DSC Logistics Employee Reviews

They do not listen to the employees that work with the products.
Leadman (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 25, 2015
Started as a Lead man then I stepped down to lift driver after being told numerous times that I could not do the task they put me on. Was told by Dsc that I do not know how to load a truck. I loaded trucks at every company I worked for. I many have had 5-6 trucks return for over weight in all the years I have been doing loads. I worked with Kraft products at most of the companies. They need to take into consideration the views of the employees that have worked with the products and set ups for numerous years. It has been an established way from Kraft of doing the task with their products. I loaded trucks at every company I worked for even while in High School. I want to work for a company that appreciates their people. Most of the lift driver do not like the way management works there. Management treats the employees like they are beneath them. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the management. I have never had any problems working with management before at any place I worked. I have high respect for management, but not when employees are treated bad. One example was my daughter was going into the hospital for a personal emergency procedure. I was told by management to leave and go to my daughter. When I got back the next day, was told I was given a point because it was not an approved absent. Only allowed so many points and then fired. No matter how well you work.
Pros
a lot of over time available
Cons
Many are mandatory. No exceptions.
liked forklift driving, drove stand up high stacker crowns, putting and getting product out of double deep racks
Window Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ILMarch 27, 2013
In the 10 yrs there I did multiple jobs, enjoyed the 3rd shift, when they closed 3rd, went to 2nd. started as a picker, went to putaway, then lead of 3rd, teaching the new employes the RF system on the trucks so they would be successful in our picking process, then went to window clerk taking care of 4 accounts, printing all containers coming in for these 4 accounts, putting employees on the trucks needed to be unloaded, putting all truck drivers in doors for either outbound or inbound functions. Printed all bills for everything that was going out for the night that was picked thu out the day, making sure that everything was loaded and all bills signed by drivers and that they had their copies and we had ours. Really enjoyed the physical part of this job, worked alot of 12 hr days, so when I did this I was able still drive the fork lifts and pick orders , I like staying in shape and healthy.
Pros
variety of jobs to do, if slow could get on floor and work
Receiving Forklift Operator
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJanuary 16, 2013
Jobs not hard and fellow employees usually work well together. Chances of lasting long are remote. This company does not allow for any mistakes, 13 lift operators fired last year on the receiving side. Report damage and it's your fault, get a write up. Have even a small accident with no damage and your fired. Average day you'll check, 200 pallets, which may have mixed cases at the factory, miss 3 cases in a year and your fired. Overtime is mandatory and never with advanced notice. People are just another piece of equipment to be replaced if it's damaged or has a bad day. 10 years means nothing to these people. Get ill and if your out for awhile, they'll find away to fire you when you return. Quit, even with 2 weeks notice and you'll never be hired back. I liked the work, but management is none responsive to employee concerns beyond what to have at the summer picnic.
Pros
beats unemployment, pay is fair
Cons
no secruity, no advancement, no respect
office environment
Customer Service Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Rural Hall, NCAugust 13, 2013
Upon arrival, prepare a snapshot of information pertaining to customer orders, status of loading, and types of orders that were shipping for both current and previous business day; this is for both inbound and outbound product. Around 10:30 am, I began to receive orders via EDI for next day shipment. Collaborated with our transportation department in Chicago, IL for verification of all orders received from customers. I also handled special requests for same day and rush orders upon customer request. Responsible for maintaining quality records of bill of ladings for incoming and outgoing product. Responsible for monitoring quality information with regards to returns to manufacturing and product holds. Monitored clerical shipment and receiving activities. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to assist my direct reports with answers about their job. I have learned a lot from this company my career began at the age of 19 as a temporary shipping clerk. I was promoted to management 4 years later. The most challenging part of my job is the demanding hours and 50 mile one way commute.
Horrible work environment. Terrible job.
Case Picker (Former Employee) –  Rural Hall, NCJuly 28, 2013
Being a case picker here is equivalent to slavery. Uses computerized monitoring system to keep you working at a ridiculously fast pace or you will be written up. One hour before you get off, can be told you have to stay another 2 to 4 hours or you will get a point and eventually written up. 10 pts or 3 write ups and you're fired. Write ups stay in your file for one year, keeps you from moving to different job or promoted too. Management smiles in your face and acts like they care about you but really don't give a dead rat's butt. Ask a question they don't like, will be told "we're not going to talk about that." Make a mistake, have an accident, object and you will be fired. Employee moral extremely low due to company practices and management. I quit after 90 days.
