DSW Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Wouldn't make my dog work there.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMarch 11, 2016
WORST PLACE TO WORK! I would rather work at a fast food place then here. They force you to try to force people to sign up for rewards. They literally make you hound the customers down. If you are looking around for to long they make you follow the customers because they think you are stealing.And they check all of your belongings to make sure you are not stealing. Management is horrible. You tell them your problems and they make it like it is all your fault. They are all backstabbers trying to work they way to the top. They give part timer almost 36 hours a week but no benefits!!! During my time working there I seen more people quit then I seen at any other job I was at. If you don't HAVE to work here DONT!!!!!!!!!
Pros
clocking out
Cons
working here
Managers Truly Make the Experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 29, 2016
I worked at DSW for 4 years and started as a part-times sales associate. I have had quite the assortment of managers and have worked in over 5 stores. You would think that all the stores would be streamlined with their expectations and the way in which things are done, after all, the company provides tools and has various policies and procedures in place to ensure just that--but it is not the case. Every singe store I worked in was different than the other and the determining factor was management, the store manager specifically. Because I have been in both roles, I understand the dynamic, but often times it seems like the Store Managers forget or they seem to remove themselves from certain aspects and let their own personal preferences dictate how they run things. Although I have worked in several retail environments, I stuck with DSW because all things considered it was the best. There's always room for improvement and the company is making strides to improve. It would just be nice to have more conversations with the assistants and associates as opposed to just the Store Manager.
Pros
Overall good company
Cons
Pay/compensation dependent on relationship with boss, communcation not passed down quickly enough
Good co-workers, pushy management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Snellville, GAFebruary 3, 2016
Typical retail company that does things a little weird and backwards, but you catch on. The categories make no sense and management gets frustrated when you've only been there a week and have trouble making their slightly ridiculous time requirements. Also if you acquire 7 points (due to coming in late, missing shifts, etc.) you're fired on the spot. Start pay is $9/hr though.
Pros
Decent pay for retail, 30% employee discount
Cons
Long shifts, management can be inconsiderate at times
Good Spring board
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2016
I initially really enjoyed the job. They really built themselves around being people centric internally and externally which really resonated with me personally. My biggest concern was the disconnect from corp partners to field with unrealistic or inconsistent expectations. I get that Corps role is to establish goals and the field to execute, however there needs to be proper planning and communication before execution.
The company does a great job of attracting new talent, but really trying to retain, train and develop existing talent is an opportunity. Many stores don't have adequate succession planning and bench. If people see your job and it doesn't look glorious they aren't going to want it. Additionally while there are protocols in place for announcing new positions it doesn't happen consistently or timely. I think its a good company to get your feet wet and grow into a role to platform somewhere else.
Diversity beyond store level is non existent and doesn't seem to be a concern since they have store managers on this coast who happen to be african american or female. The lack of diversity in upper ranks doesn't seem to concern anyone so when a leader talks to someone about cutting an afro you hired him/ her with 6 months after he's hired no one is really alarmed...
Pros
Initial Competitive Rate, Employee Discount, Work Life Balance, Benefits are getting Better
Cons
Transparency among leaders, Professionalism, Disconnect of Corp to field. Unrealistic Goals
Truley an Open door policy
Cashier/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 26, 2016
The management team really does listen to and take to heart the feedback of the staff. In that way the associates feel comfortable and confident in seeking guidance or support. Effective coaching is also given to help improve the performance of each associate and there thus the overall success of the store.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
