Duquesne Light Employee Reviews in United States

Former employee
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 2, 2016
Money is great however the extreme workload and overbearing management forced me to quit

A lot of times you don't even know what time you'll be going home. Shift ends at 5 but we would be stuck until 6-7, until we were released. Not good for a single mother.

The pay is excellent though, so for some people, the abuse is worth it.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Too many to list
very stressfull work environment
Distribution Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 18, 2016
Overall a great company to work for. Good benefits. Great pay. It was a pleasure to work with such wonderful people.
The new Human Resources personnel were a little too strict.
Long ours of work. Missed many family functions. Didn't know if you were going home on time every day on any shift.
Universal Services Associate (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 22, 2016
I worked as a temp for about 6 months. Everyone is very nice, and the company has a relaxed atmosphere. It's great to work downtown. There's lots of options for lunch.
Pros
Great downtown location
Cons
The business seems a bit disorganized.
Was a good co. to work for.
Substation Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2016
Years of good times there, never watched the clock on this job. Learned a lot of the water cooled heat pumps and roof top recovery unit.
Good
Utility
Chief Information Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 21, 2016
Electric utilities are highly regulated by state and federal authorities; work responsibilities will reflect this regulated environment.
team works well together
Windows Server Analyst- Contract (Former Employee) –  Pitttsburgh PAApril 23, 2015
great team to work with

Project is Windows 2003 migration to 2012R2.
• Building Virtual 2012R2 and 2008R2 servers, suggested server build checklist changes that were adopted
• Decommissioning old and powered off VMS recovering over 2 terabytes.
• Built 2012R2 Printer server to replace a 2003 version. Comparing production with this backup print server had to add 170 printers to it. Scheduling to move to production in a week. New 2012R2 server is setup as the replacement of the 2003 production print server taking place after hours..
Enjoyable place to work even thought the pay was below average.
Project Management Supervisor - Construction Dept (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 5, 2015
I enjoyed working at DLC. Developed many life long friendships with co-workers. Management provided strong mentorship in developing solid engineering skills.
Duquesne Light does not promote within often
Associate Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  PittsburghMarch 24, 2015
in the twelve years I was at Duquesne Light I was never promoted but I did the same work at people that were three steps over me. I also did all the scheduling for the Help desk and Vacation requests
Learning all the time
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 29, 2014
Follow Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and North America Electric Reliability Corporations when it comes to patching and managing the SCADA network servers
Create Change Requests and Change Management requests to modify settings on the SCADA network
Attend compliance meeting to make sure all rules are followed.
Challenging and physical work
Journey Lineman (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 15, 2012
Each day in my position is new and interesting based on the issue or service that needs focus and attention. Ability to work with different individuals in the crew and different levels of experience. During my tenure I have had the opportunity to act as a Supervisor during call outs as well as train new apprentices.
Pros
ability to work independently and with a team
Cons
physical and dangerous work
no stress work environment
Sr. Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 11, 2015
They are just starting to catch up with technology and investing in newer technology and services. Typical 8hr day with no real stress.
Enjoyed the environment, great workplace atmosphere, and all around good people
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Woods Run, Pgh PAJanuary 25, 2012
Great job and great benefits. You were able to meet new people everyday within the community, along with knowing the whole entire area that was within the companies
Pros
great perks, made great friendships
Cons
wear and tear on your body, working in the elements.

2.9