Duval County Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Difficult but enjoyable.
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 8, 2016
Working for the Duval County School Board was a bit difficult in that you do not have an opportunity to move forward without Management permission.
Great Job
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 31, 2016
I love my job! Everyday, I am learning more about children with special needs and learning more about myself. The children really look to connect with you and if your all in they will be to. I worked with the best staff. Everyone always works as a team, and because of our communication between one another, we are able to have full control over all situations. If this job paid more to secure a living, I would make it my career.
Pros
Staff and Students
Cons
Pay
Work with public
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 23, 2016
A typical day at work you never know what to expect. Patient is very important. Classroom and time management is very important. It's important to work as a team. Paperwork is the hardest part of the job. To see students learn is enjoyable part of the job.
Italian Restaraunt
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 25, 2016
Working at Maggianos Little Italy was exciting and eventful. With a little initiative and work ethic, the tips are sure to flow in.
Fun and enjoyable place with great coworkers
Chets Creek Elementary Extended Day Program Worker (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 15, 2016
I only work the hours of 7am-9am and 3pm-6pm for the extended day program. I oversee a class of about 20 students in the afternoon. I have them eat a snack as soon as they are released from school and then we sit quietly in a classroom for thirty minutes of homework and/or reading. Afterwards I take them outside, play games, and have fun until all of them have been picked up by their family. I have learned patience and been challenged to create new and fun activities for the kids because they become bored incredibly quickly. I love all of my coworkers and I feel like I arrive to a family every single day. My managers are the kindest and most helpful people for all of us and I feel completely safe at my job. The hardest and the easiest part of the job are the same for me. I love my kids more than anything, but there are days where disciplining them is extremely taxing. Some days are harder than others, but every day is different, and that is what makes this job enjoyable and fun for me. I do not like mundane work environments, and this place is anything but that.
ok
Educator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 11, 2016
education doesn't pay, people in general do not have respect for education, education will not get better until investment an value goes up
Fast Paced
Testing SQL Dev./Admin (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Good learning environment for entry level positions. Very little room for advancement. Reactive mind state no raises
Pros
holidays
Cons
bad promotion
Paraprofessional
Paraprofessional- Assists teacher (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 12, 2016
Very productive job, nice environment, room for growth and development. Co workers are friendly and pleasant, just an overall great place to work.
managed eight employees, production records, ordered food for breakfast,lunch and after school program for 600 kids
Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 7, 2015
I worked as a cafe manager for nine years. Enjoyed working for the children and staff. Like all jobs it had its pros and cons. But overall it was fun and a fast pace job. I loved the hours due to having children myself.
Loved loved this job
JOB COACH (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 2, 2015
My day started out with preparing my students for the day by gathering them out of their homerooms to bus loading area. The students and I have on the job training off campus where we are transported by community first transportation. We spend 4 hours out in the community at our desinated worksite. I the job coach assess and place the students in various positions that they like and desire to learn how to do. While onsite I the coach oversee and monitor students as well as grade them for the day.
Pros
GETTING TO TRAIN AND BOOST THE SELF ESTEEM OF INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILTIY
Cons
NONE
Working with early elementary children
Front Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 16, 2015
You are always learning something from children. They are uninhibited in their thoughts and are totally open to learning. My job is to understand that each child learns at a different rate and to be gentle and encouraging in my lesson. That is the most enjoyable part of my day. The administration at my school is incredibly supportive of all their teachers and staff. They encourage continuing education as well as personal growth. The hardest part of the day is making sure that each child is taught to the best of my ability. Classroom sizes these days make it hard to sometimes provide effective and efficient time to each and every student. My fellow teachers are more than teachers, they are family. We know each others families and are part of a greater team for the best education children can have.
Pros
I personally like being able to be out of school the same time as my own children
Cons
The state mandates unfair testing
Many changes to improve productivity
ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL/STUDENT SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 25, 2015
An organization to learn and grow and a joy to observe students' academic achievements.

