Dunelm Mill

Dunelm Mill Employer Reviews

Don't bother. Honestly!
Customer Service/ Till staff (Current Employee), LiverpoolJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: none.
Cons: massive staff overhaul, long hours, job insecurity on whim, no room for error.
Being rushed off your feet to do everyone else's job.
Management are bully's; get you to do the jobs that they can't manage to do, although the results are unattainable.
Assistant managers are sack you if your face doesn't fit.
70 staff taken on for setup. 34 sacked by the end of a week, not keeping a promise to keep them on for a minimum of 3 months.
Team – more... leaders are mainly nice people, but management make the job unbearable. Look for a job elsewhere, or make it a short stop while you search for something else because this place is NOT the place to have a long time career. – less
Poor
Customer service (Current Employee), AshtonDecember 28, 2013
Pros: nice and warm
Cons: management
Worked there recently , poor training , poor management , will use you and then drop you at the drop of a hat , if the store not doing as well as expected you will lose hours , will give you unreasonable shifts , your expected to do extra after your shift finished , they pull there face if you leave at your stated shift finishing time , but your co – more... workers are great to work with – less
'There's no place like Dunelm' -- Too right there's not -- New Ashton-under-Lyne store (Previous Employee)
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Ashton-under-LyneDecember 27, 2013
This company provides employees with Customer first training. Not a single member of management gave two hoots whether customers existed or not. They can barely manage a simple smile towards customers. This is more than staff get from them. I never saw a smile from the store manager, less from the assistant managers. Theres the general unhappy atmosphere – more... amongst staff and the managers dont seem to care about employee job satisfaction at all.
On a different note, some of the stock is overpriced rubbish that looks like its been made by toddlers...
There is more but im wasting no more time on this company. The only good thing I can say about this is that having experience at Dunelm on my CV will look good as they are a well respected company. – less
poor management ie store manager and operations manager at ashton under lyne
sales assistant (Former Employee), ashton under lyneDecember 12, 2013
Store manager rude and DOESNT communicate to people with no people or man management skills, operations manager where to begin should never be a manager rude and another with non people skills it look like if your face fits you progress and as favourites which no manager of any description should have, expect you to do hundred tasks in a extremely unrealistic – more... time scales, its not a customer service role as is describe in the beginning, all looks good at the beginning with customer first training which is a waste of time because they task you every second of your shift, so don't get that customer first training they want.
They would like you to do more hours then contract to do like ten mins here and 30 mins here without pay at the end of your shift when its dark nights you got love ones picking you up and buses to catch so you not walking the street on your own, do they care management not a tall. one of the worst jobs there is out there would not recommend anybody to work for them.
what I have said that the tip of the iceberg so be warned. – less
A terrible company to work for! 2 years service (manager)
Operations manager (Former Employee), dunelmOctober 21, 2013
Cons: this company will take 10 years off your life expectancy ! be warned
After 2 years being worked to the bone I have now left the delights of my 45 hrs contract with Dunelm, over these 2 years I have never worked 45!!!! your average week will be around 55/60 hrs. with the delights of 16hrs shifts till 2 am or ever all night on occasions. THIS IS EXPECTED!! you will receive no pay and no time in hand for your hard work. – more... you will be working a part time job for free!!!! yay!

15% discount is poor for the average retailer

no sick pay even if your salary, (don't go breaking a leg or you cant pay rent!)

setup to fail on every task asked for by the company, e.g. (35 pallets of Christmas stock dropped in store and told to sit on it for 1 week. until they review were they can put it) embarrassing amateurs at any kind of setup or merchandising launches.

Massively high turnover of managers I have had 3 area managers, 3 store managers, and worked with 7 assistant managers in my short time. (I cannot count the amount of team leaders or staff I have seen pass)

bonus structure is terrible, the goalposts are moved constantly and you budgets are based on target + internet sales???? based within these magical postcodes around your store, that no one in the company seems to know, YOU HAVE NO DIRECT OR EVEN INDIRECT POWER OVER INTERNET SALES.

My share save has had 3 missing payments from the company (£450) even though they were taken direct from my salary!!!!!! now I have left and wish to cash out on my 3 year program I cannot get my money until Dunelm sort there miss organised mess out! YBS bank says its been going on for months and x employees are mad. (yes I am mad)

managers Salary between 18k-25k ( ive seen a few internal on less)

Save yourself the hassle in the long run and look elsewhere, even if you are desperate. you have been warned. – less
n/a
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Fenton, ENGNovember 12, 2014
I only went for work experience with the chance of employment, but it seemed they weren't bothered about hiring anyone as sometimes I didn't have things to do.
Dunelm
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Broadstairs, ENGOctober 16, 2014
I enjoy working at Dunelm, I have learnt a lot over the 2 years I have worked there.

The hardest part of the job is the deliveries which are very tiring to do.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I enjoy talking to customers and trying my best to provide them with what they need.
Ok but could be better
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), east midlandsOctober 5, 2014
Pros: staff discount and my colleagues :)
Cons: getting holidays rejected
On a daily basis I have to guide the customers to specific areas of the store, check stock levels in the warehouse, deal with customers queries and give great product advise when required. Most of my colleagues depend on me knowing where new stock is displayed around the store. I pro-actively make it my duty at the start of my shift to find where items – more... have been placed around the store. – less
fun work place
retail assistant (Former Employee), Ashton-Under-Lyne, ENGSeptember 1, 2014
I worked 2 weeks in voluntary. no pay. they will give me a reference.
Feel Good place to work
Part-time Sales Assistant (Current Employee), DartfordAugust 28, 2014
Pros: staff discount
Cons: not enough working hours
My role is very sociable meeting new people on a daily basis, helping them find the products they are looking for and advising of other products.

My colleagues are extremely helpful, friendly and we all work really well as a team.

The most enjoyable part of my job being able to help customers. I find this very satisfying and I go home knowing I have – more... helped someone.

I would say the hardest part of the job is the working hours ideally I would like full-time employment. – less
workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Dundee, SCTAugust 20, 2014
Good product value and helpful staff.
Do need more help on the tills to stop ques.
2 managers are enjoyable to work with and happy to help.
Hardest part is customer being impatient after co-workers not phoning them if there product they ordered has arrived in store.
Hard work but very enjoyable and great place to work
Assistant/replenishment manager (Former Employee), Swansea, WLSAugust 12, 2014
Pros: hours suited my family life
Cons: no major cons
I worked 6 am to 4 pm Tuesday to Friday and 6 am to 10 am on Saturday morning. The role as Replenishment Manager/Assistant Manager was very demanding but with such a good work team it made my days even though long hours a very much enjoyable place to work as you are always extremely busy whether with customers or movement of stock. Unfortunately I fell – more... ill and had to leave the Company of which I still miss very much. Would I go back to work there? Most deffinately YES. As long as you are willing to work hard and achieve the targets you are set daily, monthly etc then this is a perfect place to work as it is always busy and staff/management are very nice and easy to get on with. Swansea Store was where I worked and everyone there was amazing. – less
good work place
team leader-Window treatment department (Current Employee), Ashton-Under-Lyne, ENGJune 28, 2014
good products, friendly staff.

the company is till growing and will continue to at a good rate.
company managers show an interest in their workers and are open to ways of expanding.
Productive and fun workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee), Bridgend, WLSJune 23, 2014
When I was working in Dunelm Mill I was with Bridgend College completing a week work experience. I really enjoyed my time working in Dunelm Mill as my co-workers were easy to get along with and I enjoyed talking to and helping customers with their queries. The hardest part of the job was stock replenishment as I had to unpack stock from the stock room – more... and bring it out on the shop floor in the correct isle, however once I got used to where products were kept around the store it became easier. Overall I am pleased with the work experience I gained from Dunelm Mill and really enjoyed my time there. – less
what a fantastic company to work for. the best job i ever had to be totally honest
Assistant/replenishment manager (Former Employee), Swansea, WLSJune 23, 2014
Pros: excellent company, brilliant staff, management, ongoing training, progression to management if you really want it. great early morning hours.
Cons: the only complaint was the heavy lifting on certain items, a certain time when there was no help available, of which i had to lift myself due to customer safety.
working for Dunelm was totally amazing. i am so gutted i had to leave due to illness otherwise i would STILL be there. Staff, Management & Customers amazing & i truly miss them all. Progression to management was hard but well worth it as everyone was so supportive and kind. This is the company that should be on top of everyone's list to work for.
FANTASTIC.
enjoyed
Sales assistant (Current Employee), romfordJune 13, 2014
till staff, very busy place most of the time just not enough hours again love the people i work with
friendly environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Coventry, ENGJune 9, 2014
Pros: coworkers
customer service.
i learnt the different types of curtains and what to do with different types as i was on the curtain department.
management varied, some were extremely nice treated everyone as an equal yet asserted authority when needed and other management were unfair and lazy.
coworkers where extremely friendly.
lovable place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), bradfordJune 5, 2014
Pros: 15% off
working at dunelm was a great experience it was like alittle family i really enjoyed my time there
Productive and fun workplace.
Barista (Former Employee), Maidstone, ENGJune 2, 2014
Working for Dunelm Mill was an excellent way in beginning my work life. The management and co-workers were outstanding in relating to me and helping me develop into a young adult. I learnt many new skills including customer service, cash handling etc. therefore helping me later in my future.
Busy and friendly Workplace
Window Treatment Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Canterbury, ENGApril 29, 2014
A friendly, happy place to work. Excellent retail experience, with lots of opportunities for progression.

1 2 3 4 5