DST Systems Employee Reviews in United States

DST Rating
Staff Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 16, 2016
Like the people I worked with and my immediate supervisors. Got to do some Cobol, CICS programming and trained in latest versions of DB2 / SQL.
Pros
Good wok environment
Cons
not very Secure
excellent company when i was there until new ceo came in.
Sr Network Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 5, 2016
I loved the company and my job. Never any layoffs or talk of it and the knowledge gained from working with other departments was wonderful. There was room for advancement often and many fantastic leaders in the company..
Not a good place to work
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 23, 2016
Employee's where nice to work with. Because they choose an temp service, it makes it unbareable to work with the company. Training was not the best and they feel if you don't get the concept, then you are out the door. They don't care about people, they only care about the production only.
Pros
EMPLOYEES ARE GREAT TO WORK WITH
Cons
THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THERE EMPLOYEE'S. PAY SUCK
Best Part Time
Mutual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 21, 2016
This was my first real part time job and I LOVED it. I was able to go to school and earn some good money. My coworkers and management were the BEST.
Productive and focusing on new endeavors
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 29, 2016
Since the company was mainly focused on the Mutual Fund industry for so long and the Mutual Fund industry has changed a lot, the company is venturing into new businesses.
The company is also changing employee benefits that has caused a lot of controversy among the long tenured employees.
Fast pace workplace full of knowledgeable representatives
CORPORATE SECURITIES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 15, 2016
DST Systems is full of different departments and is made up of smaller organizations as well. There is a large variety of individuals and personalities at the organization, in any particular segment. There is a great deal of training involved in obtaining a position with the company. A typical day in my position, as a call center representative, was taking a wide variety of calls daily. No one call or caller was like the other. The days were a constant test on understanding and knowledge of products taught and discussed in the trainings. There is a possibility for growth as long as an individual wants to grow with the company and all the positions it has to offer.
sad place to work for
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 29, 2015
the managers do not train you. HR protects the wrong Associates. they throw you under the bus and don't want you to have your own mind.
Pros
jeans
Cons
management
Good company, well diversified with products
Senior Client Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 9, 2015
DST is a great company with great people and good place to learn a lot of good skills. Many different areas to work in with many different type of clients.
Cons
pay below par
very Productive in assisting customers with their increase or decrease their accounts.
SR. MUTUAL FUND REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 20, 2015
Loved going to work and doing my best in assisting customers in continuing to progress their accounts with the best customer service available in completing their requests.
Pros
I retired and needed the job to feel productive
Cons
Retirement.
Great company going through changes
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 19, 2015
Amazing people to work with and for. The company seems to have prioritized shareholders above all else. The entire company is undergoing reorganization.
Pros
People
GENERAL CLERK (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCSeptember 10, 2015
The best part of the job is helping the service members. It brings great joy to me to be able to assist members when it comes to moving which can be very stressful.
Pros
Employees are amazing
Cons
Managaement could be better
Worst place I have ever worked
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AlabamaAugust 25, 2015
A typical day at work here is horrible. If you have other options do not work here. There is no room for advancement. Management is terrible. Managers do not even have a degree and knows nothing about managing people. They talk to you like childen and think you are suppose to be scared of them. Could go on and on. just a warning if you want a piece of mind. STAY AWAY.
Pros
jeans
Cons
need better management that is not nosey mind their own business
Data capture (Current Employee) –  birminghamAugust 20, 2015
Mangers try to treat you like a child and walk around and watch you dont wont you to advance. managers use you co workers fine and cool, managers not trained so they do not know how to get the work out what associates have to do for real
Pros
flexible time to work and wear jeans
Cons
management sucks
not enough training in certain areas and more
Mutual Funds Securities Rep (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 20, 2015
The trainers did a great job in training......they were not the problem. One of many problems with DST was the management. The managers didn't communicate with the trainers in what the new employees needed to know. When a lot of the new people got to their assigned spot and were to do their assignments, they were clueless.
I pretty much had to beg for more training in certain areas. The managers/supervisors didn't care and would hardly listen to the people working under them. It was very difficult to trust your own supervisor/manager along with respecting them.
Pros
could work early if you wanted to
Cons
poor management, not enough training
Long time employee
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 8, 2015
DST has changed significantly in the last few years. Management has been driven by short term goals much more than long term success. There are constantly budget cuts and a lot of turnover. This is largely do to many work hours and poor work life balance. The many hours that are put in by employees are not appreciated and expected. Poor management direction leads to many wasted work hours, which leads to low employee engagement. there seems to be little direction and the organization frequently reorganizes as well as strategy changes. People who have been at DST for a long time are not appreciated as their knowledge is believe to be irrelevant to the modern work environment. Focus in recent years has been on getting more millenial's into the work environment, which is a good thing. However, there are many legacy processes that have to be supported to meet client requirements, and no one seems to believe this knowledge is needed. The company is significantly outsourcing work at this point and spending a lot of money to do so.

