Dutch Wonderland Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 10, 2016
With this job , i had many different duties and we was never at the same place , i would cook the food and I would also cashier and clean up through out the day and work on the dinning walking around and talking to customers and cleaning and just interacting with everyone
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Expensive lunch
Great place to learn how to respond to the public
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 16, 2016
A typical day at work consists of answering any questions that guests may have in a helpful, friendly manner and effectively solving any conflicts that may arise.
Fun Work Environment
Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 3, 2016
A typical day at work for a supervisor consists of directing other employees where they are stationed at. Training employees that need to be trained, and helping guests. I have learned great customer service skills from this job. The management is very nice and sociable, and in some cases of being very short staffed, they will help run rides or food stands. Everyone I have worked with has been very pleasant, I have met some of my very close friends from this job. The hardest part of the job would be handling upset guests, and trying to find solutions to a problem that will satisfy both parties. I most enjoyable part of the job is seeing how happy the children are when they come to the park, especially if you go out of your way to make their day a little bit more special.
Pros
Employee Parties, Great People, Stable job, usually asked back if you are a good and hard worker
Cons
Long hours, low pay
work experience
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 2, 2016
Learned to work with people and independently
typical day would be working rides, dealing with customers, enforcing rules for customer safety
hardest part of the job: when customers would not listen and you have to yell at them or repeat yourself multiple times
enjoyable part: Was being able to learn new rides
Pros
N/a
Cons
short breaks
very productive and fun.
Food and Beverage (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJuly 11, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of me clocking in and collecting my till then going to wherever i was stationed for that day, set up my area, wipe down my working area and begin prepping the food or just staying positioned at my cashier attending to any customers.
Pros
discounted lunches, and rewards.
fun and entertain
Food and Beverage Representative (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJuly 5, 2016
i didnt really learn anything from here but i remember it being fun
there was never a dull moment they maintained order and made sure their workers were happy i always had a morning shift and it was always fun honestly manager and everyone was great
Pros
everything
Cons
A kids theme park ran by kids
Retail & Games (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 30, 2016
A typical work day consisted of you being thrown wherever they feel like throwing you. The training consisted of a 15-30 min introduction of what you were to do and then being by yourself for the remainder of your shift. The management is literally a bunch of 18-22 year olds running the park. The co-workers were primarily first time workers that this has been their only job. The hardest part of the job was being expected to know EVERYTHING the very first time. The most enjoyable was absolutely nothing for me.

I was having issues from the very start. When I interviewed they had me under the wrong last name and never adjusted it because they kept trying to put me as someone else who had previously worked there. HR gave me issues about my last name and gave me attitude when I wanted reassurance. They also NEVER contacted me back. I cannot even retrieve my pay-stubs because they never reset my password for the program they used like I asked them to.

I worked 3 shifts in retail & games and that was enough to make me quit with no 2 weeks notice. I have had supervisors or leaders who were about my age before, but never have I dealt with such poor training. The gift shop I did for 2 days and it wasn't awful because I had other people there and supervisors constantly walking around or restocking. However, my 2nd day I asked if someone could just walk me through it so I don't mess up. After my supervisor walked me through step-by-step what to do he then proceeded to give me attitude because I didn't need extra training. My first day at a game (my 3rd shift) I was at a game that
  more... kept malfunctioning. Again this is the first time at a game in general, so the supervisor who trained me went through a lot of information very little time. It was a little difficult to remember every detail of everything she said. I didn't notice when the game malfunctioned and the customer didn't say anything until someone had won a prize. I had to call a supervisor down and she gave them a free game (someone always wins so a free prize went with it). When I called her back to my stand because I was running out of $1 bills, she then proceeded to scold me because "my supervisor trainer told me what to do when that happens and I wasted the company $8 and a toy". I literally felt under attack because I didn't realize such a simple mistake on my first day in this spot would have gotten me into trouble. However it put me into a panic mode for the rest of the day and I couldn't think clearly. --for the games they have a weird system for money. Your apron in which you carry money is basically a change machine. You start the day with $200 and you end the day with $200. The game I ran was $2/person but at least 2 people had to play. So if 2 people played that's $4. If someone hands you a $5 bill you pull out 5 $1 bills and hand them one, and you drop the other $4 into the drop box, while the $5 bill goes into your apron-- Well I had 4 people playing and the mother handed me 2 $5 bills, so $10 and I couldn't think so I dropped them both in my drop box and handed her $2 out of my apron. I explained it to my supervisor and she said that my apron will be short and if I pass that 1% then I will get an informational write up. I explained that the money wasn't missing, it was just placed in the drop box. She told me it doesn't matter. To me that makes absolutely no sense.

