DTLR, INC Employee Reviews

Not what it seems to be
Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 19, 2016
DTLR on the outside looking in would be a great job..even ideal. But once you start its not what its cracked up to be. The Job Culture is the best thing about it. If you love the hip hop and sneaker culture. But management is unbalanced causing confusion in the expectations that they need from you. Tha pay is not worth the work and time you put in. This job could be very stressful as a manager. A lot is required of you in short periods of time with little help. But they are very good in the community helping out with lots of community service activities.
Productive workplace with great people.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJune 28, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of greeting customers, meet/determine customers needs, suggest sales and sensor all incoming apparels. I learned there's a certain way to approach customers and there's certain questions you ask and don't ask customers. Management were great, I couldn't ask for better managers, co-workers were great as well. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a complicated customer that didnt know what they want or what they like,so we end up spending about an hour walking the store to find something that satisfied that particular customer. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all customers leave happy and satisfied, and most likely return to purchase again.
Pros
Great envirnoment
Cons
paid under minimum wage
Went from wonderful to not so great
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAAugust 6, 2015
Fun place to work a few years ago. More critical than supportive upper management and a lot of politics involved. Otherwise I've learned a lot during my time with the company.

My co-workers were great. Everyone I've worked with I pretty much stay in touch with or stayed on good terms with. Yes, even the ones I had to let go from performance issues.

The hardest part of the job was not being able to take breaks during 12 hour shifts.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the people. Customers and co-workers were great and I liked volunteering for charity work for the company.
Pros
Great people, good environment, and decent benefits.
Cons
Lack of breaks for managers. Needed a better support system from upper management.
I agree with the other review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 19, 2015
Two years, no raise. And I was the top sales associate in terms of selling. How much you sell is kept track of although there is no commission based pay. They are completely flexible with school schedules. If all locations are anything like mine there will be a high turn over rate of employees the entire time you work there. Expect to have an attitude thrown in your direction should you choose to get a second job.
Horrible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  GAJune 30, 2016
Beginning of work experience is pretty cool, but upon working there for a month the rules they have stretch from not being able to work at other shoe stores because they believe its competition to also not be able to get the recent shoe releases and use discounts. Minimum wage even after a year and a half working and training others. Management does not give raises, but instead they would like to keep it for their bonuses.
Pros
N/A
Cons
short hours, hours vary each weak, minimum wage pay
sales Urban retail
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 27, 2016
Retail sales associates are usually the first persons a customer meet when enter in a store. They are expected to create and maintain a long-term relationship with the customers in order to achieve sales goals and represent the store in a positive manner while ensuring recurring business. They are also responsible for assisting customers with choices and help them locate them and provide information about the product in question.
Great Customer Service Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ferguson, MOJune 29, 2016
DTLR was a great part time job, the only downfall was there is not any room for advancement in the job and the lack of professionalism leaves you not wanting to do much outside your required expectation. Overall it was a comfortable environment at times it allowed me to help on other bills and priorities. I only left because I took a position with a company in my field.
Pros
goos staff members
Cons
poor management
the culture and meeting different celebrities
Shoe salesman/Shoe stocker (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 5, 2016
nice people to be around and stocking new shoe arrivals just being able to see different culture of people and there backrounds
Pros
meeting celebrities
Cons
the pay
Productive and fun vibe environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDJune 8, 2016
A typical day at work is stress free. I have learned necessary skills to assist my management team. All of my coworkers and staff members are friendly and show enthusiasm while working. The most difficult task is multitasking with multiple guests at the same time. The most enjoyable part of my job is witnessing customer satisfaction.
Pros
Stress free environment
Cons
Short breaks
Great Company to work for very fun and upbeat but no time for a personal life.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 6, 2015
There was a point when I really enjoyed working for DTLR they have a lot to offer as far as culture, giving back to the community. I had the chance of meeting many celebs, working in the store is also fun you really build great relationship with your customer base. The downside is as management your required to work minimum of 46-48 hours a week no weekends off (EVER) unless its approved holiday or vacation time, you have to work two 12hrs shifts a weeks which isn't that bad but your not allowed to leave the store for any reason if your the only member of management on duty. After a while the long hours really get to you there are no breaks even though required by law you should get one. Over all if you have no social life or children and love spending all of your time at work it just might be the job for you.
Pros
Meeting Celebrities, parties, community outreach, fashion
Cons
Long hours no breaks, No weekends off, Bouns structure sucks.
unfair work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 11, 2016
management was judgmental and never received enough hours to survive off of. most of the coworkers was family or close friends of the manager. the hardest part of the job was trying to prove yourself to the managers because they wold always try to find a reason to down you.
Fun fast pace job to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 9, 2016
I loved working at this job with everyone around me as well. If i had a chance to go back i would asap ! working at the mall you get to see what goes on daily always something interesting
Pros
discounts
Cons
hours
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 13, 2016
This is a fun place to work. Great for college students because they give you low hours and work with your schedule. You would get 15-20 hrs a week at the most! I wouldn't recommend this for anyone with any real bills or children unless worked as a side job. You don't make any real money. You get paid to volunteer and have opportunities to meet celebrities.
Pros
Fun, discount, easy
Cons
Low pay
Dtlr was a cool place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 8, 2016
Dtlr was a cool place to work. I liked it more so because, I was doing something i was interested in, which was selling sneakers. I did not receive benefits being as though i was part time but i thoroughly enjoyed my time working there.
Overworked Employees!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 22, 2016
DTLR is very unprofessional! The managers are always overworked due to the shortage in manager because no one wants to deal with the stress. Worst job!
Fun Place at times
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 1, 2016
If you have good people that you are working with in your store then it will be a awesome place to work. It is not a job where you have to do a lot of work it just becomes tedious at times. The cooperate office is very strict about a lot of things no shorts can be worn after August I believe. So you are wearing pants while it is still hot lol so get ready to cook do not lean on the wall or you will get sent home and always look like you are working or you will get sent home. There is a lot more to type Good and Bad but Overall it is a good company to work for just do your job and have fun.
Okay Job If You Like Retail.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 20, 2014
This can be a fun job but if you have any other aspirations it's not going to work for you. They are pretty good about working with school schedules and will schedule you for around 15 hours a week. Not much flexibility in getting more hours consistently. Find a second part-time job and some slight disdain is shown from management.

Work as hard as you want. If you don't brown-nose with the right people you won't see any advancement. Despite impeccable reviews. Politics just like anywhere else.

Three years. One raise.

Zero company culture. Which was probably the biggest deal breaker. Business model is great though because there is a never ending supply of high schoolers and college kids to whom the job seems to have a certain allure so the job is always coveted.

After making store manager or assistant manager, start looking for a new job. You may sit stagnant in one of those positions for years. Literally. The company is rapidly expanding so there are always new stores opening.
Pros
school flexibility, store discount, "cool job"
Cons
company culture, management, compensation
Fun Work Envorinment
Sales Associate/Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 26, 2016
Working here has been the best job I ever had. Although, the pay is min. wage while here it doesn't feel like your working!!!
good job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 23, 2016
in the beginning was an awesome job, but towards the end management changed and the company became unorganized. co works were always a great help
Not a good company to work for
general manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 5, 2016
The company does not take care of their employees. The company does not take care of the customer either. The health benefits are poor and the pay is not great, They pay associates minimum wage and only offer part time hours or less.