DSM Employee Reviews in United States

Stay away from i-Health in Cromwell
Supply Chain Specialist (Current Employee) –  CromwellAugust 23, 2016
I-Health has become a revolving door. So much turnover and it is directly related to the poor leadership of the so called Management Team.

If you need proof look how many openings they have.

All management team members are timid, weak and lack leadership skills. No one respects them either.

Go ahead and accept an offer if you are prepared to be treated well in the beginning then poorly and eventually fired.
Pros
NONE
Cons
The worst place we have ever worked
Making Production safe and reliable.
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAJuly 14, 2016
Typical day at work is routinely taking readings and performing task assigned for the day while plant is stable and under control.
I have learned that every day is a different day in the life of an operator and you have to adjust with the plant as your day progress.
Management in my area was great because they would listen to your comments and input of certain issues which we (operators) see everyday and understand certain root cause of some skirmish.
My coworkers are and where great. Everyone had each other back when issues required more than one hand.
The hardest part of the job when an upset after an upset can keep you running for 12hours straight.
The most enjoyable part of the job is realizing at the end of the day my family is reaping the benefits of my hard labor and well off.
Pros
Supplied materials for job tasks at hand without questions.
Cons
hustle and bustle when plant is limping along.
Was a great place to work, not so much anymore!
Fiber Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 10, 2016
Several years ago was a great place to work but not any more. No trust in management, no support, issues never resolved, constant issues with pay and not compensated accurately, and no accountability for performance. Very stressful company overall to work for.
Pros
Some coworkers great to work with.
Good company, reasonable workload
Fiber Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCApril 27, 2016
once this was a great place to work, it's still good but no longer great. Going from temp to perm can take up to 2 years and even after you receive your offer it may take months to actually "get hired".
Pros
bonus potential, very reasonable work load good insurance
Cons
can never reach HR, and they never return calls, Company really drags about the hiring process, with the goal of not hiring you in time for the bonus, causing you to wait as long as twenty months for a raise.
Good people around you, NOT management.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 19, 2016
Worked there (Fortitech) several years before it got acquired by DSM in 2014 and until that point it was running smooth. Once DSM steped in and gave the plant manager power, then all productivity levels came to a fall. Manager hand picked her best friend to be her right hand (assistant manager) in accordance with HR person. Bad decisions lead to good workers leaving and getting fired left and right and no longer looked forward going to work. Constantly firing and hiring new people all the time because that is how management the ONT facility make it work. If DSM were to appoint a new manager today, I will honestly go back because there is a lot of good people working there.
Pros
Full time job, good 401k and good people around you.
Cons
Management controls this facility their own way, not the DSM way.
Use of my skills was appreicated
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCDecember 29, 2015
Work with talented co-workers. A very people oriented environment.
A typical work day was never the same. Most enjoyable of the job was support of management and my team.
Pros
Training was stressed and managmented very well
Cons
Short of staff
An excellent office job
Admininstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VANovember 16, 2015
Daily activities included maintaining conducive office atmosphere to carry on activities of the trade association of which my supervisor was administrator
Pros
Getting to communicate with the membership from all over the world
great place
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 8, 2015
very fun place to work meet new people as well and the hardest part of the day is leaving i love my managers and co workers. I Learned how to welcome people and show them that they matter to us and encourage them to do their best.
Pros
short lunches
Cons
short breaks
Good experience
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJMay 20, 2015
Working at DSM was a good experience. I learned a lot and was given opportunities to increase my skills. I worked with some excellent co-workers. We were able to have a good work / home life balance.
Over the last two years, certain tasks were moved to India. It is anticipated that more tasks will be going. I do not want to wait until the last minute
Pros
Good home / work balance
Cons
possible moving of tasks overseas
Unorganized management, doesn't fix equipment, no maintenance, no materials to work on a daily basis.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 16, 2015
Get assigned a room and partner
Produce materials
Loading and unloading of blender
Use of Scales
Hard part of job is impact on your body
Stress level is high
I enjoy the bonus benefits
No no no!!!!!!!!
Operator (Former Employee) –  Augusta,GaFebruary 6, 2015
