Duke University

Duke University Employee Reviews

It's not knows as "The Plantation" for nothing
Financial Analyst II (Current Employee) –  NCMarch 24, 2014
A typical day at work: Doing my job and going home. Little to no interaction with coworkers, because they were all depressed about being there.

What I learned: Duke isn't such a great place to work (at least not in my department). At least I got to hone my Excel skills. It's hard to move to another department if you don't know someone already there.

Management: Duke is well-known in the area as being a good employer, but it isn't all it's cracked up to be. Managers are backstabbers and utilize retaliation whenever possible. Minorities are only allowed to go but so high, then they're held back. Departments are notorious for only hiring Caucasian males, yet nothing is done to encourage diversity. The only benefit Duke has going for it is the Child Tuition Assistance. Otherwise, they don't offer anything any other employer doesn't offer. Duke will say they pay the same as the market, but they don't. They pay at least $10,000 less than the market, depending on the job. The market comparisons they do compare their salary and benefits to other companies salaries. They want to retain new talent, but that's near impossible when young people are exposed to favoritism, backstabbing supervisors, retaliation and low pay. If Duke wants to retain younger workers, the current management needs to be gutted. Having middle-aged Caucasian males in positions of power is counterproductive, because they will only hire Caucasian males, and the occasional Caucasian female, if they need a minority. Take complaints seriously. Stop letting managers reorganize departments without having to TELL the people
  more... they will be leaving. That sneakiness breeds mistrust and low employee morale. Pay attention to miserable employees, because in their misery, they're telling the truth.

Coworkers: For the most part they were okay. I stayed to myself, because managers encouraged backstabbing behavior. As such, a coworker would throw anyone under the bus to save him/herself.

The hardest part of the job: Going to work everyday and keeping it exciting. It can get boring rather quickly.

