DSW Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Exciting environment and a great teamwork driven company.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 12, 2016
The place was amazing it just wasn't my passion. It very productive and staff friendly. Not a high turn over. A open door policy that is not hesitant in resolving issues or concerns.
Pros
Amazing shoe discount
Cons
Only part-time availability available.
Productive and Hardworking
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 12, 2016
While at this job I have learned good communication skills and how to multitask which was an important factor of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was being with co-workers and managers that had great attitudes.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks, not flexible with my schedule
Best job I've ever had.
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 10, 2016
I've been with DSW for a year next month and it was my first retail position. I was really nervous but all of the other associates were so kind when training me. No question was ever stupid. They truly made me feel like I wasn't just their co worker but I was their friend. The management is also extremely professional. I can truly say that working for this store has not just taught me a lot, but I've made some great friends along the way. Such a friendly, positive and happy environment to work in.
Pros
Always something to do, fair break times, friendly co workers
Cons
Slow seasons cause shorter hours, not too high of pay
Outstanding organization.Values based leadership.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 9, 2016
Innovative footwear retailer. Company values are at the core of everything we do and that makes experience very special. Field leadership is empowered to serve both the internal and external customer. Could not ask to work of a better organization.
Not the best experience
Call Center (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 6, 2016
First impression, thought it was nice but the longer you're there your opinion may change. Was hired as a temp, was told that they're looking to keep temps. (Not true). The website has way too many issues(slow, lags, glitches) and so does their shipping service. Reps are left to deal with really angry customers whose orders are screwed up thanks to the not so user friendly website and awful shipping service. Some of the people here are unprofessional and the whole place just gives you the overall high school vibe.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Short lunch break, management, slow technology
Great company
Assistant Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAJanuary 5, 2016
Great company to work for. appreciates employees and offers great training. Really good management team. Very fast paced environment . constantly evolving.
Fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVJanuary 4, 2016
DSW is a place that people do enjoy working. During your shift you are required to customer engage, clean, merchandise, and if you're a cashier you have the job of making sure the customer is a rewards member with us and if they are not try and let them know of our free membership and the benefits that come with it. Also, you will be cash handling and doing returns and/or refunds. It does help if you're a pretty good typist because some of the reasons a customer doesn't want to sign up is how long it takes. Overall, if it is around peak time you will be running around everywhere and super busy, but when it isn't the most exciting time.
Pros
Fun and chatty staff, lots of staff potlucks/"party" type luches
Cons
not much room to grow
Very productive and friendly workplace
Sales (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 4, 2016
Working for DSW has so many perks! Every staff member is very friendly and helpful and does everything they can to make you feel comfortable and welcomed. The management is the best.
The hardest part about working any retail job is the rude customers; but there's always the days when you get those friendly faces and remember why you do what you do.
Pros
Shoe discount, meeting new people
Cons
Shoe discount, unfriendly customers
Worst Job I've Ever Had
Sales and Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LADecember 28, 2015
Everyone is as friendly as can be when you first get hired but start to get mean and nasty when you get comfortable. There is no room for advancement here. I would only recommend this job for people who need extra income or typically, high school people. Management is horrible. They cut your hours while at the same time hiring more people. The job is pretty boring.
Pros
30% discount, free snacks
Cons
No hours, no advancement, stressful.
Retail Management
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Carle Place, NYDecember 28, 2015
Everyday is a different experience working will all customers to fit their needs and create an enjoyable shopping experience

What truly makes the job special are the people you work with on a day to day basis
What joke
call center (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 28, 2015
I was told they would keep you after the Holidays as long as your calls was 75% or higher mine was 100% and never missed a day my whole 90 days ..... they hired so many people they had to send people home to make room so the 2nd shift had a desk to sit at you only got one week of training then was put on phones and was told to put on hold and raise hand if you needed help! there systems were set up to make you fail or make the customers mad to where they was yelling and screaming and managers said to just give 10.00 off and that would calm them down !! also the managers would interrupt your calls if they walked by and over heard you and they thought you needed help! no other call center would interrupt your calls !!
