Duncan and Son Lines Employee Reviews

HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZMay 24, 2017
The company offers Excellent Hours for work, weekends off to spend time with my family. The company offers plenty of room for advancement, you can always expand your knowledge to other departments. You are always busy never bored, they are Family Oriented, have a Spirit Team which is always planning activities for employees and their families such as Company Events like Driver Parties or random acts of kindness. Both employees and clients are treated with professionalism. Duncan is always open to suggestions on how to improve and make things more efficient and a better work place.
Family Owned Company And A Great Place To Work!
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZMay 9, 2017
Duncan and Son Lines is a great company to work for. Duncan provides great customer service and appreciate their drivers and employees. This company throws various events for their drivers and employees, Which is a great way to get to know everyone and have some fun! Overall good work environment, awesome people, Friendly drivers and a great management team!
Pros
Room for advancement, Great people, Good work hours
Cons
Costly Health Insurance
Excellent work schedule and fun place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZMay 8, 2017
My typical day at work starts at 8:00 am, which works great for me because it gives me time to drop off my kids at school. I get out at 5:00 pm so that gives me time to get home and prepare dinner. I love the schedule i have here at Duncan and Son Lines. One of the many things i like from Duncan and Son Lines is my co-workers and managers. We all work together as a team to be a productive company. I like the open door policy which gives you an opportunity to discuss or give your opinion on any concerns or questions you might have. On a given day i receive lots of calls from drivers, customers and providers which means that i'm on the phone most of the day. What i learned from this job position is to interact more with people and to be a little less shy. I'm a shy person when it comes to talking in public or in front of people that i really don't know very well.I think one of the hardest thing for me that i do here in Duncan and Son Lines is speaking over the intercom, but i'm working on that.
Pros
Work schedule Mon-Fri
Room to learn and grow
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZApril 24, 2017
The Duncan family and managers seem to really care about the drivers and staff.

There is a lot of change (process changes and customer/industry changes), so people who are flexible and creative do best. Also, you have to understand and respond well to urgent/stressful situations...it's just the nature of trucking.

Intermodal is a hard industry to learn, and so most training is hands on, but there is a lot of support from managers and peers. The training programs have improved quite a bit over the last few years, and the managers let you know its ok to try something new and fail a couple of times because we're all human.

The pay is pretty good, especially considering the commute. It would be nice if the health insurance was less expensive, but it's pretty much in line with other trucking companies.

Almost all the managers and people in lead positions have been around for several years and have been promoted from within, so the company seems stable and the opportunity for growth is real.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Commute, The People
Cons
Can be Stressful At Times
A family owned trucking company with an awesome culture
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZNovember 7, 2016
Duncan and Son Lines is a great company! Though the work is very fast paced (regardless of the area you are in), the culture is amazing! I had previously worked for two Fortune 100 companies with much bigger budgets and staff than we have here but didn't see anywhere near the care and commitment to the employees like I've seen at Duncan. Employees are family... not just a number. They are some of the best people I've ever worked with. There are several employee who have been with the company for more than 10 years which tells you they are doing something right.

For the most part, the management staff does a good job of communicating expectations, investing in employee growth, and recognizing positive performance. They had been paying a little below market value in previous years but are quickly closing the gap. They offer paid vacations and holidays after 90 days along with matching 401k and a wide variety of other benefits. They also do a lot of cookouts, ball games, onsite events, parties, and "random acts of fun" which help to keep morale high.

The one downside is the cost of their medical insurance. That said, it's still less expensive than going out to the marketplace exchange in many cases... especially for those individuals with children and families.
Pros
Culture, Spirit Team, monthly employee functions and outings, family environment, recognition and appreciation, communication, and job security
Cons
The cost of health insurance.
They need better training and better management.
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZJune 6, 2016
My training was poor. Thrown into the work with not enough knowledge of what was expected. The Operations Manager needs training on how to manage without micro-managing.
Official response from Duncan and Son Lines
February 17, 2017

We sincerely appreciate this feedback. We are continuing to strive to improve our training for employees and management.

Family Based Diesel Company
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZJanuary 26, 2015
This trucking company showed me my path to a brighter future its the main reason why I'm attending school at Arizona Automotive Institute, to become a diesel mechanic. They are completely based on treating other employees as if they were family. The Duncan family sure made a great choice in opening up there family owned business.
Pros
Wonderful Faculty
Cons
Not enough hours.
High stressed environment
Import Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZDecember 2, 2014
Difficult to plan your work day. You absolutely must be able to multitask and understand that not everything is going to be accomplished by the end of your shift. I've learned that drivers are the key holders to a trucking company. Without them, freight does not move.
Pros
Great Bonus
Cons
A lot of hours
Dictator runs the company
Former driver (Former Employee) –  Buckeye,AzApril 23, 2013
Manages by fear. Trucks are always breaking down. Benefits are the worst I have ever seen. Encourages drivers to falsify logs. back solicits customers. tries to cheat outside carriers. Worst company I have ever been with.
Cons
too numerous to mention
Great place to work.
Controller/CFO (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 25, 2013
Grew with Company from 16 employees to 175, in terms of money from $1.5M to $36M annualy. Great place to grow and cultivate management skills. Low staff turnover, high level of company loyalty.
Pros
home cooked managers luncheon daily.
Cons
due to trucking industry requirements few benefits provided
Official response from Duncan and Son Lines
March 14, 2017

Since this posting, benefits have been added for all full time employees to include:
- medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, term and AD&D life insurance, cancer, critical illness, accident, and others
- six paid holidays per year
- 401k that is company matched
- paid sick and vacation time
- an employee assistance plan
- an employee in critical need trust fund
- company paid life and AD&D coverage
- an active Spirit Team
...and much more!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duncan and Son Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

Duncan and Son Lines Reviews by Location