DRURY HOTELS

DRURY HOTELS Employee Reviews

Family-Owned Business That Cares
Front Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 8, 2012
Drury Hotels is owned by the Drury family and they incorporate a lot of family values into their business. If you do a good job, care about your work, and prove yourself worthy, there is opportunity for advancement within the company. The provide excellent training and support. When I worked for them, they had a bonus program from ALL employees where you would get a bonus check for how well your hotel did based on guest reviews. It was an excellent idea to make everyone work hard together as a team so you could ALL benefit from happy guests AND extra money!

I feel like Drury taught me a lot that is helping me through my current career. The Front Desk is an excellent place to start for young people who aren't sure what they want to do with their life or want to work part-time as they go through college. There are a lot of departments and they tend to cross-train everyone in at least 2 departments.

Management was good and bad. Sometimes my staff and I felt like our manager didn't care or wouldn't listen. Or maybe it was Corporate who made up a stupid new procedure that made us say, "Have they even WORKED in a hotel before?! That's a terrible idea!", and then we would have to follow the new rule because it was part of our job. Speaking of which, Drury boasts some of the lowest turn-over in the hospitality industry, so they will go to great measures NOT to fire someone. I worked there for over 4 years and only saw 3 people get fired. 2 were for attendance. They have a pretty fair attendance program using points, but some people would "play the system" knowing they could get away
  more... with adding on a few points because some from 6 months ago were going to "drop off soon". Corporate had an idea program where if your idea saved the company the most money/quickened a process/was awesome, then you won a gift card. The VP and a team sat down and went though ALL the ideas and RESPONDED to ALL the ideas. If a guest sent in a really good survey about you, the VP would hand-write a little message on it with a sticker and mail it to the hotel. I thought that was a really nice, personal touch! Sometimes (if you were REALLY awesome), Mr. Drury himself would send you a letter.

I feel like the hardest part of the job was just trying to keep up with the workload. Sometimes they have unreal ideas about budgets so the management has to do a lot of extra work with no compensation. Pay is good for Front Desk and even Housekeepers, but management is just okay. Because of all the extra hours I put in, I did the math one day and I didn't make much more than Front Desk because I was salary. That was kind of depressing. I feel like I got scolded for things I couldn't control (their budget was too low and needed more money to pay people extra hours because it was busy). Overall everyone worked pretty well as a team and since they take a lot of time hiring employees, most of the people were nice enough to help each other and different departments to get their work done.

