Dunbar Armored Employee Reviews in United States

Dunbar is a revolving door.
Warehouse Manager/Vault Manager (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJuly 13, 2016
This is a terrible place to work. Your personal safety means nothing to the higher ups. They put you on routes with very badly maintained trucks and often with even worse drivers. Training is non existent. They offer no personal defense training. Your only firearm training is taking you to a range with a box of ammo to see if you can hit a stationary paper target. After that they don't even care if you ever practice with your firearm again except to qualify when you renew your license.

Most people that work there don't even know how to maintain a firearm or use one effectively. I worked there for almost 10 years and I can't tell you how many times I would run across people that left their pistols in the holsters so long they rusted all up to the point they were barely functional....if they were lucky. And they have those people watching your back.

Management is mean and vindictive. Don't you dare be ill or injured because one way or another they will get back at you for missing a day or two of work even if you have a letter from your doctor. Once you call out sick don't expect to get more than 3 days on the schedule for the next few weeks. If you live paycheck to paycheck like most Dunbar Employees, and management knows it, they will make you hurt financially just to make a point.

The pay is rather low for what you are expected to do. Being a messenger on a truck or vault personnel, especially in a coin operation, you are literally breaking your back for Dunbar. They don't pay you nearly enough. The constant threats to your job by management doesn't
  more... make it any easier either. The favorite tag line I always heard them tell people is, "we can replace you tomorrow" and "we can have several people pulled from other nearby branches to fill empty slots while we hire your replacements". Never once would they ask you if there was a reason for a slow down at work or some kind of issue that prevented you from doing something quickly they would instead just threaten you and tell you to "get it done".

Stay away from this place. If you are in the unfortunate position I was when Dunbar bought out the company you were working for then I feel for you. Try to escape as soon as possible. If you are considering working for this place I would advise you to look elsewhere. Your life will be put at risk and your reward as a new employee will be 10.50 an hour and nobody to back you up. You'd be better off delivering pizza's.
Pros
none that I can think of
Cons
low pay, no respect from management, potentially very dangerous work
Can make good money but not lately
Driver/Guard (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77055July 8, 2016
I have been here for a little over a year and still struggle to make my bills every month. The upper management is great on the corporate side, however the operations side leave much to be desired. They will lye to your face and promise you everything and give you nothing .
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
no set scheduale
Worst company to work for. New London CT
Driver/Guard (Former Employee) –  New London, CTJuly 6, 2016
This was the worst job experience of my life. This is how the job is broken down.

You are a warehouse worker with a gun. That's really about it. If you work nights, you will spend the majority of the night lifting heavy bags. On top of that, you will be micromanaged by Dunbar dummies. The overtime is mandatory. You do not leave until the job is done. 99% of the time, you will be there close to 2am. If you work days, You will spend it working by either driving or hopping, from one location to the other. And yes, all for $12 an hour. They DO NOT supply you with a bullet proof vest. They do however give you around $300 to purchase one yourself. The vests that you will need cost close to $1000 dollars. So you are spending around $700 out of your own pocket.

The managers are horrible. There is a lot of favoritism. If you are not a Freemason, you are considered dirt. The shuttle drivers get the worst of it. Lots of BS that goes into this job. Most of their trucks require heavy maintenance. A lot brake down. Some don't even have A/C and on hot days, it can get ridiculous. Especially since the windows don't go down.

It's slave labor and not worth your time or life.