The most enjoyable part of the job: I met a couple of really wonderful people I'll keep in touch with. They didn't subscribe to the backstabbing mentality encouraged by management.
Pros
child tuition assistance.
Cons
good ol' boys mentality, minorities aren't promoted as often or as high as caucasians, pay is lower than the market, managers have too much leeway to get rid of good employees because they don't like them, it's hard to move to another department unless you know someone who works there.
Working in the Emergency Department was a positve experience for me because of department activities and positive attitudes among employees and staff
Financial Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 22, 2013
I worked in the emergency department and almost every day was filled with excitement, drama and tragic situations. I loved interacting with individuals and their family members. I found that you can learn something of significance from any and everyone. When you treat people like you really care about them instead of a statistic, they are much more likely to co-operate and feel relaxed. When you treat them with respect when they are upset and not react with a negative respone or attitude the situation will be de-escalated more quickly. The hardest part of my job was when a person or their family member expired. I definitely didn't condone gossip in the work place. The best part of my job was making sure the customer were satisfied and trying to put a smile on their faces, if possible, as well as fellow employees. I absolutely believe in being a team player. This is necessary for a productive work environment.
Duke is an institution that provides programs to promote better physical and mental health for you and your family members. The make sure you receive reasonable breaks to relieve stress and your physical well being. Every five years you recognized for your dedication to job. For the most part, it was a fairly good place to work because we always tried to be supportive of each other if we could be.
Pros
free lunch is a plus, but i can provide my own lunch.
Cons
i think brief breaks are helpful, especially if you are stressed or have a physical disability.
Excellent Place to Work
Central Control Operator Senior (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 19, 2015
I've been with Duke for over 18 years. In that time I've learned a few life skills. I started when I was 18 fresh out of college so I was green to a real working career. I learned the value of responsibility, and saw the fruits of having a good work ethic. My typical day at work is mostly spent behind a desk monitoring life safety systems, and building systems to ensure proper functionality. The management team here is second to none. We all work towards a common goal, which is getting things done as quickly, safely and as minimally invasive as possible. I've seen a lot of people come and go over the years some from natural retirement others under less favorable conditions but each one has touched my life and I hope have been touched by my presence in a positive way.I would have to say the most difficult part of the job is realizing the sheer magnitude of what you are doing and how what you do affects so many others around you and keeping that in perspective. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the people I work with. After 18+ years I would have to say the bonds and friendships formed here will last well past the time spent as an employee here.
Pros
Employee Recognition Events
Cons
Paying to park at your job place has always been a downer for me
very produtive place to work, great place to walk during breaks
Nursing Care Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Durham NCAugust 9, 2013
a typical day at duke is very busy . Patient care is very high in demand
and the number one priorty for this hospital. I learned how to assist Nurse and Doctors in patient care from surgery to in house to assisting patients to going home. When i work in the post -op and preop area i learn alot about getting patient ready for surgery by assiting the nurse with vitals and weights and helping the patient with changing their clothes to assiting the family with where they will go until their love one surgery was over. pre- op is recovery area where the patient would come after surgery my job there was to help hook patient up for vitals and assits the nurse with making the patient is comfortable and ready to see family. I also assist nurse with getting patient ready to go home or moving the patient to a room for a hospital stay until Doctor decide on discharge. I enjoyed helping the staff make each patient visit as smooth as possible . I love helping people and knowing I done my best. The part I love the most is when patient are feeling good about the care the received that day and through out there stay at Duke,and the staff worked hard together to make it happen , That's when my job was the most enjoyable at Duke . Duke is a Number One Trauma Center for patient care......
Pros
occassionally my boss would buy lunch for the staff, and the surgens would always serve thanks giving dinner to the or staff which was always great ...
Cons
great insurance i ever had, great place to workout they provide gym memebership with payroll deduction
Great place to learn and serve as a springboard, just remember your worth.
Research Assistant/Data Tech (Former Employee) –  North Carolina Mutual BuildingMarch 6, 2013
I moved out of state to come to Duke and overall was not disappointed. Granted, I was not to jazzed at making 9k less than agreed upon prior to coming, especially considering the fact that I had just received my second raise in seven months at my previous job. Nevertheless, I learned a priceless lesson from that. Put it on paper! My typical day at work was pleasant and included contacting and recruiting patients. The hardest part of the job was not being able to always recruit as quickly as possible and trying to devise the best compensation plan possible for subjects and delivering as quickly as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining access to all Duke had to offer. The bus pass provided by the University really helped in reducing my transport costs and being able to gain greater success in my job function by being able to be more flexible for my patients by not having to worry about parking. The workout facilities were world class too. Now that I work for another company, I definitely wish I would have taken greater advantage of all they had to offer.
Pros
benefits such as a bus pass and super reasonable access to workout facilities are very helpful.
Cons
with a juggernaut of a reputation, duke does not have to compensate at market value always to recruit and retain top talent.
Not as organized as an institution this old and respected should be
ANCII for PDC (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 20, 2015
Everything at Duke takes too long to happen, needs too many peoples' input, and is often totally inadequate by the time it is initiated. The people who actually do the job are seldom consulted (or at least listened to) on changes that effect them.
My immediate manager was great, but she had too many layers above her who had to approve everything, so things never got done. It's unfortunate too, because good people don't stay due to the frustration.
There's also confusion since different management structures and work conditions effect people working in close contact because of the fragmenting of entities within Duke University Health System. Everything is specific to your division, and there are no clear guidelines to the divisions and why they are different
Duke has many of the best physicians and services in the country, but for the common worker, it is a frustrating place to work. On the other hand, you will get some of the most comprehensive experiences anywhere, and good people can really shine.
Pros
job security
Cons
depends on which entity and department you work for
Trading competitive compensation for opportunity to gain experience for
Clinical Trial Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 5, 2012
Duke is all about who you know. I was lucky enough to be closely associated with many heads of departments and as a result of that, I was given the freedom to explore my interests and gain experiences outside of my job description. Based on conversations with other groups within Duke, my experience is somewhat unique, but not unheard of. Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too, and the salaries within the Duke system and 30-40% less than they are in the private sector. Additionally, Duke is a very political organization. This may a direct result of the elitist attitudes commonly associated with top ranked private schools. However, it may also be a consequence of all of the physicians also being faculty in the School of Medicine. A number of ventures that I was directly involved with were hampered by individual co-investigator's pursuing their own agenda's rather than focusing on the success of the project.
Pros
opportunities to gain experience, great benefits
Cons
uncompetitive salary, political interests hamper success of projects
Informative workplace and excellent learning opportunity
Media Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 13, 2014
Working at Duke University School of Nursing was the best job I have worked at. It was an excellent learning opportunity and I developed my skills even more by working there. In the morning, I worked on news stories for the web page. I've worked with shipping and mailing items for events. I have also took pictures at these events for the school's website. I've organized faculty information for the school's website. While already having strong Microsoft Office Skills, I was able to develop a even stronger one with Microsoft Publisher for making flyers. The hardest part of the job was learning how to develop the web page that marketable, but once I mastered what the buyer was looking for it was not difficult anymore. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting up with my co-workers to plan out our week and what is due. We was able to form great partnerships and work as a team to get things done on time. My supervisor was also very helpful and assisted new story ideas.
Pros
productivity, experience
Great workplace
Administrative Clerk/Health Unit Coord. (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 17, 2015
My work day would start at 7am, first checking in with the central staffing depth (Float Pool)to determine my assignment for the work day. If I would be working as a Nursing assistant or a Unit Clerk! Then I would go to my assigned work unit, Check in and follow up with a report from the off going staff, if it's a Unit clerk or a CNA. Next, rounding on patients, Getting any updates from the Charge nurse, documenting all work into the Epic-electronic medical chart. Assisting other co-workers-providing team work as needed. Also I would say the hardest part of the job is the beginning of the shift & end during shift change! But the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing I had put a smile on a patient or helped them complete a task they struggled with. Being there helping means the MOST & puts a bigger smile on my face at the end of each work day...
Pros
health benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
pay
Job Positions and co-workers are very supportive of one another.
MEDICAL CODER II (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 17, 2013
Coding for two different Hospital Emergency Departments made this position very challenging. There was always work to be done and the challenge of keeping the productivity and quality up to and above standard definitely kept all of us ED coders on our toes. Overtime was always available and sometimes mandatory. Most enjoyable part was keeping the Physicians educated and up to date on any changes or documentation needs. The Physicians were always very receptable to anything that we suggested that would help them with thier documentation. Hardest part of this job was that one of the Emergency Departments used T-Sheets with the Porviders hand written documentation, at times they were very difficult to read. Very good work culture with this company, but the turnover rate seems high (four within three years) with supervisor postitions within this division (PRMO) of the Duke University Health System.