With that being said, I think the best part of the job were the co-workers. We had fun (because it said in the handbook that was part of our job), we helped each other, we learned, laughed, and cried together. Plus they paid for my Bartender's License to serve at their daily happy hour. Bonus!
Pros
nice people, bonus programs, make you feel important, benefits, excellent training
Cons
sometimes too much work/pressure with no incentive, budgets could be bad, hard to get rid of bad workers to protect turn-over
Great to be a customer terrible to be an employee.
Bartender, Chef, and Houseperson (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COSeptember 11, 2015
At the Drury Inn and Suites I worked at you could walk in to pretty much anything. Our guest count would go from 100 to 450 over night. We had a small and acquitted at best team so most nights would end with all of us feeling like we just won a war.
Our general manager believed in positive reinforcement as the only form of accountability, that intern left us with quite a few employees with an inflated sense of reality. Which was the hardest part of the job. Knowing that when you came in your co-workers more than likely weren't going to be there and if they were they rarely worked.
The most enjoyable part would have to be the guests by far. I met every one from a Shaman to 12 year old traveling all star dance teams to retired war vets. I wouldn't take a second back that I spent talking to the guest.
I would say the most valuable lesson I learned was to not worry about things beyond your control. To do your job to the best of your abilities and let your work and customer relationships speak for themselves.
Pros
Quarterly raises, Quarterly bonuses, The guests
Cons
There is a systematic breakdown in management, Parts of your review are based on the quaity of the food, Forced to serve food product
JD Power and Associates 10 years running... and no value for its employees
Front Desk/Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2015
Favoritism runs rampant from the top down. after almost 8 years of working and helping out at various other properties, signing up the most Gold Key memberships, submitting the most sales leads, having my name on numerous guest satisfaction surveys, and overall being available to work A, B, and D shifts as needed, I have been told that I am still not ready to become a manager. There is a company culture that promotes that they will hire from within, yet I have personally seen over a dozen good employees at different properties consistently get passed over by outside managers being hired. Be prepared to spend your career waiting while you jump through all the hoops you can imagine, or you can pursue another venue that recognizes hard work and rewards it accordingly. I wash my hands of this place and bid it fairwell.
Pros
the guests, being a family owned/operated hotel, and hotel discounts (when you can actually get the requested time off granted)
Cons
management, micromangement, being a family owned/operated hotel, a lack of empathy for the employee's time/life commitments, and lets say that "birds of a feather flock together"
Professional and friendly atmosphere with good training.
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 14, 2014
A typical day at work consists of clocking in and sticking to the checklist. There are 3 shifts and a different checklist for each one. It is detailed with what to do, at what time, and how to do it. It comes in very handy when you are doing multiple things at once. A high-level of energy is needed. You Take notes of every contact you have with a guest. It is common to work from 3pm to midnight and be scheduled to come in at 7am the next morning. The management is professional and sharp. They go above and beyond for their employees and truly care about their staff and the guests of the hotel. The staff is just as kind. Employees are sharp and hardy individuals. The hardest parts of the job are getting everything done to clock out on time and being able to deal with sensitive topics with the utmost discretion. The most enjoyable part of the job are the guests. Most guests are cheerful and very excited to be staying at a Drury. The company provides good training in different areas of the hotel, such as: kitchen/cooking training, housekeeping training, bartending training, and maintenance training.
Pros
managers and employees, training, tips, pay
Cons
no breaks, you pay for uniform pants, inconsistant schedule
Worst Employer of the Year Award!
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  St. LouisApril 21, 2015
The amount of knowledge and responsibility along with unrealistic expectations is worth far more than the pennies they pay you for. Along with unfair actions and favoritism towards team members, and not very comparable opportunities for advancement. The industry is hard enough to work in, it's 24hrs/7days a week....the company should make the job a little more enjoyable for the people that work there. Management is inconsiderate, inconsistent, unprofessional, and not very honest. They need to revisit training strategies for new employees and even teamwork/building strategies for current employees. I've worked in hospitality before for a different hotel, but this was far worse. Def not a good place to work if you have to balance a family.