By the end of the day I somehow managed to be over in my apron and a supervisor had to sign off of it. I don't remember but I am pretty sure you get an informational for being over as well. However my supervisor didn't even say anything to me when she asked me why it was over and I told her I didn't know.

For minimum wage (which is what they pay you to start with no matter your age or experience), this was just so not worth it. Never in the 4 years and various jobs I have had working was that much expected of me on the first day at a new position. Never in the 22+ years my mom worked was that ever expected of her in a new position. It's honestly ridiculous.

The only nice perk about working for this company was free access to the surrounding theme parks, but I didn't even get to use that because I quit after about a month of being there and I worked 2 jobs so I never had the time.
Pros
Free access to other theme parks including DW, employee parties
Cons
One break, VERY limited training, park is ran by children.
Not too bad
Food and beverage (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 19, 2016
I worked in food and beverage for the 2015 season and I really did enjoy it. I usually closed almost everyday in the summer and was on register which I didn't like but it's whatever. management was treating me so unfairly I finally quit in December. advice to anyone who works here: quit after Labor Day because it's awful after that. short staffed, cold weather and horrible hours!! oh and let's not forget the good old sea world protesters
Pros
free hersheypark tickets
Cons
minimum wage, bad supervisors, rude guests
Awesome work place
Water Park Rides Operator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 18, 2016
Watched kids play and made sure they were safe in the water park. The management was great they worked with your life and made sure the times you worked were good times for you. It is a great first job for high school kids since it is summer work while they are not in school.
Pros
awesome perks like free amusment park tickets
Cons
it is only summer work and some days get really hot
Great for summer employment
Safety and Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 27, 2015
Work to keep the guests and the employees safe. A great environment for students on summer break. Friendly co-workers, supervisors, and management team.
Fun place to work
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  LancasterAugust 30, 2015
I liked the interaction with the kids. I learned to operate some rides. Management were very nice to work with. Pulling some of the rides in before letting people off. Being in the hot humid sun, but overall it was nice having a job outside. Learning new rides and knowing I could do the job.
Amazing first time job
Water Park Rides Operator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 25, 2015
I had this as my first job while in high school. It was amazing because I had the whole school year off and then summer I got to work. I met some life long friends there. Management was amazing always tried to keep the employees in mind.
Fun workplace
Ride Operator (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 25, 2014
Great for seasonal jobs for students and teachers. Also great for those not quite ready to retire.
Fun fast pace job. you get to work with a lot off different people from children to grandparents.
You get to meet families from all over PA, and the US.
Lots of different areas to work in (ex. rides, retail, guest services, environmental)
Worse part is the summer heat; mostly in the sun all day.
Fun work place
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 27, 2014
I enjoyed work with the staff. It was fun meeting new kids and see them having a good time.
Working at an amusment park is so much fun
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 17, 2013
This company is very rewarding to work for. You can feel the fun any where you go at the park. All of the employees look and act like they themselves are the ones coming to play at dutch wonderland.
Dutch Wonderland
Entertainer (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CADecember 13, 2012
A Typical day at dutch wonderland was to come to work dress up in my costume and be a character putting smile on childrens faces. What i learned from working there was how to be energetic and personable. I loved all of my co workers were and are still like family we became extremely close. The hardest thing about the job was being out in the heat for long periods of time. The enjoyable thing about the job was working for the company and being friends with all of the employees and managers
Pros
everything
Cons
the heat
fun place
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 5, 2012
i liked dutch wonderland because its something new everyday and the managers were nice
Pros
great managment
Cons
minimum wage, cold weather
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 27, 2012
A typical day at Dutch Wonderland is really busy. Everyone works together on helping each other out. The hardest part of my job was keeping items where they belong. The part I enjoyed the most was seeing all the kids be happy.
Has good days and bad days
Warehouse Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 24, 2012
It was a typical summer job for young people.
Co-worker's were mostly young, but varied to some degree in age.
Management seemed well organized and had a lot of rules you had to follow
Pros
good people
Cons
boring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dutch Wonderland. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2