DURHAM SCHOOL SERVICES

DURHAM SCHOOL SERVICES Employer Reviews

Poor Management makes awful work enviroment
Driver (Former Employee), Albany New YorkFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: good way to get your cdl
Cons: they need a psychologist to review tape and instruct management.
I tried to be polite when I worked there and was treated with the attitude of a slave, the training when transporting student was given to me by a supervisor, that person could do nothing but yell at students like trailer trash, Management had no standards, to adhere to, if they did they did not adhere to them from supervisor to supervisor. has for the employees i worked with they were great but like i said they acted by example from management, which is no professionalism from most of the trailer trash acting management,
Fast pace with great social atmosphere
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee), Ankeny, IAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great kids to work with as well as great way to the learn the city
Cons: split shift of two-six hours a day, not consistent hours
My day would start out with the route directions pick up and drop off times. I would then do my Pre-trip inspection before starting and leaving for the day, after I was done with my route for the day I would come back to the bus barn and do my post-trip inspection and finish all paper work for the days trips.
Diversity
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Roselle, NJFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: customer relations
Cons: bad weather days
Durham great company to work for. Definetly different cultures to learn from. Keeps you on your feet, and maintains you bussy throught the day. Every day is different and can change from good to bad in seconds . Dealing with schools districs, school Pricipals, teachers, students, parents, Board of Education. etc etc.. like I said keeps you on your feed. Always needs to pre-plan for the worst. specialy if the weather changes. Keep focus and communication is the key to success.
Bus Aide
Bus Aide (Former Employee), Beach Park,IL & Lake Villa, ILFebruary 25, 2015
I ensured that the students got to and from school safely. I was trained on how to handle a variety of situations. I was also trained to be with special needs children.
demanding place
Customer Services Manager (Former Employee), Beaumont, TXFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: being around kids
Cons: too many hours, not enough help from upper management
work started at 5:30 and ended at 5:30 pm
I was on call 24 hours a day.
upper management was not always helpful
I enjoyed getting to be around children
treated poorly
drive (Former Employee), Lake villa ilFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: 2hr lunch break during split. of course not paid
Cons: all
Sad to says but this place is the worst a waste of time all lies. Over worked under paid treated like a dog poor leadership no structure no raise in two yrs. Yelled at all the time for no reason. Please don't apply here no future. The shop crew maintenance are ruDe here's left me in the cold could not even give me a ride home. Lake villa is awful.
very poor management
Mechanic (Former Employee), GAFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: free weekends
Cons: poor pay for what you are expected to do, poor planning
Shop has been through nine mechanics in under 3 years and they seem to think there is no problem
Talk a lot about safety but saving a buck is more important.
Friendly, Out Going, Supportive
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Burleson, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere, friendly, great routes
Cons: went by a different trip schedule than other durham school services locations
Durham School Services was a enjoyable job. Management and Co-Workers worked side by side to implement, resolve,correct and improve all and any situations that arose within the Company. I got the pleasure to experience driving different styles of buses. We were given opportunities to express our thoughts and concerns with management at all times, open door policy.
easy to do, must have an CDL-B
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: you are done driving at 9:00 am
Cons: up very early in the morings
must be willing to get up early and work in all kings of weather. like student, enjoy driving. enjoy assisting the speical needs students. have patients.
Transportation...
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Crowley, TXJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: it's a job
Cons: low pay
A typical day at Durham is preparing to safely transport student to and from school. The current management is okay, there is always room for growth in every element. The pay there isn't great but it's a friendly environment.
First school bus driver job they train me.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Norwalk, CAJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: free training
Cons: 4hrs a day only and the pay was not good
Free training for 2 months. I learned to be a bus driver. Management had their favorites and didn't give the new people much opportunities. Co-workers very unprofessional. Working with parents because at times supervisors didn't have your back specially when parents were wrong or putting their kids in harm by not following the bus rules. I am thankful they did train me and I was able to find a job with Norwalk La Mirada Unified.