Employees couldn't have a drink from the soda machine, couldn't buy anything from the little store....but no breaks were allowed!
Pros
The guests!
Cons
no breaks, standing up to 10 hours, inconsistent schedule, no one to relieve you to even use bathroom, no management wouldn't even cover the desk for 2 minutes
Very fun place to work at with amazing people
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Findlay, OHDecember 30, 2015
I would clean rooms via Drury rules and regulations. Rooms would be timed so you had to be an efficient worker. I would great guests daily and be very polite and respectful with anyone I came in contact with in the hotel. I would also fold laundry and clean any lobby areas when needed. Management was great and very helpful. They really go out of their way to help in any way they can. My co-workers were also great. We all got along and were like a big family. The hardest part of the job was to always stay motivated when you were completely exhausted. Since rooms were timed and you have so much work in an 8hr period, if you already tired coming into work or not feeling well, it was hard to stay up to speed to keep everything on track. The enjoyable part of the job was pretty much everything else. Working by yourself is nice at times and sometimes would get help and work with other workers.
Good traveling, poor at home time
On Site Asst. Refurbishing Manager (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOAugust 9, 2015
Lived on site during the refurbishing of the different company hotels. This turns out to be the best and worse part of the job. great to travel the US. but tough being gone from home three to four months at a time
Knew a lot about remodeling of housing units, so job was easy to fit into.
On site manager was extremely generous with his time and experience knowledge.
Corporate management were not as forgiving for time restraints when outside factors introduce themselves on site. For instance late deliveries, no deliveries, contractors not completing projects in a timely manner, weather.
Corporate management should also have some personal experience of the 24-7 on site life that the employee goes through.
Pros
Travel, free hotel stays cable elec, food
Cons
Not having enough down time at home.
poor atmosphere and management
GUEST SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 1, 2013
A typical day at work consists of checking guests in and out of the computer system/hotel. all day you stand at a "station" waiting to greet the guests and assist with any needs/requests. Most guests are wonderful but you do get some who are very irritated and most of the time if you ask for any help from management they want you to solve it yourself as if you are bothering them. Atmosphere is great except for the internal jealousy and bickering that constantly goes on within the departments. Management plays a lot on favoritism when it comes to requests i.e. the schedule. the only good thing they do is with every major holiday they provide a luncheon for their employees to show appreciation.
Pros
luncheons, fun guests
Cons
no breaks or very short breaks, not allowed to leave your department to get lunch
Great management, great benefits, much room for climb in the company
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOJune 26, 2014
In my time at Drury I was responsible for the general well being, security, and ease of access for any guest coming into the hotel. While here I made advanced reservations, serviced guests rooms, assisted with property maintenance, tended bar, counted the cash drawer before and after my shift, and during nights I was the only employee on cite and was responsible for the entire building. The shifts were well structured and I worked with great people. All sectors of the staff from front desk, to house keeping, to maintenence worked flawlessly and our hotel was consistently awarded for outstanding customer service.
Pros
great pay, managers care, awesome incentives
Cons
push for email newsletter sign ups took away from speed of guest check in
Great place to work!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 4, 2013
Great company to work for with opportunity for advancement. Most management positions are filled internally. Bonus pay, medical, dental, 401k benefits to name a few. Would work for them again in a heart beat! Only downside is that typical manager often goes in to work at 6am or if late shift works until 7 or 8pm. Usually 10 hour shifts. Not your typical 8-5 job. Hours vary depending on the hotel's need for that week. General managers are required to work on New Year's eve and stay at the hotel over night. Other than that, work is fair and it is the type of company where you get to know managers from other cities and people from the corporate office. There is always someone to help in times of need.
horrible management presence, hostile environment
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 12, 2014
management does not seem to care about the employees well being, if you need to take off for any reason whatsoever including medical it is an inconvenience, everything is not under the general managers jurisdiction and must be reviewed by corporate. This causes severe issues with hiring and terminating employees. The hours are not comparable with lifestyles, and they are not flexible. They will ask you to work and do things that are not only unethical but in some instances illegal such as tending the bar without a license. Some of the coworkers are incompetent and they use methods of the stone age, and the manager is very inexperienced and does not have a clue what he is doing.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
I worked alone most the time , i like working as a team also but being alone i get all my work done with no hesitation.
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 23, 2014
A typical day a work is just being able to complete all my task being able take a break to regroup and start over fresh and most of all being excited to work and learn new things.The hardest part of my job was having to get done cleaning rooms in a certain amount of time but i almays met my goal time.My co workers was nice and friendly when it came down to things i didnt know they provided me helpful information.The most enjoyable part about my job was being able to make money , i have a family and a home to provide for so i loved getting up going to work everyday on time and i made the best out of my job !!
Do your Homework on Drury Hotels
