Duke University Health Systems Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Would not recommend
Clinician (pulmonary) (Former Employee) –  Medical Center beside Duke RaleighSeptember 17, 2017
Worked in one of the clinics (PDC clinic) and it was the worse place I've ever worked. The environment was stressful for everyone EVERYDAY! The doctors that run the facility are not uplifting and feel that the employees are beneath them. The Doctors don't care about the level of stress they put on the staff. Two doctors seem to be bipolar and like to scream not only at the clinical staff but at some of the patients. My time at the clinic was short and I would NEVER recommend anyone to work at this place.
Pros
Daily catering
Cons
Stressful atmosphere, management that's not knowledgeable of clinical jobs, and the Doctors attitudes.
typical day on medical unit
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 4, 2017
Worked on a medicine unit where I delivered care to pulmonary and renal patients. It was a very busy floor. Usually you had 5-6 patients which made it very busy day. Being a medicine unit most patients had a lot of medications including insulin to administer. I learned about kidney and lung transplants, and ventilator patients.
The management and charge nurses on the floor were very supportive and helpful. The staff is friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was the med administration having your patients in different areas of the unit. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new friends which I still have and just the joy of taking care of my patients. On occasion lunch or treats would be served.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
nights
Work from home
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  RTPAugust 27, 2017
Family oriented, good supervisors and management, good team buildings, working with patients is is plus, the workplace culture is outstanding, recognition for the work performed
Pros
work from home
Cons
advancement
Great place to learn, but Physician focused!
PRMO employee (Former Employee) –  Duke SouthAugust 20, 2017
Duke is Physician focused, and it is an impressive teaching opportunity for that group. There is still a lack of professionalism afforded to the clinical staff, including some Advanced Practice providers. Management can make or break your experience at Duke. I suggest you go with your first impression after an interview as some leadership short comings are a weakness.
Pros
Great opportunity to learn in the right department
Cons
Too focused on the medical staff
Nursing care assistant
Nursing Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NC 27707July 1, 2017
Passionate group of people that I worked with, enjoyed assisting patients, work culture is wonderful,people are very great group that helps one another.
Excellent
Cardiac Sonographer (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 30, 2017
Excellent place................best place I ever worked for......awesome supervisor, amazing people, very laid back. beautiful campus, top of the line doctors.
Low pay but great benefits
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 26, 2017
Pay was low but extremely amazing benefits would highly recommend this hospital. I would work there again if I was back in North Carolina staff was also amazing
Personal Opinion
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 10, 2017
The first six months at Duke in the department I worked in was miserable. The other nurses were negative and each and every one did things differently for the most basics of things. The manager asked me to chart under other nurses login and many other issues were present, making it impossible to work.
outstanding
Housekeeper Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 1, 2017
the hardest part of the day is when i have to go home. the students is a blessing to work with. i enjoy talking with them about thier culture and there goals. Mangement is exciting because its always someone new.
Senior Biomedical Equipment Technician
Senior Biomedical Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 25, 2017
Great benefits and nice working environment. Parking for staff was awful and expensive. Teams and departments work well together. Very clean and sterile hospital.
Cons
Long drive in traffic, road construction always

Want to know more about Duke University Health Systems?

Ask a question
Meeting new people
Appointment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 22, 2017
The hardest part of my job was understanding the work culture and value. There was not to much caring towards the employees. Management did not focus on the value of the employee but just the value of the patient.
Pros
Employment
Cons
parking
Productive/Reliant
Central Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 22, 2017
Duke University Medical is a great place to work and would recommend it to anyone. Duke University Medical provides excellent health and dental benefits as well retirement incentives and benefits.
Pros
Learning something new everyday.
Cons
Getting current information into Control Room
Great place to have a career
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 30, 2017
Loved my time at Duke, educational and career advancement opputunities. Benefits were great, management encouraged higher learning. Varied jobs that provided a well rounded work experience
Pros
Great time off and eligibility for vacation and education days
big place to work make and meet a lot of people
Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 28, 2017
nice place to work.I met a lot of nice people.you can move up if you want to move up.or change to another department.the hardest part is learning your way around.management is o.k because you have to work with people from all over. Go to your department get your work spot and and start your job.That is your work day
Pros
building up your pto time and working over time.
Cons
getting lost when you first start working at Duke North
Excellent
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 26, 2017
People caring for others who cant help themselves in one time or another just seeing and working with others with a great heart...is awesome. I loved ever6about the position and title i held
Excellent Work Place
Registered Nurse-MICU (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 22, 2017
Duke Hospital is an excellent work environment. It is going to be hard to leave. The manager support and physician/nurse relationship is by far one the best I have heard of.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 5, 2017
Great work/life balance, great management, friendly coworkers. There are loan repayment opportunities and a ladder to advance your career. Unfortunately, pay remains in the lower end of the spectrum in the area.
Rn
Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 29, 2017
Like many employers there are pros and cons. My managing and unit culture is great but pay and benefits aren't. Great preceptors, mentors, resources.
Productive and fun employment
Account Insurance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 29, 2017
Daily routine was filing insurance claims, talking with patience regarding their accounts. Corresponding with insurance companies. The workplace was very enjoyable.
being able to keep insurance if you been here past two years.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 19, 2017
I think that I should be able to keep my insurance, because I been here for 3yrs and all I want to do on the Friday that I work is to be able to work 8hrs instead of 12, and they said that they will take my insurance from me. that's not right.