Transportation company
Bus Driver/ 19A CE trainer (Current Employee), Rochester, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Drive students to and from school. Making sure the bus you drive is safe, with pre and post tripping.
Good company
Special Education Bus Driver (Former Employee), hayward, caJanuary 19, 2015
Had lots of extra activities for employees. Get up early pre-trip bus, pick up children and take to school. There is 3-5 hour break depending on the route you get. This could be good or bad. I used this time to attend classes.
bad Company
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Roseburg, ORJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: great work enviornment.
Cons: not enough hours for the average person.
Great company to work for had a great year and a half with this company and I would go back anytime they need me. The management staff is great at working with you where you need help whether its your training or time off for personal reasons or you just want or need more hours.
Good starting point for cdl drivers
Driver (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: they get you your cdl.
Cons: the hours arent very good, unless you have seniority.
If you want to learn how to drive commercial vehicles and get your cdl relatively free, this is a good place to start.
Does not care for employees
Multiple duties (Former Employee), TexasJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: driving a bus and working with kids is very rewarding and fun
Cons: everything else
While you may get some good management, never have I worked in such an awful job culture. Gossip runs rampant, even amongst the management. Those who step on others and stab people in the back are rewarded and promoted. The salary is low, the benefits are terrible. You can't trust anyone, and you always feel like your job is at risk.
Productive and challenging environment
Bus Attendant (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: off work every time the kids are out
Cons: not getting paid when we are out of school
My days at work consist of monitoring elementary and high school kids to and from school. Enforcing safety rules and guild lines to ensure they make it to school safe and in a timely manner. I also insist the driver with anything he or she may need. For example if we have a child on the bus that may need extra attention I will insist the driver with putting the child in a safety vest, also helping the child with concerns or questions they may need. The hardest part of my would be getting the kids to school in bad weather conditions. The most enjoyable part of my job is, seeing the big smiles the kids have on they faces when their telling me how their day went.
Caring management
Payroll Associate (Former Employee), Rosemead, CAJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: friendly atmosphere, caring management
Cons: limited time alotted to complete work task
Working at Durham was a good experience. Employees were all friendly and nice to work with. Management worked as a team to accomplish the daily work load.
A very important job with less recognition
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: working with children, solving problems
Cons: low pay with no benifits, stagnant management
Being a school bus driver is a job where the pay often doesn't justify the experience. Especially for the new driver. Children can be awfully testy at times . Parents don't understand why there aren't regular drivers on the route. If parents could ride the bus just once ,they would see why a lot of drivers don't stay on the job. Fortunately, many drivers at the company I work for are dedicated. They have seen through the hard times to realize they are providing a very important service. They care for children. Every day with these children presents something new and when somebody doesn't show up for the ride, children say something. It's kind of like it's own little culture and environment in the bus. The driver often provides the atmosphere. Is the experience going to be stressful or rewarding? Unfortunately, sometimes the experience doesn't go beyond unruly children in a loud environment and nobody to throw you a life saver. Add to that only part-time pay with no benefits and it is easy to see why there is a high turnover rate. As for me, I have been a bus driver for almost twenty years. For me it has been a tremendous experience.
New management does not enforce professionalism in employees.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Albany, NYJanuary 7, 2015
A breakroom filled to capacity, limited seating, children having to get up extremely early, people, cussing, arguing, People actually fighting on the job, only to be sent home for the day. I just sign in and go to bus. When monitor arrives, I then leave base. With this job. You cannot leave anything of value in your bus over night, such as gift certificates given to you by students parents for Christmas.They will be stolen and the cameras only work when bus is turned on. For the most part the people you select for friends are good people, It only takes a few people to ruin a job site, when management does not get involved people take advantage.

1 2 3 4 5

About DURHAM SCHOOL SERVICES

Wanna go for a ride? National Express has a seat. Specializing in┬ápassenger transportation, the company serves riders in North – Read more

DURHAM SCHOOL SERVICES Photos