Dunelm Mill Employee Reviews

Need to sort their priorities out!
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  oxSeptember 14, 2014
Typical day was doing other peoples jobs including team leader job lists.. Never getting appreciated for the jobs you do specially when its not in your job title, learnt that they use people and take advantage! Where do i start with management .. Rude, ignorant, don't know when to leave personal life at home. Co workers cant fault them only reason i dealt with that place for so long. Hardest job was training a team leader , why employ someone for team leader who know nothing at all when u have perfectly good knowledgeable staff working there bum off for that job(kick in the teeth) if i do say so myself.. Never get a holiday! In 12 months they rejected every holiday placed in that book including 1 day!! 1 day are u serious yet managers where off all the time , false promises , work hard on nights on your own doing a 3people job with just yourself to then find ur manager saying ur not worth the hours behind your back (disgusting) night rate never paid , hours go up and down no stability long hours and most the time over time pay got refused! Still waiting for my holiday pay that is owed to me... Must have been worth something as in now a supervisor in a different store but i wouldn't recommend anyone to deal with that disrespect and stress.
Pros
the staff was amazing never let that place take away are laughs
Cons
no holiday accepted was there 2years and had 2 holidays
Don't bother. Honestly!
Customer Service/ Till staff (Current Employee) –  LiverpoolJanuary 21, 2014
Being rushed off your feet to do everyone else's job.
Management are bully's; get you to do the jobs that they can't manage to do, although the results are unattainable.
Assistant managers are sack you if your face doesn't fit.
70 staff taken on for setup. 34 sacked by the end of a week, not keeping a promise to keep them on for a minimum of 3 months.
Team leaders are mainly nice people, but management make the job unbearable. Look for a job elsewhere, or make it a short stop while you search for something else because this place is NOT the place to have a long time career.
Pros
None.
Cons
Massive staff overhaul, long hours, job insecurity on whim, no room for error.
Poor
Customer service (Current Employee) –  AshtonDecember 28, 2013
Worked there recently , poor training , poor management , will use you and then drop you at the drop of a hat , if the store not doing as well as expected you will lose hours , will give you unreasonable shifts , your expected to do extra after your shift finished , they pull there face if you leave at your stated shift finishing time , but your co workers are great to work with
Pros
Nice and warm
Cons
'There's no place like Dunelm' -- Too right there's not -- New Ashton-under-Lyne store (Previous Employee)
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashton-under-LyneDecember 27, 2013
This company provides employees with Customer first training. Not a single member of management gave two hoots whether customers existed or not. They can barely manage a simple smile towards customers. This is more than staff get from them. I never saw a smile from the store manager, less from the assistant managers. Theres the general unhappy atmosphere amongst staff and the managers dont seem to care about employee job satisfaction at all.
On a different note, some of the stock is overpriced rubbish that looks like its been made by toddlers...
There is more but im wasting no more time on this company. The only good thing I can say about this is that having experience at Dunelm on my CV will look good as they are a well respected company.
poor management ie store manager and operations manager at ashton under lyne
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  ashton under lyneDecember 12, 2013
Store manager rude and DOESNT communicate to people with no people or man management skills, operations manager where to begin should never be a manager rude and another with non people skills it look like if your face fits you progress and as favourites which no manager of any description should have, expect you to do hundred tasks in a extremely unrealistic time scales, its not a customer service role as is describe in the beginning, all looks good at the beginning with customer first training which is a waste of time because they task you every second of your shift, so don't get that customer first training they want.
They would like you to do more hours then contract to do like ten mins here and 30 mins here without pay at the end of your shift when its dark nights you got love ones picking you up and buses to catch so you not walking the street on your own, do they care management not a tall. one of the worst jobs there is out there would not recommend anybody to work for them.
what I have said that the tip of the iceberg so be warned.
A terrible company to work for! 2 years service (manager)
Operations manager (Former Employee) –  dunelmOctober 21, 2013
After 2 years being worked to the bone I have now left the delights of my 45 hrs contract with Dunelm, over these 2 years I have never worked 45!!!! your average week will be around 55/60 hrs. with the delights of 16hrs shifts till 2 am or ever all night on occasions. THIS IS EXPECTED!! you will receive no pay and no time in hand for your hard work. you will be working a part time job for free!!!! yay!

15% discount is poor for the average retailer

no sick pay even if your salary, (don't go breaking a leg or you cant pay rent!)

setup to fail on every task asked for by the company, e.g. (35 pallets of Christmas stock dropped in store and told to sit on it for 1 week. until they review were they can put it) embarrassing amateurs at any kind of setup or merchandising launches.

Massively high turnover of managers I have had 3 area managers, 3 store managers, and worked with 7 assistant managers in my short time. (I cannot count the amount of team leaders or staff I have seen pass)

bonus structure is terrible, the goalposts are moved constantly and you budgets are based on target + internet sales???? based within these magical postcodes around your store, that no one in the company seems to know, YOU HAVE NO DIRECT OR EVEN INDIRECT POWER OVER INTERNET SALES.

My share save has had 3 missing payments from the company (£450) even though they were taken direct from my salary!!!!!! now I have left and wish to cash out on my 3 year program I cannot get my money until Dunelm sort there miss organised mess out! YBS bank says its been going on for months and x employees
  more... are mad. (yes I am mad)

managers Salary between 18k-25k ( ive seen a few internal on less)

Save yourself the hassle in the long run and look elsewhere, even if you are desperate. you have been warned.
Pros
Cons
This company will take 10 years off your life expectancy ! be warned