Durham Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ivory tower management mentality made it tough to feel good about your work
former employee (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 20, 2017
DPS has a lot going for it and employs some wonderful people, but the superintendent's office is top heavy with a lot of people carrying advanced degrees but afraid to think outside the box. New ideas were looked at with immediate skepticism, and change was discouraged, even when it was desperately needed. Problem employees were shuffled around instead of dealt with, and they often landed at the central office. The culture of the office is one of fear, feeling like someone is always watching you (maybe the administrative assistants, who tend to tattle), with no support from HR or anyone else. Eventually your ambition and hope dies off. This place should have been a wonderful job, but the culture is toxic.
Pros
some good and dedicated people
Cons
toxic work environment, poor leadership
Fantastic School District
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 17, 2017
I was a young teacher when I entered Durham Public Schools. I was immediately surrounded by mentors who taught me everything I know about being an effective teacher. My principals also gave me opportunities to become a teacher leader as I was given a chance to be the Academically and Intellectually Gifted Lead Teacher and a trainer for the then new Envision Mathematics Program. The experiences, training, and mentorship I received in Durham Public Schools became the basis of my career.
Pros
Excellent training and leadership opportunities
Cons
Compensation and Benefits
Awesome
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 11, 2017
Great workplace. Excellent work environment and a team player atmosphere. Everyone cares about each and every individual. Excellent customer service.
Decent place to work.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NC 27704May 30, 2017
The school I worked at was overall a good place. The administration team was easy going for the most part. One of the things I didn't like was the many other activities that always interrupted class time and the excessive amount tests that had to be given.
Pros
Flexible management
Cons
Too much testing
Do Not Work Here
Exceptional Children Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 25, 2017
If you're a beginning teacher DPS is not the district for you. I could go on for weeks about the lack of support from the bottom to the top. I would not recommend to anybody try wake county.
Challenging but striving for excellence
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 5, 2017
Great administration team. Always supportive of students and teachers' needs. Accessible and attentive to needs both in classroom and out.
Supportive teaching environment.
Pros
Diverse student body, DPS is open to new pedagogy and supports classroom innovation
Cons
Bulky district administration/too much observation in meetings/lacking trust in teaching skill
Decent, productive
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 4, 2017
Didn't feel that I receive the support I that should. My first working with school system wasn't bad. It was my second year that was challenging and didn't get the support.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not supportive
Extremely fun
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Burnet, TXApril 30, 2017
Loads of fun and excitement. This is a highly active position. It is 100% outdoor and in the summer heat. The directors are supportive and helpful. Great job security.
Not a bad place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 18, 2017
The planning and data tracking is never ending. I have never taught in another district so I have no basis of comparison. The energy level of the staff is high as is morale, the work load is huge however.
Pros
Great teachers!!
Cons
Teaching is hard!
excellent
Data Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 17, 2017
Excellent school system to work with. I have no complaints regarding the data manager position I held and the staff and students. Everything was good and I enjoyed my employment.
Fun, but stressful place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 23, 2017
During my time with Durham Public schools I enjoyed working there. However, the management often gave me grief about vacation time. The expectation was that vacation time would be stored and saved for retirement. Even though it was common knowledge that I had medical problems that required many doctor's appointments this was used to prevent me from promotion.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
stressful enviornments
School Bus Driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 16, 2017
• Ensure safe transportation of children and adults according to program policy
• Comply with all applicable safety requirements, laws and regulations
• Maintain records including bus safety and maintenance checks, bus logs, and others as required
• Notify Site Supervisor of any safety or maintenance concerns.
• Support Bus Aide with appropriate, positive guidance with children and in establishing expectations for child behavior
I worked for the Durham Public Schools System for several years
Math and Special Education Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 14, 2017
I worked for the local school system in Durham, NC as a Substitute teacher for several years. I liked working with students as a Substitute teacher because I was able to change classrooms by the day or by the week. I felt as thought I was able to try to maintain order in the classroom, and start anew everyday. Some classrooms are more challenging than others and I had to work to try to resolve issues the moment they came up to get the students focused and back on track. I liked co-teaching in Special Education classrooms, in a Teacher Assistant role. I liked helping to circulate around the classroom and help students with their Independent work. I liked watching students as they began understanding the lesson. I enjoyed seeing teachers work with curriculum standards in order to see what they wanted students to learn about. We addressed goals as a school community, even as a bounced around from school to school, I saw where the teachers and administrators chose important goals by grade level to help students learn by doing activities, taking field trips, or working closely with Specialists. I liked helping students to feel confident and ready to learn.
Pros
I went on field trips, and spent time doing learning activities with students
Cons
Using discipline strategies as a co-teacher
good place to work
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 1, 2017
great place to work
school was flexible
administration was supportive
enjoyed the people I worked with and the school culture
Pay was ok while I was still in school but I did not get a raise after I graduated
Great way to balance working with teachers for students
MTSS Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 1, 2017
A typical day involves support for teachers, communicating with parents, and brainstorming with the problem solving team.

Most enjoyable part is witnessing student progress and finding research based interventions that work.

Hardest part: Everyone understanding the process the same way.
Rewarding work not for the faint of heart
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 30, 2017
The typical work day is hectic but it settles down when students mellow out. You must be well organized in order to function effectively.
School Teacher working with kids
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 28, 2017
Monitoe kids 25 to 30 students.insure they safety in and outside school teaching kids work as a subsitute.monitor kids
Great bunch of people to work for and with
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durham County, NCJanuary 12, 2017
At DPS I was able to go to several schools and work as a substitute teacher. I learned how things worked and flowed in the public education system. I was enlightened and amazed at the opportunity afforded to me.
Opportunity to meet others.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Durham, North CarolinaJanuary 8, 2017
I enjoyed working at Durham Public Schools as a Substitute Teacher. I got the opportunity to work with the students, faculty and staff. A very diverse environment. I was in control of the classroom when the regular teacher was away. I came to work early in the morning to find my room location and prepare for the day. I would look at the class roster and assignment for that day. I always wrote my name on the blackboard for the students to know my name and their assignment instructions. Some classes were more challenging than others. The teachers were very friendly and helpful. They shared valuable information with me that made me a better substitute teacher. The hardest part of the job for me was remembering some of the names of the students. The most enjoyable part of my job was a free period. A time to eat lunch and take a break.
Pros
Gaining the experience to decide if I wanted to get license to teach.
Cons
Trying to keep the students focused.
good
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 30, 2016
Assisted lead teacher with management of class, office work, and group work. I would also assist other teaches with office work supervise class while in meetings and duty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Durham Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval