DSW Inc. Employee Reviews

If you love hard work this is the place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAOctober 20, 2016
Fast paced
Over load on low pay
High expectations from associates
Customer service is high.. Do not say the word "NO"
Will be hovered by managers
If conflicted with customers you will be on your own!
Co-workers are like family we help eachother out but other than that your on your own!
Pros
Discount
Cons
No people skills in mangment
Picker/Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 1, 2017
No communication between employees, or management. Any signs of advancement are blocked by drama amongst the workers, not much else sucks you gotta write so much just you heard, be happy I took the time to write this any way could a just skipped it
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Manegment who have power issues
Good place to work if.....
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2016
DSW was a good place to work. The work is not hard, tedious at times but not hard or stressful. Management was very respectful and helpful. Co-workers were chill and easy to get along with for the most part. The only downside is if you are scheduled to close that could mean you do not leave the store until two to three hours after the store has actually closed. This is because no one can leave until the entire store is cleaned completely; not just the section you work in but the entire store. This was the only down side as I have a three year old at home amd several times I didn't get home until after one in the morning. Unfortunately, I had to resign becasue of an internship opportunity or else I'd like to have stayed on much longer.

P.S. Did I mention you get a great discount on shoes, and DSW has a great selection!! Definite plus.
Pros
Great discount. Nice people to work with.
Cons
Closing can mean very late hours.
fun work place
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  New York StateAugust 19, 2016
Theres nothing hard about the job.The employees get a long very well it makes it fun at work when we all get along, as for the management team, most of them do support NOT ALL. the most enjoyable part about work is when we all see each other we always make it fun at work with makes the day go by quick. They could improve on coverage because a lot of people are constantly leaving.
Pros
30% off, 15%off phone bills movies and much more
Cons
short breaks, rude customers, coverage
DSW as a work place
Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock, Retail (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 7, 2016
A typical day at DSW would very. Some days are slow, and some days are busy. Some days I would be stocking, some days I would work the floor, but most days I was head cashier.
I learned a lot of communication skills with costumer service working at DSW. I also learned how to use a register, pricing gun (RF is what we called it). I also learned a lot about foot wear and current fashion trends.
My coworkers were not the best unfortunately. We got along but I was always fixing their errors. Its very hard for me to not get along with someone.
The store head manager was amazing. We talked like friends but also were professional. I trusted her to go to her if I ever needed anything and she came to me a lot to help out with the store or others.
Hardest part of the job for me was getting up early for the 6am stock shifts. But those were also my favorite shifts.
Pros
15 minute break, friendly head manager
Cons
Underpaid, under appreciated
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morgan Hill, CAAugust 17, 2016
A typical day at work for me two days out the week involved doing freight/stock in the mornings. During other days I mainly was cashier or on the sales floor customer servicing and doing recovery making sure the shoes were in place and there was nothing on the floor. The most enjoyable part was getting to work with others and meeting new people. Sometimes the hardest part was freight in that finding space was sometimes an issue.
It was a fun productive work place but they would hardly give hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 19, 2016
It was a okay job and it was fun at times but beacuse of the business being slow they would hardly give us any hours and we had no security system so every time something would get stolen from the floor our hours would get cut
Pros
Getting people to signup for great deals and rewards
Cons
Security
Fun and active workplace with great coworkers.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 23, 2016
Provide customer service, serving +50 customers a day, accurately manage register transactions, maintain stock, and organize marketing displays, in addition to collaborating with multiple employees to execute larger projects efficiently.
Pros
Friendly and positive work environment.
Cons
Poor benefits and pay with few opportunities to advance position.
Productive and fun work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 12, 2016
I would have to try to get as many reward members as possible. I learned more about what customers want. The enjoyable part of the job is seeing a satisfied customer with their purchase. It's a nice feeling when you were the reason they bought the particular item.
Very fun and energetic place to work
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 30, 2016
Enjoyable and exciting to come into work with guaranteed breaks and a steady hourly income, management was considerate of your well being and your hours and scheduling was always done in accordance to your availability
Pros
Breaks, awards on sales
Excellent
Temporary Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 3, 2017
Employees are great to work with and are very friendly. The company itself is amazing and actually cares for their employees and customers and is dedicated to constantly bettering their business in the eyes of the employees and customers.
Communication problems. Don't communicate with drivers
Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 10, 2016
Don't communicate with drivers. Just a number. Company leased to swift. Essentially working for swift. Terrible communication. Repeatedly waiting for a response from dispatch. Long waiting periods.
Pros
Cons
Can't get mileage
Drama, drama, drama
Sales Associate at DSW (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJuly 14, 2016
Different expectations for different employees, in other words management didn't hold everyone accountable for the same standards. Management always gossiping. GM always late, also very passive agressive. They also have you almost harassing customers when they enter the store, when they enforce customer service. I had an experience where all of the managers were up front and greeted the customer and made me go customer service him right after and he was irritated and asked if he could just shop? There was always so much drama going on, by the end of my year and half there I dreaded going in to work.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Drama, sorry management, unfair standards
Sales person
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNAugust 29, 2016
during this time, management was fairly young and full of drama. There was a high turnover with management. They also were not too great with people calling in sick. They also had a strange reward system for employees and it was not really enforced. Compensation was just okay at that time. I think it has gotten better.
BitterSweet
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albany NYJuly 13, 2016
Working for DSW was a bittersweet experience. Although I had much respect for my Store manager, the day to day work experience I didn't enjoy. There were many days I enjoyed my day at work the coworkers were friendly, and sometimes easy to converse with but other days they were standoffish, and seemed to not want to be bothered. The most enjoyable part of my job was being in a store filled with shoes. The hardest part of my job was always walking in for my shift not knowing what type of atmosphere the coworkers were going to share that day.
Challenging Retail Environment but Fantastic Culture
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 21, 2016
Challenging Retail Environment but Fantastic Culture -- You are expected to work hard and get the opportunity to work alongside very talented ambitious people. You will get noticed and recognized as a hardworker.
Fun yet calm workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 13, 2016
I liked this job however, if you decide to work here please do not put all your eggs in one basket. I quit another job to work here and even turned down other job opportunities because I thought I had a good one here but they literally hire & fire people with the seasons. I was here for about a month when they decided they did not need my ENTIRE training group anymore. Cool people though, mostly. Some smart as.ses here and there but you have to have the skill to kill with kindness !
Dsw
Sales Associate/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTDecember 30, 2016
Great place to work, I enjoyed work and my coworkers. I was able to versify my job by being apart of every part of the management of the store. I unloaded new freight, customer serviced on the sales floor, and worked as a key holder with management.
If you dont mind retail, go for it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 20, 2016
I went into the job morally to see if I liked retail. But now, I dont. The managers were good with breaks, good with giving direction. But the fact that the whole company was nit-picking with the rewards sign ups was a bit aggravating. I'm the type to not push something onto someone if they're not intrested. I never understood why it was such a big deal to get a certain amount of sign ups. If I follow the "script" word for word like they want, then don't bother me if they say no! They're their own person, I can't force them! I see the rewards program as somewhat beneficial, not really. Overall, I'm not all for retail. But if you don't mind it, you'll do fine.
Pros
Got all of my breaks, employees were nice, felt good to see customer happy after helping them
Cons
Nit-pickiness with certain things, very repetitive work
Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day at work was walking around picking up trash from the aisles or putting back boxes left on the ground. The management was quite horrible and unreliable. The only enjoyable part were my coworkers.
Pros
Break Time
Cons
Short Break

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSW Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.