Dungarvin Employee Reviews

decent place to work
Caregiver/ CNA (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 17, 2017
its a pretty laid back place to work. they have various houses you can work in throughout Milwaukee. most off the staff and management are pretty cool and laid back and ease to work around. They have a high turn over rated and you can pick up so many hours.
Nice place to work but unfortunately doesn't pay enough
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 4, 2017
I loved what I did but unfortunately doesn't pay enough money. I learned a lot from this company and would have stayed longer but unfortunately I wasn't able to support myself on wages.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Low wages
In a tweet-"terrible, bad, sad"
CSP-High Acuity Programs (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJune 20, 2017
The pros. It's a paycheck.
The cons. Benefits are non-existent. No paid holidays, sick days and VERY limited vacation days. It is a "Let's Make a Deal" company. If you want time off or need time off on a scheduled day you WILL need to beg, borrow and make deals with other staff to get it done! You WILL work unwanted overtime and be stuck doing double shifts if the relieving staff does not show up or calls in. Management style is a hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil company. They do NOT care what staff does while they are working. They do Not want to hear it. You WILL need to turn your back on some incredibly crazy and inappropriate behaviors by other staff. Management only cares that the shifts are covered. New staff are under trained just to get a "warm body" on the floor. Unfortunately, that can put other staff in a dangerous situation when you are working with high behavioral clients. This company's turn-over is incredible and they do not care about retaining people who genuinely care about taking the job seriously.
So, in a nutshell. If you are a person of character, strong work ethics and morals do NOT think for a moment that you need money this badly! It will burn you out and drag you down!
Pros
Paychecks
Cons
Unprofessional staff, management and workplace
great people, great staff
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sartell, MNJune 16, 2017
my review is based on being a house manager and not having the support from the program director I needed. It was extremely hard to get a hold of the PD and when I would have to make a decision involving a resident the PD would get mad and ask why she wasn't contacted, even though I called, texted, emailed, etc. and had no response from her. Because of the cares needed at the house it should have not been a single staffed house but when brought up they would blow it off, eventually I got worked into the ground and ended up quitting.
Pros
meals paid
Cons
non existant PD and others not listening to the needs of the house.
Its an okay place to work.
Residential Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pauls Valley, OKJune 9, 2017
The pay sucks. The training is useless, they need someone new who actually wants to be there. LaGatha is nice but you can tell she hates her job. Half the information you receive in training isn't true. They should have the trainer actually work in a home before training people.

The office management don't care about ANYONE who works in the field. They don't care about the individuals at all. I swear someone could get killed and that employee would still work here.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Pay
Worst company I ever worked for
Care giver (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 8, 2017
Horrible unprofessional management that treat staff like they are brainless and have no value. Write ups for ridiculous things. Promote only those who are willing to treat staff in the same manner as upper management does which is like the dirt under your shoes. Under staffed all the time. Very high school cliquish type atmosphere management against the staff members. Low pay terrible benefits. Run fast
Pros
Cons
Unprofesional Management
Poorly run
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Oregon City, ORMay 27, 2017
I worked at Ashley house in Oregon City. Six times, when I showed up ready to work at my scheduled time, I was told they didn't need me that day. Employees are supposed to be switched over to a 'phone in' timekeeping system after two weeks, they didn't do so, with the result I ended up working April 9 2017 without pay. Whenever the supervisor worked a shift, she was invariably 1/2 to several hours late, and you're stuck there until she shows up. For any questions you're supposed to call your supervisor, sometimes she'll return the call, sometimes not. I quit after 4 weeks.
The best parts of the job were the residents, and my coworkers, whom I consider saints for doing all they do on minimum wage. Dungarvin seems to have serious management problems.
Pros
residents
Cons
how it's managed
Not a great job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 26, 2017
Difficult work, low pay, long hours. The behavior house that I was assigned to was dangerous with non-stop violent episodes from the clients. Property destruction and personal attacks to be expected rather than "possible"
Pros
some nice coworkers
Cons
I was unprepared for what awaited me at the behavior house
Day Program
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAMay 19, 2017
provide transportation to and from day program, outings, crafts, activities, and meals for adults with severe disabilities, using lifts, personal care, hand over hand guidance.
Management Needs Help
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 16, 2017
In the two years that I worked here we had gone through 3 different supervisors. With all the change in management it was hard to keep up with the different changes. Often times scheduling was an issue and I would have to stay late because the person that was supposed to relieve me did not show up. They hire a lot of cruddy workers because they are so desperate for help.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Pay is no good
Horrible management, bad home-work balance, terrible benefits
CSM (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMay 13, 2017
Csp workers are treated like trash-forced to work 16 hr shifts at times at the drop of a hat, terrible benefits that cover almost nothing, write ups given to csps all the time for trivial things because upper management doesn't understand the jobs.

