Duke Energy Corporation Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Engineering Intern - System Operations (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 6, 2017
As an intern in transmission planning a typical day at Duke
Energy would include performing studies to diagnose potential issues on the Transmission and Distribution System. I learned how to do all of the necessary job functions of a transmission planning engineer and the management that helped me get to that point were exceptional! Duke Energy is definitely one of the better companies to work for in the utility industry!
Stressful
Customer Service Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 26, 2017
Typically, as a Customer Care Telephone Agent, it can be very stressful to fulfill the expectations for Average Handle Time for each call and provide excellent Customer Service. Time management was a must in that atmosphere. The hardest part of the job, was not being able to make every customer's experience a pleasant one if there were issues with billing, power outages and/or service.
Pros
onsite Cafeteria
Great place to work now but fading fast
Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 7, 2017
Duke is a great place to work; most of the people are supportive and helpful and the benefits are good; unfortunately, I've seen its commitment to employees continue to get overshadowed by its commitment to shareholders. Senior leadership talks a good deal about wanting to be the best in the industry then does everything it can to drive towards "middle of the pack" when benchmarking reveals Duke to be an outlier in any type of employee perk. (i.e., Duke want the benefits of having a great workforce, but no longer want to bare the cost). Changes in the workplace culture and employee moral have been gradually reflecting this shift for the past couple of years. It's sad. I used to really love working there.
Pros
Friendly environment, worklife balance
Cons
declining committment to employees, leadership unaligned; lack of (middle) managment diversity
Great Company. Exciting work.
Lead Scheduler - Transmission & Distribution (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 15, 2017
Duke Energy is the largest utility in the country. It Has a fantastic CEO who challanges everyone to strive better think faster and solve problems. I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Great People
Large company, great people, limited growth for diverse candidates
Director/Principal Duke Foundation (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 23, 2017
One culture does not exist. Some business units provide great opportunities while others are more confining. Middle management is the most unhappy. Talent movement is restricted unless you are well connected.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Limited growth for some people
Company culture declining over past 5 years
Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 2, 2017
Management training is needed. Declining talent in senior leadership. Promotions, opportunities and advancement inconsistent with talent and skills. Lack of understanding at senior levels of operational business
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Leadership in transition and struggling with results
great company
fire marshal (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCJanuary 1, 2017
company fun to be with, hard to get on. Enjoyed my job and meeting others and working close with them in a tight group.Management is fair.
Various opportunities
Senior Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 22, 2016
Duke granted me several opportunities to develop different skills based on a diverse job assignments throughout me career.
--Work Day starts around 5:00 AM, ensuring potential issues are resolved and/or mitigated
--Concise/Sound Communication is critical to business success
--My Co-Workers were very professional and conscientious
--Separating from a group that I was personally signed to develop
--Assisting others with their job, also helping others with their career development
Pros
Employment stability
Cons
Opportunities for promotional advancements
Great Experience
Work Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work was to make sure I had the engineers work in their work box so they can have all their orders before leaving the office. I learned a lot about power outages. The hardest part of the job was during power outages and calling customers and not being able to give them a specific time when their lights would be restored. I enjoyed everyday I went to work.
Pros
Great co-workers
Overall a decent employer
Power System Lead Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 5, 2016
Area I was in worked rotating shifts. At times became very stressful.
Most of coworkers were good to work with.
Management of corporation changed with each of the 3 mergers that occurred when I was there.
The hardest part of the job was adapting to new policies/procedures which seemed to change week to week, shift to shift.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of accomplishment after a hard shift.
Everyone in management is OLD
Sr. Nuclear Lead Requirements Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 3, 2016
It was an environment where new ideas are not well received. They area I was in, were not into innovation. If the idea can from someone much older than myself, then it was well received!
my coleagues were very helpful in every way
Oracle Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 9, 2015
My co-workers are very smart working people and i also learned from that.i must say i enjoyed working with this company.
Cost Analyst / Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 20, 2015
Working at Duke Energy was a great experience. It taught me that hard work and attention to detail are important parts of all jobs. My co-workers and I at the plant worked together to make the plan run more efficiently and on budget.
Pros
Great pay, Great benefits
Cons
Work/Life balance a bit challenging. Diversity outside of Corporate is minimal
Good company with excellent benefits package.
Senior Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 27, 2015
Can be very political and hard to move around and up in the company. Like most corporate America, it's who you know, not what you know.
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
Lack of leadership in certain support function groups.
Fun working place
QA Tester (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 21, 2015
good work culture , gives you homely environment
like my co- workers , celebrating every event with all,
no traffic at all while commuting
Pros
flexible
Good
Customer Service Specialist Business & Industry (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 16, 2015
Great experience here, learned alot received a lot of training. Great coworkers and management team had a very enjoyable time.
Productive and fun workplace
Lead Accounting Analyst - Regulated Utilities (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 23, 2015
I've really enjoyed my time at Duke. The management team is very knowledgeable and supportive of employee development. In my current role, I have great exposure and visibility to upper management.
Pros
Cons
N/a
Good Place to work
Sr. Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 19, 2015
There is a good work - life balance.
You get opportunity to deal with latest technologies.
Pros
Latest technologies
Productive, Great Mentors, Great Life Work Balance
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  CharlotteNovember 21, 2013
Great place to work, learned a lot about myself. Great Management, Great life work balance, Great co-workers
Pros
Great Team Members
Cons
Did not enjoy litigation
Various task/duties
Corp Ethics,Compl,&Internal Audit Admin Support (Current Employee) –  charlotte, ncOctober 30, 2013
My job gives me a wide variety of different task and learning most all the departments within the company. Makes me very valuable.