Want to know more about Duke University?

Ask a question
Managed all aspects of projects through conception, planning, implementation and completion phases.
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 13, 2013
A typical day at Duke University involved various meeting to discuss project status updates, expected deliverables and unforeseen issues on current projects. Other duties included management of IT System and customer support on an as-needed basis. The hardest part of the job was the many hats that had to be worn at any one time due to small team and budget constraints. The most enjoyable part of the job was bringing a project to completion and having a satisfied customer. The environment was very team oriented and collaborative. I learned to work well with others, great time management and how to overcome adversity when projects didn't go as planned. Management was generally supportive and easy to work with.
Pros
team environment; great location to live, work, play; ability to continue to learn
Cons
salary traded off for job security; advancement based on tenure not performance
Hired one day, reorg announced the next, no support at all
Former employee (Former Employee) –  DurhamAugust 11, 2012
A complete top-down reorg was announced literally the second day I worked there. My co-workers did a 180 and refused to help me with anything. They were snappish and irritable, had plenty of time to organize social events but "no time" to answer my questions. My boss knew this and told me it was up to me to get the answers. During the interview process I asked them to be very sure they wanted me, because I already had a permanent job but being older, I wanted to be sure I was getting a permanent job too. I was let go at the end of probation because I couldn't get any results. That was a year ago and I'm still jobless. I see that job posted every 90 days or so, but I'm still so angry at what they did to me. Thanks, Duke!
Pros
not in a bad part of durham
Cons
reorg deliberately not mentioned in interview

Comment – August 31, 2012

was this reviewer in the pastoral care department as an employee or a different department at the medical center ? needs clarification.

Comment – September 27, 2012

Be sure and have a backup offer if you accept theirs. You may need it the next day. Seriously, GET A CONTRACT that protects you, especially if you're leaving a perm job to take this "perm" job like others have done...because the job is offered about every 90 days or so. My predecessor didn't last 90 days either, as I found out too late. Either they're hiring the wrong people or....what, it's always the individual's shortcomings? Why doesn't HR step in - is it job security for them to always be processing new hires and UE claims?

Comment – October 4, 2012

Don't know why it didn't post last time. This was at Duke Health Systems Technology in Durham.

