DSM Employee Reviews

Good company
Operations Controller (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJMay 23, 2017
Company makes good products but job opportunities are hard to come by especially for internal candidates.
Harmonization of processes takes a very long time.
Mixed Review
Laboratory (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 10, 2017
The people at DSM/Ontario, are all very friendly and generally happy. The biggest sticking-point for me is the unfriendly, out-of-date software used and the network too. The network (PC) has it's home in New York, which makes things really slow in California. Also, the LIMS system used in the lab is severely antiquated. It was designed for Win95. It is terribly slow, and it is not user-friendly. One would think a large multi-national corporation wouldn't be using primitive software... so easy to make mistakes due to it's poor interface:-(
Pros
Good People
Cons
Terrible computer network and software
cool people ok management
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 15, 2017
the people there good for the most part management need a lot of work their is some good this like company party's. but there is no job security if i can give -stars i will, management talks down to employees and only promont people who kiss up to them. as we became more part of dsm management has no idea how to handle things, and if you want to talk to a hr person you have to call a 1800 number but the 1800 number only handles payroll the 1800 number gives you a email adders to contact.they was always on you to produce even if there was little to no jobs to do.
Pros
good 401k ok Benefits
Cons
no Job Security/Advancement
Productive, a place that has a lot to work for and very rewarding
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, MADecember 28, 2016
This company is managed by a strong group of intelligent managers
and supervisors. The coworkers are easy to get along with and communicate pretty well with one another. Every day is a difference challenge we face as a team and time and time again we overcome these obstacles. This company is a very fair company that rewards those who seek growth in the business. In my short time here, I have learned many things. On of the most important things I learned was how to comply with safety regulations. I practice safety procedures so much now that it has now become second nature me even outside of work. I have also received better understanding of the materials we use and why we use them. Nothing has been hard so far for me with this company from a learning standpoint. I have enjoyed my time here with this company and will continue to.
Pros
Great insurance plan, very well starting salaries, great people to work with.
Cons
Some work days can be longer if production output is needed heavily.
Technical Writer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kingstree, SCDecember 20, 2016
Good company to work for. Excellent atmosphere. Would recommend this company to anyone looking for a family oriented job.
productive as always
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 23, 2016
i have learned that even a typical; day at work can lead to self improving because everyday something new is learned. managing my own room made me have control of every situation that can occur. no matter what you encounter the people around you as co-workers will have a word of advise and those workers helps make the day better.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
the equipment
Worked for company for six years
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXSeptember 16, 2016
Great opportunity to learn. And one of the safest places I have worked at. Great people that will help you with the shirt off their own back. And will change the way you think and act. They will consciously have you thinking about safety in everything that you do. Has opened my eyes to a new world. To me the hardest part about the job is the Texas weather. Its very hot. But they take care of you with goodies and cold treats. The most enjoyable part of my job is the pay my co-workers, the incentives, the NBA and NFL tickets. Christmas party's and picnics. They are all about family, but there is work to be done in order to make money and keep the business and are family life going. So sometimes your job may need you as this is a 24/7 facility. The training is excellent. You can learn a lot about the industry from this place.
Pros
Houston Rockets tickects, Texans tickects, give aways, Bonuses.
Cons
The heat.
Stay away from i-Health in Cromwell
Supply Chain Specialist (Current Employee) –  CromwellAugust 23, 2016
I-Health has become a revolving door. So much turnover and it is directly related to the poor leadership of the so called Management Team.

If you need proof look how many openings they have.

All management team members are timid, weak and lack leadership skills. No one respects them either.

