Duval County Public Schools

Duval County Public Schools Employer Reviews

Education is a rewarding and demanding career
Business Education Teacher (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLDecember 18, 2014
The most rewarding part of teaching is when a student comes back to you and let's you know that the information you taught was valued, accepted, and applied.
Committed to Success
Health/Life Management Teacher (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLDecember 18, 2014
The Duval County School Board is committed to producing successful schools because doing so produces successful students.
Lack of support within the district
Teacher (Current Employee), High SchoolDecember 3, 2014
Duval County School teachers rely on a personal network they create in order to succeed. Support from the district level is almost non-existent. The most enjoyable part of the job is the students. The most difficult part includes unprofessional administration and handling of student behavior/consequences.
A good career turned into a bad job
Teacher (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 28, 2014
I used to love teaching, and I suppose I still do, really. The kids I work with are quite good, but the teaching profession in Florida has turned into something very unlike what it was. I hate seeing the mass exodus of teachers with fantastic skills and passion leaving due to horrible treatment. I have many good years left in me, but I am not willing to do so in Florida. I am open to anything and would love to bring my skills to another field. I want to work, to be treated fairly, and be given the opportunity to do my job as best I can. I am honest, I work hard, I show up on time, miss work rarely, and I can do many things at once. As a teacher I have had to write letters of recommendation for college, be a teacher, a confidant, a therapist, a referee, a leader, a follower, a diplomat, a judge, a jury, a writer, a creator, an editor, a director, a film maker, a friend…and that’s just what comes to mind right now. I am a utility player, a team player, and one who does not let my ego get in the way. If something impossible needs to be done, I’m the person for you.
Fast paced.
Art Teacher (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 26, 2014
Pros: good group of teachers. excellent superintendent of art.
Cons: very hectic schedules, not ideal conditions for visual art, county & principals not giving time for visual arts to improve student learning.
*I learned time management.
*I was itinerant at 2 schools:
Mon.-Wed.: Private classroom. 11 - 1/2 hour classes, prep time from 8am-8:30am unless on monthly hall duty, classes started at 8:30 am with 1/2 hour for lunch, school ended at 3 pm with bus duties, sometime I taught double classes.
Thur.-Fri.: On a cart, 45 min. classes with 10 minutes between classes, am and pm hall monitor. 1/2 hour lunch.
*Co-workers were helpful, enjoyable, fun to be with while integrating subjects, committees.
*The most enjoyable part of the day was seeing the student's faces light up when they learned something new (ie: color mixing in kindergarten) or finished a beautiful project or seeing their art on display.
Overall enjoyable experience with the students
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 11, 2014
Pros: children interaction
Cons: low pay
A typical work day involves small group instructions for children will learning difficulties. Assisting the lead teacher with daily activities and developing creative teaching tools to aid in the students learning.
Stressful School District
Teacher (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 11, 2014
Pros: the other teachers with whom you could possibly work
Cons: lack of administrative support and needed material, amount of outside work, low pay
DCPS is not a good district for which for which to work. There is a lack of positive support for teachers, particularly in low income schools; teachers are asked to teach to the test, whether that test be a curriculum guide assessment or a state standardized test; security issues and bullying are rampant, there is a lack of basic necessary supplies (textbooks, working copy machines) for schools, particularly in low-income schools), and the amount of work that must be done outside of the paid school day is overwhelming, which creates for a terrible work/life balance.
Productive work place
Paraprofessional (Current Employee), Waterleaf ElementarySeptember 17, 2014
Pros: benfits, work schedules
Cons: pay rate
A typical day work consists of keeping students off the tables, teaching them how to sit, and transition from centers, potty training as well. This is a typical day in the CSS department of the school working with special needs students.
Thankful for the wonderful opportunity!
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: great team and good benefits!
Prepared lesson plans. Prepared interactive classes. Taught and evaluated about 100 high-school students in all. Performed data analysis to improve teaching. The team at Mandarin High school was wonderful and very helpful since I was a new teacher. There is plenty of support for new teachers.
Coach Only
COACH (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 19, 2014
Pros: assisting kids
Cons: pay
Great opportunity to help kids develop responsibility and and advance into adulthood
flexible time schedule
Teacher - Business Education (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 9, 2014
Plan and instruct each subject by using a wide variety of teaching aids, motivational, and implementation strategies to engage students in active learning.
Incorporate learning modality principles into classroom and individual instruction. Develop and conduct inter-related grade activities. Utilize current counseling theories, techniques, strategies and resources
