DTE Energy

DTE Energy Employer Reviews

Stable company.
Production Team Operating Engineer (Current Employee), Tuscola, ILAugust 11, 2014
DTE Energy is a stable company with good management. There is a good bunch of co-workers at this site which makes work more enjoyable. They have problems with high turnover among the staff which creates excessive amounts of overtime.
Great place if you like big companies
Engineer (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 6, 2014
Great people. Sometimes can be overwhelming with the amount of people in and out everyday. Moving internally doesn't seem to be a big issue, which is great. Overall, good place to work.
Productive and fun workplace with awesome people
Leak Survey Intern (Former Employee), Muskegon, MIJuly 28, 2014
Pros: coworkers were great
Cons: no air conditioning, long training
I was responsible for checking for gas leaks in mains and services. Everything I did, I had to learn and be trained for. Driving the big company vehicles and operating the machinery for the gas detection and even organizing the shop took some practice but everyone in charge was so patient and helpful and my coworkers became some of my best friend. The – more... hardest part of the job was the beginning training since everything was so new but the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to spend so much time with my coworkers. – less
Productive place to work at.
Student Intern (Former Employee), Melvindale, MIJuly 23, 2014
Pros: good salary
Cons: n/a
Very productive place to work at and many areas to move higher up.
Great stable place to work
Project Manager - Construction (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 8, 2014
Pros: great benefits, employee engagement, flexibility, allowed to do what i do best everyday
Cons: no clear career paths. one has to apply for new positions and move around, sometimes across organizations, to advance their career
I've been at DTE Energy for 13 years and have watched the culture change for the better over the years. The group I currently work in is a project management group which manages most of the capital porojects for the company. This group allows a person to bring their best energy to work everyday. I know what is expected of me every day and my work/schedule – more... is self directed.
There are standards and processes that must be adhered to in order to maintain project managment maturity. There is a great balance between work like and home life. Group outings for team building and community service are encouraged.
The downfall is upward mobility. There seems to be inconsistent promotion practices across organizations. It is often unclear what one has to do to move up and sometimes people with great personalities are promoted without the competencies to fullfil their respective positions.
Overall I enjoy what I do and hope to advance my career to a higher leadership level. – less
Very good work place
Senior Oracle Developer (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 2, 2014
This is one of the best company I have ever worked with. People are very good. Work is very challenging and I enjoyed it.
Would be perfect if the pay was better
Teller and Receptionist (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 8, 2014
Pros: hour lunches, friendly management and coworkers, convenient location
Cons: contract position, so no benefits and low pay
Balancing our cash drawer, processing customer's payment to their accounts
A Great CO-OP experience
Deployment Technician (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 2, 2014
Pros: great place to work
Cons: hard to get a direct hire position
This experience allowed me exposure to a vast amount of experiences. From face to face interactions and increasing my troubleshooting skills.
Very good learning expirence
EO Residential Business/Marketing Student Co-Op (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJune 2, 2014
Pros: i was able to get a real hands on expirence
Cons: n/a
I conducted a penetration study for one of the programs in the residential energy optimization department.
PRODUCTIVE WORKING CONDITIONS - A FUN PLACE TO WORK
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJune 1, 2014
Pros: celebrating birthdays - and holidays - doing volunteer work
Cons: micro managers
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK IS THE ENJOYMENT OF MY CO-WORKERS AND MY MANAGERS. ITS LIKE MY SECOND HOME AWAY FROM HOME. WORKING TO MAKE SURE THAT I AM GIVING THE COMPANY MY BEST AND MAKING SURE THAT THE CUSTOMERS LEAVE AWAY HAPPY. WHEN MY HUSBAND PASSED ON 2/1/2014 - I COULD FEEL ALL THE LOVE AND COULD FEEL IN MY HEART THAT THEY REALLY CARED. I LOVE THE PEOPLE – more... THAT I WORK WITH FROM CO-WORKERS, SUPERVISORS, AND MANAGERS. – less
DTE is a great company to work for
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 20, 2014
DTE offered me the opportunity to learn and grow for 13 years. It is a family friendly company
Meter Reading
Meter Reader (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 7, 2014
Typical day involves much walking. Must prepared to fight dogs and deal with angry customers. Only hard part is gas because you use your own vehicle and weather changes.
BOILER TUBE FAILURE CO-OP (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 22, 2014
Great place to work. Very loyal to their – more... employees. – less
Decent Pay - No Mobility - Horrible Work/Life Balance
Principal Engineer (Current Employee), Newport, MIApril 21, 2014
Pros: job stability, decent pay and 401k, good benefits
Cons: the work life balance is: work = life (a perfect balance!). low mobility inside nuclear generation.
This was my first job after finishing college. It's a good job for gaining experience as an engineer in the nuclear power (or power generation) industry. It's a good job if you like maintaining 50+ year old technology, or if you like doing the same thing over and over again. The pay is decent. However, as far as engineering goes, most of the engineers – more... are glorified clerks that interface with vendor experts. If you want to do real engineering work, then you must present a business case why you should learn/do something that would benefit the company.

