Pros: modern office, generous pay, nice benefits, cutting edge it
Cons: improper management, nepotism, no job security, abusive senior management, lack of communication, no bonuses typically, inflexible time policies
I had the misfortune of being employed at DSCI. I left a stable, happy career for DSCI with the promise of a great future and higher pay. Wow - did I make a mistake.
This company has serious problems and most of them stem from the management and executive levels.
1) DSCI is extremely cheap when it comes to certain things (i.e. no utensils in the cafeteria) but will throw money at projects and people that they have no business doing.
2) The communication in certain departments is abysmal - individuals go days and sometimes weeks without knowing what they are "supposed to be" working on.
3) Nepotism is a MAJOR issue. An executive there employs family, friends, neighbors, etc. These people are exempt from policy and some of them seriously under perform and are overpaid. If you are not in this "circle" you are always a sneeze away from termination.
4) Abuse - in July of 2012, one of the higher up executives held a meeting that was mandatory under threat of immediate termination. Cell phones were not permitted in the room to avoid his ABUSE from being digitally recorded. This executive proceeded to verbally abuse and call out individual employees and the company as a whole for hours. No reason was ever given as to why he proceeded to do this. He also threatened individuals pay and employment for time card violations. The threat was retroactive to the beginning of the year. Sadly - this executive and his family was guilty of these same violations he was threatening people about. Repeat offenders I can understand making warnings to - but not to individuals who were an hour late – more... on getting their time in once or twice.
5) Bad reputation in the industry. DSCI has been steadily losing contracts and has not secured a steady financial future for themselves. This is the result of a company that grew too fast for its own good and did not have proper management to guide it. Layoffs / Terminations have been rampant. Morale is close to 0. Last year's summer event was cancelled.
6) Completely inflexible with time. Be there during office hours or use PTO. This is the year 2013 - times have changed, work from home and flex time are the norm.
7) Fraudulent practices are taking place here - and at some point the DOD will catch on and there will be serious repercussions.
I wouldn't recommend working here unless you were desperate for a job - and then - accept the offer and keep looking. – less