DSS Research Employee Reviews in United States

Hated it
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  White Settlement, TXApril 6, 2016
They do not have long lunch breaks only 30 mins. Work hours are not 40 hours, and they sometimes allow overtime and sometimes don't. They expect you to work saturdays, but don't give you a 40 hour work week, and you never know when you may get laid off.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
short break, not enough hours
loved the job, until the end
TEAM LEAD SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  White Settlement, TxMay 27, 2015
I loved the job, fun people, good hours, sometimes good overtime. I was in management and thought I was safe until out of blue I was laid off after 8 1/2 years for "Low Work Volume", which made no since due to having over loads of work coming out of my ears. I did try to go back a few months later and was told "Oh yes we need people", then none of my calls were returned.
Pros
Easy work loads.
Cons
No Benefits
Outbound call center doing health care surveys.
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  White Settlement, TXMay 23, 2016
I overall did not mind the job position its self, it wasn't the most enjoyable since I had to call and bug people at all hours of the day. But I enjoy being on the phone, the call center settings, and the healthcare environment. The thing that made me want to leave was the complete lack of professionalism and respect to the employees from management.
worse place
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 17, 2015
If you enjoy being harassed and having an unstable job then go right ahead! They tell you that its a full time position, but you will only work 27 hours a week. If you go over those hours you will be written up! You can not talk on the call center floor, chew gum, drink water(although you're talking all day). If youre one minute late from break you will be written up. Management only care about themselves. So do no expect a raise! People has been with the company for 5+ years and still making $10.50. Even the corporate office is a fluke! Do not waste your time.
Pros
sitting down all day
Cons
low pay, unsecured job, management
Worst place ever!
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 23, 2014
By far the worse place I ever worked! No advancement no pay raises, people have been there for years an they still make 10.50. Management is very secretive. They seem to worry about attendance and dress code more than QA. One month they force you to work overtime then the next we don't even have work an they will be calling you to not even come in WITHOUT paying you for the missed hours. very strict rules NO TALKING to anybody even though we barely talk on the phone, no reading no homework no anything but clicking the mouse an staring into space. If your bored easily this is not the place for you. Got rid of full time because of Obama care or something like that so there's only part time hours.
Pros
breaks, works with school schedule perfect for students
Cons
getting wrote up for everything, no talking, no pay raises
fun workplace
Customer Service Representitive (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 8, 2016
Fun place to work, you get to talk to interesting people. Management needs work, no benefits and pay could be better. Slow workplace
Pros
fun working environment
Cons
Pay and Benefits
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 12, 2016
Working at Dss either took my whole day of working or not enough hours. Being that I have kids I just didn't like the hours and the management.
Not a good place to work at!
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 29, 2014
DSS WAS a great place to work at but after new management came in the picture, it was a totally different story. I was promoted as a more than just an outbound call center employee where I was able to get some feedback on how things were ran. A new manager came in and changed everything, I understand we needed some rules, and guides but not to where you want things to be a complete dictatorship. The new manager was rude and would constantly talk bad about his employees to other upper level management. I remember him saying how he did not care about the people there. he would keep a constant eye on those he didn't like and found any little thing to get them fired. He is a disaster and the worst "manager" anyone could have. No professionalism by employees, dress code is a mess, strict rules, lunch breaks and breaks, no raise even if your the best caller there. I hated it!!! The girls restroom always stunk, and the break room is small for 200+ ppl.
Pros
part time for students, 10.50-11.50\hour
Cons
far, horrible management
Fast paced and busy company
DATA ENTRY (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 21, 2016
It was a very busy and fast paced warehouse
But it was nice and the work was easy. The managers and co workers where great. I enjoyed everything about the company.
Good work for anyone with disabilities
Interviewer II (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 2, 2015
I only worked there part time, but there are some full time positions. Part time positions offer good pay for a second job or someone who needs to supplement other income. Good job for someone who faces mobility issues as I do. Regular weekday shifts. Interviewer job consists of conducting healthcare related surveys over the phone. Familiarity with some medical terms helps but is not required. Must type at least 30 wpm and pass tests in reading comprehension, spelling, and grammar. Bilingual employees are paid a slightly higher wage. Training is provided, as is ongoing coaching and review. Pay raises are merit based.

The best part of the job is feeling that you are helping healthcare providers improve the care they provide, which helps patients get better care. The worst part of the job is dealing with people who are annoyed that you are calling them to do a survey. You also occasionally encounter someone who is dealing with very serious health issues. You have to be able to remain neutral and professional at all times when talking to respondents.

The call center manager is strict, but upfront about his expectations and policies. The other management staff and coaches are very approachable and helpful. Coworkers are of diverse ages and backgrounds. There are opportunities to advance within the company if you desire to.
Pros
Regular shifts, good environment, offers some benefits such as 401k.
Cons
No health insurance. Must meet minimum quotas, but that is not difficult if you are consistantly making calls.
Different management and set-rules for different shifts
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 3, 2015
Depending on who you talked to you could get away with certain things. If you worked the morning shift there were a lot more rules in comparison to the night shift which was a lot more relaxed.
Pros
over-time was available
Cons
short breaks
Easy going environment.
PHONE INTERVIEWER (Current Employee) –  White Settlement, TXOctober 7, 2013
A typical day, I log into my computer and start making calls. I've learned that I have more patience than I thought.
Team coaches, supervisors and managers are all available if you have any problems with a call or the computer. My co-workers are friendly and easy to work with.
The hardest part of this job is speaking to respondents who have difficulties with their health, it can get to you sometimes. The most enjoyable part of this job is speaking to respondents that enjoy answering the survey questions. I enjoy those calls because I can share a laugh with the respondent.
Pros
free parking and not a stressful atmosphere.
Cons
not many benefits.
Productinve Place To Work
Call Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TxJuly 22, 2014
Typical day at work involves making several outbound calls to respondents concerning their satisfaction with their current insurance plan.

