Durham County Government Employee Reviews

I like my job.
Real Property Tax Appraiser (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 29, 2013
My day involves assigning and assessing value to residential properties. I analyze and research market patterns and comply with state statutes in regards to ad volarem tax laws. I've learned the dynamics in differentiating between market value and tax value. I work with an exceptional and diverse team. We are led by a management team that is consistently evolving with the needs of our environment and government. The hardest part of my job, if I have to identify one, would probably be working with the elements. Parts of my job requires on site analysis. During this part of the job you are dealing with the mood of mother nature (hot, cold wet, etc). With that being said, the most enjoyable part of my job comes along with that. The outside, on site, in the public aspect of my job gives me an opportunity to communicate with the taxpayers and field certain questions. I enjoy being able to educate and shine light on certain issues that aren't fully understood by the average tax-payer!
Durham County employees flourish
Solid Waste Site Attendant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 4, 2013
As a Durham County employee, you will experience excellent support staff, including a seasoned Human Resource department that knows what they are doing. You will get the training you need to successfully move up in the workplace. They strive to create a safe and effective work environment, with all resources at hand.

A typical day at my job includes dealing with customers(Durham County residents). My job requirements meant that I would need to direct and manage the intake of solid waste and debris from Durham County residents. I met some of the nicest people at the job site. MY co-workers are excellent people and hard workers, however I get little interactions with them, as we switch shifts when I enter the site.

I've learned of the inner-workings of the Durham County Government and what entails by working with/for them.

The management teams are skilled at what they do and are excellent supervisors. I learned some practical management techniques that I may be able to use in my management practices as well.
Pros
Excellent staff, support, human resources
Great place
Income Maintenance Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 2, 2013
Durham County is great place to work with many benefits. I would recommend this County for anyone looking for professional experience
Pros
flexibility
Cons
not always a professional environment
Dco
Foster Home Licensing Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 18, 2013
Work load is manageable, lots of learning opportunities, great Health Care Benefits
Excellent job. Offers me the freedom to move around daily
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 11, 2014
On a typical day I pickup and deliver mail to about twenty different departments. I sort mail, check post office boxes, state courier boxes.
Pros
My day is spent working mainly by myself.
Cons
The mail must go rain, sleet or shine.
Working outside.
Solid Waste Site Attendant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 29, 2014
Busy days with a lot of traffice. Working outside in the Winter was the hardest. Meeting new people was enjoyable.
Saving the children
Processing Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 17, 2013
Ensuring the children are protected and safe. Helping families to become a strong structured family.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Death of a child
Productive and Visionary Workplace
Intern, Assistant to the County Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 21, 2014
Challenging and rewarding work where communication and compassion are key.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Durham County Government. Our community is ready to answer.

4.7