Dungarvin

Dungarvin Employer Reviews

The consumers are decent and your coworkers vary
DSP and Lead DSP (Former Employee), La Porte, INJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: helping people better themselves
Cons: poor management, no time off when requested, immature coworkers
I worked as a direct support professional for around 2 years in houses with people with developmental disabilities. I also helped with a day service center.

The residential services program seemed managed well until supervisors changed. I was promoted to a house lead and never trained on my position. The house was poorly run and management was in chaos. Most of my coworkers in the house were immature and lazy. Management did not have a backbone in disciplining this issue as well. The consumers of the house were not being properly cared for because of this.

Helping the consumers was the best part of the position. Seeing them better themselves made the job worthwhile.
Work place with strong communication and learning experiences
DIRECT SUPPORT STAFF (Current Employee), Buffalo, MinnesotaJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: gaining more experience and knowledge with behaviors, company gives the opportunity for bonuses often.
Cons: no scheduled lunch break and struggling to staff open shifts.
A typical day of work at Dungarvin would be greeting the client, working on skills, crafts, managing meals, house hold chores, and finances, taking the client out on outings/appointments. Charting on the events that took place that day.
I have learned better communication skills with clients with behaviors and how to manage a behavior if one is to occur.
The co-workers are very helpful, friendly, team players, efficient, and have good communication skills.
The hardest part of my job would be when the client refuses all care for the day and there isn't anything for me to work on.
The thing I enjoy most about my job is seeing how happy my client is when they complete a task that they have been working on.
not a very good place to work mostly new jersey where they just fire staff for just little mistake when a staff have worked for you for over 5 year
direct suppoty (Former Employee), new jerseyJanuary 14, 2015
My review about Dungarvin is they need to change their policy on discipline a staff not just fire they need to put in place a form of disciplinary steps for their staff not just firing staff doing that mean you used and dump them that is not a good idea in this time for a big organization like that
Dungarvin trains their employees well
DSP (Current Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: getting to know clients and creating relationships.
Cons: long hours.
A typical day at work starts with caring for clients and meeting their needs by doing such things as personal hygiene and medication. The hardest part of this job for me is that it is very physically demanding with a lot of lifting, twisting and stretching. The most rewarding part of working here though is helping those who are in need of help live as close to normal lives as possible.
Work experience very rewarding and nice teamwork.
Health Care Provider (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: interaction with client, relaxation and playing with client (leisure).
Cons: sometimes no or short lunch and deal with the behavior of some clients.
- Provide Care for the client
- Provide security for client
- Provide privacy
-Do minor household cleaning
-Learned to be organized
-Manage documentation for clients
-Team work and team building
- The hardest part is dealing with behaviors
- Interaction, outing and preparing meals for clients is the most enjoyable part of the job.
good day at work
Program Counselor (Current Employee), Farmington, NMNovember 21, 2014
I care for people with disabilities , my co workers are fun and so are the clients, I learn new things everyday good bad funny and sad. being in the community can be a challenge some days. Its nice to see everyone go home with a smile.
great place
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Santa Rosa, CAOctober 15, 2014
this is a great place to work . I began from the bottom and had the opportunity to move up as a program coordinator.
great starting job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Hammond, INOctober 13, 2014
Pros: building your schedule to accomodate your life
Cons: sometimes there isn't work available, but they hire people anyway.
typical day consist of preparations of meds, preparation of 3 meals a day, traveling to workshops for the clients, and household cleaning along with loging everything that took place within the day.
Good company that helps people.
Program Manager (Current Employee), Mendota Heights, MNOctober 8, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: looking for something a little different
There isn't a typical day at work. I am a program manager of two houses and in charge of about 20 employees and extra flex staff. I enjoy this job and the people that I help. I like my co-workers.

The hardest part was coming from a different state and learning all the laws, and reg's for adult foster care. But everyone's been so helpful that I am able to learn quickly.