Love the Happy faces when a customer is enjoying my food.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 14, 2015
Duke is a very good place to learn the different dietary foods. I started working for patient services in August of 2014 and I've learned so much. Knowing how to convert recipe's and do a daily temperature logs sheet. Recently (5 months) I've relocated to the Atrium where I cook food for the public from thought. Cooking for the people, I've been learning how to cook enough to hold food for up to four hours, paying attention to what the people love. For example Duke hospital has a lot of elderly people that eats in the cafeteria. Mostly people do not like a lot of salt, spicy foods and not a lot of pork eaters. Everyday we have something different for lunch and dinner and the varieties of the food they love the freshness.
Pros
Meeting new people, getting close to the patients families who come everyday, compliments.
Cons
unpaid lunch, low pay rate
Great place to get the experience when you are a new graduate
Hand Hygeine Auditor- Infection Prevention (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 28, 2014
My job at Duke is a little off the beaten path. I graduated from college in May 2013. This position was the only interview I had. Its a part time position. My official job title is Medical Assistant/ Hand Hygiene Auditor. I go around Duke Hospital to inpatient and outpatient units that are assigned to make sure all staff members that are involved in patient contact are washing their hands. I absolutely love it because my co-workers are the best! They are very encouraging and willing to give constructive criticism when needed. My degree is in community/public health so this job has allowed me to see other health care fields that you can't normally see. I don't really have any complaints just wish it was a full time position.
It was a good job to have.
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 27, 2015
Started work in the A.M. by getting the postal machine and desk top turned on. I would go through the parcels that I had for shipping and pick out the ones that had the Next Day Air Priority and the ones that needed special freight carriers for pick up. I worked closely with UPS, Federal Express, and other Over The Road Carriers. I talked to customers about the best way I thought they should ship their packages and helped them fill out the shipping request when necessary. I learned a lot about different shipping carriers and Federal Shipping regulations. I was not bothered by management or other co-workers because no one else knew how to do my job. The job was not hard just demanding because of the sensitivity of some shipments. The enjoyable part was that I had a very good work environment.
Pros
Good work environment.
Cons
Had to use elevator to get to dock.
Attend Senior Leadership meetings, resolve any daily issues, strategize and develop new avenues for business
Director, Operations (Clincal Research) (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 30, 2013
My typical day starts with ensuring the staff are positive and I an seen and visable. I answer any urgent messages, attend senior leadership meetings, and stratgize new ways to increase business portfoilo.

I enjoy my co-workers and enjoy our brainstorming session. The hardiest part of my job is finding enough time to assist my Assistant Directors with mentoring and training of staff. The most enjoyable is coming up with new and exciting stratgies to move the business forward and remain competitive. Additionally, designing new technologies for work flow solutions. What I have learned at DCRI is that academic research organizations are highly motivated educational research entities and they strive to deliver high quality patient care and innovative research opportunities.
Pros
enjoy my cross functional relationships
Cons
limited growth opportunities
A very good place to advance my skills and learn new things.
Patient Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Durham, ncApril 12, 2012
A typical day at work would start off my getting the baby list and see which ones I have to get a authorization for. Then I will look at the patients that were admitted and verify their insurance and call their insurance company if an authorization was needed. I would right everything that I learned so ther PRM's can see what they needed to do. Therer were no hard parts to my job because everything I did was done repeted daily. When a problem arised I spoke to a nurse or my supervisor about how to rectify the problem. I enjoy my job especially when I helped the parents that were worried about their kids. When I recieved an authorization for the patiens stay the parents no longer had to worry anymore.
Pros
discounts at alot of places
Cons
workers were not listened to
Duke Health System - the good and the bad
Director Clinical Staffing (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 21, 2015
I have worked for Duke University Health System for 10 years serving in 3 different roles.
In all three positions, there have been very positive experiences. The downside is that because it is such a complex system consistencies in processes and resources are hard to pin down.
In addition, they expect a very high level of performance without necessarily providing commensurate compensation.
I had a colleague once share with me that Duke feels that a good many staff come to Duke to get the name on their resume.
Because of that, they work the employees extremely hard knowing that they will most likely leave.
I"m not sure that is the case in all instances but it certainly is an interesting take.
Pros
available resources for continuing education, clinical support
Cons
pay, stress level, work life balance not necessarily there
Upper Management decision making is poor
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 5, 2015
Duke does offer flexibility for working from home and will move you into positions without offering other alternatives, even if you have no prior experience for the job you are moving into...Duke's management is always right and does not allow the employees to be involved in any decision making. Duke makes bad choices when it comes to bad weather. In one instance, the entire parking lot for PRMO was covered in ice and employees were responsible for coming into work. A pregnant woman fell in the parking lot and had to go to the emergency room. Duke gave her an occurrence (missed day without prior notice) and did not pay worker's compensation because the parking lot was leased and was not Duke property.
Pros
Salary and benefits are great
Cons
Decision making never involves employee opinion
Duke Hospital is a typical hard working business
Nursing Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 14, 2014
Work days are just that, long, hard and fast. Patients are admitted, discharged, going to and from ICU all day long. I learned that there isn't much difference between a long term care facility and a patient care unit in the hospital. The hardest part of the job is trying to keep everyone involved satisfied (nursing staff, management, family members, co-workers, and especially the patients). Also It is hard seeing someone you already know, who's sick and you personally can;t help them, but you can offer them ways to helpthem take their minds off the illness, such as a bath of something to eat or drink.
Pros
off 4 days per week.
Cons
quick or no lunch breaks.