Duke University Employee Reviews

Stable workplace, but lacks opportunitites for growth
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 27, 2017
Work is more stable than average. Limited opportunity for advancement/growth in non-clinical roles. Healthcare benefits are better than average. Salary is not as competitive as it could be, the trade off seems to be the healthcare coverage. There seems to be a lot of people in "camping" mode, meaning, they continue to remain in roles even though they are not performing well, and lack motivation or desire to move on.
Pros
stable work & healthcare benefits
Cons
lack of growth opportunities for persons in non-clinical roles
Great place for learning and furthering your career
RN (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 19, 2017
My unit was 8 hour shift
I learned a great deal of different skills from a university medical center.
management differs from unit to unit
culture is mostly positive
hardest part is the stress that accompanies caring for patients in acute situations.
great satisfaction caring for patients
Pros
great learning enviornment
Cons
stress
Great place to learn and improve career
Athletic Training Student Aide/Intern (Former Employee) –  Duke University, Durham, NCMarch 13, 2017
Worked with football team and was in charge with preparation and organization of football equipment for travel and home events. Also, preparation and prevention of injuries by ankle taping prevention and injury rehabilitation.
Pros
everything involved in football team prevention, preparation, and organization
Great
Paient Care Rep (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 13, 2017
Great place to work . Patients are down to earth and fun to be around. I would recommend people to come to duke for patient care. employee are a great team and they show caring
learning place
RN Staff (Former Employee) –  float poolMarch 7, 2017
a lot opportunities to learn in a big teaching hospital. a great collaborative teamwork with multidisciplinary teams. supportive management and nice environment.
Pros
nice work environment
Cons
expensive parking fee
Depending on your position...
Environmental Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 7, 2017
I was a housekeeper in the Environmental Services department. Most of the faculty/staff looked down on us and treated us as though we were the lowest in the hospital...even though NOBODY in the hospital could do their job without housekeepers. HOW CAN YOU WORK IN AN UNSANITARY ENVIRONMENT...AT A HOSPITAL... Job was not hard...the people made the job horrible. I loved my patients for they kept me there the 4 years that I was employed there.
Duke
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 6, 2017
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Health strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally
Staff is amazing.
Flexible Schedule
Great place to gain experience.
Research Specialist/ ELISPot Laboratory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 28, 2017
Duke University is a great place to start if you are newly graduating or looking for a career change. It gives the applicant the chance to dive directly into a new profession with guidance from experienced individuals. It is also a great place to continue a long term career. The atmosphere at Duke is always full of energy.
Great
Clinical Experience (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 21, 2017
I am a student here, and I love the school. I would absolutely love to work for their hospital one day as well. I would reccomend.
Working At Duke Hospital
PSA (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 21, 2017
Working at Duke Hospital in Durham, NC was great. Met a lot of people from all over the world and made good friends that will last a lifetime. Working a typical day was hard, busy and rewarding once you helped someone overcome or deal with the news they have gotten and they give you a hug. Management on the other hand, depending on who/which department varies...you have some that wants to do right by everyone on the team and then you have the ones that take your ideas and use them and get credit for your work. Over all, I still would not have changed my mind for working at this place and I wish I was still there, but on to bigger and better opportunities.
Benefits
Cons
employees pay for parking
Fantastic University
Duke Assistant Sprints and Jumps Coach (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 20, 2017
Duke is a fantastic university that is in the top tier of both academic and athletic success and prestige. It is a pleasure to be part of the university and to add to the upward momentum it is building.
not
Patient Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 18, 2017
nice place to work if your starting out allot of locations and it has great benefits it's a great place to work but the people there can make it tough
benefits
Cons
low pay
Strong organization
Patient Service Associate- Clinic 1D (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 18, 2017
Lots of continuing education classes, job advancement. Very supportive. Job security. Very awesome benefits, yearly pay raises. Empathetic,working managers, open door policy
Fellow students are your best support
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 16, 2017
As with many other places, Duke provides decent stipend to its graduate students. But the overall location of the university makes it more than enough to cover the living expense (depending on what departments you are working with). In terms of life-style...Well, it's graduate school. so don't expect too much. At the end of the day, your friends and colleagues are your best bet to vent your frustration.
Pros
Decent Stipend
Cons
Location (but it's on the rise)
A great place to work.
Infection Prevention Nurse (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 15, 2017
Very knowledgeable nurses and physicians. Employees are able to contribute knowledge and work with physicians. A great place to work, contribute and learn.
Great work experience
Clinical Nurse II, Operating Room, RN, Full Time (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 10, 2017
Excellent environment to gain skills and work experience in a large level one hospital. Plenty of opportunity to pursue individual work interests and climb the clinical ladder.
Benefits
Great Place
Graduate Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 8, 2017
Duke University Hospital is a great place to work for - especially in administration. Loved it. Leadership has a clear vision.
Great if you're faculty. Treated like peons and paid like it if not.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  UniversityFebruary 6, 2017
Never think that you're in a free environment, unless you're faculty. The staff is treated in surprisingly lowly ways.
Pros
Benefits okay.
Cons
Pay lousy.
Great Co
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 31, 2017
great company to work for. Excited about the possibility of joining a new company and relocating to another state. Great work atmosphere and work culture.
Benefits are great, salary could be better
Dietitian (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 31, 2017
Working at Duke is rewarding. There are great minds developing research ideas to better understand health and the body. The benefits are wonderful, but the salary is a bit lower than some competitors. Overall I am very satisfied working at Duke.
Pros
Stimulating work environment
Cons
Low salaries

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duke University. Our community is ready to answer.

Duke University Reviews by Location