Duane Reade

Duane Reade Employer Reviews

Good pay but management can be childish
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 23, 2014
Pros: pay, lot of hours
Cons: discount, management
I loved the pay I was getting but management and coworkers can be extremely unprofessional.
Hard work for little pay
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 23, 2014
A good first job, but not meant for anyone trying to have a career.
Fun workplace
Cashier, Stock & Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), Bayside, NYJune 21, 2014
Fun workplace with easy going staff. Work not back breaking so you can have a little fun while doing it.
i liked working there
Cashier (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 20, 2014
it was okay working there coworkers management was okay going on breaks and getting to know people
productive workplace with long hours
Customer Service (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 20, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: no breaks
its a good business but the managers are sometimes jerks, but if you want to make some money that will be hard to spend you should work here
lots of standing up and customer service
Pharmacist Assistant (Former Employee), queens, new yorkJune 19, 2014
This company gives you loads of work with little pay. it takes a while to get used to the groove and you have to answer to not only the pharmacist but to the managers as well which sometimes they rotate.
Stock person & Cashier (Former Employee), New york, NYJune 19, 2014
Pros: everyone helped each other out
Cons: management needs to learn how to speak to employees
Everyone treated each other like family.

We got the store ready and our hard work paid off.

The hardest part was having a manager try to speak to you about something they are not really experience with. Or when they need to give a disciplinary action they don't know how to approach you.
Duane reade is a time management company
associate/ Shift Leader (Current Employee), New York NYJune 16, 2014
A day at Duane Reade is full of multitasking and time management. i have learn how to maintain store sales. also management the company daily earnings The hardest part about my job is just keeping track of the time, But the most enjoyable part of the job is people the customers
If fun is what one is looking for, then this job is not it.
Assistant to the Store Manager (Current Employee), New York, NyJune 16, 2014
Pros: job security, health care
Cons: long hours
In charge of many employees, advising the employees about the company's objectives and goals. Have to multitask. In charge of a safe. Product placement.
ok job of immediate funds
stock/ sales (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 14, 2014
management wasn't great, but the customers and workers made working so easy and enjoyable
Duane reade is a horrible place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 12, 2014
Typical day at Duane Reade, You work real hard and you get paid so little. The manager makes you work hard for you 2 week pay
very outgoing
Fork Lift & Jack Operator (Current Employee), Maspeth, NYJune 11, 2014
a very fast past job, have to maintain a quota, teamwork always
Unlimited Satisfaction
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 8, 2014
A typical day at Duane Reade is satisfying our dedicated customers with their prescriptions and questions. To me achieving a smile and providing the best customer service to my customers is a successful day.
Retail straight up
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 2, 2014
Pros: the hours i work per week are consistent.
Cons: split days off, work holidays, weekends, unreliable staff.
I am learning the ins and outs of doing retail in NYC-my boss is patient and I also like the other assistant manager.
Serving customers
Cashier/ Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee), Rego Park, NYMay 28, 2014
Pros: great work environment
Cons: pay compensation
a day at work was busy yet enjoyable, lots of friendly customers and the work was simple.
fun place to work
Stock Associate (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMay 28, 2014
get to meet different people , help people find what they looking for
great company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 27, 2014
I liked the atmosphere. The staff members are helpful. I give them my highest recommendation.
Sometimes very stressful, corporate Walgreens has little to no understanding of what high volume retail in demanding Manhattan atmosphere.
Store Manager (Current Employee), 155 E. 34th St. NY,NY 10016May 19, 2014
When I first started working for Duane Reade in 2010, I came in as an Assistant Manager (before Walgreens fully took over the reigns). Things were much more cut and dry. Hard nose retailing was the name of the game and in busy Manhattan, some days can be challenging enough with the everyday grind from the enormous amount of demanding customers, relentless – more... shoplifters and retention issues among hourly team members. Let alone we are operating our businesses out of high rise buildings that are not stand alone with parking lots and drive thru windows; much like the ones you see at your neighborhood Walgreens. Therefore one can imagine the problems with facilities maintenance that occur almost daily causing overheads to skyrocket and occupancy costs that are mind blowing. For example my rent went up to $170,000.00 per month. If you think its hard to contribute to the bottom line, you are correct. However since Walgreens came in they decided to implement all of their key initiatives, and with that came an enormous amount of corporate Duane Reade jobs eliminated, and budget cuts for the Duane Reade stores. This equates to an enormous workload that is enforced on the store managers and they keep adding, adding and adding to our workload without the proper workforce to get it all completed on a day to day basis. However I must say I have figured out how to run a clean store that has impeccable in stock and store conditions are far better than your average drug store. My team members are also for the most part, very pleasant, well trained and have bought into the Walgreens culture that I have implemented for them to follow. And while Im not entirely angry and all the changes that were made and still being made, ( they are really great ideas and probably work at your typical Walgreens) but when you combine all of these key initiatives with the largest city in the United States where life in retail can't be compared to any other market, not everything adds up to be picture perfect like they imagine. Extreme multi-tasking is my forte and if I didn't possess this trait with excellence I would sink, but its been a trait that I have not always held as such. Thats what I have learned how to execute the most. Obviously much more about operating a business, but that is the key to success if you want to be a SM for Duane Reade. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I help the overall wellness of the people that depend on me, whether its my customers or my staff. I can leave work each day and honestly say I have made an impact on someone in a positive manner, no matter how frustrated I become with seemingly corporate greed. Obviously I have been honest about my feelings towards the company that I have dedicated 4 plus years to, I just don't know if I can continue to believe in everything that they are about. If I can't honestly say I am along for the ride and agree with them on a humanistic level then I do not want to continue and that is why I have an open mind about taking my career to the next level with a company that has core values that revolve around its employees. – less
What I learned
Stock Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 19, 2014
Only good thing is working overnight very peaceful less drama.
Duane reade
Cashier/Overnight Stocker (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 19, 2014
Come in on time work begins as soon as i clock in . Help Customers . Work with Coworkers to get task done as fast as possible . restock all items to shelves after unloading the truck . take out garbage on truck nights . clean and maintain store .

About Duane Reade

Duane Reade -- the Big Apple of drugstores -- has been swallowed by a big fish: Walgreen. Named after the two streets where its – Read more