DSW Inc.

DSW Inc. Employer Reviews

Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 8, 2014
Pros: i get to work in an enviroment where everyone gets along!
Cons: none.
Assisted customers with product selection and queries

• Operated cash register as and when necessary
• Managed shelf stocking and pricing activities
• Handled inventory and stocks
• Reviewed merchandize movement
It feel like family
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brentwood, CAApril 3, 2014
I loved working for DSW, unfortunately I had to relocate. It felt like I could interact with my co-workers as if they were family, and that is important to me.
horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Marlton, NJMarch 26, 2014
Pros: 30% off discount.
Cons: unprofessional management, favoritism, racism
The only positive aspect of my particular DSW store was the discount. This review isn't for all the stores as I know for a fact other local stores were completely different.

Micromanagement is taken to an extreme at this location. We were yelled at on the headset constantly and our jobs were threatened for every little thing. A former manager actually – more... screamed at me in front of a customer I was helping. Many employees(including myself) have walked out crying because of the rude, vindictive managers.

We were not allowed to speak to each other AT ALL. Even if we were talking about work stuff or helping each other with a task, we would get yelled at.

Our store manager racially profiled our customers... if an african american walked into our store, we were forced to follow them around... the code over the headset was "clean up/trash in (whatever section)"

You never know what time you'll get off work. For example your shift will be 10am-2pm/6pm meaning you cant plan anything for that day and they can change their mind even after you clock out for the day. I've been flagged down in the parking lot and forced to clock back in because if i didn't, they'd literally give me 0 hours the following week.

Dress code only applies to certain employees. If I wore the exact same outfit as one of the managers favorites, only I would get in trouble.

Sometimes made us clean the public bathrooms WITHOUT GLOVES. This is absolutely unacceptable since we are cleaning human waste and using harsh chemicals.

Company attendance policies only applies to some employees. Consecutive call outs for an illness is supposed to count as ONE call out but not if they don't like you... – less
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Yonkers, NYMarch 26, 2014
Pros: working in a diverse workplace, employee discounts
Cons: no benefits for part-time workers, in store promotions
from working this job, I learned how to handle a high volume store and still be able to deliver great customer service. increased my ability to multitask, working with great associates as a team player.
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Holyoke, MAMarch 20, 2014
Cons: must work one day of the weekends
No complaints, just have to work a lot of hours to receive a positive check every 2 weeks. You HAVE to work a weekend day. Make plans in your life 1-2 weeks before hand before the schedule is set or just put in a request form a week before.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Merrillville, INMarch 17, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: communication with managemnt
Been working for DSW for close to a year. Working in Retail has been a learning experience. The culture and working with the public has been a life changing experience and has helped me grow better in my career and also learning strong key elements of sales.
Managment position that I enjoy but constant turnover and schdueling issues
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Fort Wayne, INMarch 8, 2014
Pros: professionalism, product, love the hr side of the job
Cons: store levelmanagement turnover, lack of communication by upper managment
A typical day at work is coaching, directing, payroll, tracking employee files,operational duties, customer service and reporting.

The management staff works together to run the store efficiently. I have a fantastic partnership with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is that there has been constant management turnover (Store and Assistant Manager – more... level) I have had to go months over the past year and a half with only myself and one other manager. Due to the management turnover I have had to take on extra hours and projects.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be the customer's, boss and team. – less
Productive and fun workplace - fantastic designer products at a fraction of the normal price
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 4, 2014
Pros: great discount on amazing shoes, jewelry, purses, hats, scarves; fun and passionate employees
Cons: short breaks and lunch, no benefits for part time, i.e. no healthcare or paid holidays
My co-workers and managers are positive and engaging people, passionate about our products. There is one main store manager and 4 other managers. Usually at least two are there at all times except when closing. One nice thing they implement is a group "huddle" at the beginning of each employees shift in which they review the previous day's sales and – more... rewards program enrollments among other things, such as new product we have received.

There are many different tasks which might be assigned to any employee. For example, I may start as the main cashier. There are six cash registers, and it can get very busy. So there is always at least one person covering the front to process returns, place online orders and check out customers. We have a 15 minute break every two hours and a half hour break every four hours. After a few hours as main cashier, I might be asked to walk the floor, which means ensuring the products are tidy on the sales floor while ensuring first and foremost that our customers receive excellent customer service.

