Duane Reade Employee Reviews in United States

it was a different experience
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 18, 2016
i cant say too many positive things about duane reade....my boss was very mean, my co workers and I weren't always treated well or felt welcomed in our work environment. Overall it was an experience I'll never forget.
Productive job and great room for advancement
Cashier/Drug Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 16, 2016
A typical day at work would include filling perscriptions and helping patients at the register with understanding their prescription. I also updade any profiles for patients that have a new insurance or changes have been made. I was able to learn a great deal about what goes on in the background in a pharmacy that I would not have learned if I was just a customer. My co-workers are very close and I have made many friends through work. Managers are very easy to talk to and are always willing to listen if there is a problem and come up with a fair solution.
Great atomopshere, good pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 14, 2016
When I would arrive to work earlier than my time to start I would be given the opportunity to start my shift early. A typical day was dealing with majority of friendly pleasant customers. The manager was always level headed and professional. The hardest part for me was sometimes reaching high places for items since I was pregnant at the time.
Pros
Pay. Shifts available. Discounts.
Cons
Short breaks.
not productive
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2016
It would be a great work place, but the managers look down on employees that are below them. The managers have no respect and play favoritism towards their race. Other than that; the work is very fun and interesting.
overnight
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 11, 2016
upper manager is great but depends on your manager location is great i had opporunity working in manahattan which has its highs and lows
Pros
manhattan
Cons
manager
fun and busy environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 29, 2016
I like it because there's something new and the same every day
variety and challenges
good culture
if proven to be a go getter, then you have a great opportunity to move up

the con is there are very little open positions at the corporate level and beyond store manager
Pros
great environment
Cons
not enough advancements beyond manager
Pharmacy Sales/Customer Service
Pharmacy Technician/Drug Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2016
the goal is to target objective customers such as senior citizens
what I learned is to "sell services"
management has great people, but the company as a whole does a poor job and doesn't value its employees
the hardest part is to fully ensure satisfaction upon a customer
the most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know new people every day
Cons
short breaks, not-so great benefits and unaffordable health care plan
Horrible company
Team Leader/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2016
Working at Duane Reade was something else, you have to work in different areas at a time and doing more than one person work. It is really stressful, I would not recommend it to no one. Management don't care about the employees.
Fast paced and productive with break room
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2016
A typical night at work was busy and fast paced. I learned that there are many different methods to use to help you stock at a fast pace. My management team always helped out on the isles that had the most merchandise. My fellow co workers were very outgoing and team players when it came to getting the job done. The hardest part of the job was trying to get everything stocked before the store opened to the public. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in Manhattan and learning about the different products an store can carry.
Pros
Free Lunch, Long breaks
Cons
hours, benefits
A Good Job Experience
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 25, 2016
Duane Reade is a good first time job to have since its sells almost everything. you get to learn about retail, makeup, different foods,u learn about the business itself as a whole. You get experience with the cashier and how to stock and load merchandise.
wtf
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2016
Lack of growth. No one says good job, it's all about what you do wrong. if you wan to do the job that works you to the bone and doesn't pay, this is the place for you.
Work day
Pharmacy Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2016
Duane reade was ok overall. The management was alittle out of order alot of times but as far as a regular work day it was ok and very busy
Cashier & Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2016
A typical day at Duane Reade is usually very busy. I learned to perfect on my punctuality skills. I worked alongside a friendly and helpful environment.
Greet every customer with a smile and inquire about store experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 12, 2016
Efficiently process customer payments by cash, debit, gift and credit card. Make sure cashier drawer is accurate before and after each shift.
Management doesn't work with the people.
Supervisor Omar (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYApril 9, 2016
Always busy, physically demanding. I learned how to multitask. Management needs to interact with staff and work together. The hardest part about the job is not having enough help. The most enjoyable part of the job was when i got promoted.
Not my favorite Job
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 9, 2016
This is not exactly the most exciting job or the most cleanly, but it got the job done. It was only a temporary thing anyway not exactly the best long term job, and the managers can sometimes give you the cold shoulder. So don't look for compassion around these parts, your about important as the name tag around your neck.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Horrific Employers and Customers
Drug Clerk
Drug Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
I work in Duane Reade Pharmacy, where i tend to the customer at the register and for advice. While working in the pharmacy I learned how to keep track of all ready status prescriptions, count out the pills, type prescriptions into the data base, enter in patient information (name,address,insurance, etc) and filing. I kept everything organized, all patients information was secure. I entered a lot into the system, vaccinations, the on hand (quantity of merchandise), and receiving packages. I also handled the phone calls receiving and going. I made calls to patients keeping them aware of any problems or any ready pick ups. I made phone calls to doctors office if patients prescriptions hasn't came in yet or if it was missing anything. I made sure the work area was clean, the garbage was taken out and counters wiped down.
Cons
work ethic
Duane Reade Stock Person
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2016
Easy job. Primary focus is stocking, packing out shipment and cleaning tasks. Occasionally you are asked to ring up at the register.

Your schedule was relatively steady. Frequent changes in shift supervisors, assistant managers and store managers.

You are automatically part of a union that gets proceeds directly from your check. However, you only get minimum wage.
productive and busty long hours
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2016
A typical day will keep you busy. most of the time you will be under staff. i learn how to run a business and what it takes to run a store and be a leader. my most enjoyable moment was getting promoted from stock guy to shift leader.
Pros
variety of items to choose from
Cons
short break, poor healthcare
great people at duane reade
Cashier/Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 16, 2016
it was a great learning experience for me since it was my first real job. Met some great people there, it was a great work atmosphere.