DSW Inc. Employee Reviews

Not the best...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 3, 2017
No advancement opportunities. The culture was fun, but the pay was low and raises even lower. Managers expected to much work for the pay. And never offer worthy incentives to expect more. When you gave me you would not receive worthy compensation.
Great company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 1, 2017
Fast paced, continues to change and grow, peers are outstanding! Never a dull moment with DSW. The people in the company live the values and care about the associates.
Worst customers and worst area to work in (Canton)
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 29, 2017
Management is horrible managers don't want to work. They changed the discount back in may 2017 we used to get our discount off sale items but we don't anymore.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Always tired, always bothered
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 28, 2017
I only worked part time, but every shift I was always running around the store. Managers were always bothering us with something and everything had to be absolutely perfect, when it seemed like it had been done correctly the first time. Employee rewards policies weren't very rewarding. Being forced to wear aprons is annoying. The pay rate is nice, though, and duties of a representative at DSW are routine and easy to do. Top supervisors were a pain to work with, but assistant managers were awesome.
Stressful, Inconsistent Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 27, 2017
The work is typically easy but made stressful by the inconsistency of taking expired offers or not. This leads to unhappy customers getting upset with you and having to call for a manager far too often. This inconsistency spilled over into things such as dress code as well. Certain people were allowed to do things that others were not. The managers that remained at my store were uptight and condescending, which made going to work a burden in itself. Reward signups were another hassle.
Pros
Money
Cons
Stress
fast paced fun workplace
Trailer Loader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 26, 2017
DSW was fun and fast paced the workers were great and the management knew exactly what they were doing. the job was well organized and they never hesitated to show recognition to the workers for doing a good job. An overall good company to work for.
Changing culture
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesNovember 23, 2017
DSW used to be a great place to work where you felt valued as an employee and had a good work life balance.Everyone was expected to follow the company values and hard work was recognized. Now that is all gone, It is all about doing more with less and if you are salaried the store is your life. Upper management is the worse, their egos are so big they are ineffective and they don't care how much you have to work to meet the unrealistic work load as long as its done.
Pros
Good benefits and discount
Cons
payroll cuts, heavy work load
Easy enough job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Novi, MINovember 21, 2017
I was fired over being in the hospital, even though I did inform them that I was there and would be unable to call in everyday. My manager took a dislike to me for no discernible reason and never talked to me or gave an evaluation.
Fun part time
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 21, 2017
Daily tasks in the morning included picking and packing shoes for online orders, arranging new promotion and receiving new shipment of shoes/ store supplies.
Worst Job Ever
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 20, 2017
Worst Job Ever the manager was the worst and the fact that I was a minor at the time they would want me to stay past 1 am to work although they knew that it was not legal to do so.
Nice Management
Sales Associate/Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJNovember 20, 2017
Fast paced and customer orientated. Learn good customer service skills. Very friendly and understanding management, never had any problems when I was not able to make it to work.
Relaxed yet competitive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXNovember 17, 2017
A typical day would require basic customer service skills as the job itself would entail, but as it concerned the transitioning store, management was poor in this location at the time.

The company itself has decent room for growth under the right management.

The most enjoyable part of the job is be able to assist customers with their right shoe and fit, along with accessories.
Pros
heft employee discounts, breaks
Cons
no benefits for part timers, not enough knowledge about growth
Fast pace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morgan Hill, CANovember 17, 2017
Working at DSW was mostly fun. You are always on your feet and helping customers. I learned good time management skills and good customer service skills.
Fun Place to Work
Sales Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CANovember 16, 2017
Everyday is different!! You are moved through the store to different areas and helping different customers. Managers are always available to help!!!!!
Great company to work for with great people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXNovember 15, 2017
-Typical workday included working at the register, keeping sale floor organized, updating clearance section, completing online orders for customers, daily cleaning duties
-Learned how to work a register, valuable customer service skills, more knowledge on the different kinds of shoes
-Management was wonderful, very understanding and flexible with students, always willing to help
-Workplace culture was also great, co-workers always got along and would always support and help one another
-Hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers and having to get management involved
-Most enjoyable part was helping somebody find just the perfect pair of shoes for a certain outfit that they're so excited to wear
Pros
15 minute break with minimum of a 4 hr shift, 30 minute lunch break with 7+ hr shift
Cons
sometimes extremely slow paced
Dsw
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2017
Well dsw is more like if its your first job, getting out of high school or while still in high school, sometimes it can be stressful, but if you put the right work you can advance
Unproffesional
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Braintree, MANovember 15, 2017
They did not provide associates with enough hours. The managers do not recognize my contributions towards they company. Also I have worked here for 2 years and still find it hard to get hours.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Managment
Very friendly
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNNovember 14, 2017
You meet a lot of nice and mature people that become part of a little family. The managers were really helpful and awesome, not only would they give you work advice but life advice aswell.
Great people, but don’t expect hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILNovember 14, 2017
I loved the team I worked with and the job wasn’t terrible, however they cut hours drastically. It’s a good part time job but don’t expect to get a lot of hours.
Pros
Good pay, friendly coworkers
Cons
Cut hours
It was fun while it lasted
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2017
When I first started DSW I was a part timer, and when my school situation changed I moved up to full time. So I was there for more than 20 hours. The Pros: DSW has an app where you can post and pick up shifts but they had to be approved by a maneger. That was one cool thing, PTO is available depending on what maneger feels like giving to you. Your co workers become family to you. And I honestly enjoyed working there because of the fun times I had. The Cons: The rewards program. They stress there employees out like crazy to get rewards from people. They dont understand that some customers just want to shop and not have associates in there faces asking them to sign up for rewards
Pros
Co workers, flexibility
Cons
They stress you to get rewards

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSW Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.