Durham Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and great enviornment
Family and Consumer Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 8, 2016
A typical day at work starts off with my planning period. I work on my lesson plans, put the objective on the board, the essential question and the agenda. I also grade papers and go to the grocery store on Fridays when the students prepare meals. I also perform hall duty and go to faculty meetings and Professional Learning Community workshops on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I also collaborate with my co-workers in the workshops. The hardest part of my job is the discipline problems. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping my students reach their goals and seeing them graduate from their home schools. My school is an alternative school.
Pros
The time I get off work/ smaller class sizes
Cons
We have to eat lunch with the students
Great place to work if you have little ones.
SIMS/Records/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 1, 2016
I enjoyed working with DPS because it afforded me the opportunity to work where my child attended school. It allowed me to be with him from kindergarten until 5th grade. These were the crucial and foundation years where I really needed to be involved.
Pros
Work, Life, Balance
Cons
Salary
A growing school district
Coordinator of Grants, Research, and Development (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 6, 2016
Durham Public Schools is a growing, diverse school district that has many unique attributes. While here, the organization culture has shifted and the leadership has adjusted to meet the needs and demands.
Great Place to work if you enjoy children
COMMUNITY EDUCATION GROUP LEADER (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 20, 2015
A typical day at work is preparing activities for students when they arrive. Learning how to interact with a diverse group of students from different backgrounds and cultures. Management was good, but as always there are times when communication is not the best. Enjoyed my co-workers because we all worked together and assisted one another with what needed to be done. The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with difficult parents. The most enjoyable part is seeing the improvement of the students as the year progress.
Pros
Getting to know families
Cons
Not realy able to advance
Rigid structure with inflexible management stuck in 20th century
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 16, 2015
Despite the reputation of Durham School of the Arts, most of the high schools are understaffed, underfunded (our school had 3 laptop carts for 1900 students), and stuck in the factory model of education. Innovation is tacitly encouraged but little support is provided for teachers thinking about breaking the mold. No funding for professional development. The only advancement from the classroom is into management, where the mindset is status quo with fiddling around the edges.
A Diverse Place To Work
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 28, 2016
I work with all types of cultures here at DSA. We do not experience coming in to the same thing each day. My co workers are the best to work with. I have learned to have patience especially with the parents.

The hardest part of the job is working with difficult students and parents. The most enjoyable is being able to see the smiles I bring to the public.
Pros
Cons
headaches
the school system is a good place to work, and learn more about how the school system works
Child Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 3, 2016
you get the food ready for that day and have it reasdy when the ready of the worker come to work and before the students come for breakfast and lunch. you learn how to work with other and how not let stuff that people say to you get to you in different ways this goes for parents and co-workers if you just do your job and get along with the students and parents your day will go easy, the most enjoyble of the day is that you have been a good day with students and teacher and perents and you gotten thought it with off getting mad or upset and you come back tomorrow and do it all over again wirth a smile on your face.
work by choice
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 25, 2016
Our kids today are changing and times are changing. Be prepared to have tolerance and temperance. My preference is working with elementary aged kids. Although working with middle school kids is a challenge you must be ready and teach them or assist them with learning.
Great Place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 9, 2015
Being in the school system was working out really well with my Personal Life. The management was very good. The only reason I left was because the position wasn't full-time
Pros
Set TImes
Cons
No benifits
I had good managers at the school location I worked at. They were very supportive.
School Based Support Team/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 30, 2016
Great company to work for when you have small children of your own.

Management at the school I worked at was very supportive.
If you love working with children, this for you
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 28, 2016
A typical day at work, would be watching after the children. It was the responsibility of the Group leader to set up centers, provide assistance for homework, and any other basic needs.
Friendly and conducive work environment.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 19, 2016
I supervise students while the classroom teacher is away.

Create a favorable environment to facilitate learning.

Perform any other duties as assigned.
Pros
Opportunity to interact with staff.
Cons
Unpredictable work schedule.
Great Fun Place To Work
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 24, 2016
Working with Kids everyday you learn something new from them. I have earned a lot of patience, more ways to understand children, body language and mucch more. Working for DPS has taught me a lot! I love it!
Not really about education but more about resume building; no one really cares about the kids.
Testing Technician (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 17, 2015
Durham Public Schools like other government workplaces is extremely political. A typical day entails communicating with various organization stakeholders and ensuring that top notch customer service is provided. Creating processes for program implementation. Management is horrible, most managers want to get into to mud of office disputes as well as being the face of positivity and those two things can't happen at the same time. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the negative workplace environment. The most enjoyable part is when there is actual student growth data.
Good career to begin with...
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 2, 2016
Due to NC's low educator/teacher pay, it's a good beginning for a solid career, then one must move on for better towards retirement.
Pros
Security and benefits
Cons
Low pay
Helping students and teachers find success
Coordinator of Grants, Research, and Development (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 21, 2016
I have learned much while working in this organization about leadership and overall development. I enjoy seeing people grow in their own capacity.
Great Place to Work
SIMS/Records/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 11, 2016
Working for DPS allowed me to keep a great work, life, balance. That is what I enjoyed the most about them. My son was starting kindergarten and I wanted to be with him through his elementary education. Working with DPS afforded me that.
Pros
Work Hours
Cons
Pay
Challenging but provides opportunity for personal growth and development as a teacher.
Biology Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hillside High Durham, NCJuly 7, 2015
I am truly passionate about teaching, and will make it happen wherever I am. My students and I have a good understanding--we talk. They become like family to each other as we learn and grow.

I teach Covey's Seven Habits for character and leadership skills, and have learned to discuss what works for them within our learning environment.

I drill them hard, have high expectations for behavior and respect and do find that if classroom management is not established from the beginning, learning will be hindered.

I work with other teachers and share from my personal experiences over the past 21 years, since many of them are quite younger and inexperienced.

The greatest part of my job is seeing my students grow in character and knowledge--their scores reflect what the district and state desire, but the character growth means so much more to me.
Pros
Work day ends early.
Cons
Work day starts early; planning time often consumed by meetings, often called at the last minute.
relaxed work place
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 12, 2016
this place is the most relaxed work environment I've worked in independent working relaxed bosses. professional atmosphere with great people around
Life of a Teacher
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 13, 2013
Teachers work long hours over 10+ per day with little compensation. They assume many expenses out of pockets and have extensive work on nights, weekends,holidays and workdays. The most enjoyable part of the job is the growth and joy of learning from the students. A typical day begins at 7:00 a.m. and ends when the teacher can no longer endure any more work. Education is becoming an invaluable career to lawmakers while it is the most important career one could ever have.
Pros
making a difference in the life of a student
Cons
long hours, low wages, no job security, burnout quick, not enough time to do everything

Durham Public Schools Reviews by Location