Duval County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Not enough Money
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 20, 2018
The pay for a paraprofessional is not good at all. You can barely pay any of your bills with one check and they also take out equalization out your check every two weeks. Most people think you are making good money because you work with the county, but it is not true. We are the lowest paid through all the districts schools.
Pros
n/a
Cons
not enough money
Parapro
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 15, 2018
Helped Teacher and therapist with students with special need reach their educational and personal goals. The hardest part of the job was mending ideas with other adults.
Best Job I've Ever Had
Community Education Director (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville Beach, FLJanuary 9, 2018
Not good compensation...needed a second job to make ends meet but I loved it. You have great benefits, which helps compensate for the low pay and set hours everyday (for clerical staff).
Unbiased truth
Secretary Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 6, 2018
The training for secretary bookkeeper position aren't Enough, the amount of work that you will take on does not equal the payload at all. District is constantly telling us we are in need of a raise, but they give us all the reasons why they can't give us a raise. The salary is not enough to sustain, as a secretary bookkeeper you do way more than what you are trained for.
Pros
Paid leave
Cons
Not enough pay
Staff were no longer acknowledged by management which brought employee moral DOWN BADLY!!!!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 1, 2018
Staff and students don't matter! It all comes down to the money. The children should always be our FIRST PRIORITY but to upper management, it's all about the paperwork and logging everything into the computer, not the actual card for the children!!
great school system
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 29, 2017
Duval County is a great place to employed. there are many oppportunities for advancement, professional development, and collaboration among peers. I would highly recommend this district ot anyone seeking employment.
Pros
great place to live
Cons
too much traffic
Stereotypical Public School Setting
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 27, 2017
The same as other public school disctricts...
The area in which the school is located determines the quality of the school.
Schools located in impoverished areas get less attention, and resources and are overcrowded. Literally taught in classrooms where there were not enough desks, and books to each child to have their own.
Schools in more affluent areas had more resources and fewer students, with few to no resource or space shortages.
Teachers seem to care no matter where I went.
Pros
Caring Teachers
Cons
Standard complaints
A terrible place to work
Supervisor of external communications (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 26, 2017
This place was horrible... From the manager of the department to the organization as a whole not upholding their own policies. I was bullied and disrespected by my boss who was petty and jealous. She was unprofessional and lazy. I was there to do my job and telling my personal business/gossiping was not in the job description; therefore, I became an outcast. The organization needs an overhaul.
Pros
Christams break and spring break the offices were closed.
Cons
Poor leadership
Good Place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 22, 2017
Good leadership, great work life balance and benefits are great. Duval County Public Schools never forgets that they are there for the kids and it is their number one priority.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
salaries
Somewhat interesting
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 18, 2017
I enjoyed working with the elementary and middle school students. However, there were challenges at times with behavior of the students. The staff was pretty helpful.
Pros
scheduling work time
Cons
Low pay

Want to know more about Duval County Public Schools?

Ask a question
It was a job that I once enjoyed.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 13, 2017
A typical day began for me at 6:30 am with extended day. I taught from 8:00am to 2:45pm. Then I continued with extended day.The stress of performance was difficult. The best part was the bond with the other teachers.
Pros
Holidays and weekends...summers off.
Cons
Very stressful.
Great county
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 12, 2017
Duval County is a very large county and I have worked in a charter and title one school here and have loved learning from this group of special needs students.
Too much work and low wages
BIOLOGY TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 6, 2017
Teachers are expected to stay late and create lessons that should be planned during planning time, but there is no time because we are in meetings to receive a hours towards a professional certificate. To receive a professional certificate you are forced to pay close to $1000 for exams and almost $3000 for classes that say you are not certified to teach in this area.
Student discipline plan is not a good one.
Art Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 5, 2017
The rights of the students trump educator's rights. The school district would rather keep a troubled and improper behaved child in a school before they keep a great teacher.But it is because the schools don't receive money for teachers they do for students.
Pros
pay check every 2 weeks
Cons
Have to take the students speaking, acting and being disrespectful.
Loved the benefits
Custodial supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 11, 2017
Very productive.
Great place to work while raising children.
Awsome benefits.
Challenging position.
Had a lot of custodial training.Had a very good safety program.The hardest part of the job was making sure that their was not a lot of absenteeism.
Cultural
Pros
Free medical
Cons
Worked on some holidays even when schools closed for teachers, Students and most administrative personel
Student focused work environment
Teacher Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 9, 2017
Student focused work environment with long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the excitement on a student's faced when they "got it".... learned from your teaching.
Elementary School
Para-Professional (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 7, 2017
Responsible for assisting with classroom instruction and maintaining discipline in general education for general education Kindergarten classrooms and high incidence ESE students in non-self-contained settings.
It’s a very relaxed and caring environment.
Extended Day Instructor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 1, 2017
I really enjoy working with the children and my coworkers. I also really like my bossses and they really do care about their employees. They work with you to make sure you’re happy and in turn that the children are happy.
It's been a while
Middle & High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 31, 2017
I haven't worked for DCPS for a while, so I can't accurately assess the working environment there. DCPS is in transition, so it might be accommodating
Horrible
Administrative Assistant Office (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 23, 2017
Totally Horrible. The work environment was horrible. I was so stressed everyday until my Doctor put me on medication to deal with the stress as well as put me on leave. I will never put myself through such torment ever again in my life!