Professional development provides teachers and administrators tools to become great at their craft.
Benefits
Cons
Pressure to be "A" schools, harsh accountability
Teaching is a rewarding career.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 12, 2015
As a teacher, a typical day is planned with structure, fidelity, and a learning goal with room to be flexible for the unexpected event. I teach three classes per day. As I review my lesson plans for each class, I document how each student did the previous lesson and build on that knowledge. While teaching my objective, I observe how well the students are understanding the material and adjust my teaching style to their learning style as needed. For example, if a student is struggling with fluency phrasing, I would stop and model appropriate phrasing. If the student continues to struggle with this skill, I would then place a visual aid such as an arc over the phrase. This visual prompt would remind the student of the phrase length. My co-workers are dedicated teachers. As a team, we remind each other of the students' needs and how to place their goals above everything. The moment when one of my students understands a concept is the best part of my job. The feeling of knowing I assisted a person in learning something they did not know before is one of the greatest feelings in the world.
Teaching Highlights
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 10, 2015
Teaching is a noble profession preparing tomorrows leaders with the skills necessary to impact their community, state and nation. Teaching is one of the fields that is a selfless, giving career with many accolades coming not in the thank you for a great job, but in the beam of light that shines in the eyes of those that have been impacted by the wisdom imparted.
Pros
Time off for the holidays and summer.
Cons
The ending of a year.
Productive workplace with exceptional students and staff
Floor Tech/Asst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 2, 2015
Came in around lunch time everyday, cleaned cafe in it's entirety.
Cleaned assigned classrooms daily, maintaining a clean and comfortable environment for both students and staff.
Often acted as assistant manger when manager was not present. Lead my team members successfully with little to no supervision.
Being around warm spirited people and seeing the smiles on all the kids faces throughout the year.
Pros
Teamwork, Luncheon's, Field Trips
Cons
Medical Ins.
One thing constant is change
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 15, 2015
Educating the youth of our future. Assess, plan, implement and evaluate lesson plans. Communicate with students, parents, colleagues and administrators on a daily basis.
I was a 7th grade math teacher
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 13, 2015
I had students that were very low level and had major behavior issues. We would start the day doing a warm-up problem that would take us in to the days lesson. I would deliever my lesson while trying to brake up conflicts between students. We would then work on the days homework lesson.
I learned a lot from the students. I learned how to have more paients and understatnding for their situations.
I got along with most of my co-workers however I did not socialize with them outside of work.
Management was an issue. There was no support from administration and one adminstrator did not care for me for some reason which made it more difficult.
The district was not the issue with my last job it was the tension and lack of support from the school.
I enjoyed working with the students, even the challenging ones, and learning new things. I learned something new everyday.
Students are amazing.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaJuly 29, 2015
I enjoy working with the students and many of the staff members. I have learned a lot about my teaching style and my personality.
loved my job
Secretary III, (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 22, 2015
Great place to work. The room for advancement in company is great. At the end of each day you feel as if you have you have helped the family's with children in Jacksonville.
Working with various people to achieve common goals
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 14, 2015
A typical day involves research, pre-planning, collaborating, data review, creation of data focused lessons, lesson delivery, interactions with parents, students, office/district personnel, along with management, schedules, meetings, incorporating classroom and time management. I have learned how to work in a time frame/time line, collaborate more with various stakeholders, analyze data, incorporate engaging technology, build teams, train/mentor, present and facilitate information in front of various sized audiences.

These skills, as well as others, have helped me work with colleagues in many different settings, beneficial to all involved. The most difficult portion of the job is working with uncooperative parents, colleagues, and management. Despite this, I thoroughly enjoy working with people, being creative, in order to achieve set common goals. I will continue to use my skill-sets to make a difference and to impact lives of many I have the pleasure of meeting or working with, because at the end of the day there is still a goal which needs to be reached or attained.
Pros
Working with colleagues to achieve goals
Cons
Short or no breaks, constant misdirection