Management style is very old school, with nearly a bullying type mentality in many instances. Groups within DST are very silo'd and do not work as a cohesive organization. There is a lot of "throw it over the fence" mentality, and not deal with the problems.

It seems DST is on a very short term plan to boost stock prices with not a long range goal of how to maintain clients nor employees.
Pros
Large campus and many areas/bu in which to work
Cons
Does not focus on education and employee growth, Opportunities to travel were limited during my carear, Management does not listen to the employees.
Not the company it once was
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas cityJuly 6, 2015
New upper management that hasn't been successful in their careers and has hired non people friendly managers that are good old boys.
Pros
decent benefits
Wonderful Work Environment
Senior Operations Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas CityJune 12, 2015
Working at DST is an absolute pleasure. I have been provided with many opportunities to learn and grow within the company.
Low pay and long hours. Company doesnt care about its employees
BMC Software/Automation/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 1, 2015
After spending 12 years of my life at this company I came to the realization that I wasnt going anywhere. I was part of a 4 man team, being the last one left in my team and doing all the work. DST wanted to hire someone to fill the spot several levels higher then me and have me train them, instead of promoting me. I was already doing all the Sr level work.

A typical day at work would be anywhere from 9 - 11 hours a day at work then being oncall 24/7, 365 days a year. I would be called at anytime day or night. I would be required to work the issue and be back at work at 8am in the morning no matter how long the issue took to resolve.

I have learned that life is too short to be dedicated to a company that has no loyalty to its employees. If a company is all about profits and stockholders then its employees then its not a good gig. When they start taking away things such as coffee cups and require you to bring in your own cup and charging your own people parking fees that your company owns... Thats a hint that the company just cares about $$. Having your own employees paying for parking that your company owns is like taking a pay cut.

Management: I had a manager that micro managed us so much we made a game out of it. He sat down at the end of the cubes. He would walk by us 40 - 50 times a day looking at our screens making sure we were working. Each time he would walk by, we would put a mark on the board. We would take bets how many times he would walk by that day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was handing in my 2 weeks notice.

Giving this company an overall
  more... rating with 2 stars is me being generous. I would rate it as a 1 but i know there are worse companies out there.  less
Pros
Worked downtown so we always left for lunch, even if it was walking around downtown.
Cons
Low pay, Extreme amount of hours, Worker tend to back stab other people to get promoted faster.
Knowledge and Training
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 9, 2015
Excellent training available, good work hours and generally works on special hours and or days needed. Equipment up to date and software at the highest level. Excellent benefit for travel (bus) and school education.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
downsize to the lowest of employees
Horrible place to work for
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  El Dorado HillsMay 7, 2015
This has to be by far the worst job I have ever had. If the clients they had only knew how they treat there materials. Management sucks and everyday was a new vision that went nowhere. The leads never do anything and management is fine with that. I could go on and on with what wrong with this place. If you like to get mistreated then work here. But I recommend STAY AWAY.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DST Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8