DURHAM SCHOOL Employee Reviews

the job for someone that loves kids
Driver (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXJuly 2, 2016
My typical day at work will go by pretty smooth because I just went to work because I love working with children. The management here wasn't so good, some of the staff were quite rude but then the other drivers and monitors they have a good humor but it is mostly older people just looking for something to do.
Pros
You could definitly get your over time being on a regular route
Cons
No good benifits, special needs drivers dont get many field trips (overtime)
Great job, Hard to live with
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 20, 2016
Job is great and the work is fun and challenging. complete new management is rough and lack of benefits hurt. Split shift and lack of hours plus being seasonal is tough to make ends meet with.
Pros
split shift and seasonal, hourly pay, driving
Cons
split shift and seasonal and bad management
The job is the same as your child's school schedule.
Driver (Former Employee) –  MissouriAugust 15, 2016
It is part time work, no room for advancement. You work in every type of weather. Management has a lot to learn about how to manage, follow through and time management. Typical day begins at 5:30 AM year around. No school means no work most of the time. Co-workers are all in the same boat so we try to help each other. Hardest part is extreme weather conditions and out of control kids. The best part is delivering the precious kiddos to school or home safely with smiles on their faces.
Pros
Same work days as your child goes to school. You are off when they are out of school.
Cons
Healthcare, pay per route vs. per hour.
Safety is our number 1 goal.
Professional School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MISeptember 8, 2016
My typical work day starts by pre-triping the bus and starting my morning pick up. I greet my students and safely transport them to school. I often do a noon shuttle. And after lunch I punch back in and do my p.m. run. I have learned that I am an important member in my team of employees. And that we need each other to do our job to service our students. Management is hard but fair. The hardest part of my job is being off for the summer. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I am the first person that my students see when they leave home and that I greet them with a good morning smile. And have a good night drop off.
Cons
A good company to work for
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMarch 28, 2016
Great for single person or person with older children that are capapble of getting off to school safely.
Company does allow children to ride bus with parent to go to school
Family attitude company
Pros
Children are allowed to ride bus with parent
Cons
no benefits available
Bus
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Antioch, ILOctober 24, 2016
This is a pretty decent company to work for. Safety is a top priority and my boss is a great person to work for. The part I don't like, is in being so low in seniority, I can easily get outbid for things I want.
Pros
Flexible, good for stay at home parents, retired people
Cons
low hours, stuck with mediocre route
1990-1999 Was a great company to work for
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAFebruary 21, 2016
After company was sold to National Express, employees no longer had good benefits and pay increases were far and few between. National Express doesn't care about it's employees. Larry Durham did!
Durham gave me the flexibility to be a mom.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTAugust 9, 2016
I entered into the field because it was flexible and worked with my schedule being a single mother of 2. I was able to participate in school functions and maintain household duties while working. It was a very rewarding job.
Pros
I transported my children to and from school, I was able to arrange appointments without missing days from work, I had the same days off as my children so I never had to worry about child care, summers off, family environment
Cons
no work=no pay unless it was 4 or more consecutive days.
I enjoyed working there
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 2, 2016
there is no room for grow you will get great time off with out pay the children are ok you have a great benefit package you have a union that will help the people are nice we have fun there
Pros
the pay was good and you you worked days
Cons
you can not grow you will never be a supervisor
Getting students to school safely and on time.
Driver (Current Employee) –  San BernardinoJune 8, 2015
The reward of seeing a child smile, and hearing all the kids sing their favorite song at the moment, while picking them up from home and school. I learned you need to be very patient especially with special needs and how to manage a situation when the student is having a bad day. Always be positive, and have a smile on your face no matter what you are going through, don't want a child to see you unhappy it would throw off their happy vibe and you might make them feel worse if they are not having a good day. My co-workers are very down to earth, and I enjoy how professional my job is, and always trying to do fundraisers and help people that are in need.
Enjoy being around kids
Bus Driver/Dispatcher/ Trainer/ Payroll (Current Employee) –  1401 w. 4th aveNovember 17, 2016
I love waking up every day seeing the children smile when I go pick them up each morning for school. I'm very blessed to get to work with these wonderful kids.
Pros
Love the kids
Cons
bad additudes every day
Productive and fun work place.
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MONovember 18, 2016
Its a great opportunity fun environment well organized organization. The people are very friendly and well respected. Its a clean environment and works in a timely manner.
Pros
Environment
Cons
N/A
Fun environment, easy work hours
Driver (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 4, 2016
Driving a school bus with wonderful children. Short work days, no nights or weekends unless you want to work. Lots of opportunities to earn more hours.
Pros
Short work days, no nights or weekends, paid holidays, off work when kids are out.
Cons
Traffic, cold or hot days
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Savannah, MOSeptember 27, 2016
The training and fellow drivers are very professional and serious about transporting students to and from school as well as special events. There are multiple opportunities for additional driving duties.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Driving in hazardous weather
Productive working place
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 19, 2016
A typical day at work is us clocking in early in the morning and getting on the bus with our assigned driver picking up our students and carrying them safely to and from school. It's a fun and friendly working environment.
Pros
co-workers, lunch breaks
Cons
bad beahvior students
All in all a good company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 9, 2016
Good place to work routes are bid on according to seniority. Buses are kept in good shape by an on site garage. The other drivers are pleasant to be around. Management listens to my concerns when I don't understand something. I enjoy meeting students from all parts of the world.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Very monotonous
Nice place to work
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 23, 2016
I enjoyed working with the children. It was an good experience for me. I learned so much about the children and their disabilities.
i enjoy talking to my co-workers during break
Bus Aide (Current Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILJune 26, 2016
the hardest part of the job sometimes is when the kids are not having good day but if you talk to them they love to know that we are there for them at the end of the day they like that they are being understand by someone.
Pros
end of the year party
Cons
management sometimes dont care.
good employment for part-time work
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXAugust 9, 2016
Split shifts since I drove mornings to take students to school and then afternoons to take them home. My third year of driving was for Handicap students in (elementary and middle school).
Pros
Split shifts so I could take care of elderly parent.
Cons
No air conditioning in buses. This is Texas.
Not very happy with this job. I chose it because of my kids.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, SCJuly 10, 2016
They don't care about the individual, they don't back you, and dome of don't make enough to get by. The summers are unexceptable .
Pros
Im home with my kids when they are out of school.
Cons
I don't make enough money to provide or pay my bills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DURHAM SCHOOL. Our community is ready to answer.

82%