DSW Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,061 reviews matching the search
DSW, A fun retail store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJuly 27, 2017
DSW is a great place to work because the employees enjoy helping customers find their style of shoes. DSW offers a variety of shoe brands and styles that allows customers with different preferences to find that perfect fit. Over the two years I worked their I found that the customers are most satisfied with us when you take the time to listen to what they want and help them find it if they can't. It is also important to take that extra step into finding a shoe if its not in the store already. While I liked this job I found it difficult to follow through with the company's rewards program expectations. Some customers choose not to give out personal information or do not wish to sign up for the program but the company pushes the associates to get people to sign up. I feel as though the company is focused more on the rewards then the customers themselves.
Pros
excellent management
Cons
pressure for rewards
Great place part time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Humble, TX 77338July 27, 2017
Been at DSW for a few months now. Its a great place to work. Mangers are easy to get along with. employees are friendly fairly its an easy job. they do work with college students around your class schedule.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough Hours and not enough benefits for part time employees
Loved working at DSW
Sales Associate, Shoe Department (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2017
Let me start with the employees working there they are AMAZING they make feel like home and comfortable in the working environment. Management is amazing and free-spirited.
cool job
DSW Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 24, 2017
what girl didn't want to work with shoes all day. nice and clean environment, laid back, paid decent, and you got a great discount on the shoes there too
Worst job ever
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 23, 2017
Was one of the worst job ever they only kept me for a couple of days and let me go because of family emergency wouldn't recommend this job to anyone..
Wonderful Job!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oro Valley, AZJuly 20, 2017
Management was amazing and always very accommodating to my other jobs. They were very helpful in making sure that I didn't have conflicting schedule and were great about helping me learn a new system.
Retail Industry
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYJuly 20, 2017
Learned a lot about product placement. Built skills with how to up sell to customers, and learned how to communicate with customers to fit their needs and wants out of their experience at our location. Managers were always willing to help and teach everything they knew to help associates develop.
Store Manager- Terrible (South Barrington)
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  South Barrington, ILJuly 19, 2017
A typical day on the job consisted of employee's getting yelled at, consistently being told what we're doing wrong, but never showing us how to resolve the issue. A very racist women. I never felt welcome on the job. The store manager never helped clean up, she always bossed people around, and had a bad attitude. She would even talk bad about costumers to other employee's and would talk bad about employee's to other employee's. I would never work there ever again.
Pros
Really nice discounts, awesome costumers, nice hours, and great pay
Cons
uninviting employee's, terrible management, kind of strict dress code
Good management, flexible part-time hours
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 19, 2017
I liked my coworkers, but the shifts were long with not enough time to eat. Freight shifts were physically demanding, but I learned a lot and enjoying the labor. Meetings were productive, coworkers were good sports, but management did not know how to put theory and practice together.
Pros
Teaches good organizational skills
Cons
Short breaks
Shoe Lovers
Sales Associate/PREP Team (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAJuly 19, 2017
Great place to work with great values incorporated. Always looking at improving benefits for the employees. Position openings can be hard to obtain. Great place for school bound students as you can make your schedule in detail from any phone or computer.
Pros
Community Based, Scheduling Freedom
Cons
Hours, retail environment
fun workplace
DSW Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILJuly 18, 2017
great to work with others. willing to help you learn and get used to the environment and help with training. also great speed keeps you moving during the day
Pros
long breaks
Cons
time
Typical retail work atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 10, 2017
If you are a college kid and want a retail job, there is nothing wrong with DSW. Management can be a brutal headache and flexibility is not always rewarded. All in all, not a terrible place to work.
Experience was great to me honestly
Merchandise Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 8, 2017
I actually loved working here and with the managers and staff and overall workload just work advancment really wasn't there. They usually hire outside, rather then promoting within.
Working at DSW
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJuly 7, 2017
it was a great experience everyone was always very helpful and kind. Great team work and managers. generally I worked on register helped shoe lovers in the final stage of their shopping experience did the best I could to help people find their perfect shoe. Most nights was helping to close down the store cleaning and making everything perfect for the next day. I loved every part of my job and really loved working their.
Great place to start off
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 7, 2017
This is a great starter job - I started working here as soon as I graduated. A typical work day involved checking the sales floor inventory, managing the sales floor, and completing sales transactions. I learned how to check inventory and manage a cash register. Management here was so great and helpful. Co workers and management were super bubbly and positive. The hardest part of the job was shifting and redoing the sales floor. The most enjoyable part of the job would honestly have been enjoying the work environment with my co workers and interacting with all types of customers.
Huge store with lackluster management
Cashier Lead (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 6, 2017
The time that I worked at DSW was pretty tricky because we were changing a lot of management and retaining managers that, quite frankly, were lazy and useless. Not only did some of these managers just hide in the office, but when the coach you it's not helpful criticism. Aside from the management, the company itself is pretty good. The focus on the rewards program was strong and we were pressured to get sign ups at the register and on the sales floor, which not everyone is good at. I wasn't too bad at it and I didn't feel too pressured or care that much about killing my customers with the pressure to sign up. The company also set up hotlines and services if you needed to report anything like harassment or any kind of misconduct that you'd like to give anonymously which is great. Overall, the job isn't too hard and isn't too bad, just watch out for lazy managers that are fake and aren't friendly!
Pros
Discount, Great Healthcare Plan, Open Door Policy, Safe to Say Hotline
Cons
Lazy Managers
fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Chester, NYJuly 5, 2017
A cool place to work. The environment is fast pace so its a lot of multitasking. The management staff is very good. They will help you with whatever you need.
Pros
we sometimes have pizza parties.
Pros and Cons of DSW
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Livingston, NJJuly 3, 2017
Coworkers turn into family. However, that makes it difficult if wanting to have a social life outside of because you'll feel bad if you cannot take a coworkers shift. Also the workload is entirely too much for the pay.
Pros
Amazing discount
Cons
Hard work does not match the pay or gets the recognition we deserve
it is a good place to work when you are in school
Sales Associate - Retail (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 2, 2017
Since they dont have full-time positions, mostly students and people that have another job work there. There is no stress and co-workers and managers are friendly.
Fun co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJuly 1, 2017
No breaks if you work a 9 hour shift, just a 30 minute lunch. The Management was terrible. You will be on your feet all day, no chance to sit down at all.
Pros
Pays good
Cons
No breaks in a 9 hour day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSW Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.