Unfortunately, the work/life balance is tied to keeping the plant running, which has been an incredible challenge in the last few years due to aging infrastructure, poor management of labor resources, and lack of knowledge retention. Be prepared to work challenging refuel outage schedules such as 13+ hour days/nights with no days off for 2+ months, repeated every 18 months.

If you're more interested in research, product development, or anything with the smallest bit of entrepreneurialism, then this is not the job for you.

If you don't like rotating schedules, 13+ hour days/nights, or unanticipated schedule changes (I have been called in on several vacations/holidays), then this is not the job for you.

If you value career mobility, then this is not the job for you (this only applies to the nuclear engineering side of DTE).

If you like 80s work culture, bad (but funny) work politcs, and like ancient technology (including IT), then this is the place for you! – less
Excellent work experience
Customer Credit Representative (Former Employee), Southfield, MI.April 14, 2014
Everyday was quite the experience. I loved the environment. Fast pace, professional, and fun. I learned everything about customer service, collections, and billing. Even trouble shooting. My co-workers were like family. The hardest part was leaving. The most enjoyable part was the experience.
Great company to work for
Safety and Industrial Hygiene Supervisor (Former Employee), Detroit, MIApril 10, 2014
Pros: advancement, industry leader
Cons: strong union
Corporate Safety was a leader in the Business Units, lead, guide and directed the business units and facilities to Federal and State Standards. I managed 8 other Safety Professionals in the Fossil Fuel Fleet, Corporate Training and Engineering. The hardest part of the day was day to day operation as to balance between the facility and corporate functions. – more... I enjoyed my job and wish I didn't leave to pursue my next job opportunity. – less
ok
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Southfield, MIMarch 31, 2014
Overall decent place to work, great place to start entry level.
DTE energy is a very easy place to work
Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Coldwater, MIFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: bonus pay
Cons: long hours, short breaks, never being able to talk to the main boss of the company
A typical day at DTE Energy was very interesting. You have your own cubicle to take calls and handle some not so fun situations. I learned to take what everyone says into consideration and try your very best to keep the caller on the other end of the line happy. The managers were very rude. My co-workers were always very focused on their jobs and they – more... didn't pay much attention to anything else. The hardest part of the job was when you couldn't help people get their gas or electric turned back on and they had children or when it was close to the holidays. The best part of my job was when I had customers tell me how nice and sweet I was or that they appreciated everything I had done for them. – less
executive asst
Executive Asst (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 7, 2014
awesome employer to work for and strive on continuous improvement with their co worker and excellent employer to work for ...I was temporary employee with Bartech.
Access Admin Co-Op (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJanuary 14, 2014
I really learned a lot
What I learned is different types of applications, assistance in Remote Access, Team Management.

1 2 3 4 5

About DTE Energy

Detroit's economy may be lackluster, but¬†DTE Energy still provides a reliable spark. The holding company's main subsidiary, Detroit – Read more