Dunham's Sports Employee Reviews

They dont realize its 2016
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Zanesville, OHSeptember 6, 2016
Upper Management (corporate) has no idea what is needed in stores. Product flows in randomly and there is no consistent merchandise replenishment plan. Advancement can be difficult and they expect way too much out of hourly associates and management based on their compensation
Pros
25% discount
Cons
expensive insurance and a company system that was best left in the 90's
Happy Environment, with fun group of employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Meadville, PADecember 17, 2016
I worked with sales. It was fun and interesting for me because I was able to learn more about different products. Engaging and talking with customers helped greatly with my communication skills. The management was great, all the managers were super easy to get along with and it was very well known what was expected of the employees. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep all the customers happy, but the most enjoyable part, was learning more about sales and meeting new people.
Pros
Close to home, knew a lot of people
Cons
No chance of growth.
Fun place with fun people.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNApril 19, 2016
It was a fun place to work with a lot of great people. I didn't get to advance as much as I would have liked to. A typical day at work was either a whole day on the cash register or on the floor. I learned a lot about how to talk to people and how to deal with the public in general. Management did a good job for the most part but not when it came to trying to move people around. I was stuck on the register for most of my time there and would have liked to have been moved to more departments for the benefit of learning those departments so i could help a customer more successfully. My co-workers were great. If I ever needed someone to take a shift or switch with me due to an emergency they were always happy to help. The most enjoyable part about my job was the people I worked with.
Pros
Christmas Discounts
Cons
No raise after a year and a half
Great company!
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganJune 27, 2016
Dunham's is a great company to work for!
I enjoy all of my co-workers. They advance you very quickly if you work hard. What helps you advance with this company is the fact that the district manager is in contact with you every day. They do notice you here, your hard work will never go unnoticed!
I was promoted to an ASM within 5 months of starting with them.
Benefits are good, 401k and paid sick time and vacation.
The only thing they need to improve is the amount of full time employees they have. We need a better payroll budget for stores.
Pros
Great working enviroment, good pay, good benefits
Cons
Not enough full time positions, not enough payroll hours
Workplace is a great and adventurous
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJanuary 27, 2017
I enjoy communicated with customers while I'm ringing them out and my fellow coworkers are all wonderful and a blast to be around. The management is great and the key holders are good as well.
Pros
laid-backed atmosphere
Cons
Pay could be better
Just your normal 9-5. Not anything special
CASHIER AND SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  North Versailles, PAFebruary 1, 2017
It was okay for a $7.25 job, but not something that you can make a career out of. It made it tough to get a living but okay if you are just starting out.
Mixed emotions
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Athens, TNFebruary 2, 2017
I really enjoy working with the staff including management, but the Dunham's Company is a very cheap company who pay their associates and managers very little compared to other retailers in the area.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Pay is not good
Positive and enthusiastic workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, WIJanuary 14, 2017
Dunham's Sports is a customer-service orientated workplace where the customer is the primary focus. An average day entails assisting the customer in checking out on a register, in their search for desired product(s), and relaying knowledge of the product(s) to them. One of the most important aspects of working in customer service is an engaged and enthusiastic attitude. Maintaining such a behavior teaches the values of patience, understanding, and selflessness. Which, thereby creates friendly and selfless employees who enjoy helping others. However, there are difficulties in working retail. The most difficult task being heavy lifting while unloading and loading freight. Though, for employees who enjoy manual labor such as I, this tends to be the most enjoyable aspect of working at Dunham's Sports.
Pros
Manager-provided snacks, friendly managers, and reasonable breaks.
Cons
Low-pay at an entry level position, and upset customers.
hated it
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIMarch 11, 2017
I enjoyed working with my coworkers but the work and store itself is mundane and boring. Dunham's obsession with asking customers to join our "rewards" system is annoying. It isn't a rewards system, its a spamming and coupon email system. The return/exchange process is annoying. You have to ask the customer for their name, address and telephone number and I've never returned an item at another store and had the employee ask me those things. Dunham's offers a "special order" program but I've only been able to special order things 4 times and it was during black Fridays.
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia City, INJanuary 5, 2017
Very productive and fun place to work while I was employed there. Management was very friendly and understanding when it came to discussing your schedule.
Cons
Short breaks
If you want to manage the manager this is for you!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INAugust 6, 2016
Worst employement decision I've ever made wouldn't recommend this store to my enemy! The store is being ran into the ground by a store manager who isn't willing to admit she can't do the job.....the turn over rate is ungodly and the moral in the store is low! There are a few great managers who are leaders and qualified to run the store and are running the show while having their hands ties by a 5ft bully who's clueless! Don't go work at this place!
Cons
No life! Long hours!
They live in the 1980s
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDSeptember 23, 2016
First off this company sadly needs to get with the times and update their whole system of doing business and learn how to treat their employees better and appreciate the good workers they have, whether at the local or corporate management.Overall I would the company around 2 stars
Pros
Decent discount
Cons
low pay unreliable college kids
Department coordinator (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OHOctober 4, 2016
Dunhams is a very productive place to work. We are constantly doing things and never just sitting around. While you're off the register you are making floor rounds every 10-15 minutes to check on customers to see if they are finding everything okay, you're doing this while putting out any truck that needs to go out on the floor. As you're on the register you are either processing footwear or apparel items. As for myself I am in charge of the clothing it is my job to make sure everyone is tagging the clothes properly while I'm putting out all the new processed clothing.
Pros
Great coworkers, flexible hours
Cons
Lack of staffing
Good place to work for overall.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIFebruary 10, 2016
Dunham's was great to me for my 10+ years of service. I advanced a few times up the ladder, but resigned to seek new opportunities for a company that has better growth and/or structure.