HIGHLY Unprofessional!!! they did not even have the balls to let us come in and get our stuff or talk to us in person they call us seasonal workers to fire us
I was never told I was seasonal I was not even hired thru a temp service !! They would not even give the temp people the discount everyone else got like myself then they brag about how they did 2 million in sales but cant give there works a 30% discount
Terrible place to work
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GADecember 24, 2015
This company is the most ungrateful company ive ever worked for. They pressure you and customer over the rewards program and I've even witnessed an employee cry because our manager was getting on her so hard. They are so worried about people stealing but have no detectors or lost prevention in store to stop them. Plus is you catch this you can't say anything regardless. Then when boxes come up missing its because your not "customer servicing". Perfect job if you like staying unpredictable hours when your schedule says you get off at 10 but you leave at 11:30. So working 1:30 til 11:30 is almost unbearable. Also if you like cleaning restrooms and vacuuming because they don't want to hire cleaning services, to much work for the pay. Harder workers get more work. You come and help out and the next day its like it never even happened. Highly untrained staff which was my reason and 9 other associates reason for leaving in a 2 month span. My co workers and the customers were the only reason I stayed as long as I did. Management calling corporate on other stores employees for doing things once that there horrible customers do on a daily because its to keep them happy and they won't get a complaint sent to corporate. Management team was disgusting.
Pros
Co workers, Customers, Discount
Cons
Managment, untrained staff, everything else
A fast paced and highly productive work place
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 24, 2015
Like any customer service job, every day held a new experience to learn from. Walking in with basic sales floor experience, here I learned about stock and inventory management, store organization and procedures from store to regional management, and leadership skills over newer staff and floor management when store managers were called off the floor for great lengths of time. The best part is that we all were able to count on each other when given a task and have it finished to the associates and mangers best ability.
very strict & focused on getting sign-ups
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MissouriDecember 18, 2015
pretty cool work environment, but kinda strict on customer sign-ups. if you're working the registers, you have to keep track of how many "no's" you get and can't get too many before you're in trouble!
Love this store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYDecember 14, 2015
Working at DSW I was able to learn about different styles when it came down to shoes and was able to make friends with some wonderful associates in the store
First job at Designershoes.com
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 10, 2015
It was a nice first job as I learned e-commerce and retail. Small group but definitely working together and getting their hands into multiple facets of the business.
Pros
Small team
Cons
Lack of resources
Great management, great learning opportunity
Sales Associate - Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 10, 2015
I absolutely loved working with my team in Montgomery, AL. We were all friendly and understandable. A typical day at work would be working the cash wrap and maintaining organization in clearance and out on the floor also assisting shelvers (customers) My co-workers were fun, friendly, and hard working, the hardest part of the job was if someone would try to take shoes without paying and we would have to stop them and they were being very un-cooperative and nasty towards sales associates, which would happen RARELY. But it was very enjoyable majority of the time. We would have friendly competitive games amongst the coworkers. Lots of fast-paced experience needed for the major holidays, around those days. All in all its an awesome place to work.
Pros
Discounts, flexibility
Cons
short-breaks
sometimes challenging but also fun and a great learning experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MADecember 10, 2015
DSW has taught me a lot more than I expected to learn working in retail. I've learned how to handle many different situations and tasks. The managers take their time to show us what needs to be done, how it needs to be done, and how much time we get to complete the task. My coworkers are extremely helpful and supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job is making customers happy.
Pros
new learning experiences
Retail and bust your tail.
Salesman, (Former Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHDecember 7, 2015
Good work environment, fast paced, and a lot of interaction with people. Only problem that I had was their lack of a concrete schedule. You would be marked for four hours, but they could have you stay longer. Depending on sales. Just too hard to plan when you have a family that relies on you to be there and keep involve in your families lives.
Pros
Great employee discounts.
Cons
Time Management and staffing issues by management
Everyday was fun-filled
Sales Associate/Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 7, 2015
There was never a dull moment when working at DSW. Each task given was presented in a fun/entertaining way to keep employees motivated. Each manager provided a different leading technique which enabled new and creative ideas.