Duane Reade Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible company
Team Leader/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2016
Working at Duane Reade was something else, you have to work in different areas at a time and doing more than one person work. It is really stressful, I would not recommend it to no one. Management don't care about the employees.
Fast paced and productive with break room
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2016
A typical night at work was busy and fast paced. I learned that there are many different methods to use to help you stock at a fast pace. My management team always helped out on the isles that had the most merchandise. My fellow co workers were very outgoing and team players when it came to getting the job done. The hardest part of the job was trying to get everything stocked before the store opened to the public. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in Manhattan and learning about the different products an store can carry.
Pros
Free Lunch, Long breaks
Cons
hours, benefits
A Good Job Experience
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 25, 2016
Duane Reade is a good first time job to have since its sells almost everything. you get to learn about retail, makeup, different foods,u learn about the business itself as a whole. You get experience with the cashier and how to stock and load merchandise.
wtf
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2016
Lack of growth. No one says good job, it's all about what you do wrong. if you wan to do the job that works you to the bone and doesn't pay, this is the place for you.
Work day
Pharmacy Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2016
Duane reade was ok overall. The management was alittle out of order alot of times but as far as a regular work day it was ok and very busy
Cashier & Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2016
A typical day at Duane Reade is usually very busy. I learned to perfect on my punctuality skills. I worked alongside a friendly and helpful environment.
Greet every customer with a smile and inquire about store experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 12, 2016
Efficiently process customer payments by cash, debit, gift and credit card. Make sure cashier drawer is accurate before and after each shift.
Management doesn't work with the people.
Supervisor Omar (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYApril 9, 2016
Always busy, physically demanding. I learned how to multitask. Management needs to interact with staff and work together. The hardest part about the job is not having enough help. The most enjoyable part of the job was when i got promoted.
Not my favorite Job
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 9, 2016
This is not exactly the most exciting job or the most cleanly, but it got the job done. It was only a temporary thing anyway not exactly the best long term job, and the managers can sometimes give you the cold shoulder. So don't look for compassion around these parts, your about important as the name tag around your neck.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Horrific Employers and Customers
Drug Clerk
Drug Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
I work in Duane Reade Pharmacy, where i tend to the customer at the register and for advice. While working in the pharmacy I learned how to keep track of all ready status prescriptions, count out the pills, type prescriptions into the data base, enter in patient information (name,address,insurance, etc) and filing. I kept everything organized, all patients information was secure. I entered a lot into the system, vaccinations, the on hand (quantity of merchandise), and receiving packages. I also handled the phone calls receiving and going. I made calls to patients keeping them aware of any problems or any ready pick ups. I made phone calls to doctors office if patients prescriptions hasn't came in yet or if it was missing anything. I made sure the work area was clean, the garbage was taken out and counters wiped down.
Cons
work ethic
Duane Reade Stock Person
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2016
Easy job. Primary focus is stocking, packing out shipment and cleaning tasks. Occasionally you are asked to ring up at the register.

Your schedule was relatively steady. Frequent changes in shift supervisors, assistant managers and store managers.

You are automatically part of a union that gets proceeds directly from your check. However, you only get minimum wage.
productive and busty long hours
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2016
A typical day will keep you busy. most of the time you will be under staff. i learn how to run a business and what it takes to run a store and be a leader. my most enjoyable moment was getting promoted from stock guy to shift leader.
Pros
variety of items to choose from
Cons
short break, poor healthcare
great people at duane reade
Cashier/Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 16, 2016
it was a great learning experience for me since it was my first real job. Met some great people there, it was a great work atmosphere.
An ok job but not enough to live.
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wall Street, NYMarch 16, 2016
Didn't like the job. The pay was garbage but you may get good hours depending on the location. Lunches were short. Bad management and low morale of staff in general.
Pros
None to speak of really. Maybe the hours to make up for the pay.
Cons
overall job. management. pay. etc.
Not a suitable place for work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2016
There is a racism in management level. They don't like Asian people and especially Muslim no matter how hard they work. They favor their own country people. Their is no appreciation, no career development, no job security, always creating mentally and physically pressure and stress.
bad
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2016
lack of good management. work for this company was horrible the mangers did not like doing there jobs and were very disrespectful towards there employees.
Pros
union
Cons
pay
It has its fun times.
Photo Technician/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 11, 2016
I had some of the best co workers. The job itself wasn't hard at all it was just the long hours that was the overkill. I usually was on the register and bring the truck in.
Pros
Great co workers.
Cons
Decent Place to work if your just starting out in the work world.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2016
Its decent for someone who's below the poverty line.
However it does offer good discounts to employees.
Enough said right?
Pros
Decent Discount
Cons
of course pay
Great
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  661 west 42nd street, New York, New York 10036March 8, 2016
A great environment where you can grow and learn many different things. I love the fact that you get to meet many different people.
busy
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 5, 2016
typical busy day between the hours of 12 pm-7:30 pm
I learn new things everyday,such as customer service. you have to have an open mind to deal with different people each day. dealing with different customer has helped me grow in many ways. management isn't bad,depending on the person. my manager is very helpful and loves to teach me new things everyday when it comes office work. my co workers are like my family. I love them! there's no hard part in this job. very easy... most enjoyable part of the job is when we have potluck for the holidays.
Pros
good discount
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duane Reade. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9