Duquesne University Employee Reviews in United States

Easy but boring
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 29, 2016
The job is easy for the most part. I just keep watch and make sure only residents, workers, and guest enter the dormitory. I also deal with complaints, and issues but only by relaying the message via phone. The hardest part about this job is the hours. I work the night shift, which is 12am-8am.
Pros
are able to do what you will with free time
Cons
hours are rough
Enjoyable Workplace
Italian Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 19, 2016
Laid back and well managed, the co-workers are nice and the management is as well. I would highly recommend working there.
Fun summer experience
Chemistry Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 25, 2015
This summer internship was a good experience of how it would be to work 40 hours a week and more. It had a couple of other thing that were not just strictly work related, like the ethics forum, that was educational to say the least.
Beneficial Fundraising Environment
Student Marketer & Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 22, 2015
I worked at Duquesne University for nearly two years and had the privilege of fundraising for the university throughout my fall, spring, and summer semesters. I called, left messages, drafted letters for, delivered, and signed off on information for the university's thousands of donors and sponsors. I reported to the department chairs of the offices of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving. I worked closely with two colleagues, and we each had separate responsibilities, calling lists, and events to manage. The most difficult part of my job would be when I struggled to get a consistent or positive response from the persons I reached out to. However, the most fulfilling part of my job came from receiving the positive and encouraging responses which resulted in attendance, participation, and fundraising for local university and national alumni chapter events.
Pros
Flexible hours and scheduling, good pay, work variety, reasonable break time, great management
Cons
Often independent working hours
Teach a variety of undergraduate courses.
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 19, 2015
Focus on teaching undergraduate students. Mentoring and supervising internships also were a part of my responsibilities. I enjoyed interacting with students.
Division 1 Rowing Coach
Division I Women's Rowing Coach (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 23, 2015
Team of 40-50 student athletes preparing for regional and national competition within the Atlantic 10 conference. Duquesne University is located in downtown Pittsburgh, PA. The boathouse is approximately 3 miles from campus.
A great resourceful place to work, especially for a student.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 28, 2014
I learned a lot from working at Career Services. I learned about the culture, the students, resume write ups, and much more. The environment was pleasing and interesting. I was able to work with students and different classes of people which happens to be my stronger quality.
Pros
flexible work hours (as a student), resourceful, do-able, interpersonal
Great school
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 23, 2015
Duquesne University is a great school with multiple majors. It has the appeal of being in downtown Pittsburgh while still feeling like its own separate community.
Great atmosphere to work.
Systems/Operations Aide (Former Employee) –  PittsburghFebruary 15, 2015
I worked a few jobs. I loved working at the school I attend. I have learned how to be patient. My manager was a very nice but strict woman. I like what I was doing so it was not a hard part to the job.
it was ok
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 7, 2015
I like my group and my advisor, but some people there are hard to work with. It was nice that I could make own schedule most of the time.
Pros
make own schedule most of the time
Cons
people
Turn over was to great. Hostile environment
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 4, 2014
It had the feel of a all boys club. It was like stepping back into the 1960's. They were quick to write everyone up and then write a procedure. The union was always filling grievances. They would fire one person for sleeping on the job, then look the other way when someone else did it.
Pros
co-workers were great
Cons
no lunches can't leave your desk
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 30, 2014
Helping students either on phone or in person regarding their financial aid process, bill, how to get loans.
Learned to work well with everyone, feels good to help others,
Co-workers are great. We all work well together.
Hardest part is if there is no way to help a student stay in school and
be successful.
Helping the students that we could help felt good.
Pros
lunch, free gym, retirement, lots of holidays off
Cons
no room for advancement/to make more money
Structured work environment great opportunity to learn
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2013
I have been employed in two different departments at Duquesne University. Both have provided structured work environments where students work along side professionals in the field. This creates an atmosphere that encourages learning and rewards those who work hard.
Pros
working along side field professionals
Cons
limited hours of operation
Awesome work environment
Director of Basketball Administration (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 2, 2014
Work directly with the head coach and director of basketball operations to plan travel for the Women's Basketball team. I also manage the managers, and practice players. I assist on the court in drills and work directly with the post players. Assist in creating scouting and recruiting materials.
Renewed Fantastic Experience
Multimedia Technology student/employee (Former Employee) –  Music School. Guitar & Music Technology DepartmentApril 16, 2013
In general, doing my graduate practicum in the music school, where I received my undergrad degree. Create web sites, author interactive media, train staff as to web building, thoroughly loved this job, even though it only turned into a two year assignment.
Pros
free music gear & literature
Very busy but friendly office envirionment
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Pittsbutgh, PAAugust 9, 2014
Loved the interaction with students and with assisting them with getting tutors to help with their education.
Pros
very laid back office environment.
Cons
training other people, especially the teenagers.
My position was part-time so I was not able to rate all categories
Parking Attendant 1 (Former Employee) –  Various locations on campusNovember 18, 2011
I was hired at Duquesne as a part-time employee hoping to obtain a full-time position within 2 years. Unfortunately the opportunity never presented itself so I feel it's time to move on. Duquesne University was a great company for work.
Campus not overwhelming.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 5, 2014
Being close to downtown Pittsburgh is a plus. Everything you needed is right on campus in one convenient location.
Pros
close to downtown pittsburgh
Cons
lack of diversity
Great place to gain teaching experience.
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 12, 2014
Overall, a good place to conduct research for a PhD degree. My days are usually 8-12 hours long with numerous experiments set up and teaching included.
Research Assistant job in machine learning area
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 13, 2014
Programmed in Java on machine learning projects;

Performed Authorship Attribution tests on Enron corpus;