Pros
paid lunch/breaks. work 7hrs, paid for 8.
Cons
poor indifferent management, computer slave driver.
Productive workplace
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Marion, ARJuly 19, 2014
The manager is better informed and more up-to-date with his or her people's activities (and more in touch with what lies beyond, e.g., customers, suppliers, competitors, markets, etc)
Difficult issues can be identified, discussed and resolved quickly, before they become more serious.
Help can be given more readily - people rarely ask unless they see a good opportunity to do so - the regular informal review provides just this.
Assignments, tasks and objectives can be agreed completed and reviewed quickly - leaving actions more than a few weeks reduces completion rates significantly for all but the most senior and experienced people.
Objectives, direction, and purpose is more up-to-date - modern organizations demand more flexibility than a single annual review allows - priorities often change through the year, so people need to be re-directed and re-focused.
Fair place to work
Forklift Driver/Picker/Loader (Current Employee) –  Rural Hall, NCMarch 26, 2012
Start with a morning meeting where orders are handed out. Everyone branch off to there designated department. You and your co workers are working on the same orders at times. Therefore communication was necessary. Management was helpful but most solutions came from the experience on the floor. The hardest part is finding things to do during down time or on slow days without taking VTO. They also operate on a POP system that is flawed. It is designed for the pickline and they want other departments to use the same system and many lost their jobs because the process was not properly explained.
Pros
the work environment is peaceful, job has some incentives
Cons
high turnover rate, not a great place for advancement, can be overdemanding at times
Great business environment, very professional, and just a great place to work.
Stand-Up & Sit-Down Fork Operator (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJanuary 4, 2014
everything is organized,categorized, and at hand for the employees when needed. I feel it very professional because the Leads, Managers, supervisors, and everyone else up the chain of command are great people, they think about the workers as well as the business that they are running. They like to have meetings to see and hear whats on are mind and if there is anything we can do to improve within the business and our work family. DSC Logistics is a great place to work because we were a family and we were involved in a lot of things outside of just working, we've had parties, bar-be-q, grab bags, and give-away to celebrate the safety and accomplishments of the worker and company.
Pros
they listen to what needs to be said and heard
Cons
a little to displinary
Typical days at DSC
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAMay 18, 2012
DSC isn't too bad of a place to work because no place is perfect. Some days are better than others. The biggest problem there is job security. For general laborers you are pretty much safe but if you are a forklift operator or a part of management you don't know what each passing day may bring. My co-workers are pretty easy to get along with but that also has to deal with the fact that I am a well-rounded person who gets along with everyone but also gets the job done. The hardest part of the job has to be standing up on your feet on concrete all day with the exception of two breaks. We tend to work anywhere between eight hours and twelve hours with no advance notice.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
long hours with no advance notice
Chewed up, sucked dry, spit out
Inventory Control & Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairburn, GAOctober 11, 2014
HR makes up the rules as they go along, rules are not enforced uniformly for all, upper management is allowed to engage in boorish, condescending behavior with no accountability. bottom to top feedback is not solicited, so management's opinion of itself is one-sided and offers no opportunity for improvement. I was afforded zero guidance, training, assistance, consulting, or support on my career or my growth. Continually made to feel as a third wheel since management had little to no technical aptitude to understand what I did. Absolutely no concern was afforded to the work/life balance...my workload required 12-14 hr days + weekends.
Work is simple once you learn the job
Manager, Logistics Team (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAApril 23, 2012
In my daliy job functions. I would setup orders to be picked and checked in by my employees. Perform a daily startup meeting with all of my employees to let them know what was on the job agenda for that day. One of the hardest parts was letting someone go for a simple mistake that could have been pervented. I enjoyed all of my employees and didnt cut any corners with them. Held all of them to the same standard and they all knew that. I was had a open door policy with my employees.Over the years of being with this company I recieved my greatest knowlegde about the WMS as well as alot of my managment details.
Pros
working with the employees
Cons
doesnt allow employees to make mistakes
Give away alot of free items to employess
Layer picker/Scout (Mentor) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 15, 2013
