DSW Inc.

DSW Inc. Employer Reviews

Great People, Great Customer
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Geneva, ILAugust 18, 2014
Pros: nice environment, mods welcomed, and great management
Cons: long closing times sometimes.
All I can say is if you love fashion bust mostly shoes, this is the place to be. I worked with some of the greatest people. Its very fast paced but also very fun.
Productive work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Akron, OHAugust 14, 2014
Pros: provide customer service.
Cons: needed more hours.
Assisted customers with their needs. Worked at the cash register for a great amount of the day. I also would sign customers up for the rewards program. Stock new shoes, and take older shoes to clearance.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Southfield, MIAugust 13, 2014
Typical work day: Stock Items, clean, and customer service
flexable and fun work place
Stock Lead/ Custodian (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYAugust 12, 2014
A typical day at work would be steaming and vacuuming all floors before the doors open. Performing activities associated with shipping, receiving and placement of product within a three floor flagship location. I've learned a lot since working here like how to supervise and help employees on work and safety procedures, amazing customer service, how to maintain positive company image during difficult situations, etc. The management could be better on communication. The hardest part about my job would have to be the time I have to be at work since its so early in the morning. The best part would have to be my co-workers and what I've learned from working with this company.
Overall DSW is a cool place to work. Great if you want to advance in the retail field.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 6, 2014
Pros: friendly enviornment, great team effort, flexible schedule, store discount
Cons: short breaks, inconsistency with work hours, rarely ever can enjoy a holiday, no benefits, pay is too low
I've been a sales associate with DSW for over 3 years now and it's a decent place to work. Even though the turnover rate is pretty consistent every couple months, I still happen to work with a pretty cool group of people. And of course the 30% discount, even on top of clearance items, doesn't hurt at all. But for someone whose heart isn't in retail, it can very quickly become a repetitive lifestyle.
Fun place to work
Associate (Current Employee), ConnecticutAugust 5, 2014
Co-workers are great. Learned a lot about merchandising and retail.
A lot of walking and standing but not hard work; very enjoyable.
AMAZING
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAAugust 2, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: if you are seasonal, you will most likely only be seasonal
I really loved DSW. I mean I was in love with the job. Sadly they were only able to keep me as a seasonal employee. It was a super easy job. You pretty much got to talk to people all day and walk around. The hardest part of this job was finding the right shoes for work. This job boosted my self confidence by letting you dress in a professional manner and not pushing learned how to use the register until you were at least three weeks into the job. They pay a little over min wage which was great for me because that paid more than my previous job. The work force was positive and super supportive. I will apply if there is another job opening in a heart beat.
Challenging work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Frisco, TXJuly 24, 2014
Pros: competitive pay
Cons: na
DSW has changed in the past several years. I had enjoyed my job with this company and had a great experience with them. When I left there was a huge shift in management, and I saw my position hired out from under me. They had a different direction they saw for the company and none of the managers that were there before were part of the direction they were going to go. I was part of a very successful store that was only down 1.5% in the area where other stores were down 7 or 8%. We were against a 15% increase so we had kept most of that increase during troubling economic times. We also had the highest conversion rate in the Dallas area,and reward sign up conversion. Clearance was a huge part of our business, and we had the cleanest well managed area. Once the Old Navy crew came in, they had a different focus which we all were behind. They decided they wanted their own managers and hired them in our positions.
There great
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 23, 2014
Pros: starting pay is high, management is understanding, very friendly environment
Cons: not many hours, cant tell people your closed
DSW is my first real job. They are great to there employees. hardest part of the job is closing. Management is very understanding. the vibe in the workplace is very relaxed and it feels like you're part of a family. I learned the value of time through scheduling and punctuality. a typical work day for me starts with a display project and that usually takes up most of my time all the while we are all interacting with people and eachother making the day enjoyable. I am nicknamed princess there and i love it everyone loves to be sassy and make the job and life fantastic!!!
it"s a good starter job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), South Bend, INJuly 22, 2014
This company is good for those who are just getting into work. For them liking to do promotions with in tho I feel they are poor at it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 19, 2014
I work as a customer service sales associate and cashier. I work with customers and sell shoes and accessories. I also worked with money as a cashier handling money.
Great place to work!
Sales Assocaite (Former Employee), Annapolis, MDJuly 16, 2014
Pros: discount, flexible schedule, management staff, co-workers, nice customers, reasonable work load, advancement opportunities
Cons: some times hours are inconsistent, pressure to sign up rewards members, unreasonable attendance point system
I really enjoyed working at my store. The management staff was excellent and the team really worked well together. The store manager is a really good guy, fair and supportive. The assistants are fun and super positive. Saturdays were the best time to work. It was always busy and I really liked interacting with the customers. The customers were really great, much better than my previous retail jobs.

