Duquesne University Employee Reviews

Learned a lot and a great place to learn
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 5, 2018
I was a graduate assistant at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh PA.
I worked in the media department which is a small department so the work environment resembled that of a small family.
Pros
Free Tuition
Cons
No room for advancement
Not a Positive Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 4, 2017
Not a Positive Environment to work in. Management was very bad at basic communication and everyone was only looking to cover themselves. Some senior people did not care at all about the quality of the job they provided and management never took action to correct this. No opportunities to advance, very low pay, and departments were antagonistic towards each other.
great teamwork
Media Team Member (Current Employee) –  Palumbo centerNovember 16, 2017
The atmosphere is friendly and the team makes workers feel welcome. The jobs are diverse and entertaining and students can apply knowledge from class in a practical setting
Pros
free food
Cons
less working hours
Great Place To Work
Board Member (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 6, 2017
Great place to work with strong support and interaction with the management team. It was very rewarding to work with the students and see them develop the necessary business skills.
Fun workplace
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed RA-ing at Duquesne. The staff are enthusiastic about resident life and make meetings/required events enjoyable. Culture gets two-thumbs up
I was a part-time clinical instructor
Clinical Instructor-Part-time (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 20, 2017
I helped to develop the Community Curriculum that included student experience in the poverty stricken communities in Pittsburgh, PA. These experiences included visits and clinical experiences in homeless shelters, homeless clinical sites, the jailed population, hearing and vision impaired schools, sites that may not be in a "normal" student curriculum.
Other responsibilities also included classroom instruction, physical assessment skills in a lab situation, and supervision and evaluation in each clinical site.
Pros
I loved the enthusiasm, the willingness to learn, from my students
Workplace culture
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 7, 2017
It is very political. Students are selected for graduate assistants based on unfair reasons, rather than selected by merit. Job requirements were not challenging.
Good
Student Aide / Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 31, 2017
Good place. Gotta write a review for this app. You won't get this job unless you're a chemistry student. But if you end up there and have the opportunity presented then by all means go for it.
Fun place to work but lack of results
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 25, 2017
Duquesne was a great place to work for the culture but were not very results orientated which I would have preferred. There was no rush to publish and some of the analytical facilities are lacking
Well balanced work environment
University Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 23, 2017
The work environment provided was well balanced between working and opportunity for advancement. Any work was noted by the supervisor and additional responsibilities were noticed and taken into account.
Good school
Adjunct Instructor; Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 19, 2017
I am appreciative of my time with Duquesne. I enjoyed teaching courses there as classrooms were "wired" for multiple styles of teaching. There was plenty of academic freedom to explore ideas, and the compensation for my work seemed appropriate for the duties performed.
fun workplace
Help Desk Support (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 23, 2017
Duquesne University's work environment is extremely fun, and introduces you to many people on campus. Not just the students, but faculty, and even the dean. I am a people person, and working at Duquesne gives me great experience in customer service.
Great workplace and environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 21, 2017
A great opportunity for students to submerge themselves in an educational environment and explore their specific fields of research. Great mentors in the the for of principal investigators.
Graduate Student
Project Coordinator / Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 12, 2017
Paid Horribly. No direction. Horrible, unorganized professors. Expect more than you are being paid for. Professors are incompetent and not open minded. If you do not agree with their extremely liberal policies, they hate you.
underpaid, seems unstable
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 3, 2017
Nothing is transparent about what is happening there, top level salaries keep going up while pay is frozen at very low levels for everyone else and jobs are cut...not a good place to work.
n/a
Cashier/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 2, 2017
Come in clock in go to the register and work. I learned about the union since working for Duquesne. Management is ok and the workplace culture is great. The hardest part about the job is the rush. The customers are the most enjoyable part of the job to me.
Pros
free Food
Cons
season breaks
Limited advancement - great coworkers
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15272May 31, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working here, however, the Dean of the School of Business was inexperienced and caused chaos throughout the school. Many of my coworkers, including me, had their positions eliminated because of financial difficulty due to poor management.
Pros
Wonderful benefits including 22 days off per year for vacation
Cons
Limited opportunity to advance through entire career
Duquesne had some quality people working in different departments.
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 30, 2017
Overall Duquesne University had positive qualities. Certain co-workers had great outlook regarding overall work ethic. One suggestion I would make would be aimed at improving different department communication. Essentially all campus departments should speak more frequently so everyone is on similar page.
Nice place to teach
Adjunct instrucor in ESL (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 25, 2017
I taught at DU for 16 years as an adjunct instructor. The ESL program was a nice program in that people who worked there were always striving to do a better job than before. I received help and encouragement from supervisors and colleagues, and understanding about my personal needs. The buildings were always modern, clean, and in good repair. Instructional technology was always first rate.
Pros
coworkers and supervisors, facilities
Cons
no security from semester to semester
Depiction of Duquesene University (in my opinion)
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 24, 2017
A typical day is very high paced with many distractions. I meet with students one on one and in groups while balancing registration and emergency instances for students and faculty. I answer 80-100 emails daily. I learned patience, discernment, reliability, and impeccable work ethics. The culture is constantly changing but I adapt easily as I am a team worker. The hardest part is during registration semesters maintaining a 250 plus student load on top of emergencies, teaching, and family. I love working with students and their families because our mission statement is "we serve God by serving students, families, faculty and staff."
Pros
Very good perks
Cons
consistant change