Every day i would run a machine called a Layer Picker getting customers request for outbound orders. It was a new machine within the company in which i was the pilot and it made me able to travel to train other employees in the network. some managers are very understanding and some just don't care. The co-workers are good individuals and team players for some with the exception of others.The hardest part of the job was the schedule was up and down with time. The job wa enjoyable because i got to travel all expense paid.
Pros
paid lunch, cookouts and they gave away gift cards
Cons
only one break and supervisors always bump heads.
poor managment from top to bottom
Fork lift operator (Former Employee) –  Raphine, VASeptember 16, 2015
all I can say if you got rid of the dumb ones in charge it would be a whole lot better place ....I turned in a manager for cussing me and a month latter he still was there and they came up with a lame excuse to fire me.... stopped 10 feet away from another lift and it was called a close call by the human resource lady who knows nothing about nothing in the warehouse .. you pass lifts everyday in the aisles only inches apart
Pros
it was a job .pay not bad
Cons
nobody's job is safe they fire for no reason
Workplace is a good place to work
warehouse (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2013
The warehouse is a good place to work however there are several people in management and hourly employees who are very unprofessional and do not know what is personal and what is professional. There is not a great deal of cross training so I have a lot of overtime and can not predict when I can or can not get off work. The benefits are good and I have moved around in the company in the five years I have been there. The hardest part of the job is that you have to multitask while handling issues, meetings, and your day to day activities. I enjoy the fact that I stay busy and that there is no one micromanaging what you do and how you do it.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
short lunch and workplace gossip that includes members management.
worst place I have ever worked at
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAJanuary 7, 2015
They work you 8hrs with 1 30 minute lunch and no breaks.If you work 12 hrs you get 1 30 minute lunch and 1 10 minute break all the while trying to meet unrealistic production goals picking cases.Then you might come to work for 8 hrs then they tell you have to work 12hrs with no notice and they force you to work your days off or you will be fired.I was there for 2 months while seeing them fire more then 100 employees, some of them tenure employees. Worst place ever.Kinda like a sweat lodge or factory.
Pros
cool employees
Cons
everything is terrible
Productive, friendly and fun workplace
INVENTORY CLERK (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAAugust 4, 2013
Typical workday could be hectic, it's a fast paced environment, just have to stay focused and keep up. I learned different positions within the company, such as CSR, Inbound and Outbound clerks positions and different ways to solve shortages and overages. Management was great and so was my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was having to stay on the FLO about how they were stacking product and the most enjoyable part of my job was getting to learn different things.
Pros
learned a lot of different positions in the company
Cons
too many complaints
By far the worst job I have ever had.
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 7, 2012
They pay decent compared to the other places that pay straight up slave wages but that's the only thing I can say good about it. You are monitored everyday by red prarie. Management are all arrogant and use the monitoring system to make their employees work harder so that they look better. They keep their employees ignorant of how the system works so they can manipulate it to their advantage. They show favoritism and set certain employees up to fail if they don't like you.
Industrial Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Breinigsville, PAJune 16, 2014
A typical day for me at work would first be to do attendance. Stretches so that no one pulls a muscle while working. My group will than go to the station assigned to them, I will go over instructions, build an example so they can look at. Make sure all the products and corrugate are correct. I do an hourly check to make sure we are being productive and on not falling behind as well.
Pros
good enviroment
Cons
one break, pay
Dsc review
Certified Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILMarch 3, 2014
A typical day would consist of unloaded staged and live trailers
I learned how to unload and accurately count product intake
Management was excellent I knew exactly what was needed on a day to day basis
Co-workers were great huge amount of teamwork
Hardest part I would say was finding space to stage product
The most enjoyable part of the job was I stayed busy no down time
Pros
quarterly incentives based upon job performance
Cons
short notice for mandatory overtime
dedicated case picker
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJune 14, 2015
I eventually learned how to do the loading and unloading of trucks.

I started as a dedicated case picker for customer orders. average for warehouse was 1500 cases per day I was averging 2000-2500.

I also did inventory auditing.

I kno how to drive forklifts, reach trucks, clamp trucks, cherry pickers, stand up and sitdown.

The hardest part of the job was the clean up during the last 30 min of every work shift, I felt it was pointless busy work and would rather keep picking.