There is opportunity for advancement and it's encouraged. In my two years we had two assistants promoted to higher level stores and two associates promoted into assistant manager positions. We also had a part time associate promoted into a full time position.

The Company is ok to work for. They put too much emphasis on reward sign ups expecting nearly 60% of all our customers to sign up. It's almost as if sign ups are more important than sales because that's what we hear more about. There is a lot of pressure to sign up customers and honestly many of them just aren't interested. Other than that I think it's a good company to work for. It's more about the management team in each store I think. My store was a great place to work but I know some other stores did not have such a good environment.
awesome
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 9, 2014
Awesome first job during the Halloween season. Just wished it wasn't a seasonal job.
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2014
Pros: excellent discount
Cons: not enough hours, no fulltime employees other than managament, rotating weekends would've been nice
The store was a fun place to work, the music was always playing and the customers were great. There was no rotating weekends, you worked every weekend and holiday. The management staff tried to be nice. I thought I was doing great there but I never got an evaluation and was just let go, I was told I couldn't be kept due to lack of hours and because I was seasonal
DSW WORK REVIEW
Sales Associate (Former Employee), iselin njJuly 2, 2014
Good job if you like having to harass customers and being harassed by your managers constantly. having to annoy every customer to sign up for rewards to the point that they get mad and are yelling at you but managers see nothing wrong with that. better pay than most sales associate job. managers play favoritism.
Company with Values
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Brea, CAJune 27, 2014
Pros: discount, values
DSW strives to use a set of values in each interaction with customers or associates. Pay is pretty good and there are opportunities for advancement depending on the store. Great company to work for if you love shoes - really good discount.
Not the best company I have worked for
Store Manager (Former Employee), Springfield, VAJune 26, 2014
Pros: compensation for store managers
Cons: environment, poor corp culture, opportunities, no work/life balance encouraged
I learned a good deal working at DSW and managing one of their stores for a few years. I value the experience and don't regret working for a "big box" retailer. However, they are very much bottom line driven and there is a lot of pressure on store managers. The culture and environment is to be expected when working at a large discount retailer.

In all of my retail career my DM at DSW was by far the worst experience I had with a manager. There was a lack of direction, support, understanding, coaching and the DM did not value my contribution. Some of this was due to the way my manager operated but also it was encouraged by the environment created by upper management.
it is a nice place to work par-time .
Sales Associate/ Par-time (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 17, 2014
Cons: short breaks
customer interaction all day.
front cashier
making sure the store is clean
helping customers with the new fashion in shoes
help customer with their returns
give good customer service to our customers
be available to listen to our customer so we could help them find what they are looking for.
Good place to work.
Team Leader / Key Holder (Former Employee), Ardmore, PAJune 11, 2014
Pros: bought tons of shoes on sale. nice place to work.
Cons: worked too many hours.
I was a team leader 1, key holder. I managed the store on the night shift and on the weekends. I managed the cashiers, and floor staff, and provide customer service. I broke down the registers and made the bank deposits and well as payroll on Sundays. I enjoyed meeting with the customers and finding great shoes.
Very good management, helpful and patient coworkers, great company values
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Daly City, CAJune 11, 2014
Pros: snacks in the breakroom, great company, discounts on shoes!!
Cons: remembering that some people do have intention to steal
A typical day would start with a group huddle summarizing the previous day and what needs to be done to accomplish the previous day's goals. We would be stationed in certain areas and be responsible for helping the customers and keeping the floor and displays presentable. I learned that in order to present the best customer service, one must have collaboration, accountability, passion and humility. At DSW, we all work as a team to make sure the customer gets the perfect shoe, size, or even just to get through the line quickly. Management is great with their knowledge and judgement of the floor and administrative things. They always have an answer for any question. My coworkers as well are very helpful. If there's any need for backup, they are always get out of their way to help. The hardest part about the job so far is helping customers find their perfect shoe because I'm always learning new things about the brands and styles but sometimes I just can't find the right pair. The most enjoyable part is when I am able to help the customer whether it be by finding a shoe or seeing if another store has their size or placing an order.

About DSW Inc.

DSW Inc. is a leading branded footwear and accessories retailer that offers a wide selection of brand name and designer dress, – Read more