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 3, 2015
The micromanaging by upper management will stunt your professional growth in a Regional Position. Very little management layers internally. A lot of travel required. There is no local growth opportunities from this position. Be prepared to take on a tremendous workload and be excessively scrutinized for your work that you do. If you're not good at playing the company politics, walk away. Great training program for anyone under a Regional Position; extremely structured with clear expectations provided. Average benefits and comparable to industry standards.
Pros
offer average health benefits and a 401k with a company match
Cons
lack of support from management, not empowered to make decisions by upper management, corporate/st. louis directors and managers do not hold themselves to the same expectations
Exciting Place to Work with Flexible Schedules
Executive Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 15, 2012
At Drury Inn there is never a dull moment. You meet people from all walks of life, meaning good and bad. Management is ever changing but all are good people. Co-workers come and go, mostly students are employed at the hotel, so the front desk attendants tend to change every couple of years. The hardest part of the job can be working weekends and holidays when no one else is working. The best part of the job would have to be the guests, although they can be the best and the worst part sometimes!
Pros
401k, health insurance, full-time is considered 30 hours.
Cons
the hotel is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. most holidays are mandatory to work, including christmas.
Fun Work Place With a Great Team
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 20, 2013
i love housekeeping because i love to clean seeing new faces and talking with wonderful people from all around the world even if they were having a bad day i would find some type of way to brighting that guest day. i learned how to tighting a bed. Management was good, co-workers were fun to work with if i need help on a task they would help me and if they needed any kind of help i would help them we worked together as a team. the hardest part of the job. when 2 or 3 co-workers call off work there would be a little more work for the workers that have shown for work. the most enjoyable part of the job was takeing care of the guest and watching them leave with smiles.
Pros
n/a
Cons
short breaks
A Great Family Owned Company to work for
Front Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COJuly 27, 2013
• Cultivate knowledge of property amenities and available services to fully develop counter sales efforts and reinforce chain/ brand loyalty.
• Verify guest rates and charges. Process no shows and print daily operational reports.
• Prep breakfast/ bar according to food and beverage sanitation safety requirements. Stock, inventory and report needed supplies.
• Accounts receivable
• Room rates maintenance with corporate office and internet listings
• Human Resources- hiring, training, and scheduling desk personnel
• Guest Relations-manage guest concerns and provide profitable resolutions
• Responsible to maximize sales
• Reservations, cancellations and special events
Pros
good health insurance, fun environment
Cons
close to 60hours a week on salary
Walk in and get the job done
Assistant Executive Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Independence, KSMarch 5, 2014
Every night clock in stretch and get to work. learned how to load an unload multiple trucks, shipping, receiving, and packing in just the short time that I was employed. management would check on us every so often making sure that we were ok or just talking to us getting to know us a little better. hardest part of the job is trying to hear what people are saying because it was so loud. most enjoyable part of the job for me was just being able to load and unload the trucks and lifting, it was like I was in my own personal gym.
Pros
listening to our music
Cons
working wit the wrong person that liked to just watch me do the work myself
Work Family
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  san antonio, txFebruary 8, 2013
Working at Drury was at first a great place. Working at thier smaller properties is a breeze, lots of work but you welcome it and can handle it with out the extra stress. However I was asked to move to another of thier larger more busy properties and that was whole different horror story. The work environment was not as tight knit as the smaller hotels. Some of the policies and procedures that seem to work great at their smaller hotels just have no business being done at the larger beast of thier other hotels. The company means well, but they are just now getting into the larger hotel industry and are starting to get the "jist" of it.
Pros
room discounts, company cares about employees and usually easy to advance
Cons
micro manage
A lot of favoritism
Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 1, 2013
Drury tries to sell their company as a great place to work. They will tell you that you will have a much better quality of life working for them than with any other company - it's a lie. They are no different than any other company out there. Their Regional Managers are very biased and show a lot of favoritism and if you're not a "favorite", good luck getting a promotion. It's a very small company still so if you make one mistake you can count on your reputation being ruined because word gets around real fast. They have one good thing going for them: they know how to take care of the guests. Unfortunately, not their dedicated employees.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
they want your life to revolve around drury!
Drury Inn & Suites, 735 w. Goodman Rd,Hornlake MS
NONE (Former Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSSeptember 27, 2013
I learned to clean professionally, The Main Manager was amazing, he will do anything to help people. He is also a hot sexy young guy . He loves to make people smile, You can just look at him and smile all day. He is very friendly. Most housekeepers up there are great except one. The lady over the Housekeepers that works under the manager should be fired. She tells confidential things to the housekeepers when it is suppose to stay private. Other than that its a lovely great amazing place. Clean Rooms and good breakfast.
Pros
good manager, nice paychecks, good co workers
Cons
the woman over house keepers