DST Systems Employee Reviews

Good employer with abundant opportunities for growth and good team culture.
SOFTWARE PROJECT LEADER (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 12, 2017
decent place to work. good people and culture. company policies somewhat outdated. older workforce, many are resistant to changes in policy and technology.easy to get 'blacklisted' if a person is not favored by certain members of management team.
Alright
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 6, 2017
Unprofesaional management will be the death of DST.
Little work life balance.
Saturday OT
Great downtown location
Great cafeteria
Diverse work environment
Pros
Pay & good benefits
Cons
Overtime and rude/ unprofessional management
nice laid back coworkers all are friendly and helpful
Distribution Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 23, 2017
i love this job. Just ask and you will be helped. nice work environment great bosses. can be fast paced are slow. but their is always something to do and learn.
Pros
can get what you want if asked
Cons
your mess up come out your 401k
Dst
Client Relations (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 19, 2017
DST is a great place to work and get experience, then take that experience somewhere else to make a lot more money. DST starts about $10k less than many other places in KC from what I've seen. The benefits are pretty good, though. The health insurance is some of the best I've seen outside of union laborers (though it is getting pricey for that coverage). They're also commonly flexible with schedules in most salaried areas as well.
Overall a Good Company
Mutual Fund Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 18, 2017
Overall DST is a great place to work. My issues were the pay didn't compare to similar jobs and the management within my department was not sufficient.
Pros
Health insurance, downtown location, volunteer opportunities
Cons
Pay for parking, mediocre pay, stressful pace
Senior Mutual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 5, 2017
I had only worked for DST for less that a year, however, It was a good company to work for. I enjoyed the short time that I was employed there. I would recommend this company.
Productive,and fast paced
Team Coordinator (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 2, 2017
DST was a great place to work. During the time I was there I met many great people and had several great experiences. I grew so much as a person. I learned what it ment to be a team player. I also grew so much perfessionally. I will say towards the end of my career there it because difficult to find work, life balance. The company had developed the philosophy, "Do more with less."
Software Engineer
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 18, 2017
At first I thought it was a good place to learn and advance but once you reach a certain level you have no where to go.

Over the years they kept "downsizing" which meant more work/less people. Their use of the "Agile methodology" is we give you the deadline and you figure out how you are going to make it. You only saw your immediate manager on a regular day-to-day basis for about 15 minutes. He/She may not know the technology you are using but that doesn't stop them from writing your performance review.

You never talked to any other managers and I think it's because they are trying to figure out what the last 3 new groups they just inherited are doing in addition to the 5 or 6 groups they already had.

Poor upper management communication, no opportunity for advancement, low morale because of layoffs and impossible deadlines.
Very kind and generous managers
Senior Mutual Fund Securities Rep (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 17, 2017
DST has been very good to me through the years and helped to gain valuable professional experience. The transition from part to full-time was swift and beneficial for me as an employee and the specific team I joined.
Pros
Paid leave, friendly environment, good 401k matching
Cons
Low base pay
Awful Workplace
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 5, 2017
Out of all my years of working in a call center, DST was the worst. Management is bad, they are unable or just do not like to communicate. The Management Team is never on the same page. The hours are ok and so is the pay if you are in dying need of a job. I would not make DST a career.
Client Relations Specialist.
Client Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 3, 2017
I learned so much the 11 years I worked for DST. I took phone calls with shareholders dealing with their mutual funds. I quality controlled other associates work. My last position with DST was a Client Relations Specialist. I worked mainly with certain clients. I had to make sure all monthly, quarterly and yearly statements for the shareholders were correct. I thought I would retire with this company but unfortunately they laid-off over 700 people several years ago and I was one of them. Very sad day.
Large company, poor management
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 3, 2017
long work days, management asks for more
very inconsistent management
review process is meaningless
poor raises
company tells public one thing and does another as far as layoffs
High pressured position to meet deadlines.
Application Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MissouriMarch 27, 2017
Meetings with core business groups to determine business requirements for new and existing applications.
Documenting those requirements to validate business requirements.
Work place culture is comfortable.
Management not very supportive.
Hardest part of the job was meeting impossible deadlines.
Most enjoyable part of the job was creating documentation of changes and supporting internal customers.
Pros
Documentation, break times when needed, peers supportive.
Cons
Management not supportive, deadlines would be moved up with little notice.
Great Place to Grow
Director of Account Management (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 21, 2017
I loved working at DST. I was a place that I should have continued to grow my career. Of course there were political issues, but all in all, the company was managed exceptionally well.
● Accurately evaluate, verify, and process responses from fund
Mutual Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 6, 2017
● Accurately evaluate, verify, and process responses from fund sponsors and administrators to update brokerage records for clients.
● Recommend and initiate corrective action for exceptions and out-of-balance positions or securities.
● Cross train in different areas to expand knowledge base and to advance skills and proactively offer assistance to other areas when needed.
● Handle outreach via email and phone to Alternative Investment fund sponsors and administrators to obtain updated position balances and security pricing information. This outreach would also include obtaining trade activity, corporate actions, transfers, dividend posting, and Fair Market Value information for each security.
it was a good company
Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 5, 2017
Good company to work for. I would still be trying to stay there if it wasnt for how I have been being made feel by my manager.

By everything happens for a reason.
GODS WILL !
Low Job Security
Lead Technical Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 3, 2017
Constantly changing and evolving company that offers little to know job security from what it was like 10 years ago. Constant Layoffs, Restructuring, and Reorganizing.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Little to no Job Security
Management doesn't care.
Former Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 20, 2017
There is no work life balance. Multiple layoffs a year for the last number of years. All under the radar. If you have been there a number of years you better be looking over your back. You are probably on the short list.
Cons
the recent reduction in paid time off shows the lack of work life balance
Excellent company
Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAFebruary 13, 2017
Fantastic staff. Excellent benefits. Secure and safe facility. Quality oriented. Fun. Nice cafeteria. Caring and engaged management team. Open and honest communications
Productive and fun environment
Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 5, 2017
My team takes over 200-250 calls on a daily basis. We work hard to make sure we are giving quality customer service to our clients investors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DST Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9