DSW Inc.

DSW Inc. United States Employee Reviews

it is a nice place to work par-time .
Sales Associate/ Par-time (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 17, 2014
Cons: short breaks
customer interaction all day.
front cashier
making sure the store is clean
helping customers with the new fashion in shoes
help customer with their returns
give good customer service to our customers
be available to listen to our customer so we could help them find what they are looking for.
Good place to work.
Team Leader / Key Holder (Former Employee), Ardmore, PAJune 11, 2014
Pros: bought tons of shoes on sale. nice place to work.
Cons: worked too many hours.
I was a team leader 1, key holder. I managed the store on the night shift and on the weekends. I managed the cashiers, and floor staff, and provide customer service. I broke down the registers and made the bank deposits and well as payroll on Sundays. I enjoyed meeting with the customers and finding great shoes.
Very good management, helpful and patient coworkers, great company values
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Daly City, CAJune 11, 2014
Pros: snacks in the breakroom, great company, discounts on shoes!!
Cons: remembering that some people do have intention to steal
A typical day would start with a group huddle summarizing the previous day and what needs to be done to accomplish the previous day's goals. We would be stationed in certain areas and be responsible for helping the customers and keeping the floor and displays presentable. I learned that in order to present the best customer service, one must have collaboration, accountability, passion and humility. At DSW, we all work as a team to make sure the customer gets the perfect shoe, size, or even just to get through the line quickly. Management is great with their knowledge and judgement of the floor and administrative things. They always have an answer for any question. My coworkers as well are very helpful. If there's any need for backup, they are always get out of their way to help. The hardest part about the job so far is helping customers find their perfect shoe because I'm always learning new things about the brands and styles but sometimes I just can't find the right pair. The most enjoyable part is when I am able to help the customer whether it be by finding a shoe or seeing if another store has their size or placing an order.
Positive place to work.
Prodiction Lead / Inventory Control (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJune 11, 2014
Pros: cookouts
Cons: favoritism
Good place to work. the people are nice and are always willing to help out when needed
People are great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Holyoke, MAJune 10, 2014
Pros: discount
Some people can be rather strict and everything is very fast paced on busy days which is expected of retail. Employees are upbeat and get along and enjoy helping customers and each other.
Great hours
Shoe Salesperson (Former Employee), Buford, GAJune 7, 2014
I didnt mind working for DSW, but there are just some indefinite dates I was unable to work.
N/A
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Avondale, AZJune 3, 2014
Nice environment to work in. Great company to work for, awesome employee discount on shoes.
Loved working there
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 26, 2014
Loved working here, except for some managers here and there. Nothing to complain about except managers may be pushy when it came to signing up people for rewards.
Proven leader that develops talent, fosters a positive work environment while driving results
District Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 25, 2014
Productive and Enjoyable Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 19, 2014
Pros: the schedule
Cons: the hours are too inconsistent
A typical Day at DSW for me is usually a eight hour shift. I learned to have lots of patients working at DSW. For the most part there are pretty good mangers. I think I have one of the best store mangers. The hardest part of my day is when the store is slow, I like to have a steady flow of traffic in the store. The most enjoyable part of day Is when I assist a customer and I find them a beautiful shoe that they are going love.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee), Eatontown, NJMay 14, 2014
Pros: good vibes
Cons: short breaks
Enjoyed my self working there. Coworkers were excellent. I loved my coworkers they were really cool
Not what I expected
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Aventura, FLMay 13, 2014
You would be told one thing and then told another thing, which did not make sense. Advancing in this company is not what you expect.
Not worth the stress
Associate (Former Employee), CaliforniaMay 13, 2014
Pros: associates who are completely down to earth, and friendly with no drama at work and the cool customers that u meet once in a blue moon, and the 30% employee discounts, great pay
Cons: management sucks
This job sucks! Next to nothing hours while you are working your hardest, no one acknowledges your efforts, rewards program is overly exaggerated, no benefits nor vaca for pt employees which is all of the associates, managers get all the benefits and vaca time, encourage you to speak your mind and ask questions but treat you like an idiot when you dont know how to do something and even them themselves dont know how to do it, they work you like a slave basically, they dont care about your family even if your child is sick and dying at the hospital you are to remain at work and forget that u have a sick child at home to worry about. Point blank they only care about themselves! Totally NOT America's favorite place to work!!!
Fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kennesaw, GAMay 12, 2014
If you love shoes and giving cheerful customer service this is a great place to work. Very upbeat and all around a great environment. A lot of switches between management but I think that is expected when working in the retail industry.
Low end
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Brentwood, CAMay 7, 2014
Pros: good school job.
Cons: stressful, low/inconsistent hours, no advancement opportunities, bad management.
No opportunity for advancement, only part time available. They teach you just what they want you to do, meaning the workloads are often distributed unevenly and you have people who do harder work and more of it for more or less the same pay. Management makes thing unnecessarily stressful by giving you impossible time limits when they are unaware of how much work there is to be done.
Ok place to work at
Sales Representative Seasonal (Former Employee), Long Island, NYMay 4, 2014
Pros: discounts
Decent working environment. The weekends are pretty hectic in the store.
Friendly place with good associates
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), VAApril 30, 2014
Pros: friendly co workers
Cons: bad management
A typical day at work was me getting up at 5 in the morning to be at work at 6. We would unload a truck up to 200 cases and then organize it by category. We would have to put all those cases onto the floor before the freight team leaves at 2. The store would open at 10am so while we would be putting out freight we would be engaging with customers to help find what they need.
Okay if you don't mind the same thing every day.
Sales associate (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLApril 24, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: paid every other week. short break if any at all. little pay.
DSW is an okay place to work for a college student. That's about it. You get paid just a little more than minimum wage. They are flexible on the scheduling that's why I believe it's a good fit for a student in college. There's really no incentive for anything. It's possible to move up into managerial positions as long as you're good at kissing butt. I've been there for 2 years and I am ready to get out.
Not a Good Experience At All
Assistant Manager of Merchandising and Operations (Former Employee), MichiganApril 22, 2014
Pros: good discount, generous vacation package for managers casual dress code.
Cons: unrealistic expectations, stingy, too focused on customers, and not employees.
I worked at DSW for 18 months as an Assistant Manager. Right from the start I was treated poorly by two of the managers who were already there. (very catty and unprofessional, and talked behind people's backs, including mine.) The job is not very challenging or interesting. You spend most of the day picking up peoples trash from the floor. Company is very stingy with hours. We never seemed to have enough coverage on the floor. Company wants picture perfect stores with low shrink, but we have to send people home if we are not busy, and this changes hourly. If a customer complains, they get 100% support, and the employees get none. I was let go because of a customer complaint about an associate that happened while I was manager on duty. Had nothing to do with me. I have never worked for a company who has treated me so unfairly. Actually, I'm glad I was let go, because I now work for a really good company. I wish I had that 18 months of my life back. and I will never shop there again.
bad
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLApril 21, 2014
Pros: 30% off on items
Cons: no way to move up even if offeered
you were not allowed to talk to anyone unless a customer has said something to you. you had to walk on eggshells because you didn't want to go in to trouble. they take everything so seriously. you are not allowed to stand up for yourself if you do be prepared to get penalized. the co workers are amazing just the management team is horrid. no way to move up even if offered.

About DSW Inc.

DSW Inc. is a leading branded footwear and accessories retailer that offers a wide selection of brand name and designer dress, – Read more

DSW Inc. Salaries