DSM Employee Reviews

Dsm constantly changing organization chart and staff
Operations (Current Employee) –  San Francisco CAFebruary 9, 2014
I have worked here for over 5 years and my job and department has changed many times with each re organization their is a lot of talk which becomes rumors and fear of who's job or department is at risk with no communication from management or corporate headquarters. Some people get a way with working about 5 hours a day and others work 10 plus hours a day on salary with such an overload of work that they are in fear to not work 60 hours a week!!! One person actually is doing the job of three people. Raises are basically less than 1.5 percent even for the hardest working people. We have managers who mange a staff of two and that manager sits on the phone all day on personal calls or is on the Internet and only comes out of their office to basically get coffee. Very political in terms of who gets promoted. The men in some departments get better treatment than senior staff women. One guy was a supervisor who barely ever came to work and his staff complained so bad they finally got rid of him only to create him a new job that did not exist and he actually comes in at 10 am and leaves around 4 pm and no one seems to even know what his job is now. Others work from 6 am to 5 or 6pm everyday!!!
Pros
very diverse, high up educated staff treat lower levels with respect
Cons
org changes every year..always feel job is going to be elimated
Great expercience in a great industry
Group leader (Current Employee) –  ParisppanyMay 19, 2014
Its never a dull day at DSM. The work is constant and is engaging, and due to global economic and societal changes, our work is constantly having to change and be adapted to meet new demands. My biggest gains in experciance have been at DSM, as I have learned many high level procesess, like Six Sigma, and root cause analysis and project management. Being as we are always in flux, management is naturally a busy place, with new hirings and Re-orgs, and for the most part DSM has been able to bring in competent engaging managers.My co-workers are a varied group, with different skill sets and experience, but all have developed into an effective co-hesive unit. The hardest part of my job involves balancing the relationships between the busineses and the external suppliers, and also prioritizing through all of the changes. The most enjoyable part is to see projects and developmental units become effective due to my input and effort.
Cons
pay is not comparable to workload or work importance. very little growth available in most areas
Terrible company values and management
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  USAMarch 27, 2013
A company that has gotten too big to handle itself, and continues to gobble up more small companies to compensate for its lack of direction and good management. Terrible upper management guidance. A complete lack of support for ingenuity and R&D. Communication is sparse and often contradictory. Benefits are decent, although health has gotten progressively worse, with a recent "spousal insurance surcharge", pegging employees with an additional $1200 annual fee to include coverage for their spouse. A very Europe-centric company lacking a modern culture agenda that addresses the needs of USA employees.
Fun place to work with a Wii, basketball goal and a gym.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stanley, NCFebruary 6, 2015
Very Productive and fun place to work. Management is very open minded and supportive. Safety is the most important focus and we have been three years without a recordable injury. A very supportive company of the community that is always giving back. Very active in 5's/Lean manufacturing. The work environment is the best, everyone looks out for one another and is willing to go over and beyond thier job requirments to give a helping hand where needed.
Pros
management really care for associates and shows it daily. safety comes first. free lunches, community outings to help the local schoos.
Decent Place to work with good pay
Pilot plant operator (Current Employee) –  Belvidere NJApril 9, 2013
I learned a lot at DSM, great place to work in the nutritional field, I worked closely with people whom I liked very much, although ive had a bad experience with the management within the company, the hardest part of this job was to keep u[p with the ever changing schedule and still have family time. The most important part of the job is consistency, you have to take yourself out of the equation incase something went wrong with the fermentation, you had to know that it was not something that you had changed from the previous time.
Pros
pay, distance from hom
Cons
benefits, hours, schedule
No no no!!!!!!!!
Operator (Former Employee) –  Augusta,GaFebruary 6, 2015
Plain and simple if you are not part of Management you will have no voice with this company. If you are not a butt kisser you are a bad person. if you get a job with this company they want you to keep your mouth close work work and work. Do what you are told and don't question anything that management do or say and you will fit right in. There is a lot of hidden Racism,and to much nepotism at this plant seriously if at all cost avoid this place if you can.
Pros
great pay, great benefits, enjoyed my shift.
Cons
poor poor management on the plant and corporate level.
Avoid DSM at all costs
worker (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCApril 17, 2013
I wish there were negative numbers available in the ratings for culture/vales and management. Senior management supports mid-level management in poor decision making and discriminatory behaviors. They do not know how to "do the right thing." It appears to be too much trouble. Many "managers" are not properly trained to direct people. Most of all, no teamwork concepts actually lived out in reality.
