DTE Energy Employee Reviews

Great place for a young person to start their career
COMMERCIAL CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 12, 2017
The work is repetitive and mundane. It can be very stressful at times.
The day starts at about 8:00 in the call center, taking back to back high stress and complaint calls are the norm. I have learned the ins and outs of gas and electric policy on a state level, I have become very knowledgeable in gas and electric operations. Management doesn't follow up on new policies or procedures very well so its important to be a self starter and do your own research. The culture of the company is a far cry from what is being applied or implemented. the hardest part of my job is being able to help the customer when the system is incapable of giving the correct information, and when different departments that are important to my job are unwilling to help. The most enjoyable part of my job isbeing with my coworkers!
Good company but stuck in a rut
MEP Continuous Improvement Co-Op (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 10, 2017
DTE is trying to become a competitive company but the culture is resistant to change at every level. People don't want to become a long term company, they're focused on getting out or making the most money for the least amount of work. The business units refuse to work together and act like they're out to get each other.

The company has a lot of opportunities but people need to stop thinking in "me" and start thinking in "us".
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
In Fighting
Cut throat work place with no raises
Billing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIDecember 8, 2017
This job is not for anyone with children. They lie to get you to work for them and then never do anything that was offered in your interview. They never gave me my raise.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Short breaks and NO RAISES
A good place for a career
Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 7, 2017
A good company to work for. The nature of the job swings from a relaxing day to very stressful.

I learned the utility industry and it's importance to our community.

The hardest part of the job was working a rotating shift.

Knowing that our customers were getting the best product available.
Pros
good pay
Cons
swing shift
Contractor
General Office Clerk (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 7, 2017
Worked as a contractor - everyone was nice to work with.
They showed you the job and taught you stuff like you were a real employee.
If called back I would go in a heartbeat.
An Excellent Workplace for a Young Engineer
Engineering Co-op (Term 3/3) (Former Employee) –  Trenton, MIDecember 3, 2017
DTE Energy has been a wonderful company to work for for the past year. As an engineering co-op I had the ability to pursue experience across a variety of different departments. I truly believe there is a fit for everyone within the company, and have mobility across functional groups.
Positivity, fun activities, learning experience
Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 26, 2017
Great place to work everyone is willing to help you reach the next level. You never are counted out any events, your supervisors and colleagues are always cornered about your whereabouts. Great benefits & salary as well, just a great company to start a career with
Pros
Free lunch, Paid bus passes, transportation to work there. & back.
Major subconscious bias evident
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 26, 2017
HR is ineffective as an employee resource for just about anything excluding legal liabilities.
70-80% of management seem to be effective leaders, however, I never personally experienced effective leadership - only the illusion. There was a lot of "passing the buck."
Pay is only good if you negotiate very well - know your worth prove your value beyond their ineffective "goals" evaluations. Be clear on how bonuses are cut (they're based on your boss's feelings).
If you take a position to "get your foot in the door", you're basically stuck there until the business entity needs manpower in some other lateral position.
Pros
Office location is close to local attractions, paid parking near by, mostly respectful coworkers, job security, benefits are reasonable, upper management staff is slowly aging out for retirement.
Cons
Many older staff members seem to be stuck in very old fashioned mindset, "checking boxes" seems to be more important than job performance for compensation and promotions, HR brushes off responsibilities unless there is legal liability involved.
Productive fun place to work with real focus on Personal and Customer Safety
Project Lead - Operating System (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 15, 2017
Worked 8-10 hrs a day or sometimes more if necessary to restore systems and customers
learned about how to be a professional on and off the job and how to best serve the internal and external customers safely
management style was collaborative and culture was to make sure the job got done safely and the first time with a real focus on the customer and the community safety
hardest part of the job working storms safely with really poor weather conditions and some rough neighbor hoods
working with a great team with a real focus on getting the job done well, first time, timely with a real focus on safety.
Working with a team of professionals while getting receiving great pay and benefits. Thus I was able to provide for my family.
Pros
Good Pay and benefits
Station Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 12, 2017
Excellent company to work for; the work hours were good as well as the benefits. I enjoyed working with DTE.the management staff was great. The hardest part of my job was having to leave the company.And the most enjoyable part of my job was customer service and meeting the customer needs.
Great Place to work
Power Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Monroe, MINovember 9, 2017
Work days are typically 12 hour shifts as a power plant operator. Compensation is a little above industry standard but on a pay progression schedule. This is a great learning experience and has plenty of room for advancement.
DTE Energy
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MichiganNovember 5, 2017
DTE Energy Customer Care strengths include union and non-union positions, an absolute commitment to safety, competitive benefits, a fast paced highly technical workplace, Continuous Improvement environment, and opportunities with other organizations tied to DTE throughout more than half of the states. Weaknesses include bottom quartile entry pay, no career development programs whatsoever (you are TOTALLY on your own), thousands of defects in new SAP computer systems, inaccurate, untimely, and conflicting corporate communications and policy, extremely poor new hire and continuous employee training (at best DTE teaches employees what their systems are/do, not how to use them for maximum effect), managerial narcissism, and an internal culture of "it is what it is". Generally, the overriding culture of DTE is not how do we make it better or problem solving, but "did we check all the boxes"? If we did our role, and there is still a problem, that is someone else's responsibility. We're covered.
Pros
Employees with legitimate family or medical needs are generally treated well, however, tons of bureaucracy and nowhere to go for correct, honest straight answers
Cons
You are on call 24/7/365
Plenty of opportunities
Polyphase Watt-hour Meter Accuracy Tester (Former Employee) –  Melvindale, MINovember 3, 2017
Great advancements inside the company. During the Detroit Edison years and the merger DTE Energy years. I was fortunate to be part several committes that challenge me each day
Great company, bad site
Senior Nuclear Operations Instructor (Current Employee) –  Newport, MINovember 2, 2017
DTE Energy is a great company to work for. However, their business strategies are not applied at their Fermi 2 site location. Fermi is a local dead end for any employees who don't fit their typical mold.
DTE - Great Detroit Company & Community Partner
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 30, 2017
DTE has a great focus on being an involved partner in rebuilding Detroit and offering employees great ammenities. The downtown office has great fitness facilities, a health clinic, and large cafeteria. DTE just built a new park next door to the office.

