Duval County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Productive and fun!
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 15, 2017
Dcps/ bridge to success is the absolute best place to work for and with! The staff are amazing; willing andable to teach, accommodate, and assist the children in the learning experience. Positive and ready to learn school atmosphere and run by an awesome woman; aleya prier, who loves giving back to the children of the community and providing a safe learning environment that promotes high school graduation and college enrollment.
Pros
POSITIVE ATTITUDES
Cons
NONE
Being a Paraprofessional is more of a feel good job
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 11, 2017
A typical day at work, nonstop helping everyone from parent, administrations, teachers and most importantly the students in anything they need. You can go from dealin with the distrobution of mail, to watching over a class while the teach steps out for a emergency, helping a student figure out a problem that no one else was able to.
Pros
Good for the heart if done correctly
Cons
not enough pay to sustain a normal life
Love working with kids
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 31, 2017
My job was to assist 6 grade teachers English,Math,Science in helping them educate the youth on work assignments and assist them learning new ideas in problem solving. I also helped when taking FCAT testing.
Pros
Recess with the kids
Cons
Youth
Great foot in the door
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 9, 2017
DCPS helped me get started in my career and served me very well during my time in the public school sector. I did not feel the ability to move up within the district was presented.
Extended Day Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 6, 2017
At work I am with kids and I watch them interact with one another showing how they help one another and being good friends. I also interact with the kids to make sure they are treating one another with respect. What I learned is that kids will be kids at the end of the day and they will learn right from wrong and it will make them better one day. I get along with all of my fellow co-workers we all enjoy each other everyday. The hardest part of the job I wouldn't say there's an hard part but keeping them out of trouble I would say can be a hard sometimes. The most enjoyable part of the day is making sure the kids have fun and also learning something to take home to their parents at the end of the day.
Pros
snacks and computer time
Productive and fun with very little free time
Community Education Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 5, 2017
I come in and start off by checking my emails, open classes an hour before they start, answer the phone and, ask the coordinator of any task she needs me to do. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new students the decide to take classes and explaining to them what the class in tells and how interesting it would be to them.
Positive work environment
District Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 1, 2017
Positive and productive work environment. The district values the opinion of all stakeholders and are working towards closing the achievement gap.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Cons
The salary
nice
Paraprofessional/Monitor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 6, 2016
It was nice working for the school board. I liked working with the kids and I enjoyed the learning, professional environment. I will recommend it to anyone.
Upbeat Environment around students
Principal secretary/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 1, 2016
This is a great place to work because the emphasis on family and education is top priority. Because of the ever-changing nature of the school district, there are always challenges to to overcome which keeps my mind busy and astute.
Pros
Great work schedule
Cons
Sometimes it's hard to find the right person to help answer time sensitive questions
Chainging lives one student at a time
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 28, 2016
Answering/making calls to parents. Transiting class from class to class. Looking you schedules make ID cards enroll put parents and students back for orientation. Call hearing offices if the information was not received. Records.
Pros
love working with kids
Cons
Not begin able to help them al in different ways

Want to know more about Duval County Public Schools?

Ask a question
Loved the concept and dream of the program. Excelerated education, to move up into the students correct grade level
Bookkeeper/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Bridge to success academyNovember 17, 2016
Recently relocated from Jacksonville, florida, to Palm Coast, Florida.Energetic, extensive customer service background. Acting nurse at our school, with training by our district nurse department. Medical coding and billing training. Willing, ready and able to work and learn. With given the opportunity to. I am ready to start immediately.
Pros
Finances
Cons
students are reaching their goal of moving up to their correct grades.
Great Job
Exceptional Student Education Liaison (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 23, 2016
This is a good company overall to work for if you love children. They offer benefits for the employee and family that will remain after the employment term into retirement. If you are up for a challenge, this is a great opportunity to expand on your skills.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
hours
It's not what you know it's who you know
Social Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 19, 2016
Does not value staff, is about who you know, not what you know. Hires young principals that have only 3 years of teaching. Treat staff unfairly if they don't like you for any reason at all. You can be laid off if their friends need a job.
Pros
Summer off
Cons
lose your job at anytime, SAE tests are $200.00 per exam
Self motivated environment
Senior Computer Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 26, 2016
Very large environment:
75,000+ computers
1000+ servers
2000+ networking switches and routers
120,000+ user accounts

Priorities are set and quickly change based on level of the affected person.
Resources and time are available for self learning.
Pros
Stable Employment
Cons
Technology division has very poor focus, direction and communication
Paraprofessional Aide (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 11, 2016
Days are hectic constantly working all day, but its much worth it being that your doing for the kids no matter what school you may work at the students will be the best part of the job. I personally love working for dcps but the pay needs to be better for the amount of work and time all educator put in.
Pros
the students
Cons
low paying salaries
35 years working with the DCPS
Guidance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 7, 2016
Excellent place to work. Making a career was a great choice. Benefits were the best. People I worked with will be life long friends.
Pros
Working with high school students.
Cons
Working with administration.
Education
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 3, 2016
Teaching the youth of today. Educating young minds and bringing them up to speed on everyday life and current events of the world that we are living in.
A Vary Good Place TO Work
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 31, 2016
Fun Place To Work For Learn People Skills 'How TO Get Along With Others I AM Also A Hard worker.Also work in the Maintence Department as a Carpenter who job was to install Cabnets/ windos/ Steps/Doors Clean Floors /Custodian Ect.
Pros
Wonderful Expirence
Cons
Good Benefits And Health Care
ELA Teacher at Lake Shore Middle
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 30, 2016
A typical day of rotating classes for ELA and Reading with teacher and student interactions. I learned how to be an effective teacher at DCPS with excellent classroom management skills. My school had quality administrators who cared about the staff and students. My team of co-workers were the best at the school. The hardest part of the job was balancing administrative and academic responsibilities at the school. The most enjoyable part was of course teaching.
Pros
Teacher appreciation incentives and gifts
Cons
Administrative activities that disrupt teaching (i.e. candy sales)
What an opportunity to teach the future leaders of tomorrow
Data Systems Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 24, 2016
Never a dull moment within DCPS and even more teaching high school students in obtaining their industry certification.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Duval County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Duval County Public Schools Reviews by Location