benefits included for part time associats
What joke
call center (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 28, 2015
I was told they would keep you after the Holidays as long as your calls was 75% or higher mine was 100% and never missed a day my whole 90 days ..... they hired so many people they had to send people home to make room so the 2nd shift had a desk to sit at you only got one week of training then was put on phones and was told to put on hold and raise hand if you needed help! there systems were set up to make you fail or make the customers mad to where they was yelling and screaming and managers said to just give 10.00 off and that would calm them down !! also the managers would interrupt your calls if they walked by and over heard you and they thought you needed help! no other call center would interrupt your calls !!
HIGHLY Unprofessional!!! they did not even have the balls to let us come in and get our stuff or talk to us in person they call us seasonal workers to fire us
I was never told I was seasonal I was not even hired thru a temp service !! They would not even give the temp people the discount everyone else got like myself then they brag about how they did 2 million in sales but cant give there works a 30% discount
review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTNovember 13, 2015
Great job to learn about fashion and trends. Lack of diversity and immaturity from management. Lack of competitive pay wages and low pay raises. Great discount to employees. Lack of benefits and associates are limited to only part-time positions. Not a long-term job unless your a manager.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Lack of pay and lack of diversity in management
managers are awful and they do not care about personal issues
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Algonquin, ILMarch 13, 2016
A typical work day consists of walking up and down isles of shoes and turning shoes to be a 45 degree angle. it is extremely boring. The only thing that I can say I learned there was how to work a register. Managers are awful. They do not care about any personal issues you might have going on at home. And if you are deathly ill they do not accept doctor notes. Every time you can not come in you get "a point". When you get 7 points your terminated. Co- workers are treated extremely differently by managers. It is made very obvious who is favored. The managers have to be the worst part of the job. The Co-workers are extremely slow. It is like they were never trained. Who hires these people?! The only thing I can say I enjoy about the job is the pay. I started off with $9.75 with no previous work experience. But is being treated terribly worth it?
Pros
pay
Cons
management
Worst Job I've Ever Had
Sales and Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LADecember 28, 2015
Everyone is as friendly as can be when you first get hired but start to get mean and nasty when you get comfortable. There is no room for advancement here. I would only recommend this job for people who need extra income or typically, high school people. Management is horrible. They cut your hours while at the same time hiring more people. The job is pretty boring.
Pros
30% discount, free snacks
Cons
No hours, no advancement, stressful.
Does not value their employees
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 15, 2016
If you are looking for a low company to work for. DSW would be it ! I contributed ten years of hard work into this company, worked on their projects out of town and even out of state. Until recently new management came in, decided to pick out my flaws ( like is that even work related) also tried to tell me I wasn't doing my job right. So your telling me I was trained wrong ? Then basically its your own Companys fault. Lord knows if the Manager even knew what they were doing. They sit on their butts expecting you to get the job done. The district manager basically smooching up to the managers butt. Bet to trade places these "managers" I talk of wouldn't be able to do half of what I did for that place. I had quit my job with them. At the end, the hard work i put in was never taken in for consideration, instead they wanted to lower my pay. What a joke ! They don't care, these are people who sit on their butts and do nothing but tell you you're doing it wrong when you're the ONLY one doing all the work !
Cons
Poor management leadership skills
Shoelover Associates
Lead Cashier - Buckhead (Current Employee) –  Buckhead, GANovember 9, 2015
The benefits of working at DSW is the atmosphere we bring to customers the second they walk through the door. DSW can be a time for Christmas shopping, retail therapy or a necessity.