I enjoy multitasking, helping people and knowing that no matter what their disability is they can still lead an enriched life.
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee), La Crosse, WIOctober 7, 2014
Pros: the clinets are great. you cant pretty much take them anywere and doing anything with them.
Cons: everything else
They don't care about employes, they are behind on everything, they guilt you in to doing what ever well at least they try.
They are always behind on paperwork and getting what needs to be done that week.
overalla godd company to work for.
Staff nurse (Former Employee), Grants, NMAugust 24, 2014
Had wonderful staff. and a great boss. Easy to work for. The clients are amazing.
A company that does not care about employees
PC (Former Employee), Bloomington/Richfield, MNAugust 14, 2014
Pros: individuals served
Cons: everything else
I was hired to work 3 shifts a week. The supervisor that I was assigned to was leaving, so she did nothing to help me get me hours. I pushed (called resentlessly) for days and weeks before I finaly got trained at only two of the homes that I was supposed to be working in. (This was a month after my new hire training.) The supervisor that replaced her did less (if that is possible) for me, though I was training at a third house at that time. I ended up working one night a week at a house that I really loved (the third house). The unfortunite part was that all of the people that were on shift before me had an adversion to do the things that they were hired to do along with caring for individuals (ie: washing dishes, cleaning floors, laundry, restocking, making lunches for the next day, ect.) Many nights I would be doing these things while a staff that I started at that house at the same time would follow me around for 30 mins-1 hour ranting about things at the house and in her personal life. The kicker came when I called in 10 hours early to my shift and was told that calling in when I was sick was 'not acceptable'. I told my supervisor that I quit and then she spoke to me about getting more hours. It has been a short time that I have been working for them (10 weeks) but I no longer wanted to work for a company that wouldn't or couldn't give me what they said they would and a company that dosen't understand that people get sick sometimes. I shouldn't have had to quit before there was talk about more hours.
Not a very good company
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Portage, INAugust 8, 2014
Cons: no good supervision
Taking care of people with disabilities
i learned that this job is not for all
managment does not get really involved to help with problems
Co- workers have to much defiance with eachother
the hardest part of the job was having to report mistreatment from other co workers
The clients are so loveable
Horrible Place to Work
DSP (Current Employee), South Bend, IndianaJuly 23, 2014
Pros: few benefits
Cons: long hours, no breaks, lazy coworkers, other employees often late or dont show up, find your own coverage for pto
Direct care employees are constantly left understaffed. It is not uncommon to be forced to work 24 hours straight. By forced I mean that when you are on an evening shift and overnight shift calls off or doesn't show up, you cannot leave or it would be neglect and its unlikely that coverage will be found. The company routinely requires you to work 6 hour shifts during the week and expects you to work 16 hour shifts on the weekend. The scheduling is done with no regard for the workers. The company has many incentives for employees to refer others. I feel I would not refer an enemy to this company. Also many employees choose not to engage in the level of care necessary.
Great benefits and pay
Program Counselor-PC (Former Employee), Valporaiso, INJune 30, 2014
Pros: great benefits, good pay, good long hours.
Cons: childish management, most of the co-workers were chidlish, management at this site very unprofessinal as well as most co-workers.
Benefits and pay were good and hours weren't bad. The job itself at times was rewarding. There were more downfalls then anything especially with management within the site I worked at and same with other co-workers it was a very childish place to work at the site I worked at. I definitely learned to work very hard and always keep doing the right thing and good things will come to you. It was hard taking care of the individuals since they have high behaviors, but they were great to take care of at the same time. Overall the Company itself isn't that bad. It was just the site I worked at that wasn't so good, but something great came out of working at this company and site I can definitely say that for a fact.
This was an intersting place to work.
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Mendota Heights, MNMay 30, 2014
There was a lot of changes in daily routine for this job. Sometimes l took the residents to work, other times to movies and shopping, help the resident with activities of daily living. The co-workers were good and fun to work with. The hard part of the job was that sometimes l was made to drive to long distant places where resident go to visit family members. This job was so much fun because it felt like home.
Teamwork centered environment that encourages rehabilitation through learning.
Program Counselor (Former Employee), South Bend, INMay 14, 2014
Pros: it's a diverse learning environment that will provide many skills.
Cons: some co-workers become complacent and cut corners that should not be cut.
It is a great company with good values. I've learned a plethora of skills from working there for two years. The Directors are not onsite to encourage leadership and responsibility in the employees and clients. They are on call and readily available if needed. Our clients gave back to the community and all of our shifts were spent doing activities that would teach the clients various life skills.
Dungarvin Nevada
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVMay 1, 2014
Working with four individuals with developmental disabilities. We run there daily habilitation programs, manage doctor appointments and medications. Assiting them in weekly needs and any additional activities for daily living.
Many, multi-task, variety of involvements .
Direct Support Professional A3 / MSDC Transport (Current Employee), South Bend, In.March 25, 2014
Not getting to emotionally involved, regarding individuals care. Knowing that I make a difference, for the positive affect in the daily lives of others.
Relaxing enviornment to work in and good team work.
Program Counselor (Former Employee), Mendota Heights, MNFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: always hours open
Cons: few workers willing to really work
When I would get to work I would take out dinner. Go down to the laundry room and get indviduals laundry and place each persons laundry in their room. After doing laundry I would get one of my individuals shower things together and put it in the bathroom. My clients start arriving home a hour after I get to work. I would go out and get them off the transportation van or bus. My first client I would bring in the house and pass 4pm medication. After passing medication to all clients I would cook dinner. When dinner is done I would pass medication again only to one client. Then after dinner we began to do evening activities and prepare for evening cares. Evening care are giving shower and completing oral care. After evening cares I would pass medication again for the night. Once eveyone is in bed I began to clean up for the overnight staff. I would start a load of laundry for overnight staff. I learned to work with people with disability and also become CPR and First Aid certified as well as Medication Administration certified. My management was very has on they completed cares as well as staff. I worked with a great team of co-workers. We split our jobs each shitf so that one staff don't feel overwhelmed with work. When I first started the hardest part was clean up bowel movements when taking a client to the bathroom. What I enjoyed most about a days work is at the end of my shift I know that my clients are safe and unharmed. The hours we spent together was spent doing things to increase their independancy.

1 2 3

About Dungarvin

Dungarvin is a national organization of privately owned companies that are dedicated to providing high quality, community-based – Read more