DST Systems Employee Reviews

Nice career
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 16, 2017
Because of outsourcing to Bangkok and India, our associate base is dwindling and stateside associates are jumping ship. Mutual fund recordkeeping process was taken over by dealers. They collapsed accounts into large Omnibus accounts and caused account base to diminish. Hence outsourcing to diminish cost. At one time, DST was a great place to work. The layoffs have caused stress.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, good people
Cons
Outsourcing
Training Dept. allowed me to learn about DST
Senior Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 16, 2017
I worked in the training dept. The people that I worked with made going to work something I wanted to do.
I was able to use my skills to help those I served. My boss was friendly and easy to communicate with. I left because the company started laying off. My job was eliminated.
I used DST Systems as a Control Specialist at Boston Financial
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 9, 2017
I did not work at DST but used the system to reconcile mutual fund accounts while I worked as a Senior Specialist at Boston Financial. As I worked in the Control Department, more and more of the reconciliation was being done automatically through DST.
Great place to work!
Distribution Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MO 64105August 5, 2017
Its a great place to go and get advancement and the managers are great! Great benefits and you get PTO time right off the bat! I would recommend anyone to work there.
Nice place to work - l
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 4, 2017
Enjoyed working there and learn a lot. Liked their DB2 and other classes. Was a good fallback position for relocating to KC after Y2K work was complete at Dallas employer
Skeptical
Senior Client Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 1, 2017
Overall it is an okay company to work for and the company seems as though it is trying to change for the better, but I am not sure who the change is benefitting. I have noticed that over the last couple years it appears that the turnover rate has increased. Associates who have been with the company for 15+ years are venturing to different companies or waiting to be included in the rif. A lot of the technical roles within the company appear to be going offshore as well, leaving less room for domestic job opportunity, creating a disconnect between internal groups, and an increase in mistakes within programs/code. I hope to see future changes that benefit not only the company, but the employees as well.
Pros
Ability to work remotely.
Cons
Lack of training and turnover.
Excellent Company
Mutual Funds Securities Rep (Former Employee) –  KansasJuly 31, 2017
Thorough training and employee-involvement. Open door policy. Great management, opportunity for relocation and advancement. A company that cares about it's employees.
Trade Processor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 26, 2017
I enjoyed working there and I only left because I moved put of state. There were bonuses and incentives and good training and benefits and I made friends and built relationships,
No lunch break
Mutual Funds and Securities Representative (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 18, 2017
In order to keep up on service levels DST will suspend lunch breaks. They try to make up for it by buying the employees lunch. Unfortunately, there is no price to be put on time to clear your head and tackle the rest of the day the way you started out. It also interferes with making appointments and taking care of other business matters. DST is a great company I just wish there was a way to keep lunch breaks.
Pros
You have a say on what goes into your annual review.
Cons
Your lunch break can be suspended even with overtime.
not bad place
Mutual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 17, 2017
I enjoyed working with my first boss. The second boss was not fun at all. And they monitor every single minute on their system. I was overwhelmed. They did not train well.
Review
Senior Mutual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 17, 2017
Too Fast pasted
retirement information, investment information, transfers, investment posting, redemptions, account setup and management of accounts
Management could use some work
Too stressful
some of my co workers, learning pros and cons of investements
Loved working at DST in Training & Development
Corporate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 13, 2017
As a member of the T&D team, I truly enjoyed those I worked with and those we worked for..our internal clients. It is a very diverse environment; like many families living in the same neighborhood.
Fun workplace in the heart of downtown KC
Brokerage Associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 13, 2017
Management is very supportive.
Great location in the heart of downtown.
Terrific opportunities for both new graduates and individuals looking for the next step in their career, including management level options.
Business area that keeps you busy, with all the support needed to complete the issue at hand, if needed.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 11, 2017
Sr. Tech Support Specialist was a very rewarding position and most of all the people I worked with made it easy and enjoyable. In this position I was able to get to know Sr. Account Managers, System Managers and Executives.
Dont wish to speak of this
Team Manager/Systems Programmer/Incident Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 10, 2017
Use to be a great place to work, has went down hill in the past few years. They put to much on to little associates. Lower level associates are over worked.
Modern culture with excellent benefits
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 4, 2017
Lower level management can be resistant to change, while upper level is beginning to look forward and utilize newer technologies. Quality control area needs more expertise.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
downtown location
good place to learn career financial
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  MaineJune 27, 2017
The job has lots of training and easy to move up the latter. You are expected to know a lot about IRA and 401ks quickly, and become an expert so when the experts call, you can tell them what to do. It is an odd dynamic.
Pros
training, promotions
Cons
money is not very good, they move around to depressed areas, even India for cheap labor
Great
Lead Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 26, 2017
This place is great and very helpful for someone who wants to learn and try new things. It helped me easily because i was able to learn and catch on to things quickly which made everything easy.
Good Company
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 23, 2017
Good company. Good people. I have enjoyed working here, but the initial training is non-existent, which makes getting up to speed on products and the company difficult. If you can get past that, it is a good place to work.
Change in the guards
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJune 16, 2017
This is a good company, benefits are good, and people are good.
Management teams has very little turnover. If you are driven and are looking for a place you can grow as a professional, this is not the place for you.
Due to economics times, staffing on different teams is still very tight. A common question you hear management ask, "If staffing wasn't an issue, what would be the ideal state of the team, what task would you own?" After documenting the ideal state, that expectation is then placed on the existing short staffed team. This has impacted moral, and created avoidable risk. Working to thin.
Benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DST Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval