Durham Public Schools

Durham Public Schools Employer Reviews

This job is a learning experience but it is an overall good job to have. I love the team work.
Bus Monitor (Current Employee), Durham, North CarolinaMarch 2, 2015
Pros: four hour break, meeting different students, off in the summer
Cons: no health coverage, disruptive, disrespectful, dangerous students, old buses
Upon arriving to work, I would have a bus assigned to me. Then I would board that bus and ride with the driver to maintain order on the bus. This includes helping the driver with directions if needed. Make sure that the students are safe on the bus and noone is being harrassed or bullied in any way.
Durham is a very difficult place to work.
Educator (Former Employee), Durham NCFebruary 20, 2015
The population of students make working in Durham challenging. The administration can be micro mangers. However, the coworkers were always willing to help.
great job
Lead Supervisor - Maintenance Division (Former Employee), Durham, NCFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: great job
Cons: laid off
Delivered food and supplies to the Durham Public schools.also worked in the warehouse . general shipping duties, Great job with advancement .
Motivational and positive culture
Secretary (Former Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 25, 2015
This organization motivate its employees through different activities and interactions with parents and students. Staff members are very friendly and support each other to close the gaps to reach the school's goals. Management and staff work hard to provide resources to students and staff members to their jobs. Very secure environment for staff members and students.
Interesting and Fun to work with kids.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: you get to meet different people
Cons: you don't stay in one place long enough to build relationships
a typical day would be getting to know the school and the teachers around the class you will be teaching. The hardest part of the job is learning the children names and telling them good-by at the end of the assignment. Management is different from school to school but they all have whats best for the children as a common goal. I learned that each child is special.
Self Fullfilling
EXCEPTIONAL CHILDREN SCHOOL NURSE (Current Employee), Durham, NCOctober 28, 2014
Pros: vacation days
Cons: no respect, no raise in 5 years
I work with children with disabilities. I enjoy this population, and they appreciate you and everything you do for them.
I have learned that their perception is very astute. You can try to fool the world, but you cannot fool them.
I have enjoyed the co-workers that are there for the children. Some of them are there for the social aspect, or to pass the time. It is morst definitely not the money.
The most difficuclt part of my job is dealing with administration. They do not understand nursing in the school system. I am not sure what they feel our role is, but dealing with a lot of them has been a challenge.
I enjoy coming to school daily just to see a big smile on the face of the children. It melts your heart. I feel very compasionat towards these children. They do not always receive this everywhere they go.
A Day in the Life of DPS
Data Manager (Former Employee), HNTHSSeptember 17, 2014
I am a very eager and self motivated individual. I enjoy working in positive working environments. I also enjoy working with others as much and as often as possible. The most enjoyable part of my job is the children. The hardest part of the job is working in a low morale atmosphere.
Tough place to teach, but worth it!
Orchestra Teacher (Current Employee), Durham, NCSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: flexibility in teaching style- free to create unique classroom culture
Cons: low pay and low educational standards- no students get held back.
DPS is a large group of enthusiastic educators who are doing their best despite strange state laws which make our jobs more confusing with state education standards, skinny budgets, and low wages. It is a great place to start a career in education, but is definitely a lot of work!
Productive learning environment where children can explore and discover as they gain knowledge.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Durham, NCAugust 18, 2014
Education is empowering. The ability to read, write, and speak are the rights of every individual. It is my pleasure to help the young minds develop at an early age the ability to explore all that the world has to offer. I am willing to share my knowledge to help everyone become all that they desire to be. There is infinite knowledge available, let me help you get started to gain your share by helping you learn the basics.
Flexible, lots of support, very patient Administrator, diversity.
Teacher (Current Employee), Durham, NCJuly 23, 2014
A typical day at work is expecting something new everyday, the students bring fun and humor to the table. You learn a wealth of information from them. I learn that this job is challenging as there are things that I am not aware of coming from a different county and grade level. The Administration and staff are very supportive and confidential. The hardest part of my job is the commute. The most enjoyable part of my job is the students.
Just a repeat
Language Facilitator (Current Employee), Durham, NCJuly 21, 2014
Ok, school district. I wish there was more support for Special needs population. No raise in 7 years.
Stable and fun envoriment to work
Child Nutrition Service (Current Employee), Durham, NCJuly 12, 2014
Have learned many skills in the kitchen. obtain manager skills with other employees
LOVED IT
Math Intervention Specialist/Fifth Grade Educator (Former Employee), Durham, NCJuly 12, 2014
Help different grade levels with mathematics as well as set up the new science lab in the school which would be beneficial to all grades especially 5th grade as they take the science EOG.
Productive and safe workplace
Teacher K, 2nd, 3rd grades (Former Employee), Durham, NCJuly 7, 2014
Pros: co workers and my students
Cons: would've enjoyed more pay
The most enjoyable part of my job while I worked for Durham Public Schools was watching and helping with the accomplishments and achievements of my students.
Summary
Workstation Technician II (Former Employee), Durham, NCJune 30, 2014
DPS was great to work to for. The work environment was easy to work in with no mircomanagement.
Rewarding environment
Art Teacher (Current Employee), Durham, NCJune 9, 2014
Pros: partnership with the ymca
Cons: short breaks
My job is that I teach visual art to middle school students at a Montessori middle school. I learn to deal with different types of students' and adults. My co-workers and I have a cordial relationship where most of us normally interact with one another at school and leave our personal dealings outside of school. The hardest part of the job is saying goodbye to meaningful students when they have to move The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing students' confidence build when they are taught how to do something and then create on their own.
Poor Management, Hostile Work Environment
Staff (Former Employee), Durham, NCJune 8, 2014
I worked at a School for two years where employees were permitted to treat others with open hostility. I found the lack of support to be deplorable. I have never seen an environment that would allow such immature behavior. Further it was condoned by the central office. I do not recommend working for DPS. I'm certain if they read this, it will be clear who wrote it.
Group Leader
Group Leader (Former Employee), Durham, NCMay 14, 2014
Conducted and coordinated student activities
Supervised outside contracts for students
A great place to make a difference
Teacher - Special Education (Current Employee), Lakeview High SchoolApril 16, 2014
Pros: students have an opportunity to make strides and return to their home schools.
Cons: strength of gang influence among students body, low academic performance of students
Lakeview school has been a great place to work. The leadership of the school is fair, supportive of teachers and staff, and open to any ideas that will improve the culture and environment of learning for the students.

In this environment I have learned how to teach and help students who have difficulty controlling their anger and their behaviors. Many of the students are progressing below their academic grade levels due to suspensions and environmental conditions at home and in the community.

My greatest joy comes in a day when I am successful in helping a student or co-worker think about ideas or problems from a different or more creative point of view. Watching students become engaged in learning with the ability to apply higher order thinking skills in ways that are relevant to their lives is very rewarding in this environment.

I enjoy working with my co-workers because even though we may have different approaches to teaching or to student discipline I feel that all of my co-workers genuinely have the student's best interest at heart.
Group Leaders are awesome
Group Leader (Current Employee), Durham, NCApril 15, 2014
I love children,and I love working with children, Children are my passion and being an afterschool group leader gives me the opportunity to express my love for children.

1 2 3