Duane Reade Employee Reviews

It was a great working environment
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York StateApril 17, 2017
I feel that this is a great job for anyone. The people I worked with were great. The hours were hectic but it's a good job with good benefits. The area I worked was dangerous bit still felt safe.
Pros
Night shifts
Cons
Damgerous time to work
I had lots of fun , got to meet great new people
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 17, 2017
It was a great place to work at! I had lots of fun and got to meet great new people... I have been taught things I never knew!! Overall it was a great experience.
Day to Day
Stockperson - Floater (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2017
My day to day activities included maintaining the computerized stock inventory while performing loss prevention activities. I was also responsible for sorting and storing our incoming stock.
Great working environment
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 14, 2017
Duane Reade Warehouse was a great working environment. I have learned a lot over the past 11 years. Able to use forklift. What went wrong was that the company relocated to a different state.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
no overtime
Fast past environment, fun, a lot of work opportunity.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 13, 2017
During my typical workday, I am responsible for making sure I show up on time in proper dressed code, make sure my register area is clean and neat. I would call for a cash count before I start my first transaction, check my list of task that need to me done before my shift is over. I learned how to utilize RF scanners to price check,modify and to up date counts used for store inventory.My store manager right down to shift leaders where very caring,helpful, and knowledgeable about the company. My hardest part of the job was doing resets for cosmetic department. The most enjoyable part was making sure I did my best assisting customers.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Having to take insults from not so nice customers.
I absolutely loved working at Duane Reade
Cashier/Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2017
Going to work there was exhilarating. I am a people person so I enjoyed greeting and working with the customers and getting along with the team.

Cashiering there as a trainee was excellent and I was thankful for the experience.
Pros
Being responsible for many different tasks
Cons
Kneeling
Fair Place to Grow
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2017
I started at Duane Reade as a Sales Associate, and ended up moving to Pharmacy (though no pay raise) due to my skills. The Pharmacy is a lot LESS flexible than the Sales Floor, but is a great learning experience. I would prefer my schedule to be more lax, and my hours to be more generous, but I enjoy my current work.
Pros
consistent scheduling
Cons
no breaks, no benefits, hours not flexible, short hours
productive
Sales associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2017
Sales associate/Cashier New York, NY
May 2016 – November 2016
- Helped customers with their needs and Choices
- Maintained a clean establishment
- Stock and packed out when the truck came
- Hung up sale Signs
Completing all directives on time.
GENERAL CLERK (Current Employee) –  50-02 55TH AVENUE MASPETH NY 11378April 11, 2017
Multitask on each assignment always meet my deadlines on all assignments. Very flexible to complete each task professionally. I have worked in sev
Pros
I am given a half hour for lunch each day sometimes I may or may not use all time allowed
Cons
15 Mins per day
rude manager
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2017
stressful work environment the customers care more about your wellbeing than management if your sick get ready to come in no matter what no excuses..
Pros
assistant manager will be helpful
Cons
store manager is very rude
Day goes by quick if it is busy
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2017
A lot of time spent filling and typing prescriptions from more thing night. Calling insurance companies and Doctors offices. Learned a lot about insurance coverage and medication usages
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
30 min non paid breaks
very strefull but fullfilling
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2017
it was very organize but I work too many hours. I was a salary manager that had to do the general manager job and mines. the employees I had was very reliable so it made it easy to get most of my work and others too.
Pros
paid vacation and 401k plan
Cons
good health insurance
It was okay
Sale Asst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2017
It was a okay job i learn on cashiering my management was a Little with attitude and favoritism it was certain amount of workers the hardest job was recovering while customer there but the joy was helping them
Pros
our discount was good
Cons
no team work
Retail Pharmacy
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 4, 2017
A typical day at work would be filled with task and is very fast paced so the day flies. From dealing with customer relations to working with vendors to control inventory, also building relationships with co workers. I learned a lot about business and the health care side of retail. Management is pretty fair. The hardest part of the job was balancing work with personal life, at times it felt like i was never off the clock because as a part of management I had to solve the problems of the shift supervisors that was new to the role or inexperienced to the role while i was at home. Best part off the job was a building relationships with co-workers and regular customers.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
No work/life balance
very nice place to work at
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Edgewater, NJApril 4, 2017
great place to work at.
great team, pharmacist help each others
learned a lot of stuff.
long shifts , no break for pharmacist & cannot sit just like any other pharmacy job
all in all , its a great company to work at
Cons
short staff
Good store
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2017
I had fun stocking shevels pricing items doing register commuicating with customers i had good hours and an good pay but i moved so i had to leave upstate
Workplace
Stocker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2017
Too much work for just minimum wage. Stocked inventory ,cleaned the garbage room, handling customers, cash , credit/debit transactions and minimum supervisory training.
Pros
OK employee discount
Cons
Only pays minimum wage
great customer satisfaction
Drug Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 3, 2017
a typical day at work was organizing perscriptions into baskets according to a patients last name\ type and filled prescriptions\ make calls to patients to inform of any problems regarding their status on prescription or to let them know that they are ready for pickup. typed in insurance info. Answer phone calls. handled large lump sums of cash and operated register and took care of the customers needs/wants regarding perscriptions. the most enjoyable part of the job was customer satisfaction and receiving positive feedback.
Cons
short breaks only 30min
n/a
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  UESApril 3, 2017
Will not recommend.
A lot of stores closed down which left about 50 pharmacist just floating. Job position not secure as you would exepect for a big retail company such as this.
Pharmacy life
Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2017
Running a busy pharmacy with a staff that did little to help out. District manager did not want to help out so again all burden falls on your shoulders and you get discouraged.