Go ahead and accept an offer if you are prepared to be treated well in the beginning then poorly and eventually fired.
Pros
Cons
The worst place we have ever worked
Making Production safe and reliable.
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAJuly 14, 2016
Typical day at work is routinely taking readings and performing task assigned for the day while plant is stable and under control.
I have learned that every day is a different day in the life of an operator and you have to adjust with the plant as your day progress.
Management in my area was great because they would listen to your comments and input of certain issues which we (operators) see everyday and understand certain root cause of some skirmish.
My coworkers are and where great. Everyone had each other back when issues required more than one hand.
The hardest part of the job when an upset after an upset can keep you running for 12hours straight.
The most enjoyable part of the job is realizing at the end of the day my family is reaping the benefits of my hard labor and well off.
Pros
Supplied materials for job tasks at hand without questions.
Cons
hustle and bustle when plant is limping along.
Was a great place to work, not so much anymore!
Fiber Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 10, 2016
Several years ago was a great place to work but not any more. No trust in management, no support, issues never resolved, constant issues with pay and not compensated accurately, and no accountability for performance. Very stressful company overall to work for.
Pros
Some coworkers great to work with.
Good company, reasonable workload
Fiber Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCApril 27, 2016
once this was a great place to work, it's still good but no longer great. Going from temp to perm can take up to 2 years and even after you receive your offer it may take months to actually "get hired".
Pros
bonus potential, very reasonable work load good insurance
Cons
can never reach HR, and they never return calls, Company really drags about the hiring process, with the goal of not hiring you in time for the bonus, causing you to wait as long as twenty months for a raise.
Good people around you, NOT management.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 19, 2016
Worked there (Fortitech) several years before it got acquired by DSM in 2014 and until that point it was running smooth. Once DSM steped in and gave the plant manager power, then all productivity levels came to a fall. Manager hand picked her best friend to be her right hand (assistant manager) in accordance with HR person. Bad decisions lead to good workers leaving and getting fired left and right and no longer looked forward going to work. Constantly firing and hiring new people all the time because that is how management the ONT facility make it work. If DSM were to appoint a new manager today, I will honestly go back because there is a lot of good people working there.
Pros
Full time job, good 401k and good people around you.
Cons
Management controls this facility their own way, not the DSM way.
Use of my skills was appreicated
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCDecember 29, 2015
Work with talented co-workers. A very people oriented environment.
A typical work day was never the same. Most enjoyable of the job was support of management and my team.
Pros
Training was stressed and managmented very well
Cons
Short of staff
An excellent office job
Admininstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VANovember 16, 2015
Daily activities included maintaining conducive office atmosphere to carry on activities of the trade association of which my supervisor was administrator
Pros
Getting to communicate with the membership from all over the world
great place
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 8, 2015
very fun place to work meet new people as well and the hardest part of the day is leaving i love my managers and co workers. I Learned how to welcome people and show them that they matter to us and encourage them to do their best.
Pros
short lunches
Cons
short breaks
Good experience
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJMay 20, 2015
Working at DSM was a good experience. I learned a lot and was given opportunities to increase my skills. I worked with some excellent co-workers. We were able to have a good work / home life balance.
Over the last two years, certain tasks were moved to India. It is anticipated that more tasks will be going. I do not want to wait until the last minute
Pros
Good home / work balance
Cons
possible moving of tasks overseas
Unorganized management, doesn't fix equipment, no maintenance, no materials to work on a daily basis.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 16, 2015
Get assigned a room and partner
Produce materials
Loading and unloading of blender
Use of Scales
Hard part of job is impact on your body
Stress level is high
I enjoy the bonus benefits
No no no!!!!!!!!
Operator (Former Employee) –  Augusta,GaFebruary 6, 2015
Plain and simple if you are not part of Management you will have no voice with this company. If you are not a butt kisser you are a bad person. if you get a job with this company they want you to keep your mouth close work work and work. Do what you are told and don't question anything that management do or say and you will fit right in. There is a lot of hidden Racism,and to much nepotism at this plant seriously if at all cost avoid this place if you can.
Pros
Great pay, Great benefits, Enjoyed my shift.
Cons
Poor poor management on the plant and corporate level.
Fun place to work with a Wii, basketball goal and a gym.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stanley, NCFebruary 6, 2015
Very Productive and fun place to work. Management is very open minded and supportive. Safety is the most important focus and we have been three years without a recordable injury. A very supportive company of the community that is always giving back. Very active in 5's/Lean manufacturing. The work environment is the best, everyone looks out for one another and is willing to go over and beyond thier job requirments to give a helping hand where needed.
Pros
Management really care for associates and shows it daily. Safety comes first. Free lunches, community outings to help the local schoos.
production
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 21, 2015
the employee performs the job task in a timely manner and the task gets done with out excuesses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSM. Our community is ready to answer.