Pros
there are some committed and honest employees
Cons
dsm will use you and then throw you out like garbage when they're through with you.
Don't get trapped!
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 25, 2013
Once you get in you can easily get in a rut. If you are in production, oftentimes management will not let you leave their areas because you are "too valuable" yet they don't want to pay you like you are valuable. There shouldn't be this much turnover in a department (O&T) that pays fairly well. Pettiness run rampant in management. Complain about anything and you have a bullseye on your back and you can forget about trying to move to another department...trapped.
Pros
you get a paycheck
Cons
dsm=don't spend money...need i say more?
Avoid
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Exton, PaJanuary 6, 2015
Company suffers from a lack of innovation and leadership. Advancement within the company is nonexistent. Management insists on pushing forth an endless stream of time wasting "culture" activities that interfere with actual work. Many of these "morale boosting" activities are mandatory, which kind of defeats the purpose. Absolutely no value is placed on any employee outside of the "old boys club"
Pros
marginally better than not having a job
Cons
corporate culture is choking the life out of everyone
Good people, BAD management
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 3, 2014
Awful management with NO room to grow. I have been working there for four years, and have not seen ANYONE in my group get promoted regardless of effort, publication, etc. There are false promises to keep people going and keep their hopes up, however, these promises are never fulfilled. Management is POOR to say the least. They micromanage every irrelevant idea, but are nowhere to be found when a real problem arises.
Cons
micromanagement, lack of respect, false hope
Awesome People with Great Potential
Managed Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLAugust 8, 2012
Going to work was a joy because of the people I got to work with. On the other hand, some leadership positions made things difficult by not having a clear vision and poor management skills. The potential of DSM with it's business connections and Data Center facilities has set itself up for possible continued growth and exciting professional environment.
Pros
culture, technology
Cons
benefits, leadership
Good experience
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJMay 20, 2015
Working at DSM was a good experience. I learned a lot and was given opportunities to increase my skills. I worked with some excellent co-workers. We were able to have a good work / home life balance.
Over the last two years, certain tasks were moved to India. It is anticipated that more tasks will be going. I do not want to wait until the last minute
Pros
Good home / work balance
Cons
possible moving of tasks overseas
A company with a team based evironment
DSM Biopharmaceutical Internship (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 17, 2013
My main task was reformatting manufacturing and filling work orders using Microsoft Word. I also attended several project meetings and helped the project management team with miscellanous tasks. The people I worked with were friendly and very helpful in teaching me about how things work in idustry.
wage and benefit manipulation depleted job
petty worker (Current Employee) –  freeport, txJanuary 15, 2015
Job is a decent job, constant adding of duties with less pay. Company adjusts schedules to create work coverages for no overtime. Have to work 16 overtime at straight pay before you are eligible actually paid overtime. On call is not beneficial or lucretive benefit.
Pros
nice people
Cons
constant squeezing of wages and benefits
Great environment
PRODUCTION ASSOCIATE III DSM FUNCTIONAL MATERIAL (Former Employee) –  NCDecember 4, 2013
The job was very safety thinking in all you do. My experience as chemical operator started here. As long as ask questions everyone is willing to find the answer. Enjoy the individuals I worked with, they made it more enjoyable.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
main office overseas
Unorganized management, doesn't fix equipment, no maintenance, no materials to work on a daily basis.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 16, 2015
Get assigned a room and partner
Produce materials
Loading and unloading of blender
Use of Scales
Hard part of job is impact on your body
Stress level is high
I enjoy the bonus benefits
unfortunately very problematic environment!
science (Former Employee) –  Delft, ZHDecember 12, 2013
The company has a good mission BUT:
Unfortunately descriminative comments, jokes....!!
if you are not dutch you are not much.
Pros
flexible working times
Cons
problematic cultural environment! comments against ethnicity happen quite frequently!
An excellent office job
Admininstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VANovember 16, 2015
Daily activities included maintaining conducive office atmosphere to carry on activities of the trade association of which my supervisor was administrator
Pros
Getting to communicate with the membership from all over the world
Productive and Fun
Accounts Receivable Collection Accountant (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJMarch 26, 2014
It would be a great pledger to continue working with DSM Inc. It has been an exciting experience as I would be able to use my professional expertise to help the company gain profit.
Pros
equal opportunity employment
great place
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 8, 2015
very fun place to work meet new people as well and the hardest part of the day is leaving i love my managers and co workers. I Learned how to welcome people and show them that they matter to us and encourage them to do their best.
Pros
short lunches
Cons
short breaks