DSW Inc.

DSW Inc. Employer Reviews

Friendly place with good associates
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), VAApril 30, 2014
Pros: friendly co workers
Cons: bad management
A typical day at work was me getting up at 5 in the morning to be at work at 6. We would unload a truck up to 200 cases and then organize it by category. We would have to put all those cases onto the floor before the freight team leaves at 2. The store would open at 10am so while we would be putting out freight we would be engaging with customers to – more... help find what they need. – less
Okay if you don't mind the same thing every day.
Sales associate (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLApril 24, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: paid every other week. short break if any at all. little pay.
DSW is an okay place to work for a college student. That's about it. You get paid just a little more than minimum wage. They are flexible on the scheduling that's why I believe it's a good fit for a student in college. There's really no incentive for anything. It's possible to move up into managerial positions as long as you're good at kissing butt. – more... I've been there for 2 years and I am ready to get out. – less
Not a Good Experience At All
Assistant Manager of Merchandising and Operations (Former Employee), MichiganApril 22, 2014
Pros: good discount, generous vacation package for managers casual dress code.
Cons: unrealistic expectations, stingy, too focused on customers, and not employees.
I worked at DSW for 18 months as an Assistant Manager. Right from the start I was treated poorly by two of the managers who were already there. (very catty and unprofessional, and talked behind people's backs, including mine.) The job is not very challenging or interesting. You spend most of the day picking up peoples trash from the floor. Company is – more... very stingy with hours. We never seemed to have enough coverage on the floor. Company wants picture perfect stores with low shrink, but we have to send people home if we are not busy, and this changes hourly. If a customer complains, they get 100% support, and the employees get none. I was let go because of a customer complaint about an associate that happened while I was manager on duty. Had nothing to do with me. I have never worked for a company who has treated me so unfairly. Actually, I'm glad I was let go, because I now work for a really good company. I wish I had that 18 months of my life back. and I will never shop there again. – less
bad
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLApril 21, 2014
Pros: 30% off on items
Cons: no way to move up even if offeered
you were not allowed to talk to anyone unless a customer has said something to you. you had to walk on eggshells because you didn't want to go in to trouble. they take everything so seriously. you are not allowed to stand up for yourself if you do be prepared to get penalized. the co workers are amazing just the management team is horrid. no way to – more... move up even if offered. – less
LOVE LOVE LOVE!
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Falls Church, VAApril 20, 2014
This has to be one of my favorite jobs! I was there for almost a year, but I was also still in high school so I was trying to focus on graduating/ prom etc... There were very flexible around my schedule also . We also got pretty good discounts on merchandise as well so that was a bonus!
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 8, 2014
Pros: i get to work in an enviroment where everyone gets along!
Cons: none.
Assisted customers with product selection and queries

• Operated cash register as and when necessary
• Managed shelf stocking and pricing activities
• Handled inventory and stocks
• Reviewed merchandize movement
It feel like family
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brentwood, CAApril 3, 2014
I loved working for DSW, unfortunately I had to relocate. It felt like I could interact with my co-workers as if they were family, and that is important to me.
horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Marlton, NJMarch 26, 2014
Pros: 30% off discount.
Cons: unprofessional management, favoritism, racism
The only positive aspect of my particular DSW store was the discount. This review isn't for all the stores as I know for a fact other local stores were completely different.

Micromanagement is taken to an extreme at this location. We were yelled at on the headset constantly and our jobs were threatened for every little thing. A former manager actually – more... screamed at me in front of a customer I was helping. Many employees(including myself) have walked out crying because of the rude, vindictive managers.

We were not allowed to speak to each other AT ALL. Even if we were talking about work stuff or helping each other with a task, we would get yelled at.

Our store manager racially profiled our customers... if an african american walked into our store, we were forced to follow them around... the code over the headset was "clean up/trash in (whatever section)"

You never know what time you'll get off work. For example your shift will be 10am-2pm/6pm meaning you cant plan anything for that day and they can change their mind even after you clock out for the day. I've been flagged down in the parking lot and forced to clock back in because if i didn't, they'd literally give me 0 hours the following week.

Dress code only applies to certain employees. If I wore the exact same outfit as one of the managers favorites, only I would get in trouble.

Sometimes made us clean the public bathrooms WITHOUT GLOVES. This is absolutely unacceptable since we are cleaning human waste and using harsh chemicals.

