DSW Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

fun, lots to learn
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 15, 2016
Main role is being the MOD during 2-4hour segments. Coach associates, resolve customer issues, complete daily tasks. Learn different roles such as merchandising, truck prep/shipment, operations and hiring/processing new associates.
Pros
employee discount, great work/life balance, vacation time offered right away
Great Most Of The Time.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 23, 2016
A typical day at work is pretty easy, keeping the store clean and customers happy. That being said there will be bad customers like at any store. Management can be cool, but also there is a huge possibility you will hate a couple of your managers.
Rewards are hammered into you and you will at times want to scream but you will live. The hardest part of the job is rewards and closing. I was repeatedly told that for ever person i had who didn't sign up for rewards I should have 4 new sign-ups in that shift alone. Closing is hard because the store closes at 9 and it part of your responsibility to clean, but you aren't supposed to start until the last customer leaves, and you cant tell a customer to leave because the store is closed. The most enjoyable part that can also be bad is the headsets. Once you make friends with your co-workers there will be semi-constant conversation that will have you about to explode with laughter. However these can also be bad because if you do make a mistake you may get called out over the headset, which will make you very self conscious and hate your manager for a little bit.
Pros
Nice people, easy working, big discount
Cons
breaks are just long enough to eat, management can be bad, Rewards
You are a person not a truck part.
truck driver class a (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 9, 2015
It's fun to have the opportunity to travel trough the USA at the same time that you are working and contributing to the country's economy. this Company calls you by your name not a number like other big companies. Management treats you as a human been not as another part of their truck.
Co-workers you only see once in a while because we all working in different places but always nice when meet them Good people, hard workers.
The hardest part of the job is when you can't get good loads and you are doing lots of short runs.
The most enjoyable is the freedom of be in different places all the time
Pros
new trucks
Cons
hard to get them on line after 5pm before 8am. even on office hrs hard to communicate with your DM
passionate friendly and real work environment
part time sales associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 25, 2015
passionate and vibrant everyday experience with DSW i had the opportunity to learn how to customer service the customers by using the companies 4 engagements and values provided by the company to assist each customer. the management team is very loyal and collaborative with themselves and the associate team we work together to achieve companies goals and standards. the co workers are friendly and show humility when necessary.the most difficult part working with DSW is trying to educate those customers who are persistent on changing the companies policies and trying to avoid a customer complaint. i would have to say the most enjoyment working for DSW is simply the that great customer service experience and being able to be part of the team while making people for great through the power of shoes.
Pros
30% associate discount
Cons
not a lot of increase in promotions
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJanuary 29, 2016
The store management was always very helpful and happy to "get their hands dirty" with the work when needed as well as delegating tasks to the staff. My co-workers were all excellent and knowledgable about all DSW policies and procedures. The customer base was quite diverse which allowed us to learn and develop customer service skills that would accommodate any customer we encountered.
Awesome job... but...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 6, 2016
I loved working at DSW! Fun to have so many shoes around. Very laid back work environment.... until you get put on the register. They really PUSH reward sign ups and if you make the store percentage go down, you are made to feel less valuable in my opinion. I wish they put only the strong talkers on the register. Some people are better on the floor! Other than rewards, this is an amazing place to work. The pay ALMOST made it worth me staying, but the rewards program was just too much!
Very productive and friendly workplace
Sales (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 4, 2016
Working for DSW has so many perks! Every staff member is very friendly and helpful and does everything they can to make you feel comfortable and welcomed. The management is the best.
The hardest part about working any retail job is the rude customers; but there's always the days when you get those friendly faces and remember why you do what you do.
Pros
Shoe discount, meeting new people
Cons
Shoe discount, unfriendly customers
Fun and Productive
Sales Associate/Stock Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYJune 24, 2015
It is a fun place to work with great managers and co-workers. Great for students since they are flexible with your schedule and work with you to give you the amount of hours you want to work. It has a friendly environment.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits for part time
Productive enviroment
Assistant Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 1, 2016
The store was fast paced to work in. It was challenging with no payroll hours. The associates and management were pressured to get customers to sign up for rewards program.
