DSM Employee Reviews

Stay away from i-Health in Cromwell
Supply Chain Specialist (Current Employee) –  CromwellAugust 23, 2016
I-Health has become a revolving door. So much turnover and it is directly related to the poor leadership of the so called Management Team.

If you need proof look how many openings they have.

All management team members are timid, weak and lack leadership skills. No one respects them either.

Go ahead and accept an offer if you are prepared to be treated well in the beginning then poorly and eventually fired.
Pros
NONE
Cons
The worst place we have ever worked
Worked for company for six years
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXSeptember 16, 2016
Great opportunity to learn. And one of the safest places I have worked at. Great people that will help you with the shirt off their own back. And will change the way you think and act. They will consciously have you thinking about safety in everything that you do. Has opened my eyes to a new world. To me the hardest part about the job is the Texas weather. Its very hot. But they take care of you with goodies and cold treats. The most enjoyable part of my job is the pay my co-workers, the incentives, the NBA and NFL tickets. Christmas party's and picnics. They are all about family, but there is work to be done in order to make money and keep the business and are family life going. So sometimes your job may need you as this is a 24/7 facility. The training is excellent. You can learn a lot about the industry from this place.
Pros
Houston Rockets tickects, Texans tickects, give aways, Bonuses.
Cons
The heat.
Was a great place to work, not so much anymore!
Fiber Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 10, 2016
Several years ago was a great place to work but not any more. No trust in management, no support, issues never resolved, constant issues with pay and not compensated accurately, and no accountability for performance. Very stressful company overall to work for.
Pros
Some coworkers great to work with.
Good company, reasonable workload
Fiber Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCApril 27, 2016
once this was a great place to work, it's still good but no longer great. Going from temp to perm can take up to 2 years and even after you receive your offer it may take months to actually "get hired".
Pros
bonus potential, very reasonable work load good insurance
Cons
can never reach HR, and they never return calls, Company really drags about the hiring process, with the goal of not hiring you in time for the bonus, causing you to wait as long as twenty months for a raise.
Making Production safe and reliable.
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAJuly 14, 2016
Typical day at work is routinely taking readings and performing task assigned for the day while plant is stable and under control.
I have learned that every day is a different day in the life of an operator and you have to adjust with the plant as your day progress.
Management in my area was great because they would listen to your comments and input of certain issues which we (operators) see everyday and understand certain root cause of some skirmish.
My coworkers are and where great. Everyone had each other back when issues required more than one hand.
The hardest part of the job when an upset after an upset can keep you running for 12hours straight.
The most enjoyable part of the job is realizing at the end of the day my family is reaping the benefits of my hard labor and well off.
Pros
Supplied materials for job tasks at hand without questions.
Cons
hustle and bustle when plant is limping along.
Good people around you, NOT management.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 19, 2016
Worked there (Fortitech) several years before it got acquired by DSM in 2014 and until that point it was running smooth. Once DSM steped in and gave the plant manager power, then all productivity levels came to a fall. Manager hand picked her best friend to be her right hand (assistant manager) in accordance with HR person. Bad decisions lead to good workers leaving and getting fired left and right and no longer looked forward going to work. Constantly firing and hiring new people all the time because that is how management the ONT facility make it work. If DSM were to appoint a new manager today, I will honestly go back because there is a lot of good people working there.
Pros
Full time job, good 401k and good people around you.
Cons
Management controls this facility their own way, not the DSM way.
Use of my skills was appreicated
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCDecember 29, 2015
Work with talented co-workers. A very people oriented environment.
A typical work day was never the same. Most enjoyable of the job was support of management and my team.
Pros
Training was stressed and managmented very well
Cons
Short of staff
An excellent office job
Admininstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VANovember 16, 2015
Daily activities included maintaining conducive office atmosphere to carry on activities of the trade association of which my supervisor was administrator
Pros
Getting to communicate with the membership from all over the world
Good experience
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJMay 20, 2015
Working at DSM was a good experience. I learned a lot and was given opportunities to increase my skills. I worked with some excellent co-workers. We were able to have a good work / home life balance.
Over the last two years, certain tasks were moved to India. It is anticipated that more tasks will be going. I do not want to wait until the last minute
Pros
Good home / work balance
Cons
possible moving of tasks overseas
great place
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 8, 2015
very fun place to work meet new people as well and the hardest part of the day is leaving i love my managers and co workers. I Learned how to welcome people and show them that they matter to us and encourage them to do their best.
Pros
short lunches
Cons
short breaks