The hardest part of the job is having to deal with respondents that are disrespectful and having to keep composure and stay professional.
Pros
extra hours are offered at times, and if you are in school they work with you when it comes to your schedule
Cons
short breaks, no benefits, no pay raises.
Ok job...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 27, 2015
This job is the most easiest job that you can ever have for 10.50 an hour. The bad thing about it is that there was not an opportunity of advancement in this company, The hardest part of the job was meeting the CPH which was the "quota" that you would have to meet every week, because most people did not want what we had to offer. The most enjoyable part of the job were the coworkers, I could not have found a better set of coworkers.
Pros
Restroom Breaks without using 15min break.
Cons
Treated like students rather than adults in the workplace.
Not a career for everyone, but a good stepping stone or first office job
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  White Settlement, TXMay 7, 2016
I have been working at DSS Research for over two years and am currently employed there. I can honestly state that in this time frame, things have been steadily improving to the point where the job is leaps and bounds better than when I had first started. In 2014, work standards were low and management was lax, resulting in a severe lack of work by August and we had hours cut repeatedly to the point where some of us feared not having a job at all. When a new center manager was brought in at the tail end of 2014, it was the start of a drastic turn around. Things are still slow in the winter months, but not so bad as it was that first year. Now, onto more specific pros and cons.

Training is rather fast and not as involved as it should be. Due to the high turnover rate associated with call centers in general, there's a bit of a sink or swim attitude here. I feel that the new interviewers are not fully prepared when they first get put at a work station and it can be very overwhelming for someone who has not done this sort of work before. The key to this job is to simply read the script, pay attention to the notes in orange, refer to your work packet as needed, and don't be afraid to ask a team leader, supervisor, or even the more experienced interviewers around you questions. Work is as simple as reading the script verbatim, recording responses correctly, clarifying vague responses, and remaining professional on the phone with individuals who can vary between rude and outright bizarre at times.

Management is pretty great. I see a lot of reviews complaining about the manager's
  more... attitude, and while he does not gild the lily, he's also fair and has worked hard to keep us in work. Does he yell? Yes, but that seems to be the only way to get attention when you're addressing several hundred people at once. The only times I've seen him yell at someone one on one is when a supervisor or team lead has made a pretty big mistake. He's even gotten us weekly and monthly bonuses for attendance and productivity, which has been very welcome since one of the biggest cons of the job is the only way to get a raise is to get promoted to a team lead/supervisor position or become fluent in Spanish. Supervisors are also fair and will identify any areas where you need improvement in a constructive manner.

Hours are steady most of the year. If you get hired for full time, it's 37.5 hours per week. Every 400 hours worked is 8 hours of paid time off. Unfortunately, you need to make a paid time off request two weeks in advance. In extenuating circumstances, management will usually work with you, though. Pay is 10.50 per hour or 11.50 if you can also speak Spanish. The rare project with options for Russian/Tagalog/Chinese/etc. are sourced out to other locations.

Rest times are two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break (the latter being off the clock). As other reviews have pointed out, we the break rooms are too small and seating is at a premium, but there's not much to be done about this as the company leases space in an office building.

All in all, I've worked at far worse places. The work can be stressful sometimes, but that's less due to the office environment and more to dealing with cranky people who would rather throw a tantrum than politely request we do not call back. Still beats the heck out of working a gas station gig where you have to deal with drunks or potentially be robbed, though. If you can read outloud, follow simple instructions, and learn from your mistakes, you will do well here.
Pros
Weekly bonuses, overtime in spring/fall, good management
Cons
limited advancement, no raises, break room is a clown car
Strict workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  White Settlement, TXDecember 26, 2013
Constantly dialing on the phone, talking people into taking medical surveys, dealing with multiple personalities and dispositions both on the phone and with co-workers. No ability to move up, no pay raises, going all part time, no benefits, no room for errors.
Pros
some paid holidays if you work your full shift the days before and after, earn pto.
Cons
back stabbing, no pay raises, no real benefits.
Very interesting job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 29, 2014
My responsibilities as an interviewer are to make outbound calls daily to residents who have health insurance. My job is to make sure that the members understand the type of health plan that they have or other plans that the insurance company may offer. I also perform satisfaction surveys to make sure that members are happy with the plans and benefits that they currently receive from their health insurance company.
Best Benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 22, 2015
This was a long-term job with the best benefits but without an higher education at the time the pay was not that great but I like working in my department.
Somewhat flexible with work hours and closed on holidays and Sundays.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 27, 2012
Was with this company for almost 5 years and in that time period I did not receive benefits. I was able to pull through due to me just being part time and only working 20 hours a day due to being a full time student. The environment was not stable at all, you were not able to be close with management.
Not a good company to work for no benefits and often no hours to work
Call Center interviewer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 6, 2013
They do not offer any benefits or advancements. Everyone is on the same level no matter how long you have worked for the company. They often do not have enough work for the amount of employees that have which often leads to everyone having to take a decrease in hours.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
no benefits or raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSS Research. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7