Duane Reade

Duane Reade Employer Reviews

very outgoing
Fork Lift & Jack Operator (Current Employee), Maspeth, NYJune 11, 2014
a very fast past job, have to maintain a quota, teamwork always
Unlimited Satisfaction
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 8, 2014
A typical day at Duane Reade is satisfying our dedicated customers with their prescriptions and questions. To me achieving a smile and providing the best customer service to my customers is a successful day.
Retail straight up
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 2, 2014
Pros: the hours i work per week are consistent.
Cons: split days off, work holidays, weekends, unreliable staff.
I am learning the ins and outs of doing retail in NYC-my boss is patient and I also like the other assistant manager.
Serving customers
Cashier/ Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee), Rego Park, NYMay 28, 2014
Pros: great work environment
Cons: pay compensation
a day at work was busy yet enjoyable, lots of friendly customers and the work was simple.
fun place to work
Stock Associate (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMay 28, 2014
get to meet different people , help people find what they looking for
great company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 27, 2014
I liked the atmosphere. The staff members are helpful. I give them my highest recommendation.
Sometimes very stressful, corporate Walgreens has little to no understanding of what high volume retail in demanding Manhattan atmosphere.
Store Manager (Current Employee), 155 E. 34th St. NY,NY 10016May 19, 2014
When I first started working for Duane Reade in 2010, I came in as an Assistant Manager (before Walgreens fully took over the reigns). Things were much more cut and dry. Hard nose retailing was the name of the game and in busy Manhattan, some days can be challenging enough with the everyday grind from the enormous amount of demanding customers, relentless – more... shoplifters and retention issues among hourly team members. Let alone we are operating our businesses out of high rise buildings that are not stand alone with parking lots and drive thru windows; much like the ones you see at your neighborhood Walgreens. Therefore one can imagine the problems with facilities maintenance that occur almost daily causing overheads to skyrocket and occupancy costs that are mind blowing. For example my rent went up to $170,000.00 per month. If you think its hard to contribute to the bottom line, you are correct. However since Walgreens came in they decided to implement all of their key initiatives, and with that came an enormous amount of corporate Duane Reade jobs eliminated, and budget cuts for the Duane Reade stores. This equates to an enormous workload that is enforced on the store managers and they keep adding, adding and adding to our workload without the proper workforce to get it all completed on a day to day basis. However I must say I have figured out how to run a clean store that has impeccable in stock and store conditions are far better than your average drug store. My team members are also for the most part, very pleasant, well trained and have bought into the Walgreens culture that I have implemented for them to follow. And while Im not entirely angry and all the changes that were made and still being made, ( they are really great ideas and probably work at your typical Walgreens) but when you combine all of these key initiatives with the largest city in the United States where life in retail can't be compared to any other market, not everything adds up to be picture perfect like they imagine. Extreme multi-tasking is my forte and if I didn't possess this trait with excellence I would sink, but its been a trait that I have not always held as such. Thats what I have learned how to execute the most. Obviously much more about operating a business, but that is the key to success if you want to be a SM for Duane Reade. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I help the overall wellness of the people that depend on me, whether its my customers or my staff. I can leave work each day and honestly say I have made an impact on someone in a positive manner, no matter how frustrated I become with seemingly corporate greed. Obviously I have been honest about my feelings towards the company that I have dedicated 4 plus years to, I just don't know if I can continue to believe in everything that they are about. If I can't honestly say I am along for the ride and agree with them on a humanistic level then I do not want to continue and that is why I have an open mind about taking my career to the next level with a company that has core values that revolve around its employees. – less
What I learned
Stock Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 19, 2014
Only good thing is working overnight very peaceful less drama.
Duane reade
Cashier/Overnight Stocker (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 19, 2014
Come in on time work begins as soon as i clock in . Help Customers . Work with Coworkers to get task done as fast as possible . restock all items to shelves after unloading the truck . take out garbage on truck nights . clean and maintain store .
Can be a great job depending on Supervisors
Front Clerk (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 19, 2014
Pros: very good experience opportunities
Cons: *see review
The customers that walk into Duane Reade were great humble people, mostly. However managers always had issues with each other and demeaned workers.Every employee had to do supervisor's job at one point or the other. I had the luck to become a generally respected worker and so the experience there was a bit less hectic for me than my co-workers.
PRODUCTIVE AND FUN WORK PLACE
Cashier (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYMay 18, 2014
Pros: discounts on lunch
Cons: short breaks
A TYPICAL DAY ITS VERY FAST PACE
IVE LEARNED ALOT HOW TO STOCK HOW
TO EXCHANGE AND DO REFUNDS.
MANAGEMENT IN THE MORNING WAS GOOD BUT THE
NIGHT MANGER WAS HORRIBLE.
MY CO-WORKERS WAS THE BEST ALWAYS HELPED OUT WHEN I DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO DO
THERE REALLY WAS NOT A HARD PART TO THE JOB YOU JUST HAVE TO GET USED TO IT
EVERYTHING WAS THE MOST ENJOYABLE SEEING – more... PEOPLE SMILE HELPING AND GETTING MY JOB DONE – less
It was a productive work place.
Stock Person/Cashier (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 5, 2014
Pros: good customer service skills
Cons: disrespectful customers
The job helped me learn cashier skills. Working well under pressure and customer service skills
Made it a very productive and friendly environment
Shift Leader (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 30, 2014
A very tight knit family orientated staff that always the customer feel welcome. Being a part of the management I learned how to deal with different personalities, how to ensure a safe work environment.
Steady pay and hours, management quality depends on store, no holidays off, little benefits outside of health (excluding sick days)
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 29, 2014
Pros: all prescriptions are low priced with medical coverage.
Cons: short to no breaks as your often the only manager in the building.
A typical day of work would usually include closing and given several tasks despite an often understaffed store, during the busiest hours. Staff us usually hard working wherever you go.