Pros
loved the product
Cons
high turnover in associates, management and poor training
enjoyable workplace, fun
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAFebruary 16, 2016
learned alot about the products sold and trends, very fast paced and professional. co workers were fun and friendly hardest part of job would be recovery of sales floor at end of the day. easiest part would be working the cash register
Pros
great people
Cons
no advancement
flexible, fun easy laid back
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAFebruary 29, 2016
time off is not to good during the holidays. management team could do a better job at helping others who really dont speak the language advance, specially when they no more and do a better job
Great company and great working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ramsey, NJFebruary 9, 2016
Fun work place with supportive management, focused on building a great product and a great culture. Strong leadership. Great customer service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 1, 2016
Processed shipment onto the sales floor
Received and processed shipment into our inventory
Great communication with management
Enjoy working with my co-workers
Making space for new shipment would be the hardest part
Customer complements are the best part of my job
fast growing company, fast pace work environment
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  pasadena caJanuary 26, 2015
The typical work day at DSW starts with speaking to my managers and then being assign to a work station. As a cashier and floor associate i have multiple task, first and foremost as a cashier my job is to keep a close track on the money in my cash register and reporting lost or extra money. Being on register i do have the chance to tell customer about sales, discounts and big promotions. As a floor associate my job is to clean, organize, greet customers and help customer find the perfect shoes and accessories.
Working at DSW has taught me time management skills, organization skills, team work and overall listening to customers.
My managers and co-workers were all hard working individuals, we all had a hard time balancing family and work. We all seem to lean on each other for help at work and at home. i really enjoy all of my co-worker and as time went by we became friends. Leaving DSW and my co-worker had to have been the hardest part of working there.
Pros
fun atmosphere, working at the mall, being around lots of customers
Cons
short lunches, low pay raise
energetic staff,
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
energetic staff, room to grow within the company, flexible hours, easy overtime, good pay, as staff supervisor i maintained the cash wrap managed 5-7 associates per shift, the hardest part of the job was trying to right someones wrong.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
horrible management
Great co-workers not so great hours
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  worcester, MAJune 23, 2015
Being a part-time associate has very little benefits. I only get an employee discount and the hours are not good at least for me working on average of 8 hours per week isn't cutting it.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
little hours
Fun and compassionate peers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAOctober 12, 2015
I can't quite put my finer on what it is that makes the team at DSW so likeable and easy to bond with. My peers and management have proven to be fun, compassionate, quirky, and a lot a bit sassy- there was a long period of time I considered going to work like a second home- there were days I literally dreaded clocking off! The management constantly looked for ways I could learn as an associate and how I interact with pope socially. I was a bit reluctant to accept the criticisms at first, but looking back on how much I've grown as a person and associate, I truly value the time and effort they put into having me reach my potential!

Like any retail job, there will be times the employees needs appear secondary to the needs of the store. I have experienced management go out of their way to accommodate me in emergency situations, and I really appreciate what they've done for me.
Pros
Discount (on clearance items, too!), lifelong friendships formed with my team, a commitment to contributing to a fun shopping experience
Cons
Repetitive, Dad Jokes have been burned in mind
It was nice.
Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 16, 2016
Management was great. They really cared about the workers. It was nice interacting with the customers. However, in the day they lacked enough associate´s to cover the floors.
Cons
short breaks, short lunches.
Great place to work!
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJanuary 29, 2016
The people are friendly, management is good. The environment is so warm and welcoming, I was sad to leave!
You're work and life is always evenly balanced, so you never feel overwhelmed with working so much. Plus, it's easy to get time off if you need it.
Retail and bust your tail.
Salesman, (Former Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHDecember 7, 2015
Good work environment, fast paced, and a lot of interaction with people. Only problem that I had was their lack of a concrete schedule. You would be marked for four hours, but they could have you stay longer. Depending on sales. Just too hard to plan when you have a family that relies on you to be there and keep involve in your families lives.
Pros
Great employee discounts.
Cons
Time Management and staffing issues by management