DuPage County Health Department Employee Reviews

Good company to work for with good benefits
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Wheaton ILJune 2, 2015
Typical day at the health department, you come in sign into you're phone and start taking calls right away and assist the clients, I learned a lot that I did not know about Communicable Diseases, TB, ETC. The management at the company is very good, they are willing to help you with what they can, most of the co-workers has been very helpful with assisting each other, we work well in a team
Pros
Fun enviroment, good communication, good management
Cons
Short staff
Fun activities.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILFebruary 11, 2015
Loved working with public. Staff great to work with. Learned a lot. Co-workers were good people. Management was flexible. Meet new people daily.
Pros
calm atmosphere.
Cons
commute from home.
robot
Sanitarian (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILDecember 7, 2014
benefits great, time off and insurance
people nice
care about quantity not quality
benefits
Cons
salary
Great place to work and has great staff and clients.
RESIDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  ILAugust 10, 2014
A typical day at work included assisting clients with activities of daily living. I learned a lot about the treatment and management of mental illness.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
some positions have difficult hours
Integrated Care Approach
Bi-lingual Youth & Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILJuly 10, 2014
- Work 8 hour shifts, including three evenings, and typically see between 5-7 clients a day.
- We are provided with in house trainings related to our work and current community events.
- Management at my site is encouraging, supportive, and clinically focused.
- There is a team focus, and co-workers are fun, enjoyable, and professional.
- Hardest part of the job, not having a personal office, and maintaining a very large caseload
- Most enjoyable part of the job, seeing my clients, being part of a committee focused on improving services and standards, the support provided to meet my productivity standards, and to enrich my clinical needs.
Challenging, working with diverse population of people with mental illness.
Clinician Consultant/Therapist (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILApril 23, 2014
Initially worked with adults being discharged and linking to aftercare outpatient mental health services to prevent rehospitalizations. Transitioned to office-based therapist, working with chronically mentally ill population, to a more diverse population with wider range of functioning and illnesses, including dual diagnosis individuals.
Extreme favoritism and no opportunity for advancement
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILFebruary 21, 2014
Reorganization happens regularly which keeps the agency in a state of chaos. The organizaiton is very top heavy with many unnecessary Assistant Director positions. These people have been promoted to their level of incompetency. Opportunity for internal promotion is nonexistent unless you are politically connected. The Executive Director just left (Feb 2014), and a few of her political hires left with her, and I expect more will leave. The agency treats interns doing their practicum/capstone very well, and we have hired a few as permanent staff. If you don't mind low pay, this is the place for you. About 3/4 of the building at 111 N. County Farm has been remodled with inexpensive but functional furniture, so accomodations in the remodeled areas are nice. In 2014 my insurance increased so much that I will bring home $1,300 less at the end of this year.
Pros
remodeled building
Cons
no advancement, poor pay, political patronage
Wonderful
Customer Service Representative l (Current Employee) –  Westmont, ILJanuary 14, 2014
A typical days work consist of checking in and out clients, updating clients info and ensuring client insurance is consistant, directing customers to correct location and answering phones, critical thinking when resolving clients concerns and issues.
I love working for DuPage County Health Department
I learned a lot working with the Mental Health population and Woment Infant and children department, it has given me a better insite on what people with mental disabilities have to deal with on a daily basis. The health department also provided a wide variety of classes such as "Hearing Voices", "First Aid for Mental Health", CPI classes, trained in Confidentiality and HIPPA, Blood-Borne Pathegens.
Trained in Vital records and Enviornmental Health issuing Food Permits and familiar with Water Samples.

Management is great in ensuring we are kept up to date on any changes and new information within our department.

My co-workers and supervisors have been nothing but supportive in working with a team approach and learning is ongoing. It has been a joy to work along side such wonderful people, each department though separate, work very well together when needed.

The hardest part of my job leaving this job that has such a valuable impact on my life as an individual. Clients that have also made an impact on my life as well, they have made me a better person, I am able to see the person and not the disability.

The most enjoyable part of my job are the clients, connecting with them on a daily basis, getting to know them and their families, helping and serving my community with all the resources that the county provides.
Pros
connecting with the community and networking
Cons
pay rate
Fast pace environment
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2013
This was a temporary position.......My day would normally be to handle all clients coming in for appointment in the Mental Health division. I would also field calls for the doctors, set all client charts for the following day. Set billing and filing for all client charts. Take care of client filing system and organizing the system for easier understanding for the doctors. Management was a VERY young person that too controlling others way too far. All associates that worked with this person would take matters to her supervisor because of her issues. Working with my co-workers was great. They all helped each other in whatever situation was at hard. We all worked as a team. The hardest part of my job was seeing the people that were there for the doctors. But my most enjoyable part besides working with my co-workers was getting to know the clients as a person.
Pros
fast pace environment
Cons
no benefits
Great enviornment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILDecember 22, 2012
This is a great place to work, I love the flexability and the managers work with you and make you feel comfortable in the work place.
Pros
flexability
Cons
no annual pay increase
An overall excellent clinical experience.
Doctoral Clinical Psychology Internship (Former Employee) –  Addison, IllinoisOctober 18, 2012
I had excellent supervisors who where very supportive and provided me with a great learning environment. The hardest part of the internship was a large case load due to being the only bilingual clinician. I enjoyed working with a diversed population and my co-workers were great.
Pros
multidiciplinary team
Cons
large caseload
productive and rewarding
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILSeptember 6, 2012
learned about different aspect of government budget and financial systems.
Helping others that are unable to help themselves
Clinician consultant (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILAugust 25, 2012
I was employed for twenty years with this company. My learning experience was superb in that I learned new skills, legal laws that involve mental health. Worked independently and had a team approach. was in a leadership role for a invention to enhance the treatment of the mentally ill. I was able to work my own schedule as long as I put in my work hours, flexiablity was great. I proably would have stayed, but new managment was changing the way of treatme nt was given and limiting the population we were serving and taking away benefits that i had worked so hard for and not replacing the benefits with some type of incentive.
Pros
flexiblity, caring clinicians
Cons
new mental health director changing all treatment
professional plase work
Client Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILApril 29, 2012
Productive work environment. At the end of the day, you feel a satisfaction knowing you helped people.
childrens clinic, home care pregnant pt and infants, immunizations
family case management (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILFebruary 14, 2012
Working for the health dept was very fulfilling. Caring for patients who can't afford health care, and providing for their needs was inspirational.