I loved my fellow co-workers and most of the upper management. Not every company is perfect in terms of getting along with everyone.

The work-life balance isn't the greatest... But that happens at a decent amount of places I suppose.

The job is relatively easy, and is fun as long as you make it fun.

There needs to be better/easier lines of communication with the company when we refer to corporate for answers. Sometimes urgent issues could go days without resolutions because we were waiting for the right person at corporate to respond.

If the company's DC doesn't get itself together soon, it will continue to be the cause of lost employees that are valuable to the company.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, good people, nice insurance
Cons
Not sound enough structure at corporate level, distribution center needs major overhaul, payroll at each store needs to be increased to help customers better
I thought it was a good place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNDecember 26, 2016
I had fun with my co-workers on designing new wardrobes and placements for incoming attire. I had a great boss and customers were always really nice. It was an overall great place to work.
Pros
Coworkers got along well
Cons
short breaks
Productive Store with fun associates
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Asheboro, NCOctober 1, 2016
This company makes sure that their associates and employees have everything that is needed to fulfill their tasks at every shift. I feel comfortable talking with my boss and other associates. It is a fun work environment that allows you to gain more hours as long as you are doing what you are supposed to do.
Pros
Great associates and coworkers
Cons
No meal breaks or bathroom breaks unless you work a 7 hour shift.
Coolest team I've worked with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MINovember 24, 2016
Dunahm's was much frail and error but with the support that you had around would be appreciated. The manager had came and left but the employees remained the same. It was a slow store but it had a good moments. They were really flexible with me because I had school that I also attended. I loved my experience.
Fun plave with ping pong table
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Athens, TNMarch 9, 2017
This is a good place to work with a ping pong table to play on break. A great job for any college student or someone needing a part time job, you also get discounts on products.
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
Pay
Nice workplace
Key Department Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 5, 2016
Fast paced but overall pretty simple job. Nice environment and consistent hours. Since my manager that trained me left things have been rather difficult though.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Management not personable anymore
It was good work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIDecember 15, 2016
Dunhams had it's up and down sometimes it was cool but then other times coworkers would come in with attitudes which which takes away the positive energy but overall I enjoyed my time there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dunham's Sports. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6