
I'm in my 12th year working for my company and am very satisfied. As with any company there are highs and lows but we have a great staff and good management who continue to try to encourage, maintain and improve morale.
Counter Intelligence Intern
Counterintelligence Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 7, 2015
I completed a great deal of online training which included: DEA environmental Management Systems Awareness training, Department of Justice Continuity of Overview (COOP), and Records and Information Management (RIM) online training. I assisted the counter intelligence section leaders in collaboration of counter-terrorism efforts.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
commute
Great job lots of knowledge gained working here
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 26, 2015
come into work get purchase orders ready, talk to clients about previous order purchased. While here I learned how to be a leader, the hardest bout my job is learning new software's with combining them with correspondence reports. The best part of my job is getting the task done.
Job not secure
Paralegal III, Legal Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 14, 2015
The forfeiture program needs improvement. I have been working there little over 3 years.
I perform complex legal research, analysis, and review in support of the forfeiture work, including case law research and slip opinions by utilizing a variety of automated legal research tools as well as public information databases and other automated resources to research case or program-specific legal matters and to participate in assigned areas of criminal or civil proceedings; electronic discovery;
Drug Task Force
Document & Media Exploitation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 9, 2015
In this environment we are surrounded by experienced, astute, and visionary leaders. DEA has a proven record of performance in leading cross-divisional criminal and intelligence operationsl. Our group is very persuasive and diplomatic in presenting to and interfacing with international organizations, top technical experts as well as federal, state and local agencies.
Pros
Great networking
Cons
Can be challenging with the amount of case work
Outstanding personnel to work with
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE (Former Employee) –  DEA Training Academy, Quantico, VirginiaNovember 11, 2014
I directed over ten DEA personnel in the International Training Section, DEA Training Academy, Quantico, Virginia. The individuals I worked with were hard working, professional and very skilled in their respective areas of responsibility.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed traveling overseas and sharing my thirty years of experience in law enforcement with foreign counterparts. I also enjoyed providing insight for managers on how to be more effective leaders.
DEA has a family environment and people really want to do the right thing.
Criminal Investigator-GS 15 Section Chief (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 30, 2014
Each day is quite different as we deal with multiple Critical Incidents. DEA is a relatively a small enforcement agency but is the best in the world in what we do. Management is not just a bunch of paper pushers that moved up the chain. Most have done the job prior to taking management positions at DEA Headquarters through direct enforcement experience.

The people are great at all levels and not your typical government agency, maybe due to our small size. My bias of course, but I believe DEA has the best Criminal Investigators in the world. I would say the same about our Intelligence Analysts. I highly respect our upper management. Except for the commute, I enjoy going to work each day. Its the people that make this job most enjoyable.
The hardest part of the job is when we have an employee injured or killed. My team and I react, sometimes without emotion, but internally we are all hurting..

As an agency we are truly a family, and that starts from the top down.
Pros
Everything I have mentioned above. Its a great agency filled with brave men and women.
Cons
Commute to work.