CSM is expected to do an ungodly amount of paperwork and work the floor too for two shifts a week while trying to make sure all positions are filled, do grocery shopping and have two meetings a week where nothing else can be done because dungarvin won't increase benefits or pay and they have sullied their name in areas to the point where people don't want to apply-can't blame them. Staff were told they were all getting a two dollar raise an hour and ended up with a 19 cent raise.

With issues that need fixed in the homes it is told to the pd and area director which don't do much about it until the state director finds out then it's the blame game until its fixed. Constantly things are hidden and swept under the rug. It's a telling sign when none of the managers have over a year of seniority and a house that needs 15 staff to run efficiently only have 4-6.

If you think about going to this company run the other way as they do not care about you and it shows.
Pros
Meet some cool people
Cons
Almost everything else.
One big family.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Gary, INMay 4, 2017
A typical is everybody speaks to one another with a smile everyone is polite to each other as we are doing our duties and as we pass each,in the hallways going and coming. Seeing I have learned so much in the past I can't say I learned anything;management is firm/stable it's a great place to work if you like a variety of types of peoples..the hardest part of the job is like every job(to get there)the most enjoyable parts of the job is the family friendly atmosphere with my co/workers and the benefits the company has to offer as well as each pay day.
Pros
Friendly environment and the benefits.
Cons
Not including the benefits the hourly pay is not so great.
Good Place to work
PROGRAM DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2017
Dungarvin is a good place to work; good people, good enviroment..
A typical day in the life of a Program Director is multi-tasking, coordinating staff, shifts, and assisting the individuals.
I've learned a great deal of useful skills for future use.
Mangement seems to be reasonable, but they do have their times.
Workplace culture for the area work in is amazing.
Hardest part of the job is the expectations of the work/life balance; they're unrealistic. (No balance between work/personal life.)
I really love my job and enjoying working with each and every person or individual.
Pros
Benefits, Compensation, Environment, People, Individual serviced
Cons
Unrealistic Expectations of work/life balance; not concern with certain circumstances
Not worth it
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2017
Clients are amazing. Pay is too low compared for every other company. Nobody is ever on time and that includes the managers. On call is a joke. So many other companies that actually care about their employees.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Never being relieved on time. Pay. Management
Great place to work!
Current Administative Employee (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 21, 2017
A typical day includes serving people who need help with various things. This means you have to be flexible, the ability to focus and have some common sense.
I have learned that my day will often depend on my personal attitude, not all days will be awesome, but most will if you have an attitude of flexibility.
I think our Management is great, and although there are sometimes periods of flux, you can always find someone to help you. You just have to look.
Workplace culture is what we make it as staff. Yes, sometimes we get staff who are lazy. Yes, sometimes we have to pick up the slack. BUT, we all do our best to pull together and find a way to make it work.
The hardest part is knowing someone is struggling and knowing our job is not to fix it for them, but assist them with learning ways to get through whatever is going on, in a manner which promotes their individuality.
The most enjoyable part is seeing all your hard work payoff for the first time, and a served person using something you have shown them functionally (for themselves).
Every place like Dungarvin has its own flaws and fails. I like to think we try to roll with them, and if you are able to ride it out, you will find a secure, ever-changing, challenging job ahead of you. I have been with Dungarvin for 5 years. I started as a Direct Support Professional. I am now part of the Administrative team.
Dealing with people can be difficult and trying. It is important to remember we are not here to fix anyone. We are here serve people and all the things they go through.
Pros
Personal satisfaction, Room to promote, and great friends.
Cons
That all depends on how we as employee's view things.
Good work enviornment
Supported Living Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grants, NMApril 20, 2017
Dunagrvin companies in new mexico would be great if employees were not so into favoritism. Professionalism needs to be stressed to all employees. Clients working with were such great clients loved working with them. But employees need to treat each other with respect and be professional.
Pros
Great clients
Cons
Limited leave
Love the clients
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Rohnert Park, CAApril 19, 2017
It is a good place to work if you are up for a challenge. Good team management the program director and coordinators work together to try to make changes for the better.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Not able to move up
Fun friendly work place with set hours
Program counselor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 14, 2017
Its a good company who helps people with developmental disabilities things like every day life and life skills such as shopping cleaning and making sure the individuals make it to work on time
Direct service staff
DIRECT SERVICE STAFF (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 13, 2017
Stressful hard work to do on your own. Supervisors should keep closer eyes on all shifts and be more easily accessible when needed. wasn't too bad but is someone slacks everyone is set back.
Always short-staffed but rewarding experience
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Flora, INApril 13, 2017
Honestly, the management is terrible and only cares about making sure that you cover your own shift when you need time off so that they don't have to come in and sacrifice their own time. This, paired with the sometimes physically and emotionally demanding nature of the job leads to a high employee turnover rate. We are always short staffed, so that the few available workers are often times working upwards of 70 hours per week, resulting in burnout.

That being said, if you truly care about the individuals and making a difference in their lives, it is a rewarding experience and is often times the only reason employees stick around.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dungarvin. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9