Duke Energy Employee Reviews

Great Company
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 17, 2017
Great company with great work life balance. The only downside is the training when coming on board is not the best, utilities aren't the most entertaining line of business to be in.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Work life balance.
Cons
Utilities aren't the most interesting thing, poor onboard training
Stressful cut-throat Company
Line Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winter Garden, FLOctober 12, 2017
Duke came along and created the 80 plan. You reach a combination of 30 years of service and 50 years in age and they look at how much you are making and cut your job based on what they can save by dismissing you (Terminating). After providing them with 30 years of hard work and loyalty, this is what you are giving, and they play it off like you're nothing. So they let you go with no explanation of why. When you ask what you did wrong, they explain, This is Florida, a right to work state and we do not have to give you a reason other than we no longer need your services.They put you in a taxi and send you home. A very cruel and unjust way to treat loyal employees.
Pros
Benifits, good training
Cons
Stress, Cut-throat
Great Company
Real Estate Representative (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 9, 2017
Job is secure, and co-workers are wonderful. Pace is a little slow for someone used to being in the field and negotiating more. Great benefits and lots of paid time off for good work/life balance.
Good
Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 8, 2017
Duke Energy was a good place to work. The work load was steady, but not overwhelming. The benefits were very good and the salaries were decent. Promotions were based more on partisanship than skill level..
Pros
Great benefits and good salary
Cons
Too much middle management, work siloed
maintanence worker
Maintenance shop summer hire (Former Employee) –  Cayuga, INOctober 8, 2017
We painted and ran errands for the maintenance shop. We also cleaned and did odds and ends things. It was a great job t have while being a college student.
Highly stressful and demanding workplace
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLOctober 6, 2017
I have worked many jobs in my life and this is without a doubt the most demanding and stressful job I have ever had. I was not prepared to deal with customers in the Tampa Bay area. These people are down right demanding, mean, and hateful. Customer service is expected to be empathetic and helpful but do not get the same treatment from management. Overtime is outright criminal as many find themselves working mandatory overtime at 10 to 12 hour days for long stretches of time. For a normal job this would be difficult enough but, having to deal with hostile and angry customers all day long is emotionally taxing and soul draining. Is not a job I would ever intentionally go back to.
Pros
Will always be a demand
Cons
Long hours, extremely difficult customers, and management expectations
Long hours. Good pay.
Power technician (Former Employee) –  Ironton, OHOctober 5, 2017
Lots of overtime. Short staffed. Outages are brutal. Long hours during outages and no time off until outage is over. have worked as many as 30 days (12.5 hrs a day) straight without time off. Unproductive workers never forced to do their job.
Pros
good pay
Cons
HR is terrible, insurance not very good. Management shows favortism.
Fun Work Place
IT Help Desk Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 2, 2017
We answer roughly 60 calls a day. The environment is nice and relaxed. The hardest part is not be able to solve an issue and having to route a ticket. The most enjoyale is being to solve and assist the end user.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Heavy calls at times
I dislike the Customer Care position
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 2, 2017
I dislike the Customer Care position. They treat you like work should be the focus of your life. There are constantly signs of nepotism, which is really disturbing. They can schedule you to work 12 hour shifts and make you come in to work on your days off with no regards to plans you have. I truly detest they culture of Duke Energy, give all you time and energy to the company and don't work to improve yourself. The people only care about who you know to move up in the company. I never can feel like the company has my best interest in mind
The culture was relaxed and fun.
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Roxboro, NCSeptember 30, 2017
Duke Energy is a good job that requires a lot of physical labor. The culture is very laid back but also can require some strenuous and fast paced labor depending on the time lines and deadlines that are set in place.
Pros
after working there for a year you get a week of paid vacation
Cons
the expectancy of working safe all the time can be tedious
Great work environment
Relay Maintenance and Construction Internship (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCSeptember 29, 2017
Extremely safety minded company, great benefits and advancement opportunities. Worked as an intern and found the company to be excellent to be a part of all around.
I really enjoyed my time that I got to work with Duke Energy.
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 29, 2017
I was hired enough a temp agency to work at Duke Energy and was not able to get on full time at that time. I really enjoyed working with the engineering team. I answered the phones, delivered the mail throughout the department, worked on Microsoft word, and excel.
Family
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 28, 2017
I left Duke in 2007 for a voluntary layoff package. I decided to go back to school and get a degree in the Medical Billing field. Still very fond of the family that I had while at Duke.
Record Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INSeptember 28, 2017
I love working here, I just feel that with the org changes taking place, it is difficult to advance within the company. I believe in a few years that this will get better, but for now, it is difficult to wait out.
QA Analyst/Simulation Developer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Duke Energy. The atmosphere was what I liked best. Communication could be better but overall I'm not complaining. If you work in IT its a tough place to get hired on with permanently.
Consultant at Duke Energy for 3 projects
Change Management Lead | Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 21, 2017
Enjoyed my work there. Glad that Duke is keen on the need for Organizational Change Management as part of the major projects that I was on. That this awareness is part of the culture helped my with my work. Charlotte is a great city. Duke is downtown. Would have liked a higher rate for the value that I provided when there, but oh well.
Loved this job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crystal River, FL 34428September 20, 2017
Very fast paced, loved the people and management who worked here at crystal river 3. Would for sure go back and work for the company again. Enjoyed working for this company
Large company mess
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 18, 2017
I was a contractor though. Not treated like you would be as an employee. They control your life outside of work too and call it Safety. Creepy. These large companies are very complex and have many issues that fall on the little peoples shoulders.
Pros
Cons
Parking, passive aggressive management, company is too large
As expected
Technical Writer (contract) (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 17, 2017
My role as a technical writer was exactly as expected. I was hired for a specific task and it was as described. The people are friendly and the management is focused.
Fast paced and challenging. Your coworkers are like family. Long hours.
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 16, 2017
Duke Energy is safety focused in everything they do. There is a focus on the customer and communities in which Duke Energy serves. They care about the environment and the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duke Energy. Our community is ready to answer.