Duane Reade

Duane Reade Employee Reviews

Productive but not as comfortable
Cashier/ Stock (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 14, 2015
Pros: no micro management
Cons: the night dragged
Wasn't the greatest but it work out while I went to school. There were many night I found my dragging to get through the night
Nice environment
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 10, 2015
Working here was fast paced especially during rush hour. I never imagined people wanting soup in the summer but I definitely learned I was wrong about that. Management was great at first until it came time to prove a point.
Productive and customer friendly atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good culture, friendly and interactive atmosphere
Cons: short of staff, aggressive customers, low salary rate
A typical day at work would be one of greeting every customers using the company's branded salutations. My experience in customer service have been a great success in the past couple of months as I have been complimented by both my managers and customers for doing a great job. I have learned how to manage cash effectively and also how to make transactions regardless of the method of payment effectively and efficiently. The hardest part of my job is satisfying a difficult and angry customer. I love what i do because a may be the one that can make someone day, put a smile on their face and to just make a difference in their day no matter how little of an influence it may be.
Retail Management PLUS
Manager - Photolab Technical Support & Training (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: compensation and incentive
Cons: high stress and high demand environment
Duane Read (eventually a Walgreen's company) is a staple in and around the Metro New York City area. Anyone who lives and often visits NYC has either been to or seen a DR store.

The work day was long and hard. Commute time were unpredictable at times and made for stress. The fast paced world of NYC was exciting yet taxing.

I enjoyed the time in the field and the office culture was as fast paced as the store locations. Many challenges were faced in those times (9/11, economic down-turn, etc.) but all in all it was a reentry into the retail segment and I found it rewarding and enriching.
customer service
Photo Technician/Cashier (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYFebruary 18, 2015
greet customers. explain photo packages. print and prepare photos. clean and maintain work area. troubleshoot printing equipment cashier.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Cons: short breaks and we were understaffed
The hardest part of this job was the coworkers. But i loved the customers and the enviroment. I just wished we had more staff on my shift.
Not the best people
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: people
Duane Reade is not for everyone. If you want a professional growth and being with well-rounded people, the place is not for you.
great customer service
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 11, 2015
Duane reade was my first job i learned a lot working there like how to provide great customer service. Duane reade also had some cons like a different work schedule every week.
duane reade
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 8, 2015
i learned how to manage money. coworkers seemed unmotivated. dealing with uncooperative customers. regular friendly costumer.
Productive and Exciting Work Environment
Category Manager (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYFebruary 6, 2015
It was great to work with amazing co-workers and amazing vendors. It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed doing it as everyone was always willing to work as a team to get the overall goal accomplished.
Great team work.
Cashier (Current Employee), brooklyn, new yorkFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: union job, over time, discount, great place to expand a carreer.
Cons: work weekends, work till late.
A typical day at work consist of me greeting customers, filling in-caps, and checking customers out at the register. I have learned to deal with extremely difficult situations, I learned to manage large group of staff members. My managers are great. Each and one of my manager show respect and keep a great work environment. They make sure everything flows smoothly at work on a daily basis and promote new and better opportunities at our field. The hardest part of my job is memorizing every sale item and special events.The most enjoyable part of my job is my co-workers they make my day go by so quickly and is never a dull moment. Even the customers are great every so often it can be a bit challenging but overall great job environment.
productive place
Cashier/Overnight Crew (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 4, 2015
this job was ok nothing really special about it work long hours till closing but great job overall great customers great workers store was always clean and ready for the customers
An opportunity to grow in the retail industry
Shift Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: exciting work environment
Cons: lack of benefits for shift managers
As a shift leader, you encounter many different responsibilities, that include dealing with customers, employees, and management. You have to be able to balance your time, and be able to assess your staff and what they can be depended on to do. I learned how to be a manager, how to advance in the retail industry, and how to be a creative thinker in regards to management styles. My manager was young and trying to advance to become a regional manager which gave me support to be driven to advance in retail. The hardest part of the job was having to count cash receipts at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help people on a daily basis.
Friendly Environment
Photo Technician, Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYJanuary 28, 2015
As my co-workers would say "Team work makes the dream work!"
Exciting, Energetic, Fast Paste
Front-End Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: great coustmers and great co workers.
Cons: do not expect everyone to work as a team.
Working at Duane Reade was a great experience. It was always great customers and helping out in the pharmacy was cool. I learned that you would always have some good and some bad days working at Duane Reade but you cant let the bad days get to you, try your hardest not to get to friendly with your store manager.
Not a fun place to work
Stock Clerk / Cashier (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at work is stocking shelves,cashier,great customer service and cleaning the store at closing.

Employees are treated unfairly,promotions are based on favoritism (friends and family) and there is no room for growth.

The hardest part of this job is handling large shipments and still providing great customer service.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new interesting
This job isnt a job for someone with personality, like myself
Pharmacy Cashier/Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Cons: short breaks . boss was always upset. neg vide
Everyday is hard work little pay to no respect at all. Out of the 2 years of working there not once I have receive a thank you.
Busy Busy Busy
Service Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 19, 2015
Duane Reade was always busy but nothing seemed to get done really. If you are not able to multi-task , its purposeless to work here. Typical days include, stocking, communication with customers, cleaning and cashier work. What I've learned here is simply to take charge and to take up for your own wrong doing. The management is cool except for some but they have a reason for being that stern. The coworkers and very friendly. They understand and they treat you like equals more than anything. The hardest thing about work is stocking because its really repetitive and you feel like what your doing is in vain. The most enjoyable part of the job its the people you encounter day in and day out.
Average Employer, Nothing Spectacular
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: overtime
Cons: no diversity in tasks
A typical day as a manager, you would be responsible for the day-to-day running of a store, motivating staff to achieve sales targets, organizing promotional displays and monitoring industry trends. In addition review previous performance; identify & resolve any issues; work with team to achieve targets;complete any training/communication activities; review standards of work and ensure store is ready for customers; take accountability for 'safe & OSHA Compliant store."
professional but fun place to work
stock manager (Former Employee), New york, NYJanuary 9, 2015
Heavy lifting is a daily part of the work. As the team leader, i was able to relay my colleagues demands freely and most of them were listenned to.

Duane reade wharehouse is Multicultural place where you can learn a lot about other nationalities and their cultures.

About Duane Reade

Duane Reade -- the Big Apple of drugstores -- has been swallowed by a big fish: Walgreen. Named after the two streets where its – Read more

Duane Reade Salaries