Ive learned a lot, especially how to multi-task (youll have to do that all day) and dealing with every type of individual.

Most managers in this company believe in – more... either a negative (personality wise) or leadership (working with while managing) manner. Accountability and planning is key. Most management are quick to leave without fully explaining all issues. There are typically 3 managers per store, unless its a 24 hour or extra large store.

Coworkers are usually good with this company. They often have workers who have been in the stores for quite a while and know what needs to be done.

The hardest part of the job would have to be the running back and forth dealing with many tasks. Never ending.

The most enjoyable part would be dealing with repeat customers who truly enjoy your service. – less
Head Cashier (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 28, 2014
This was a wonderful variety drug store that sold almost everything.
Good place to advance carreer, company more concerned with profit then family life.
District Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 21, 2014
Grateful for the opportunity to advance my career, but when Walgreens bought company the culture changed and most positions were cut.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Hewlett, NYApril 19, 2014
Pros: great work environment
Great work environment. Great management. Good place to work.
Productive fast paced
PHARAMACY TECHNICIAN/CASHIER (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 18, 2014
They lack opportunities to move up in the company. The pay is not too good it took me over a year to get a raise that was due to me for promotion to pharmacy technician and it was only $1.00 raise. Co-workers believe in team work. Management was lazy.
Experince
Shift Leader (Former Employee), New york New yorkApril 12, 2014
Pros: i gain a lot of experince working with this company
Cons: it's a lions cage, you have multitask
A wonderful place to work by far ; never a down time always busy . A typical day at my job was driven by how much you can achieve in one day. The day started with me counting the safe which holds up to $15,000 by hand . I had make sure till in the cash register draws were 100.00 even, which they were 10 of them that come's to a total of $1,000. Since – more... I work the over night shift ,so I was in charge of getting the store ready in the morning ; which means the store must be: face, overstock rotated, expires pulled, garbage change, bathroom clean, break room clean , stock room clean, counter clean, floor swept and mop, and windows clean. All in all my day still consist of much more , because I didn't even mention the $50,000 truck that has to be down in 3 hours. the most enjoyable part of my day is the job being done. when the customers come in and they say a professional clean environment. – less
Fun, very organised environment.
Cashier Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 7, 2014
A typical day working with Duane Reade is a great experience i got along with all my mangers and co-workers i loved my job and the position that was giving to me. what i learned on this job was pharmacological work, phone skills, also computer skills.The hardest part was doing invetory that seemed very difficult but i got the hang of it after a while – more... i enjoyed every part of my job at Duane Reade. – less

About Duane Reade

Duane Reade -- the Big Apple of drugstores -- has been swallowed by a big fish: Walgreen. Named after the two streets where its – Read more