One of our policies is that if we don't have the right shoe size, we will order it from our online inventory and ship it for free. – less
Fun, fast paced, consistently changing environment
Assistant Merchandising Manager (Former Employee), Torrance, CAMarch 3, 2014
Pros: discounts, fashion, customers, benefits, growth opportunities
Cons: non set schedule
A typical day at work consisted of making sure our guests had a great experience at our store and insuring they left with what they came for and more. I learned to be more patient and understanding when dealing with staff members and guests. I learned product knowledge and year around fashion focus. As part of the management team myself, we instilled – more... our team to be a well running machine. Team work, consistency, follow-ups and praises are always key. Creating the environment, not only for the guests, but also for the staff. Hardest part of the job was the scheduling, leaves you little room for balance and structure in your personal life. Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and establishing long lasting relationships. – less
Productive and Great Experience
Retail Associate (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: networking
Cons: sign ups and theft
A typical day at work requires one to be in a great mood. You learn how to deal with multiple customers. One must keep the floor neat and organized to the best of their ability. Co-workers are very helpful and teamwork is a key thing when working in a big shoe store. Whether you are on the floor or at the cash wrap, one must be able to get customers – more... to sign up for the rewards program. It tends to be the hardest part, as well as, trying to notice people who are stealing. The best part though is just meeting new people from all over the world. – less
Work Place at DSW
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2014
DSW in Washington, D.C., was an enjoyable experience. I learned in great detail about retail service, interactions with customers, and how to be a professional during a work setting.
Biased management with minimal communication and counter-productive management tactics
Store Manager - DSW 29484 Rochester (Current Employee), Rochester, MNFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: theme days, friendly competitions, bravo cards, customer service
Cons: work/life balance, lack of training, emphasis on personal relationships outside of work, management, lack of communication, unrealistic expectations
DSW boasts that they strive to create a culture centered around 4 core values: passion, accountability, collaboration and humility. While store associates are coached and motivated to uphold these values, higher level management consistently lacks all 4. Coaching and communication is very limited, which paired with unrealistic expectations makes DSW – more... a miserable place to work. Management tactics include minimal training and development, preferential treatment based on personal relationships outside of the work place, lack of confidentiality, and accusatory and demeaning coaching.

On a positive note, select individuals foster a fun environment amongst store associates. While this is rare occurrence, these individuals organize activities such as theme days, friendly competitions, and an opportunity to receive prizes from a recognition bin. While this can be a fun environment for store associates, moving in to management is especially rare. Once in a management position, the lack of support and demeaning development techniques greatly over weigh any benefits of some of the day-to-day activities. – less
Great Company to work for.
Regional Recruiter (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: excellent company to work for.
I was a Regional Recruiter for DSW. I left to move home to Oklahoma to help take care of my mother.
Productive learning place.
Stock Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 11, 2014
Great working place, great shows, great co workers great everything
America's Favorite Place to Work
Stock Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 8, 2014
The atmosphere is comfortable. Being able to provide customer service to consumers makes the job fun.
Productive and a great learning environment.
Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 26, 2014
I love the fact that this company knows many great thing's about team work. Humility being productive and the flexibility they give
Its a great job to come to after a break in employment but...
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), PennsylvaniaJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: great team players, they give back to the community, potlucks on special days
Cons: can't make enough when not reaching sales goals
This company is a great entryway to get back in the workforce after a long break, but not a great reliable source of income or support. I say this because when they have their bad months in sales, it reflects on your hours and income. You will most likely need a second job working for this company just to make ends meet.
workplace
Holiday Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYJanuary 24, 2014
challenging work day never easy I've learned patience goes along way learn to work in a group to question things your not aware of even if it may not be counted for the staff was respectable hardest part time management around closing time enjoyable meeting and greeting
Experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: short breaks, not getting break at an appropriate time, compensation, management, not having enough people to cover a shift
There is never really a typical work day, some days are busy other days are not. The amount of hours granted to the associates all depends on whether or not the store meets their daily goal. So if the store isn't making any money for the day they will cut peoples hours. One of the hardest things to deal with would be when we do not have enough people – more... to cover a shift. For example there will be three people for the closing shift when there really should be at least six. The pay isn't all that great and the yearly raises aren't more then a few cents. There isn't really much room to move up in the company. The way that management decides who gets a promotion is based on favoritism. If the store manager likes you and you suck up to them then you'll get promoted. They do not really go by who has the right skills just more so who they like. – less
fun workplace Managers are great
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 23, 2014
Not enough hours to go around. You are lucky if you work more than 8 hours a week.

1 2 3 4 5