Duff & Phelps Employee Reviews

Bad for compliance group
Director of Manager Due Diligence (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2017
The compliance group is formerly from Kinetic Partners. This is a British firm that is poorly managed and not in touch with the US market. My understanding is that the valuation group is excellent.
Good Workplace
Junior Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 25, 2017
I always new what each day would bring. I was happy with management and it was an overall good experience. I would look at contracts and other legal documents every day and input important information from those documents into an Excel sheet.
Miserable unhappy people in dire environment
Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2017
The most unhappy people in the world, pressure to bill time, terrible managers, horrible culture, management spying on employees, back-biting and people going to HR at the drop of a hat, you cannot say a word without someone getting offended, tons of paperwork, no bonuses, the list of negatives goes on forever.
Pros
Cons
No advancement, high turnover, bad managers, unhappy people
This was a temporary position
Accountemps (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2017
Good location
Great vision
Good teamwork
Great overall
Pros
Great Company
Cons
It was not a permanent position
Don't get your hopes up
Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 18, 2017
This job is just that, a job, at least in my branch. Management let's go of good employees and held on to those costing the most penalities and creating an undesirable work place for the others on their team. A VP verbally said to me that there was no room for advancement and our long hours went unappreciated.
Pros
Laid back dress code, insurance, non micromanagement
Cons
Unorganized, non structural management, no trust in the higher ups
Good Experience
Winter Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2017
I had a role here as part of a winter practicum. Our supervisors (2 of them) were extremely responsive whenever our team had questions. They were attentive to our capstone presentation, bringing in other employees to learn, and hopefully got good use out of our project.
Good starting position, not much after that
Analyst (Current Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 3, 2017
Its a good job to learn the basics of asset pricing/management. The work itself is very easy, the hardest part is scheduling clients and traveling which you do about 70% of the time. Not a position for those who like a predictable life or expect to know what they will be doing a few days in advance. Not much room for upward movement in the division I'm in and the bonus structure only applies for the highest grossing divisions. Base pay is mid to low for the market, good benefits and savings plan + corporate benefits.
Pros
Easy work, good benefits/saving plan, paid vacation
Cons
Lots of travel, not much mobility, lack of workplace culture
No clear path forward
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2017
Poor management and communication regarding a path forward and career advancement.

Culture was relaxed, but there was a clear divide between business lines.
Lots of Churn
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  TexasDecember 14, 2016
Turnover seems to be higher than at other firms. Seasonality of workload can be difficult to manage, but people here are great and I consider most as friends. Additionally, I hold immediate managers and local office leadership in high regard. However, it can be a challenge navigating the larger corporation because the opportunities to interact outside of your local office are fairly limited. Advancement depends more on your ability to bring in new business than how well you execute on engagements.
Large company with structure and organization
Chief Operating Officer / Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2016
Most enjoyable part of work is that everyone is there to work hard and make a difference. The departments have been established and have all passed the growth phase, they have processes which help make all employees feel comfort.
Long-Term Temp Assignment
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXAugust 30, 2016
Working at Duff & Phelps allowed me to contribute and establish myself as a team lead for all assignments provided to our temp group. The team was helpful in providing us with direction on our daily/weekly assignments.
Pros
Free Flu Shot, Great view with windows
Cons
Some direction was not entirely clear, some temps were not always prompt and on time to work or just stopped working.
Good place overall
Director (Former Employee) –  NYCOctober 9, 2015
Smart and driven people, but you need a powerful rabbi to advance. A great place to gather experience, but not build a brand.
Very nice place to work
Manager of Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJSeptember 25, 2015
Very good environment to work. an amazing place to work. I still miss all my coworkers. they really treated us like family. great opportunity for growth. Sadly at one point my positon was moved elsewhere.
Great benefits but job insecurity
Analyst (Current Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 13, 2015
Management is imported from overseas. Boss can't relate to American employees. The most enjoyable part of the job is the benefits and time off. There is no job security and plenty of job turnover across the board.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
job insecurity
Standard financial consulting firm
Financial Due Diligence - Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2015
There is no typical day at work for me. My daily tasks are driven by the transaction that my team and I are working on.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the unpredictable nature of each transaction.

The most enjoyable part is interacting with a target's management team and learning about the business.
A company experiencing turnover and staff terminations
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2014
My coworkers were friendly and compassionate people. I enjoyed the nice offices and friendly people. I learned that this company is going through a lot of change after a special software was presented before it was ready and as a result the company experienced a financial loss.

I had a long commute and this was an expensive drive everyday.
Pros
Nice offices, nice people
Cons
Experience a lot of turn over.
Really Poor Website for Application Process
Applicant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 20, 2014
I just finished writing a note through their "Contact Us" section. Wow! is all I can say. The application process is very substandard and not what I would expect from a large corporation that has vast resources in the IT Department.

As an M&A expert and also a database/website creator, I was appalled. There are several glitches and if submitting and a glitch appears, it also erases an hour's worth of work. Apparently, they value the time of the individual applicant very little.

It is unfortunate because in order to fill important positions, I assume that they will ultimately have to rely upon a form of nepotism or a recruiter, whereby costing money or admitting a "less than" applicant. I certainly hope they improve this process because after 2 hours, I've given up. My time is better spent in working/applying to more efficient, cost-efficient companies and processes.

I certainly hope this is not indicative of the work-product of the company. However, the verdict is out as one needs to determine if the issues are addressed or ignored.
Pros
Don't know
Cons
Good luck in trying to apply
Cut throat culture
Dispute & Legal Management Consulting (Current Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 18, 2014
-Focus on staying billable rather than focus on development of career
-Old school big 4 culture
-Office cultures vary
-Encouraged networking with clients
-Not family friendly
-No diversity
Pros
High profile clients and projects
Cons
Churn and burn culture
Property Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXSeptember 3, 2013
Typical day at work involves various administrative duties, analytical work and helping other departments that are falling behind on deadlines.
Cons
High stress environment with constant short deadlines
Good benefits & compensation, not so good culture or envirnoment.
Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXJuly 19, 2013
Fantastic benefits & compensation; however, the culture and professionalism are lacking due to lack of accountability and leadership, clear goals & direction. Also a big push to continually work overtime, leads to poor work/life balance. The morale is low and turnover high, positions are not filled in a timely manner and workload is unevenly distributed.
Pros
Compensation & benefits
Cons
Work/life balance, lack of professionalism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duff & Phelps. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8