Company attendance policies only applies to some employees. Consecutive call outs for an illness is supposed to count as ONE call out but not if they don't like you... – less
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Yonkers, NYMarch 26, 2014
Pros: working in a diverse workplace, employee discounts
Cons: no benefits for part-time workers, in store promotions
from working this job, I learned how to handle a high volume store and still be able to deliver great customer service. increased my ability to multitask, working with great associates as a team player.
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Holyoke, MAMarch 20, 2014
Cons: must work one day of the weekends
No complaints, just have to work a lot of hours to receive a positive check every 2 weeks. You HAVE to work a weekend day. Make plans in your life 1-2 weeks before hand before the schedule is set or just put in a request form a week before.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Merrillville, INMarch 17, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: communication with managemnt
Been working for DSW for close to a year. Working in Retail has been a learning experience. The culture and working with the public has been a life changing experience and has helped me grow better in my career and also learning strong key elements of sales.
Managment position that I enjoy but constant turnover and schdueling issues
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Fort Wayne, INMarch 8, 2014
Pros: professionalism, product, love the hr side of the job
Cons: store levelmanagement turnover, lack of communication by upper managment
A typical day at work is coaching, directing, payroll, tracking employee files,operational duties, customer service and reporting.

The management staff works together to run the store efficiently. I have a fantastic partnership with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is that there has been constant management turnover (Store and Assistant Manager – more... level) I have had to go months over the past year and a half with only myself and one other manager. Due to the management turnover I have had to take on extra hours and projects.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be the customer's, boss and team. – less
Productive and fun workplace - fantastic designer products at a fraction of the normal price
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 4, 2014
Pros: great discount on amazing shoes, jewelry, purses, hats, scarves; fun and passionate employees
Cons: short breaks and lunch, no benefits for part time, i.e. no healthcare or paid holidays
My co-workers and managers are positive and engaging people, passionate about our products. There is one main store manager and 4 other managers. Usually at least two are there at all times except when closing. One nice thing they implement is a group "huddle" at the beginning of each employees shift in which they review the previous day's sales and – more... rewards program enrollments among other things, such as new product we have received.

There are many different tasks which might be assigned to any employee. For example, I may start as the main cashier. There are six cash registers, and it can get very busy. So there is always at least one person covering the front to process returns, place online orders and check out customers. We have a 15 minute break every two hours and a half hour break every four hours. After a few hours as main cashier, I might be asked to walk the floor, which means ensuring the products are tidy on the sales floor while ensuring first and foremost that our customers receive excellent customer service.

One of our policies is that if we don't have the right shoe size, we will order it from our online inventory and ship it for free. – less
Fun, fast paced, consistently changing environment
Assistant Merchandising Manager (Former Employee), Torrance, CAMarch 3, 2014
Pros: discounts, fashion, customers, benefits, growth opportunities
Cons: non set schedule
A typical day at work consisted of making sure our guests had a great experience at our store and insuring they left with what they came for and more. I learned to be more patient and understanding when dealing with staff members and guests. I learned product knowledge and year around fashion focus. As part of the management team myself, we instilled – more... our team to be a well running machine. Team work, consistency, follow-ups and praises are always key. Creating the environment, not only for the guests, but also for the staff. Hardest part of the job was the scheduling, leaves you little room for balance and structure in your personal life. Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and establishing long lasting relationships. – less
Productive and Great Experience
Retail Associate (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: networking
Cons: sign ups and theft
A typical day at work requires one to be in a great mood. You learn how to deal with multiple customers. One must keep the floor neat and organized to the best of their ability. Co-workers are very helpful and teamwork is a key thing when working in a big shoe store. Whether you are on the floor or at the cash wrap, one must be able to get customers – more... to sign up for the rewards program. It tends to be the hardest part, as well as, trying to notice people who are stealing. The best part though is just meeting new people from all over the world. – less
Work Place at DSW
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2014
DSW in Washington, D.C., was an enjoyable experience. I learned in great detail about retail service, interactions with customers, and how to be a professional during a work setting.
Biased management with minimal communication and counter-productive management tactics
Store Manager - DSW 29484 Rochester (Current Employee), Rochester, MNFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: theme days, friendly competitions, bravo cards, customer service
Cons: work/life balance, lack of training, emphasis on personal relationships outside of work, management, lack of communication, unrealistic expectations
DSW boasts that they strive to create a culture centered around 4 core values: passion, accountability, collaboration and humility. While store associates are coached and motivated to uphold these values, higher level management consistently lacks all 4. Coaching and communication is very limited, which paired with unrealistic expectations makes DSW – more... a miserable place to work. Management tactics include minimal training and development, preferential treatment based on personal relationships outside of the work place, lack of confidentiality, and accusatory and demeaning coaching.

On a positive note, select individuals foster a fun environment amongst store associates. While this is rare occurrence, these individuals organize activities such as theme days, friendly competitions, and an opportunity to receive prizes from a recognition bin. While this can be a fun environment for store associates, moving in to management is especially rare. Once in a management position, the lack of support and demeaning development techniques greatly over weigh any benefits of some of the day-to-day activities. – less
Great Company to work for.
Regional Recruiter (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: excellent company to work for.
I was a Regional Recruiter for DSW. I left to move home to Oklahoma to help take care of my mother.
Productive learning place.
Stock Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 11, 2014
Great working place, great shows, great co workers great everything
America's Favorite Place to Work
Stock Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 8, 2014
The atmosphere is comfortable. Being able to provide customer service to consumers makes the job fun.

DSW Inc. Photos