Durham County Government Employee Reviews

Potential
Tax Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 11, 2017
While at Durham County learned about tax law as it relates to real and personal property by providing customer service to patrons via incoming call or in person by accepting payment for tax bills.
Awesome Benefits
Child Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 26, 2017
DC Government has great benefits that are competitive with private sector organizations.
It is evident that they have a genuine care for the employees health and well being
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 20, 2017
Great place to work and good benefits. Pay is very competetive. Working here is great, but can be very tiring. High call volume!!! I would always reccomend this county.
Eye opening
Processing Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 1, 2017
Learning new program and gain new experienxe throughout each service that is provided by social services. Busy on a daily basis wirh new application s to be entered..meet new people every day from different cultures.
Perfect Job until management change
Litter Control Investigator/Recycling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 20, 2017
Love the job and loved the people I worked with, Family atmosphere until management changed hands. Moral went down and heads started to roll. Mine included. Was terminated while in the hospital.
Pros
Great benefits and people
Cons
Management had no people skills
Dysfunctional
Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 16, 2017
This place will continue to be dysfunctional until they begin to hire and promote based on skills and not the length of time with the agency. There is severe "bullying" by intimidation. Until changes are made in the Human Resources Department this will continue.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Incompetent supervisors that use intimidation as their means of supervising
Productive and Fun workplace
Social Worker II- Adult Services (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 11, 2017
Durham County Government is a great place to work. All staff is friendly. I would recommend this agency to anyone who enjoys the human service field.
Pros
flex days
Cons
micro management
Great Work Atmosphere, Take home vehicle
Litter Control Investigator/Recycling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 1, 2017
Worked 37.5 hours a week, great benefits.
Loved my co-workers.
Learned how to create a multi million dollar budget, train other co-workers, obtain FEMA training. The greatest part of my job was my co-workers, supervisor. and director.
Take home truck.
The hardest part of my job was getting Durham County residents to clean up their yards.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, Great Co-Workers, Not Stuck in an Office
Cons
Essential personel during bad weather, new management
Love it
Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 26, 2016
The people were so caring and approachable! I loved working with the group of people I worked with. Hopefully I can do this internship again for summer 2016.
Excellent job. Offers me the freedom to move around daily
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 11, 2014
On a typical day I pickup and deliver mail to about twenty different departments. I sort mail, check post office boxes, state courier boxes.
Pros
My day is spent working mainly by myself.
Cons
The mail must go rain, sleet or shine.
Productive and Visionary Workplace
Intern, Assistant to the County Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 21, 2014
Challenging and rewarding work where communication and compassion are key.
Working outside.
Solid Waste Site Attendant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 29, 2014
Busy days with a lot of traffice. Working outside in the Winter was the hardest. Meeting new people was enjoyable.
Dco
Foster Home Licensing Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 18, 2013
Work load is manageable, lots of learning opportunities, great Health Care Benefits
I like my job.
Real Property Tax Appraiser (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 29, 2013
My day involves assigning and assessing value to residential properties. I analyze and research market patterns and comply with state statutes in regards to ad volarem tax laws. I've learned the dynamics in differentiating between market value and tax value. I work with an exceptional and diverse team. We are led by a management team that is consistently evolving with the needs of our environment and government. The hardest part of my job, if I have to identify one, would probably be working with the elements. Parts of my job requires on site analysis. During this part of the job you are dealing with the mood of mother nature (hot, cold wet, etc). With that being said, the most enjoyable part of my job comes along with that. The outside, on site, in the public aspect of my job gives me an opportunity to communicate with the taxpayers and field certain questions. I enjoy being able to educate and shine light on certain issues that aren't fully understood by the average tax-payer!
Saving the children
Processing Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 17, 2013
Ensuring the children are protected and safe. Helping families to become a strong structured family.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Death of a child
Durham County employees flourish
Solid Waste Site Attendant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 4, 2013
As a Durham County employee, you will experience excellent support staff, including a seasoned Human Resource department that knows what they are doing. You will get the training you need to successfully move up in the workplace. They strive to create a safe and effective work environment, with all resources at hand.

A typical day at my job includes dealing with customers(Durham County residents). My job requirements meant that I would need to direct and manage the intake of solid waste and debris from Durham County residents. I met some of the nicest people at the job site. MY co-workers are excellent people and hard workers, however I get little interactions with them, as we switch shifts when I enter the site.

I've learned of the inner-workings of the Durham County Government and what entails by working with/for them.

The management teams are skilled at what they do and are excellent supervisors. I learned some practical management techniques that I may be able to use in my management practices as well.
Pros
Excellent staff, support, human resources
Great place
Income Maintenance Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 2, 2013
Durham County is great place to work with many benefits. I would recommend this County for anyone looking for professional experience
Pros
flexibility
Cons
not always a professional environment