Duane Reade Employee Reviews in United States

productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2016
report to manger,bag scan and receive as well as exchange money,keep front end clean stock merchandise .i enjoy working with a team that is hardworking as i am.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
health care
A lot of work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2016
A lot of work for not enough recognition or pay.

Treated unfairly, race issues, and jobs out of my job description.

Had to kiss butt so you could get to where you want.
Pros
a job
Cons
everything
Life at duane reade
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2015
i come in clock in , change my clothes to my uniform
i come to the front check out and count my register to make sure its not short before i get on .i answer the phones assist customer and sometimes i pack out (stock)

i love my manager and i love my co wokrers best part of my job iss meeting new people everyday

hardest part is not being able to finish a task by a certain time becuase my store is always so busy

ive learner to be more of a leader and take charge which is why my managers and helping me now to move up and become a manager
Productive and Fun Workplace
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYNovember 26, 2015
This was my first real pharmacy technician job and I learned a lot from amazing co workers and pharmacist. I learned the basic entering and filling prescriptions as well as mastering how to read prescriptions and drugs and dosage and sig.
Best Job ever
Shift Leader/Management (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2016
I was able to work for the company for 3 years and i learned so much from it. I valued the company because it gave an opportunity to grow and become a better team player and the worker i am today.
They had a breakroom and time for break. Discount for workers and scope for studying.
Cashier/Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2016
I absolutely loved my job thought I would have stayed there longer. The most enjoyable part of the job was just being there.
Each day allows for growth
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2015
I have learned to always have a plan, yet always be ready to alter it to the needs of the business ie customers or staff for the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help a community and variety of individuals on a multifaceted standpoint ie customer service, ensuring products are in stock and properly priced, informing customers of promotions and services etc. Management provides opportunity for growth and is supportive.
Pros
growth opportunities
Cons
no breaks
Duane Reade is a good company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2015
I like working at Duane Reade as a young man being able to work close to soho was a cool experience it's self. The work is easy the managers are pretty cool you work at a steady pace they don't rush you i've always had a good time with my co workers.
Pros
It can be a fun place to work
Cons
They don't pay much
Great
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  661 west 42nd street, New York, New York 10036March 8, 2016
A great environment where you can grow and learn many different things. I love the fact that you get to meet many different people.
Understanding and simple
Stock/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 31, 2015
A typical day included opening boxes, stocking the shelves, wiping down the shelves, and assisting customers. The management was understanding and explained the job duties.

Want to know more about Duane Reade?

Ask a question
a good job
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2015
this job is pretty slow i like to work in a little more fast pace. the typical work day consisted of off loading trucks and stocking shelves. the really no hard part of this job just find where the items go after yu offloaded the truck.
Pros
helps with being organize and time mangament
work that does not match pay.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 17, 2016
Typical day is customer service with repetitive actions and constant cash handling, Restocking and completion of tasks given by management. Duene Reade offers many skills in form of communication skills, customer service and cash handling experience. Management and co-workers can be good but can fall on deaf ears when concerning with problems within the work place gossip , theft , employee insubordination , acknowledging good employees and being harsh on good ones and do little when employee disrespect. The hardest part of the job is trying to keep up and live up to the expectation of management preventing theft in the store and keeping store conditions well kept, as well as performing perfect cash handling. The enjoyable part is meeting new people and interacting with a diverse set of customers and employees.
Pros
helping out customers, holiday pay, vacation, helping the company grow and exceed previous sales, delivering customer service.
Cons
theft, constant employee insubordination, delivering high volumes of task execution, cant take breaks beacuse of managment tasks.
Tense Atmosphere
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2015
•a typical day at work
With the different enthic backgrounds trying to do work became a bit hectic due to 911

•what you learned
I learned how to deal with difficult people

•management
I was trained by a manager in another department

•your co-workers
My co-workers kept quiet. In other words becasue of the tense atmosohere they really never talked to one another

•the hardest part of the job
Trying to deal with difficult people

•the most enjoyable part of the job
Being able to smooth out some of the tension and have a better day
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Tension
Not a very satisfying experience
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 11, 2015
Most of the workers were always late and lazy. Only a few of us had to do all the work. Those employees that did nothing were reported and documented several times and they were never terminated or dealt with. Management and Corporate never seem to care. Although there were some employees and mangers that did seem to care. Overall my time working for Duane Reade was unsatisfying
good
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  609 columbus aveDecember 9, 2015
I love the job it's awesome I just think that it's important to make sure that the company has more opportunities for they're employees so that they can grow within the company. but, other than that I love the job i's awesome
At My Store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 3, 2015
Everyday was so repetitive, and it was a very tiny store. There was not much to do at the store and not many customers as well. My shifts were always the same every week and was not flexible. Management was questionable as there was never a store manager but only shift leaders, since the GM was at another store. The store did not make money.
If you work at Duane Reade it is best to work at a bigger store. The only good thing working in a small store is being able to learn quickly and efficiently. Because it is a small store, you will be able to take all the roles in taking care of the business and learn great management skills.
Pros
Easy and Fast Learning, Work gets done Quickly
Cons
Horrible job advancement, Terrible hours, lack of strong management.
was not something i expected to be
o Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2015
The company seems like a great opportunity to start as if you really looking for a job. one thing that made it great was having someone represent you in any bad situation you came upon on. the company provide a union.As my time there i realized they lacked in communicating with employees and also lack in considering each person different and has to be treated the same way. it can not just be one is more important than the other or when has to do more work then the other. it should be a fair equal environment.
Pros
has benefits
Cons
Lack of management, lack of communication
School with work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYDecember 31, 2015
From working at Mandees, I thought I knew the basics for being a cashier, but Duane Reade allowed me to expand on those skills. The only difficulty was managing a work week of 30+ hours with school and applying for the nursing program. My schedule was packed but I still managed to provide the best of myself that I could while I was working. Duane Reade allowed me to move up and complete more than just being a cashier. I learned how to complete price changes, transfer items from storage to the shelves, as well as getting new shipments of transferred/new items every Thursday. I learned how to change the price labels for promotions and sales every Sunday as well as how to change the design of each shelf using planners that came in every so often. I also learned how to get rid of damaged items, how to put items on clearance based on the original price and how to clean the store at the end of the night which was a little bit different than Mandees. Closing at Mandees was different then closing at Duane Reade. Overall I'm glad that I was a part of Duane Reade's company.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Hours
Productive, fun and friendy
Teacher's assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2015
I joined the Summer Youth Employment Program and chose to work in a daycare close to my home. It turned out to be a wonderful experience. I had a class of 7 ranging from the ages of 1 - 3 and had a blast teaching them. I also cleaned my work area, the children's plates, and faces after eating.
A typical day at work
Cashier, Stock Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 24, 2015
Enjoyable wonderful fast paced environment working with customers and handling cash transactions while making sure the floor fully stocked with neat shelves
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
not enough hours worked

2.9