Plain and simple if you are not part of Management you will have no voice with this company. If you are not a butt kisser you are a bad person. if you get a job with this company they want you to keep your mouth close work work and work. Do what you are told and don't question anything that management do or say and you will fit right in. There is a lot of hidden Racism,and to much nepotism at this plant seriously if at all cost avoid this place if you can.
Pros
great pay, great benefits, enjoyed my shift.
Cons
poor poor management on the plant and corporate level.
Fun place to work with a Wii, basketball goal and a gym.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stanley, NCFebruary 6, 2015
Very Productive and fun place to work. Management is very open minded and supportive. Safety is the most important focus and we have been three years without a recordable injury. A very supportive company of the community that is always giving back. Very active in 5's/Lean manufacturing. The work environment is the best, everyone looks out for one another and is willing to go over and beyond thier job requirments to give a helping hand where needed.
Pros
management really care for associates and shows it daily. safety comes first. free lunches, community outings to help the local schoos.
production
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 21, 2015
the employee performs the job task in a timely manner and the task gets done with out excuesses
wage and benefit manipulation depleted job
petty worker (Current Employee) –  freeport, txJanuary 15, 2015
Job is a decent job, constant adding of duties with less pay. Company adjusts schedules to create work coverages for no overtime. Have to work 16 overtime at straight pay before you are eligible actually paid overtime. On call is not beneficial or lucretive benefit.
Pros
nice people
Cons
constant squeezing of wages and benefits
Avoid
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Exton, PaJanuary 6, 2015
Company suffers from a lack of innovation and leadership. Advancement within the company is nonexistent. Management insists on pushing forth an endless stream of time wasting "culture" activities that interfere with actual work. Many of these "morale boosting" activities are mandatory, which kind of defeats the purpose. Absolutely no value is placed on any employee outside of the "old boys club"
Pros
marginally better than not having a job
Cons
corporate culture is choking the life out of everyone
good work place with many job oppurtunitys
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 22, 2014
enjoyed my time there. My job title was an inspector. There we inspected meds for defects. Making sure customers only gets the best products.
n/a
Senior Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXOctober 22, 2014
No advancement opportunities and time off was not valued by employer.
Good people, BAD management
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 3, 2014
Awful management with NO room to grow. I have been working there for four years, and have not seen ANYONE in my group get promoted regardless of effort, publication, etc. There are false promises to keep people going and keep their hopes up, however, these promises are never fulfilled. Management is POOR to say the least. They micromanage every irrelevant idea, but are nowhere to be found when a real problem arises.
Cons
micromanagement, lack of respect, false hope
Great expercience in a great industry
Group leader (Current Employee) –  ParisppanyMay 19, 2014
Its never a dull day at DSM. The work is constant and is engaging, and due to global economic and societal changes, our work is constantly having to change and be adapted to meet new demands. My biggest gains in experciance have been at DSM, as I have learned many high level procesess, like Six Sigma, and root cause analysis and project management. Being as we are always in flux, management is naturally a busy place, with new hirings and Re-orgs, and for the most part DSM has been able to bring in competent engaging managers.My co-workers are a varied group, with different skill sets and experience, but all have developed into an effective co-hesive unit. The hardest part of my job involves balancing the relationships between the busineses and the external suppliers, and also prioritizing through all of the changes. The most enjoyable part is to see projects and developmental units become effective due to my input and effort.
Cons
pay is not comparable to workload or work importance. very little growth available in most areas
Good pay/ Terrible culture and management
fermentation opperator (Current Employee) –  Germantown, WIMarch 27, 2014
DSM bought this plant in Germantown and didn't even have a plant manager for the first 8 months or so. They just let the management that Cargill left behind run the show. When they finally did get a plant mgr. he just supported and protected the regime already in place.

The culture on the floor has really gone downhill. It's really a shame. They have some great workers and really treat them terrible.

Pay is good with a great 401k match. About the only good thing there besides for co-workers.

The actual work is rather enjoyable. Not too hard, just a pain putting up with all the extra sideshow they put on you .

Under Cargill you felt like a part of the team under DSM you feel like they are trying to find a reason to fire you.

Many of their good workers have already left or got fired. Management just has an "I don't care" attitude towards all this.

Again its really a shame.
Pros
good pay / benefits
Cons
management/very unhappy place to work

2.9