Implement technological approaches to subject material. Research educational resources on the Internet. Assist with information retrieval.
Troubleshoot desktop support issues in computer lab/classroom
Educated middle school students on: Microsoft applications and business fundamentals, foundations of the writing process, genre studies and critical thinking skills
Noble position with many rewards.
Media Specialist (Current Employee), 5443 Moncrief Road, Jacksonville, Florida 32208June 18, 2014
Pros: best of both worlds: education and entertainment
Cons: not enough resources to properly service the reoccurring problems
On a typical day at work, I'd begin by supervising the members of the student news crew, in a live broadcast of The Morning Announcements. Next, I would be visited in the library by one class from each grade level for 50 minutes. During that time, I'll teach a lesson on a particular reading skill, students will then check out books, silent read or access a computer. My breaks are spent running the circulation desk in the Media Center and creating/managing digital content for our two productions. This includes shooting and editing video, compiling and archiving information and the ongoing training and instruction of best practices in TV Production.
Challenging Environment that has the overall satisfaction of changing lives
Teacher (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 15, 2014
Pros: vacation time, getting the chance to motivate a child, changes lives
Cons: lack of respect given from the students. you have to earn it.
A work day consist of getting to school before the students arrive. You are required to meet the students at the classroom door. Students may or may not have attitudes. Depending on what school you are at you may have the challenge of addressing dress code with male and female students. EX Sagging pants, short skirts, tank tops, etc. The students respect a stern teacher that has given them structure. Mangetout may have a lot of turn over. Co workers are very helpful in most areas of the job. if they can not provide the answer for you they are more than willing to provide you with someone who may know the answer. The hardest part of the job is accepting that fact that you may not be able to reach every child in time to mold, challenge and to motivate them. What brings joy to the job are the success stories and testimonies that teacher and students share. Seeing students grow as teenagers personally and statistically as it relates to their test scores.Co workers and students make the Job fun. Trying to isolate yourself and doing everything on your own will result in overwhelming yourself.
excellent, challenging teaching atmosphere
Reading and Health Coach (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 27, 2014
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: fcat
the most enjoyable part of my job was working with the kids and my coworkers. Teaching was a very enjoyable experience for me and my students made excellent gains.
Not a healthy enviornment
Information Technology Manager (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 25, 2014
Pros: employee benefits
Cons: constant cut in staff and department funding.
I enjoy my staff. There are a total of 11 individuals all from various cultures. We work well as a Team. Every day brings a new challenge which we embrace. The Team works hard to provide pro-active quality service and high customer service satisfaction to DCPS. However, upper management and constant budget deficits makes it difficult to meet all the technical goals assigned to my department. Though my staff and funding has been cut to the bare bone; there is a high expectation from upper management that my department continues to provide leading edge technology.
Varies from school to school
Teacher (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 17, 2014
Varies from school to school, Some schools are better than others
Nice place to work
Library Asst. / Guidance Asst. / & Office Asst (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 14, 2014
Pros: good co works
Cons: little pay for lots of work
I would start my day off by answering phone and helping parents enroll. Filing things in student folder and doing IDs. I make homework request, I enroll students, change addresses, get records
Very healthy environment with positive attitudes
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 9, 2014
I absolutely love working here. Eveyone have a positive attitude towards each other. My days here goes by smoothly
A great work environment and some awesome children
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 1, 2014
Pros: more experience working with children in a different setting
Cons: it's only part-time, and no health insurance
I arrive at work and do breakfast. Then do light cleaning from breakfast.Then I get the kids ready for our morning meeting.After that I lay down the rugs for our work cycle so the children can being working on their work plan.Next it's lunch time i take them to lunch and clean the tables behind them. We return back to class and I log the kids on to I-ready computer program 6 at a time with 20 min. work sessions. I do this up until it's time for me to get off I'm part-time 8:30-1:30pm
Team work is the integral part of teacher success.
Professional Mathematics Teacher (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 10, 2014
Pros: breaks (time off with family)
Cons: healthcare, teacher vs student accountability
The most enjoyable part of this job is the satisfaction of reaching the students that most have given up on. Also, seeing the light turn on in their eyes when they learn new concepts and make connections to the real world. It's absolutely irreplaceable.

1 2 3