I enjoy helping customers find what they are looking for and seeing a smile on their face makes my day.

The associates are like family to me because I spend 40 hours a week with them. It is a constant moving job which is great because of all the energy I have.

The benefits are great and the culture is so diverse I never feel unwelcome.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
The drive to work
ever expanding company with great work culture
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 17, 2015
DSW is a great company that cares just as much for it's employees as it does for it's customers. They conduct annual employee surveys as well as quarterly "coffee chats" in store between the D.M and associates.

Company expectations for sales are always with in arms reach and obtainable. DSW has very realistic goals for it's stores.

DSW is a company that cares about the working culture in their stores. Break rooms are full of recognitions, latest selling trends, and opportunities for career and community outreach growth.
Fun Place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  SIlver Spring MarylandAugust 27, 2015
Working at DSW has been a fun place to work however the pay doesn't help me to support my self and therefor I have to work a second job to make ends meet. Also I have been working here for almost 3 years and have only had less than a dollar raise even after getting endless accolades and perfect performance ratings. Management and Coworkers are fine but the job duties can be a bit taxing such as running a store acting as loss prevention and also having to clean up afterwards. The most enjoyable part for me is the customers and coworkers and the relationships built with clientele.
Pros
pros: fun
Cons
Cons: low pay and excessive duties
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJMarch 29, 2016
I recently worked there and it was the worst experience ever. The management was rude and didn't care about what you were going through. The pay on the other half was great. Lots of favoritism. Horrible when it comes to training people. They expect you to watch a video and have everything in your mind and ready to work the next day. Very forcing to get "Rewards". If you don't, management "bans" you from the register. They need to have Corporate come out and see hows this place is ran. Lets send in some secret shoppers.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Fun, fast paced work environment
Assistant Merchandise manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNOctober 9, 2015
Every day was a faced with a new challenge. We had our daily work with customers and providing an excellent customer experience along with properly merchandising the store according to store layouts. Leading the merchandise team to unload four trucks of merchandise per week and allocate appropriate budget and time to complete the placement of new store merchandise. Management had to handle difficult situations with customers and sales associates and motivate the sales team with enthusiasm to reach daily goals.
Pros
Learned operational and merchandising side of retail management, worked with and developed many managers and team members, a lot of customer service experience
Cons
work/life balance
Not a long term career
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 7, 2016
very little room to advance, terrible pay for how long you are walking around and dealing with rude customers. the discount on shoes is the only reason i stayed longer. management likes to suppress you and micromanage. the job is easy but they are constantly checking up on you to make sure you know what to do. I transferred through several locations and they are all like this. you will never make more than $9.50/hour unless you are a store manager or assistant store manager.
Pros
discount on all shoes even clearance
Cons
pay, management
Terrible management with lack of corporate support
Lead Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 15, 2016
My location in the Prestonwood Center has terrible management that is always trying to break labor laws by making us work longer then 5 hrs before even thinking about taking a lunch. The GM is always changing hours around in Dayforce. Serious lack of communication between upper management and associates. The company quotes that they are suppose to be America's Favorite Place To Work, but do nothing to back this statement up.
Pros
shoe discount
Cons
terrible management, adjusting hours and rarely getting lunch breaks
Great company and great working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ramsey, NJFebruary 9, 2016
Fun work place with supportive management, focused on building a great product and a great culture. Strong leadership. Great customer service
Fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVJanuary 4, 2016
DSW is a place that people do enjoy working. During your shift you are required to customer engage, clean, merchandise, and if you're a cashier you have the job of making sure the customer is a rewards member with us and if they are not try and let them know of our free membership and the benefits that come with it. Also, you will be cash handling and doing returns and/or refunds. It does help if you're a pretty good typist because some of the reasons a customer doesn't want to sign up is how long it takes. Overall, if it is around peak time you will be running around everywhere and super busy, but when it isn't the most exciting time.
Pros
Fun and chatty staff, lots of staff potlucks/"party" type luches
Cons
not much room to grow
If you dont mind retail, go for it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 20, 2016
I went into the job morally to see if I liked retail. But now, I dont. The managers were good with breaks, good with giving direction. But the fact that the whole company was nit-picking with the rewards sign ups was a bit aggravating. I'm the type to not push something onto someone if they're not intrested. I never understood why it was such a big deal to get a certain amount of sign ups. If I follow the "script" word for word like they want, then don't bother me if they say no! They're their own person, I can't force them! I see the rewards program as somewhat beneficial, not really. Overall, I'm not all for retail. But if you don't mind it, you'll do fine.
Pros
Got all of my breaks, employees were nice, felt good to see customer happy after helping them
Cons
Nit-pickiness with certain things, very repetitive work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSW Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.