Duane Reade

Duane Reade Employer Reviews

productive
Stock/Cashier (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 29, 2014
Pros: greet leanring place
Cons: short handed on our over night crew
very nice people to work with loved the company seen many areas i could grow in
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jersey City,NJJuly 28, 2014
Overall good workplace, hours vary. No overtime, very busy environment
This company has good potential in growth
Shift Leader (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 28, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Working at this company teaches me more about daily living to let people live and stay and be well in health along with living situatuons
planogram and department Reset
cashier/stock (Former Employee), 63 and BroadwayJuly 28, 2014
set up wall fixtures in timely order, change Mylar's, I learned how to master Bar code machine to put product in correct place and print Mylar's. the hardest part of the job was accomplishing the store resets with customers still shopping. the most enjoyable was accomplishing this in a timely order.
Just a place you shouldn't work if you like a comfortable enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), N/AJuly 21, 2014
Pros: flexiable hours alot of hours
Cons: bi weekly short staff
This is place I wouldn't remember if you don't like getting paid bi weekly but it is very good enviroment depending where you work.
Good start with customer service
Service Clerk/Stock person (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYJuly 16, 2014
Pros: working with people
I learned customer service and cashier and stock work and understand how to help customers shop get what they want
Repetitve
Sales/Stock Associate (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 13, 2014
Cons: short breaks
Underpaid salary for the work you do. A typical day is greeting customers, be friendly, and have a strong work ethic. But for the task you have to do on an everyday basis isn't worth the salary. The managers are cool, but they can get annoying at times. Adding pressure to the job for no apparent reason.
Great Coworkers
Cashier/Stockperson/Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 12, 2014
Pros: great camaraderie
Cons: short breaks, terrible discount, no mobility, pay
I was lucky to land in the store I landed in because many stores are sub-par to the one I work at. I am luckily surrounded by wonderful coworkers and an understanding management team that respects my school schedule.

Overall, company does not care about its employees, no room for growth or mobility. Too much work for so little pay. Company only cares about making money and unevenly distributing it.
Great Management
Shift Leader (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 8, 2014
Pros: easy work great team of workers
Cons: no healthcare
Wish there was opportunity to excel faster and create more positions to move up the ladder
It was ok
Shift Leader (Current Employee), New YorkJuly 8, 2014
The experience is what you make it. I learned about cash management systems and how to manage my time appropriately. Some coworkers were good nd others could really get on your nerves, but thats any job.
It gives me a lot of experience
Cashier (Current Employee), Jersey City, NJJuly 6, 2014
Pros: my schedule can be accommodate as much as it can
Cons: short breaks, lack of break room
Management is good enough since they try to make staff as happy as they can. Store is a very fast environment. Some staff seems to be a little under motivated about the job.
Very productive & fun atmosphere
Skincare Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 5, 2014
Duane Reade is a very comfortable job to have. They offer flexible work schedules, full health benefits, and they also have a union that protects non management employees.
Productive work site
Service Clerk (Former Employee), New York NYJuly 2, 2014
Cons: short breaks
Work is always fun meeting new people learning a little about their culture.My co-workers are always fun to be around, there is no hard part on a job once you are focus.
Retail Store (duane reade)
Stock clerk / cashier (Former Employee), Queens, NYJune 29, 2014
helping customers, making sure store was neat and unloading shipments from the truck, cashier. keeping shelves neat
a lot of hard work
Cashier (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYJune 27, 2014
Working at Duane Reade was definitely an eye opening moment for me. The job is demanding, all day on your feet, multitasking, dealing rude customers who sometimes feel entitled, now not every customer was like that though.
Productive, under staff environment
Cashier (Current Employee), 100 Broadway, New York, NYJune 26, 2014
A typical day for me is washing dishes and closing down the salad bar. I have learned to be a team player and how to be more responsible in a work environment. Management is good but they often put pressure on the current workers because we are short staff. My co-workers are amazing and very easy to get along with. The hardest part of my job is having to complete more than one task that usually takes 2-3 people to do, but on the bright side I enjoy being surrounded by people who make work enjoyable and positive.
A lot of work, A little Money
sales associate, cashier, beauty advisor (Former Employee), Brooklyn NYJune 25, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: minimum wage, pay once every two weeks, short breaks, forced union
Working at Duane Reade was definitely an eye opening moment for me. The job is demanding, all day on your feet, multitasking, dealing rude customers who sometimes feel entitled, now not every customer was like that though, I do recall some very nice people i met there too. Duane reade is all about customer service, keeping customers coming, kissing customers behind if you must so they can buy, buy buy, but Duane Reade couldn't care less about their employees. 30 minute lunch breaks, random locker checks when they just call you via intercom to break room and ask you to open your locker and empty it out. (happened to me) bag checks at front of store in front of customers thats a little embarrassing, Treating employees like thief's. Minimum wage, paid once very two weeks, roaches in lunch break room, Too much expectations, too little money i was making it by on credit cards working at duane reade, sometimes i couldn't afford lunch or pay my electricity bill. Never again I quit. If you are trying to support your family and pay your bills this is not the job that will help you. Also they say they offer benefits but the truth is that is only for employees that work 40hrs a week and they always find a way to keep you under that, after six months the best you'll get is a week vacation with NO PAY if you work under 40hrs weekly. But even with out benefits you have to join the union which basically just do whatever Duane Reade wants and take money from your check.
Good pay but management can be childish
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 23, 2014
Pros: pay, lot of hours
Cons: discount, management
I loved the pay I was getting but management and coworkers can be extremely unprofessional.
Hard work for little pay
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 23, 2014
A good first job, but not meant for anyone trying to have a career.
Fun workplace
Cashier, Stock & Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), Bayside, NYJune 21, 2014
Fun workplace with easy going staff. Work not back breaking so you can have a little fun while doing it.

About Duane Reade

Duane Reade -- the Big Apple of drugstores -- has been swallowed by a big fish: Walgreen. Named after the two streets where its – Read more