No no no!!!!!!!!
Operator (Former Employee) –  Augusta,GaFebruary 6, 2015
Plain and simple if you are not part of Management you will have no voice with this company. If you are not a butt kisser you are a bad person. if you get a job with this company they want you to keep your mouth close work work and work. Do what you are told and don't question anything that management do or say and you will fit right in. There is a lot of hidden Racism,and to much nepotism at this plant seriously if at all cost avoid this place if you can.
Pros
great pay, great benefits, enjoyed my shift.
Cons
poor poor management on the plant and corporate level.
Fun place to work with a Wii, basketball goal and a gym.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stanley, NCFebruary 6, 2015
Very Productive and fun place to work. Management is very open minded and supportive. Safety is the most important focus and we have been three years without a recordable injury. A very supportive company of the community that is always giving back. Very active in 5's/Lean manufacturing. The work environment is the best, everyone looks out for one another and is willing to go over and beyond thier job requirments to give a helping hand where needed.
Pros
management really care for associates and shows it daily. safety comes first. free lunches, community outings to help the local schoos.
Avoid
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Exton, PaJanuary 6, 2015
Company suffers from a lack of innovation and leadership. Advancement within the company is nonexistent. Management insists on pushing forth an endless stream of time wasting "culture" activities that interfere with actual work. Many of these "morale boosting" activities are mandatory, which kind of defeats the purpose. Absolutely no value is placed on any employee outside of the "old boys club"
Pros
marginally better than not having a job
Cons
corporate culture is choking the life out of everyone
wage and benefit manipulation depleted job
petty worker (Current Employee) –  freeport, txJanuary 15, 2015
Job is a decent job, constant adding of duties with less pay. Company adjusts schedules to create work coverages for no overtime. Have to work 16 overtime at straight pay before you are eligible actually paid overtime. On call is not beneficial or lucretive benefit.
Pros
nice people
Cons
constant squeezing of wages and benefits
Good people, BAD management
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 3, 2014
Awful management with NO room to grow. I have been working there for four years, and have not seen ANYONE in my group get promoted regardless of effort, publication, etc. There are false promises to keep people going and keep their hopes up, however, these promises are never fulfilled. Management is POOR to say the least. They micromanage every irrelevant idea, but are nowhere to be found when a real problem arises.
Cons
micromanagement, lack of respect, false hope
Unorganized management, doesn't fix equipment, no maintenance, no materials to work on a daily basis.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 16, 2015
Get assigned a room and partner
Produce materials
Loading and unloading of blender
Use of Scales
Hard part of job is impact on your body
Stress level is high
I enjoy the bonus benefits
Don't get trapped!
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 25, 2013
Once you get in you can easily get in a rut. If you are in production, oftentimes management will not let you leave their areas because you are "too valuable" yet they don't want to pay you like you are valuable. There shouldn't be this much turnover in a department (O&T) that pays fairly well. Pettiness run rampant in management. Complain about anything and you have a bullseye on your back and you can forget about trying to move to another department...trapped.
Pros
you get a paycheck
Cons
dsm=don't spend money...need i say more?
Decent Place to work with good pay
Pilot plant operator (Current Employee) –  Belvidere NJApril 9, 2013
I learned a lot at DSM, great place to work in the nutritional field, I worked closely with people whom I liked very much, although ive had a bad experience with the management within the company, the hardest part of this job was to keep u[p with the ever changing schedule and still have family time. The most important part of the job is consistency, you have to take yourself out of the equation incase something went wrong with the fermentation, you had to know that it was not something that you had changed from the previous time.
Pros
pay, distance from hom
Cons
benefits, hours, schedule
Terrible company values and management
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  USAMarch 27, 2013
A company that has gotten too big to handle itself, and continues to gobble up more small companies to compensate for its lack of direction and good management. Terrible upper management guidance. A complete lack of support for ingenuity and R&D. Communication is sparse and often contradictory. Benefits are decent, although health has gotten progressively worse, with a recent "spousal insurance surcharge", pegging employees with an additional $1200 annual fee to include coverage for their spouse. A very Europe-centric company lacking a modern culture agenda that addresses the needs of USA employees.
Avoid DSM at all costs
worker (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCApril 17, 2013
I wish there were negative numbers available in the ratings for culture/vales and management. Senior management supports mid-level management in poor decision making and discriminatory behaviors. They do not know how to "do the right thing." It appears to be too much trouble. Many "managers" are not properly trained to direct people. Most of all, no teamwork concepts actually lived out in reality.
Pros
there are some committed and honest employees
Cons
dsm will use you and then throw you out like garbage when they're through with you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSM. Our community is ready to answer.