Duane Reade

Duane Reade Employer Reviews

customer service
Photo Technician/Cashier (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYFebruary 18, 2015
greet customers. explain photo packages. print and prepare photos. clean and maintain work area. troubleshoot printing equipment cashier.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Cons: short breaks and we were understaffed
The hardest part of this job was the coworkers. But i loved the customers and the enviroment. I just wished we had more staff on my shift.
Not the best people
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: people
Duane Reade is not for everyone. If you want a professional growth and being with well-rounded people, the place is not for you.
great customer service
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 11, 2015
Duane reade was my first job i learned a lot working there like how to provide great customer service. Duane reade also had some cons like a different work schedule every week.
duane reade
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 8, 2015
i learned how to manage money. coworkers seemed unmotivated. dealing with uncooperative customers. regular friendly costumer.
Productive and Exciting Work Environment
Category Manager (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYFebruary 6, 2015
It was great to work with amazing co-workers and amazing vendors. It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed doing it as everyone was always willing to work as a team to get the overall goal accomplished.
Great team work.
Cashier (Current Employee), brooklyn, new yorkFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: union job, over time, discount, great place to expand a carreer.
Cons: work weekends, work till late.
A typical day at work consist of me greeting customers, filling in-caps, and checking customers out at the register. I have learned to deal with extremely difficult situations, I learned to manage large group of staff members. My managers are great. Each and one of my manager show respect and keep a great work environment. They make sure everything flows smoothly at work on a daily basis and promote new and better opportunities at our field. The hardest part of my job is memorizing every sale item and special events.The most enjoyable part of my job is my co-workers they make my day go by so quickly and is never a dull moment. Even the customers are great every so often it can be a bit challenging but overall great job environment.
productive place
Cashier/Overnight Crew (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 4, 2015
this job was ok nothing really special about it work long hours till closing but great job overall great customers great workers store was always clean and ready for the customers
An opportunity to grow in the retail industry
Shift Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: exciting work environment
Cons: lack of benefits for shift managers
As a shift leader, you encounter many different responsibilities, that include dealing with customers, employees, and management. You have to be able to balance your time, and be able to assess your staff and what they can be depended on to do. I learned how to be a manager, how to advance in the retail industry, and how to be a creative thinker in regards to management styles. My manager was young and trying to advance to become a regional manager which gave me support to be driven to advance in retail. The hardest part of the job was having to count cash receipts at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help people on a daily basis.
Friendly Environment
Photo Technician, Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYJanuary 28, 2015
As my co-workers would say "Team work makes the dream work!"
Exciting, Energetic, Fast Paste
Front-End Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: great coustmers and great co workers.
Cons: do not expect everyone to work as a team.
Working at Duane Reade was a great experience. It was always great customers and helping out in the pharmacy was cool. I learned that you would always have some good and some bad days working at Duane Reade but you cant let the bad days get to you, try your hardest not to get to friendly with your store manager.
Not a fun place to work
Stock Clerk / Cashier (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at work is stocking shelves,cashier,great customer service and cleaning the store at closing.

Employees are treated unfairly,promotions are based on favoritism (friends and family) and there is no room for growth.

The hardest part of this job is handling large shipments and still providing great customer service.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new interesting
This job isnt a job for someone with personality, like myself
Pharmacy Cashier/Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Cons: short breaks . boss was always upset. neg vide
Everyday is hard work little pay to no respect at all. Out of the 2 years of working there not once I have receive a thank you.
Busy Busy Busy
Service Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 19, 2015
Duane Reade was always busy but nothing seemed to get done really. If you are not able to multi-task , its purposeless to work here. Typical days include, stocking, communication with customers, cleaning and cashier work. What I've learned here is simply to take charge and to take up for your own wrong doing. The management is cool except for some but they have a reason for being that stern. The coworkers and very friendly. They understand and they treat you like equals more than anything. The hardest thing about work is stocking because its really repetitive and you feel like what your doing is in vain. The most enjoyable part of the job its the people you encounter day in and day out.
Average Employer, Nothing Spectacular
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: overtime
Cons: no diversity in tasks
A typical day as a manager, you would be responsible for the day-to-day running of a store, motivating staff to achieve sales targets, organizing promotional displays and monitoring industry trends. In addition review previous performance; identify & resolve any issues; work with team to achieve targets;complete any training/communication activities; review standards of work and ensure store is ready for customers; take accountability for 'safe & OSHA Compliant store."
professional but fun place to work
stock manager (Former Employee), New york, NYJanuary 9, 2015
Heavy lifting is a daily part of the work. As the team leader, i was able to relay my colleagues demands freely and most of them were listenned to.

Duane reade wharehouse is Multicultural place where you can learn a lot about other nationalities and their cultures.
challenging
Employee relations (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYJanuary 5, 2015
I learned a lot at this job, within two months of working with this company I was promoted to a shift supervisor, I got to work very closely with a lot of important people, I learned so much as a part of management that I now apply those very lessons to my personal life, customers are always right and that extra mile may make someone's day. There's always something to learned and always something to do, don't over work yourself, much rather ask for help that's what teams are for..
productive place and fast paced program
Team Member (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
a typical day at work was answering the phone and dealing with other co-workers. i learned how to file and hold calls at heavy volumes. i faxed and filed papers respect co-workers the hardest part of the job was going and the most enjoyable was leaving.
Worst Company All Around
General Clerk/ Bartender (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: no pros
Cons: no comunication, no team work, no free bagels/ donuts, no real benefits, no promotions after such a huge some of time passes even with exeptional work being done, and no appreciation.
A typical day at work is clocking in focusing on cash registers ringing customers up with a welcoming attitude, sweeping and mopping the floors when need be, collecting trash and throwing it out, throwing out old bagels and donuts, Returning put backs to they're rightful locations, pulling products up to organized visibility, and restocking recieved goods.

Alot ive learned alot from working with this store for many years beginning with then was a very pleasant experience at first but after a year or 2 when changes were being made and new management the moment new faces came in and wrote me up i degraded into a bad employee after time passed.

My coworkers are pretty chill some that make sense some that make absolutely no sense.

the hardest part of the job is finding things to do when current task are complete or else supervisors will push to have you do something even though you dont know what else you can do.

the most enjoyable experience is the customers.
Too many working hours!
Sales Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: too many working hours for managers!
Company requires managers to work 60+ hours and only pays them for 40 hours. A very unsatisfactory company to work for.

1 2 3 4 5

About Duane Reade

Duane Reade -- the Big Apple of drugstores -- has been swallowed by a big fish: Walgreen. Named after the two streets where its – Read more