Depending on the group, work schedules can be flexible. Also depending on the group, work ethic can vary & urgency is not always taken letting some lower priority tasks fall through the cracks. Especially at field sites and plants, who you know can affect how easy it is to get things done.

They are trying to rejuvinate the workplace by catering to a younger employee with things like food trucks, renovated offices, and a more flexible dress code. This is still a conservative industry and those things will take a long time to catch on if at all - young people who work here and elseware in the industry are not necessarily looking to work in a startup-like environment.
Web Application Developer Co-op (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 27, 2017
Good place to work. No comments. Perfect management and excellent benefits. I would recommend working for DTE Energy. It was a valuable 6 years of experience.
Productive and Calm workplace
Intern (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 16, 2017
My job revolved mainly around consolidating metrics for the company.
keeping track of metrics like quality, cost, delivery and safety just like every major corporate company.
Great workplace culture, very friendly and helpful coworkers.
A lot of room for advancement if you are starting your career
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 11, 2017
Very good people loved all my cowworkers and a good company to work for care about employee safety and health. And always helping the employees to advance in their career.
Wants to be the best energy company in the U.S.
Temporary Employee- Engineering (Current Employee) –  Newport, MIOctober 11, 2017
Always striving to be better than everyone in the industry, concerned with safety as its #1 priority for all workers, continuously improving workplace environment and workers health.
Coal
Power Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 9, 2017
Coal is going away and I was not letting someone determine my future! I loved my job and pay but was worried about all the plants that we were closing down.
Pros
everything but the coal going away
Cons
coal