Look for something else.
Pros
Cons
LOTS! Read the comment.
N/a
Driver/Guard (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2016
Do not have an review about this Company. The company it a good place to work. Good place to learn new things and meet new people.
fun place to work
Driver/Guard (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 27, 2016
fast pace good tips good hours exciting place to work customer services no more then 60 miles per. shift new buses the pay isn't that good
Lots of favortism in Departments, Lack of communication through out management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 25, 2016
The employees u will encounter are nice, but the management are all at odds with one another. They talk behind each others back and ask you the employee to pick sides. They all try to throw one anpther under the bus. U will often find assignments that don't fall under your job duties asked of you on a consistent basis. Pay isn't very competitive when you add in the responsibilitiy of being an armed officer. Be advised favortism runs rampant in various departments
Pros
Small building, Closed On Weekends
Cons
LOW PAY for position, Management at odds with one another
all work and no play.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Valley View, OHJune 24, 2016
I really did enjoy working for Dunbar some of the best people I have ever met. However I am looking for a career change in my life and would like to make a bit more money.
Pros
lots of over time
Cons
Not enough money
Dunbar Armored
Driver/Guard (Former Employee) –  Kenilworth, NJJune 16, 2016
Not compliant with DOT/FMCSA regulations pertaining to Hours of Service Rules for Commercial Vehicles over 10,001 lbs carrying property.
Pros
Lot of available hours due to numerous call outs.
Cons
No log books for vehicles; Ignorant of 10 and 11 hr rules; Routes over 100 total miles
Great learning experience
Armored Guard (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CAJune 15, 2016
Transportation of large amounts of valuables.
I learned that integrity is very important in every job.
I really enjoyed working with management for the fact that they would give great advice and problems solving mentors.
Great trustworthy coworkers that i enjoyed working with on a daily basis.
Not being aware of the dangers i face every day i walk in to work.
Having a new experience every day.
Don't ever apply
Driver/guard/ crew chief (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 13, 2016
The worst (Charlotte)they mistreat you no safety for their workers unorganized managers Von and Ryan never seen some heartless people like them God will repay
Pros
Protect Dunbars money
Cons
No protection for your life and under pay
Competitive pay and u carry a firearm
Driver-Guard/FT (Current Employee) –  Beltsville, MDJune 3, 2016
Wake up put on your uniform pant and shirt company provides short or long sleeve clock in with time card get ur truck prepared for ur route and before leaving the bay via walkie talkie check in with route and head out after correspondence. I learned how to drive a 22,000 pound vehicle without a cdl license requirement which I thought was pretty cool. I also learned how to shoot a gun. Management could have been a better experience for me one of which of my managers was out of hand and would be very disrespectful. There was one co-worker I really didn't see eye to eye with but other than that I have no real problems with anyone. The hardest part of the job nothing really but keeping your eyes open and alert constantly watching your surroundings sometime can become a strain. The most enjoyable part of the job is driving their trucks.
Pros
free lunch, discounts
Cons
no steady income
Not Good
Armed Guard (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTMay 30, 2016
12 bucks an hour and you could be shot and killed. Not worth it. Most people work there to become cops or something but the job sucks.
Pros
you wear a gun
Cons
you dont get paided
great experance
drver/guard (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTMay 25, 2016
safeguarding valuables I learned how to be ware of my surroundings heavy lifting best part is providing superior customer service
Pros
traning
Cons
heavy lifting
Run for the hills stay away from Dunbar of Clearwater
Cash Vault Teller (Former Employee) –  CLEARWATER, FLMay 21, 2016
Good steady work is not part-time hours you work full time / overtime, no fulltime benefits. Management is terrible. There where times I felt bullied because I spoke out about the unfair work load for some and not others. One of the lead teller, the secretary, and another worker from the vault would make turkey noises and would say it was an employee and laugh. They're always making mistakes and having to stay later, because they don't concentrate on what they need to do. Causing the vault constantly to be off. It'sad to see grown adults acting like children . The management lets this go on, it's sad that he can't control the people that work under him . The girl in the booth next to mine had hardly any production and would sit around taking her time with each deposit, while the rest of us work hard and fast to get the deposits done for the day. The true fact is if you want to be busy all day long and have your work day go by quickly it is an awesome place to work, but you have to deal with all the drama that goes on there and it makes it the worst place to work. there's nobody to stand up for you, not even human resources they go along with management. If they would get rid of the drama makers I would have been an good Job.
Pros
(Some) really good co workers
Cons
The slackers, Drama
What you make it
Driver/Guard ATM Technician (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAMay 18, 2016
Not to much overhead which is good, not made for people with family, high turnover rate. A lot of over-time. Drive safe and be aware.
Pros
All the over-time you need
Cons
Company doesnt invest in its employees
productive
Guard/Driver security (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2016
good flexible job to work at and some benefits that were moderate. management was good. Not difficult you drive and you deliver and pick up valuables, pretty simple job.
Just a job
Driver/Guard/ATM Technician (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GAMay 1, 2016
Just a job that pays the bill. A typical day is not knowing what route you will truly being doing. Dealing with a truck that may or may not start up. Yet the different obstacles that try to sabotage your day you come out of the experience learning to go with the flow. Dont let the bad get to you. Some co workers are good people while others are undesirable to work with. The most enjoyable part is the ability to be out in the open and not have somebody looking over your shoulder.
Pros
straight time pay from the time you punch in
Cons
dangerous, pay is low
good place to work
Workers Compensation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDMay 1, 2016
It is a good place to work, it is a family owned company. I handle all the incoming first reports of injury, and if it is medical only will handle until the file is closed. I create the certificates of liability and cargo certificates. I also handle the medial only Subrogation cases. Answer questions concerning the claims, contact doctors to get work slips and medical transcripts.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
none, want to move back to North Caroline (Southport area)
If you enjoy hours cut and low work here
Driver/Guard (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 29, 2016
Started off great then slowly got worse. A lot of favoritism. Call out one day the next week you work 3-4 days. No proper training. Management doesn't work with you even if you're military if it doesn't benefit them they don't care. 95% of the trucks brake down. They say one thing and do the other
Pros
Travel and meet new people which can lead to a better job
Cons
LOW PAY! Hours cut not guaranteed 40 hours, no real training, bad management
Potential??
Driver Guard/ATM Tech (Current Employee) –  MinneapolisApril 27, 2016
If you can handle no overtime and constant personnel turnover then go for it. Training program could be better. Equipment needs upgrading. The complaining among the leadership needs to end.

2.6