DSW Inc. Employee Reviews

It was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 6, 2017
It was fun in the beginning. We were always busy because we were a new store. Once the newness died down, reality kicked in. We received new managers and things changed. I was working more than I was getting paid. HATED IT!!!
Productive Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day at work was walking around picking up trash from the aisles or putting back boxes left on the ground. The management was quite horrible and unreliable. The only enjoyable part were my coworkers.
Pros
Break Time
Cons
Short Break
Chill Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 4, 2017
This has been one of my favorite jobs so far and I've had quite a few. The environment is super chill and they only schedule you for what you put in the system as your availability. You get a good amount of hours per week (get paid biweekly). My co-workers are great, everyone gets along with one another. The hardest part of the job is putting back shoes people leave all over the store. The most enjoyable part is my co-workers and how easy the job is; also the 30% discount.
All work no play
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 4, 2017
Not that we all do not work hard, but when you are working overtime by 10-15 hours every week on a salary that allows you to live paycheck to paycheck, it is very easy to get burned out when there is no reward for your hardwork. No promotions, no work life balance, no pat on the back. However, this is not true of every single department. There is not a good balance between departments and no one is treated the same across the company. It's tough to see other teams get all the rewards and perks while they play and you struggle to get ahead. I wouldn't say do not apply here but just know that DSW sells and talks a big game about being a favorite place to work, but they have a LONG way to go before the even come close.
Pros
SHOES! Young professional atmosphere.
Cons
Conservative. No fresh ideas. No consistent worklife experience.
Excellent
Temporary Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 3, 2017
Employees are great to work with and are very friendly. The company itself is amazing and actually cares for their employees and customers and is dedicated to constantly bettering their business in the eyes of the employees and customers.
Worst job ever! BEWARE!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MIJanuary 3, 2017
I applied for this job because I was a long time "shoe lover" shopper at dsw and thought it'd be nice to work for a company I loved and loved to shop at. Had I known how terribly they treated their employees I would have never shopped with them as long as I did (since working there I no longer will shop there). On my interview I was not told I would be their cleaning crew including vacuuming the whole store, dusting, mopping, window cleaning, bathroom cleaning ( with as large of a corporation they are can't they afford a cleaning crew to do a thorough cleaning of the store?). I was also not told I'd be lifting 50lb boxes of shoes to be stocked at 6am. Management was horrible always cut your hours, changed your schedule last minute with less than 24 hour notice and sometimes no notice at all. A lot of times worked double shifts for employees who did not show up for work and not given breaks for lunch. Bathrooms were broken and backed up with raw sewage settlement for a week and a half and we were told to use the bathrooms from another retail store next door. I am a employee who likes to stay with a company for awhile and when asked by district manager how long I've worked there I told her 6 months she sounded ecstatic and said oh! You've been here forever! I was so shocked by this response, but after workig there for 6 months I can see why people don't stay much longer than that. Very high turn over of employees.
Great people, good hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 3, 2017
Great and fun people to work with. Always moving and working on something. Although the same tasks need to be done each day, every day is different. Hours are good and I can almost always pick up more shifts.
No people skills in mangment
Picker/Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 1, 2017
No communication between employees, or management. Any signs of advancement are blocked by drama amongst the workers, not much else sucks you gotta write so much just you heard, be happy I took the time to write this any way could a just skipped it
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Manegment who have power issues
Dsw
Sales Associate/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTDecember 30, 2016
Great place to work, I enjoyed work and my coworkers. I was able to versify my job by being apart of every part of the management of the store. I unloaded new freight, customer serviced on the sales floor, and worked as a key holder with management.
DSW was a great opportunity for me. It helped me start my career in management.
Assistant Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MODecember 28, 2016
The best part of my job was my staff and the customers. I learned a lot about what style of management I wanted for myself when dealing with employees. A typical day at work would consist of opening the store making sure marketing was out for the current sales we were having. The hardest part of my job sometimes was work/life balance.
Pros
Employee Appreciate and Discount
Cons
Feeling appreciated
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Glen Mills, PA 19342December 20, 2016
Nice place to work, nice management and good coworkers. Gives great chance to interact with people and get good customer service.
Okay job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 20, 2016
My first job. A very nice and clean store. Very customer friendly. Pushes credit cards and rewards alot. Great employee discount and management is very pleasant
Productive and friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVDecember 20, 2016
From the moment I started, everyone was friendly and welcoming. I love what the company does and the work they do for the public. My experience with DSW has been amazing and educational. I'd definitely recommend this company to a good friend in need of work.
Pros
Paid lunch time, 30% discount
Cons
Only part-time positions available
Productive and Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTDecember 19, 2016
Being able to help customers find exactly what they are looking for and keeping everyone, including employees, smiling with a warm environment. Learned everything there is to know about inventory, packing and shipping. Management had the most helpful and warm-hearted people in charge and they were always around on the floor to help along with employees. Co-workers were awesome! They all had a positive vibe coming in and leaving. The hardest part of the job is getting people to say yes to the rewards program. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet people from all over and building relationships with co-workers.
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 15, 2016
dsw is great to work at because there is a 30% off discount including clearance items. the people are fun to work with and the managers are always flexible with scheduling.
Pros
flexible scheduling, discount
Cons
boring when slow
Difficult hours
Merchandising Manager/Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 14, 2016
SM would never close the store or work many weeks (although required by policy). This caused a major issue and all other associates and Assistant Manager's Work Life Balance.
Productive and fun work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 12, 2016
I would have to try to get as many reward members as possible. I learned more about what customers want. The enjoyable part of the job is seeing a satisfied customer with their purchase. It's a nice feeling when you were the reason they bought the particular item.
Good place to work if.....
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2016
DSW was a good place to work. The work is not hard, tedious at times but not hard or stressful. Management was very respectful and helpful. Co-workers were chill and easy to get along with for the most part. The only downside is if you are scheduled to close that could mean you do not leave the store until two to three hours after the store has actually closed. This is because no one can leave until the entire store is cleaned completely; not just the section you work in but the entire store. This was the only down side as I have a three year old at home amd several times I didn't get home until after one in the morning. Unfortunately, I had to resign becasue of an internship opportunity or else I'd like to have stayed on much longer.

P.S. Did I mention you get a great discount on shoes, and DSW has a great selection!! Definite plus.
Pros
Great discount. Nice people to work with.
Cons
Closing can mean very late hours.
Wow! What a great company!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 9, 2016
I only worked here for a year but it was a fantastic company! The policies they have in place are great and management is good. I would go back and work there if I weren't in my career.
Pros
Opportunity for promotion
DSW as a work place
Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock, Retail (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 7, 2016
A typical day at DSW would very. Some days are slow, and some days are busy. Some days I would be stocking, some days I would work the floor, but most days I was head cashier.
I learned a lot of communication skills with costumer service working at DSW. I also learned how to use a register, pricing gun (RF is what we called it). I also learned a lot about foot wear and current fashion trends.
My coworkers were not the best unfortunately. We got along but I was always fixing their errors. Its very hard for me to not get along with someone.
The store head manager was amazing. We talked like friends but also were professional. I trusted her to go to her if I ever needed anything and she came to me a lot to help out with the store or others.
Hardest part of the job for me was getting up early for the 6am stock shifts. But those were also my favorite shifts.
Pros
15 minute break, friendly head manager
Cons
Underpaid, under appreciated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSW Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval