Duane Reade

Duane Reade Employer Reviews

A comfortable and productive environment.
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYAugust 7, 2014
Pros: excellent customer service, lengthy breaks, friendly interaction.
Cons: low pay, unstable schedule, and pay is via every two weeks.
Working at duane reade was a gratifying experience, it allowed me to showcase how I conduct myself when providing customer service. The employees as well as the managers I worked with were friendly as well. Whenever I had a question to ask or a particular task I had little experience in, they were happy to obliged in providing me with the intructions – more... and showing me how a task should be done. What I enjoyed most about the job was the cashier position, I was able to interact with a multitude of personalities, and they to provided me with great intell regarding the company as well as the job positions.
It was also with this job I was able to meet a nice young lady that was smart, sophisticated, and beautiful. The hardest part about this job was stocking the items in each row, that match with the barcodes, that was very frustrating. – less
Close To Home
Child Care Worker (Current Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 6, 2014
Pros: working close to home and with good friends
Cons: this was also a temporary position.
I liked working at this location in the Bronx..I was working with my best friend and she was also my supervisor. This was a small location so we were very familiar with the customers.. I also lived in the area so I saw a lot of familiar faces.. The job itself was cool. I helped with inventory I was also the front end cashier..
Stay away from Duane Reade
Shift Leader (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 1, 2014
Pros: building contacts in the best financial district of the us and interacting with hot women all day
Cons: cut throat and hostile environment, asking questions is like insubordination, damned if you do and damned if you don't.
First of all upper management goes out of there way by using fear and intimidation to undermine any leadership initiates on behalf of lower management.

Senior managers treats their own employees ( ASM, SL) like stupid robots that can and will be replaced, and they will set you up for failure to be booted super quick if your a maverick employee threatening – more... complacency with your high performance standards.

I was promoted from stock guy to shift leader at 40 wall street ( a flagship store ) and I know from experience that is more hypocrisy and duplicitous behavior going on than most overachievers will put up with.

Desperate and just need a job, well don't take my word for it, go find out for yourself, if you dare... I'm getting out of there ASAP!!

There are small pockets of excellent people working there and they are definitely keeping that company alive but good luck finding them. – less
how to deal with customers
Cashier (Current Employee), Jersey City, NJJuly 31, 2014
i get to meet new people and personalities everyday.i like working here everybody is nice only thing is they do not pay the way they suppose to
A typical day at Duane Reade
General Clerk (Current Employee), 42-28 Main Street Flushing, NYJuly 31, 2014
Pros: somewhat of a flexible schedule, paid vacation every 6 months
Cons: short breaks, low compensation
A typical day would be to come in and work at the cash register and satisfy the needs of the customer. Lots of stocking, moving, and carrying items from one place to another. The weekends usually consists of sale signs, and fixing the shelves and items before the store is closed.
productive
Stock/Cashier (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 29, 2014
Pros: greet leanring place
Cons: short handed on our over night crew
very nice people to work with loved the company seen many areas i could grow in
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jersey City,NJJuly 28, 2014
Overall good workplace, hours vary. No overtime, very busy environment
This company has good potential in growth
Shift Leader (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 28, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Working at this company teaches me more about daily living to let people live and stay and be well in health along with living situatuons
planogram and department Reset
cashier/stock (Former Employee), 63 and BroadwayJuly 28, 2014
set up wall fixtures in timely order, change Mylar's, I learned how to master Bar code machine to put product in correct place and print Mylar's. the hardest part of the job was accomplishing the store resets with customers still shopping. the most enjoyable was accomplishing this in a timely order.
Just a place you shouldn't work if you like a comfortable enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), N/AJuly 21, 2014
Pros: flexiable hours alot of hours
Cons: bi weekly short staff
This is place I wouldn't remember if you don't like getting paid bi weekly but it is very good enviroment depending where you work.
Good start with customer service
Service Clerk/Stock person (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYJuly 16, 2014
Pros: working with people
I learned customer service and cashier and stock work and understand how to help customers shop get what they want
Repetitve
Sales/Stock Associate (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 13, 2014
Cons: short breaks
Underpaid salary for the work you do. A typical day is greeting customers, be friendly, and have a strong work ethic. But for the task you have to do on an everyday basis isn't worth the salary. The managers are cool, but they can get annoying at times. Adding pressure to the job for no apparent reason.
Great Coworkers
Cashier/Stockperson/Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 12, 2014
Pros: great camaraderie
Cons: short breaks, terrible discount, no mobility, pay
I was lucky to land in the store I landed in because many stores are sub-par to the one I work at. I am luckily surrounded by wonderful coworkers and an understanding management team that respects my school schedule.

Overall, company does not care about its employees, no room for growth or mobility. Too much work for so little pay. Company only cares – more... about making money and unevenly distributing it. – less
Great Management
Shift Leader (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 8, 2014
Pros: easy work great team of workers
Cons: no healthcare
Wish there was opportunity to excel faster and create more positions to move up the ladder
It was ok
Shift Leader (Current Employee), New YorkJuly 8, 2014
The experience is what you make it. I learned about cash management systems and how to manage my time appropriately. Some coworkers were good nd others could really get on your nerves, but thats any job.
It gives me a lot of experience
Cashier (Current Employee), Jersey City, NJJuly 6, 2014
Pros: my schedule can be accommodate as much as it can
Cons: short breaks, lack of break room
Management is good enough since they try to make staff as happy as they can. Store is a very fast environment. Some staff seems to be a little under motivated about the job.
Very productive & fun atmosphere
Skincare Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 5, 2014
Duane Reade is a very comfortable job to have. They offer flexible work schedules, full health benefits, and they also have a union that protects non management employees.
Productive work site
Service Clerk (Former Employee), New York NYJuly 2, 2014
Cons: short breaks
Work is always fun meeting new people learning a little about their culture.My co-workers are always fun to be around, there is no hard part on a job once you are focus.
Retail Store (duane reade)
Stock clerk / cashier (Former Employee), Queens, NYJune 29, 2014
helping customers, making sure store was neat and unloading shipments from the truck, cashier. keeping shelves neat
a lot of hard work
Cashier (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYJune 27, 2014
Working at Duane Reade was definitely an eye opening moment for me. The job is demanding, all day on your feet, multitasking, dealing rude customers who sometimes feel entitled, now not every customer was like that though.

About Duane Reade

Duane Reade -- the Big Apple of drugstores -- has been swallowed by a big fish: Walgreen. Named after the two streets where its – Read more