Duane Reade Employee Reviews

not a good job
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2015
low wages and except you to give 125 percent six days a week i felt mistreated and lied to during my time at this job and i tried my hardest to just keep my eyes on the goal but with this job its hard to not dread coming into work
nice
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New yorkJuly 30, 2015
you need to be flexible with schedule , have great customer service and love interacting with people.
Stock/Cashier
Stock/Cashier (Former Employee) –  1430 BroadwayJuly 29, 2015
A typical day would be packing out item to be put on shelf. The most enjoyable part would be interacting with a very diverse community. The hardest part of the job would have to be trying to get some overtime.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
overtime
productive and fast enviorment customers made my day
Cashier/ Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 29, 2015
learning experience. Supportive supervisors and great team members overall. Management expects the greatest work and ability out of employees but as they should but lack of acknowledgement of growth.
Pros
free brand water, gives you training in other deparments and fields
Cons
No 10 or 15 breaks, verly little acknlowdment of growth
Well Organized but lacked opportunities for growth
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2015
Great location, however the pay was low and didn't compensate for the actual expectations of the management team. Try your luck.
Outstanding Work Enviroment
Lead Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2015
Working in Duane Reade was very enjoyable.I learned many things such as positive sales drive and how to handle customer service. Also, I learned implement company policies and how to maintain compliance of the store. I developed coaching/mentoring the team and new employees of the store. I also help promoting my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was working with new talent. However, I gave them advice and trained them to become a great contribution to our store. The most enjoyable part of the job is the appreciation from my field leaders when I run a successful day at work. Overall, I ran a green store.
Good Experience
Stock/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2015
Typical 9-5 job where interacting with the customers and help solve problems or answer questions was the best skilled learned from the job. This where I develop my skills in multitasking from stocking merchandise on shelves' in like item order to working the cashier. The hardest part of the job was finding motivated workers.
Cashier/Stock clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2015
Really liked the job just wish the pay and benefits where better. Excellent team work. More like family environment and very well organized.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
pay
Co workers were mostly friendly. The Job was also not difficult
Cashier/Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 5, 2015
Usually I'd walk in and get ready to clock in. As even before I get a chance to clock in there is always a costumer that needs some sort of assistance. So I'd usually help them then clock in and proceed to my register. I'd ring people up, leave my register and walk the isles, help everyone, clean, face the store, restock shelves, and maintain a great environment.
Pros
Union based job, Health benefits, understanding asistant managers and shift leaders.
Cons
Hard to progress and upgrad your position as long as your not a favorite, unfair treatment, often looked down on by store manager, Breaks were way too short, often felt like we were kept on a short leash
As a pharmacy cashier you can learn much
Rx Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 5, 2015
As a pharmacy cashier, you can learn much and get more training to build up your position such as a pharmacy tech. It was the first job that hired me when I get to New York I was enjoying it very much until I moved and I was not honored a transfer.
Pros
Good to work and learn along.
Cons
Pay is low, some manager is scammy.
Helping Others.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  New YorkJune 30, 2015
I love helping People on a everyday basics. As a Manager I learned the true meaning as customer service. I always made work fun for my employees.
Pros
Meeting new people each day.
Cons
Short hours.
safe enviornment and great staff
Sales and Stock (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2015
busy day, always ocupied, wether assisting customers or stocking merchandise. learned alot and got to meet a few good people
Pros
great opportunity to work with company
Retail
Cashier (Former Employee) –  585 2 aveJune 30, 2015
A Typical day at work for me was great i got to learn new things everyday my management was great as well .I LOVE my co workers they were always there for mr the hardst part of my job was the making sure everything is great i ejony just being there n being aournd good ppl
its ok
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2015
The pharmacy is a great place to work, the supervising pharmacist is AMAZING!!. But the front of the store is the absolute worst,
very bad management.
Cons
short breaks
Productive Work Enviorment
Pharmacy Clerk/Inventory (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2015
Clean an Healthy working environment . Customers made my working experience enjoyable . The store sold a large variety of things which made everyday interesting . During my time in the pharmacy i enjoyed working side by side the pharmacist because i learned a lot from her, she taught me things that i can use in my day to day life
Pros
Discount on Merchandise
Cons
Short Breaks
Productive and fun working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2015
Great place to work definably if you are in school. flexible with schedule and coworkers are great a very interesting job
Pros
fun work environment great customers
Cons
short breaks
General Pharmacy Store
Customer Service Overnight Stock (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2015
• Assisted customers with general products on the sales floor and on the phone
• Maintained all general products on each aisles and selves
• Returned all general products back to the sales floor
• Scanned all products to every customer at the register
Not productive
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  new yorkJune 23, 2015
my job is an alright job not really a place where they pay you enough to work you work more than you get paid. I learned how to manage the cash register i very good at stock ,i have some experience in the pharmacy i have management skills as in how to provide employees with conditioning the store and work in which can comfort customers and provide great customer service. i really did not had a hardest part of the job nor an enjoyable part.
Pros
sometimes free lunch
duane reade sucks
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  new yorkJune 22, 2015
Duane reade is the worst company i have ever worked for and i would not recommend that anyone work there. Management does not care about their workers at all.
over worked with no support
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2015
a typical day at duane reade is usually a bad day. We pack out, do security, clean and work the register without feeling appreciated for the hard work we contribute by managment.
Pros
good first experience job
Cons
working condition