DuPage County Health Department Employee Reviews

Great place to work, friendly staff and professional environment.
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJuly 17, 2017
Have been working for DCHD for 6 years and I have enjoyed my time here. Great place to work, friendly staff, professional environment, and allows room for professional growth.
a great place to be exposed to a new branch of health care
Staff Nurse Outpatient Mental Health Unit (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILJune 21, 2017
I was the grateful recipient of learning about clients other than those in private healthcare. It was gratifying to help people with really chronic problems, and see them begin to get better

Great place to obtain growing knowledge of special diagnosis and specified treatments you may not be otherwise exposed to

Very dedicated mental health staff.
Pros
good salary and benefits, nice group of qualified professionals to work with with
Cons
can have heavy patient loads
Public service
Residential Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILMay 19, 2017
Overall great organization. Excellent for behavioral health services. Benefits are great. Can be difficult working for a government agency in these times
Good starting job
Sanitarian (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILApril 20, 2017
Had to explain, was a well know and respected department, but has now been delegated to the bottom of the pile by upper management. Would not want to work there.
Busy Public Health Department
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILMarch 17, 2017
Very large public health department which offers many types of services for the county. Great opportunity for growth and advancement. Funding for the public health department is very solid and is supported by the entire county community.
Pros
Large Organization
Cons
Workplace Culture
Neoptism and Cronyism
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILMarch 4, 2017
Horribe place to work... favoritism is the key to getting good marks.
So may supervisors doing absolutely nothing. Hopefully investigative reporters will - shine a light on the DuPage County Health Department. Lets keep this conversation alive!
Its a CABAL
Pros
None - no Pros
Cons
Low pay and to many supervisors doing nothing
An okay job for experience after college.
Clinic Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2017
I worked in WIC for a couple of months. Job benefits work okay. Salary is bad and management is horrible, no room for growth.
Benefits
Cons
Management is horrible
Good Staring Place
Sanitarian (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILFebruary 15, 2017
Working here has been great. Finding a strict 40 hour work week with weekends off, sick time, and vacation is getting rarer and rarer to find as companies spread their employees thin, desperately attempting to make more money than last quarter. The EH department here does a lot of great programs for the community, and they really do a lot with what little is given. You get a lot of great experience doing a lot of different things that make you a well rounded (and sought after) professional. At the same time, the amount of programs you are expected to keep track of can be overwhelming. The salary that is offered IS NOT competitive with other health departments in the area that have a lot less of a work load given to employees. As a result, new hires rarely stay longer than 2-3 years since they are now competitive candidates that can find better pay in any direction they choose to go. The department is also always short staffed since employees (and their experience) constantly walk out the door. This makes it almost impossible to get ahead in your work.

The worst, and at times the most time consuming, part of this job by far was fielding calls from an entitled and internet-educated Du Page county public who are convinced their neighbor/landlord/landscaping eyesore is a detriment to their health, and that we can somehow make up and enforce laws to fix their problem. The positive I take away from this is that if these trivial issues are the majority of what is complained about by the public, we must be doing a pretty good job. Otherwise, people would have more serious health
  more... concerns for us.  less
Pros
Fair work hours, Time spent out of the office, Nice coworkers
Cons
Low pay, Heavy work load, talking to a scientifically illiterate public, that view themselves as experts after a 2-hour google session
nice place to work
Residential Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILFebruary 15, 2017
Nice place to work. Supervisors are helpful. Many different areas to work in. Can learn many skills quickly.Schedule is good.
Great Place to Work
Emergency Services Counselor (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJanuary 28, 2017
DCHD is a great place to work. Very flexible, excellent benefits, and approachable management. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of room for advancement.
Pros
Great benefits, work life balance, flexible
Cons
Pay could be better, not a lot of room for advancement
Nice Career
Case Manager/ Case Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJanuary 21, 2017
I enjoy the staff and how we pull together as a team to get the help out to the community. The work environment shifts from community centers, to residential, depending on where you have to be at the time. Education and training is implemented often to keep us all on one accord with the the changing trends in healthcare services.
management unprofessional, punitive; competent clinicians
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJuly 28, 2016
I enjoyed working with the clients and the challenges they presented. The professional nursing staff were not valued and respected by management. My coworkers were very good and our excellent clinical team efforts benefited the patients despite the management culture that was evident. Having the opportunity to serve the indigent poor with medical needs was the best part of my job.
Case Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJuly 1, 2016
Employed for 10 years and position was eliminated back in 2009. Most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction that I had with clients.
New Management, has no experience, Does not understand personal deas or religion do not belong in County job
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILJuly 1, 2015
A great place to be, if you have the right supervisor. New management does not care about employees or clients. Sad day when a great program goes bad due to ignorance and failure to communicate.
Pros
Love the clients, benefits ok
Cons
No Boundaries, No Communication, Different set of rules per supervisor, Targeting minorities, low pay
Good company to work for with good benefits
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Wheaton ILJune 2, 2015
Typical day at the health department, you come in sign into you're phone and start taking calls right away and assist the clients, I learned a lot that I did not know about Communicable Diseases, TB, ETC. The management at the company is very good, they are willing to help you with what they can, most of the co-workers has been very helpful with assisting each other, we work well in a team
Pros
Fun enviroment, good communication, good management
Cons
Short staff
Fun activities.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILFebruary 11, 2015
Loved working with public. Staff great to work with. Learned a lot. Co-workers were good people. Management was flexible. Meet new people daily.
Pros
calm atmosphere.
Cons
commute from home.
robot
Sanitarian (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILDecember 7, 2014
benefits great, time off and insurance
people nice
care about quantity not quality
benefits
Cons
salary
Great place to work and has great staff and clients.
RESIDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  ILAugust 10, 2014
A typical day at work included assisting clients with activities of daily living. I learned a lot about the treatment and management of mental illness.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Some positions have difficult hours
Integrated Care Approach
Bi-lingual Youth & Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILJuly 10, 2014
- Work 8 hour shifts, including three evenings, and typically see between 5-7 clients a day.
- We are provided with in house trainings related to our work and current community events.
- Management at my site is encouraging, supportive, and clinically focused.
- There is a team focus, and co-workers are fun, enjoyable, and professional.
- Hardest part of the job, not having a personal office, and maintaining a very large caseload
- Most enjoyable part of the job, seeing my clients, being part of a committee focused on improving services and standards, the support provided to meet my productivity standards, and to enrich my clinical needs.
Challenging, working with diverse population of people with mental illness.
Clinician Consultant/Therapist (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILApril 23, 2014
Initially worked with adults being discharged and linking to aftercare outpatient mental health services to prevent rehospitalizations. Transitioned to office-based therapist, working with chronically mentally ill population, to a more diverse population with wider range of functioning and illnesses, including dual diagnosis individuals.