Duke University Employee Reviews

Secretary
Admission Secretary (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 22, 2018
There was not a typical day. Each day there were expectations, I made my own work schedule, Management was great, as well as supervisor and physicians. My responsibilities were to receive applications for the graduate program at Duke. Setup interviews, luncheons, tours, order supplies, etc.

There was no hard part of the job. I enjoyed the position and the people, students I encountered.
Pros
Working for Duke
Cons
Had to leave, relocate
Fast-paced working environment
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 21, 2018
My current position is fast-paced (which I enjoy) but very poorly managed with a very high personnel turnover in the past 2 years due to current supervisor.
Pros
Enjoy the pace, type and variety of job duties
Cons
Very poor management/leadership
Great place for biomedical science research
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 18, 2018
Duke is an excellent environment in which to be trained to carry out cutting-edge biomedical science in one of the leading hospitals in the world. I highly recommend it as an academic training institution.
Work very hard in our environment.
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chair's Office, Department of PediatricsJanuary 17, 2018
My position is one that needs to be reassessed. It is more work than one person can possibly do in 40 hours. It has unrealistic expectations and is probably the reason I am the 4th or 5th person in this position since this past April.

However, I love working at Duke. I am very proud of working at Duke and consider it an honor to work at such a prestigious University/Hospital.
Pros
Enjoy co-workers
Cons
Middle level management individual leads with emotion.
Nice place to work
Post-doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 16, 2018
There are many opportunities for free beer and food. Its absolutely ridiculous how much this occurs.

A few professors are extremely high strung with big egos, which is baffling considering they spend all of their time designing and building tinker toys with no real world application.

I've seen a few professors here make a real world impact and Duke deserves nothing but respect for that.
Pros
Free food, free beer
Cons
Some professors have over hyped egos
Challenging & stimulating work environment. Interesting surgeries. Difficult staff & surgeons at times. A lot of contract RN's. Fast paced work enviro
OR RN, Level (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 15, 2018
Challenging & stimulating work environment. Interesting surgeries.
Difficult staff & surgeons at times. A lot of contract RN's. Fast paced work environment with an emphasis on productivity
Pros
Interesting surgeries
Cons
Difficult staff members and surgeons
Relaxed workplace
Research Technician II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 15, 2018
Working at Duke has its perks but unfortunately, due to the institutions impressive reputation, the employees are underpaid and retention, especially among individuals 25-30, is not very high.
Big company, really depends on the group you are working with
Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 13, 2018
This is a big entity, so its somewhat unfair to rate it as one. The group i worked in was small, and my experience was marred by an inexperienced manager. If i had the opportunity to work with other managers, i probably would have had a much different experience
Pros
this location had free parking
Cons
isolated, expensive dining options
Stable
Intern (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 8, 2018
It was a nice environment. As an intern I was able to learn a lot of new skills and what it was like to work in a hospital setting. The employees at duke are very nice and professional.
stressful
Nurse RN - Adult Bone Marrow Transplant Unit (Former Employee) –  Durham, NC 27710January 5, 2018
manipulative nursing manager
racial discrimination
racial remarks ignored by management
very hostile work environment
paid less than market for the name
My review
Food Service Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 5, 2018
I worked at Duke for about 4 years and it was a great environment. It's just the management wasn't that good. They didn't know how to talk to people and we didn't get that good of a raise.
Pros
Great healthcare
Cons
We had to pay for our food
Keep Looking
Shift Manager/ Unit Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 3, 2018
It's always something new everyday understaffed under paid and no communication. Leadership does not care and flexibility is not an option. There is no care for employees
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 3, 2018
Typical day would be very busy. I learned allot at Duke. I had great management at work. I had a great work place culture at that job. The hardest part of the job was hoe busy it was. The most enjoyable thing about the job was the people.
nice
Housekeeping Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 3, 2018
I love working at Duke, I just need more hours than 40 hours a week. I would love if my department allowed us to do overtime. The pay is nice i just have more bills and not enough of money
able to feel good about the working conditions with pharmacy and ins. co. along with all the patients
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 3, 2018
If I didn't need to come back home, I would not have left my job, but, I wanted to be near my family. Loved my job and all the people I worked with and worked for.
Pros
able to feel good about what I did for the department of dermatology
Cons
No cons
work culture
Financial Care Counselor, Duke Family Medicine (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 2, 2018
Manager was terrible, did not know his/her job. stated to another co-worker that I was not polished enough to work in that clinic. Was treated different than others, overall a bad environment to work in.
Pros
8 hour days, no weekends
Cons
no breaks, 30 min lunches
Interesting
Pharmacy Technician I (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 31, 2017
Overall my team on second shift is wonderful. Everyone works together as a team to get the patient's needs done. I have learned so much as a person and as a pharmacy tech
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Over worked
Great place to work.
Staff Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 28, 2017
Great place to work. Nice people in the department that I worked in. My co-workers believed in teamwork. I would recommend Duke to anyone that is looking for a job.
ER Dept-- teamwork,
Registered Nurse Clinical II ER Dept (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 26, 2017
ER was very busy at times, most the time short handed had to carry more patients than comfortable with.
Change in management changed the overall dept outlook and the moral was very low when left.
Pros
Education learned alot from the experinces
Cons
at busy times no lunch or breaks.
Crazy
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 26, 2017
Manager does not lead well. The morale in office is not good amongst employees. Back stabbers and say one thing and do another.

Attitude toward employees not good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duke University. Our community is ready to answer.