Dynegy Employee Reviews

Great energy company!
Plant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2017
When I worked at Dynegy they had just acquired the company from the Dow Chemical Company and it had been called Destec. Destec focused on cogeneration and had built and operated power plants in several states in the U.S.
Shift technician Hennepin power station
Shift technician (Former Employee) –  Hennepin, ILJanuary 12, 2017
After 13 years of swing shift working as a jack of all trades decided to test the waters and find a better job working day shift monday-friday. I would not recommend this job to anyone that has a skilled trade or technical school back ground. They make you a operator like it or not. Alot of finger pointing by management. Upper management noses up in the air. These old coal plants are on there last years.
Pros
Good pay, union position
Cons
Swing shift, dirty, hot, 70 year old coal plant on its last leg.
Fair place to work
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 22, 2016
1. Typical day: Busy
2. What I've learned: how to be creative
3. Management: ok
4. Coworkers: good
5. Hardest part of the job: I was the sole expert in my field.
6. Most enjoyable part of the job: additional help
Technical Support
Service Desk Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 20, 2016
Technical support analyst with nearly 10 years of varied IT Support experience working in a fast paced environment while maintaining excellent customer service and support. Possess the ability to adjust and adapt to new changes and environments as needed.
Excellent
Senior Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2016
● Involved in full cycle Design and implementation of the project and post implementation support.
● Developed triggers to sync data between two systems, audit triggers.
Business closing
Utility Coal Yard Attendant (Current Employee) –  Wood River, ILMay 5, 2016
Dynegy is a great organization; however and unfortunately, the business is closing this summer and the Dynegy employees will be displaced.
Great company to work for.
Power plant operator (Current Employee) –  IllinoisApril 17, 2016
Great company to work for. Operations department in a power plant. Great coworkers to work with, who take the time to teach new employees about electricity generation.
Pros
Excellent pay and retirement plan
Cons
Very good company to work for. Sometimes it's the people who misreperesent themselves
Sr. Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2016
I enjoyed the years I spent working for this company. Co-workers were easy to work with and we all worked for a common cause. The best part are the flexible hours. I learned a lot while working with the different departments and becoming familiar with the different documents.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Worked with extremely professional people
Sr. Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 23, 2015
I enjoyed the 9 years that I worked at Dynegy. I learned and loved having the challenge to work with new software systems that they company provided.
Pros
Group Events, Free lunches
Cons
Healthcare benefits
Salary is not worth the stress
Settlement Specialist (Former Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 15, 2015
Working for Dynegy was stressful and demanding. Supervisors/Managers held little regard for their employees and how hard they worked. They pride themselves on integrity but bottom line is if you speak up or disagree with their ethics/integrity - out the door you go! Since the employees are salary you work major OT which the salary base does not compensate for! Everyday was stressful!
Pros
Top pay with excellent bonuses, flexibility was great!
Cons
The salary was not worth the stress and pressures supervisors put on its employees
I worked in the accounting department during the Enron era and when we were under consideration of buying Enron there was a lot of pressure
Admin II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2015
Worked for the accounting department and enjoyed working for the company. I worked there during a tense period but still they tried to maintain a professional atmosphere for the employees there. Sorry I ever left this company
Pros
Room for advancement, concern about employees, education and other benefits
Dynegy is a growing company which was turned around by present management from the brink of bankruptcy
Power Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYSeptember 1, 2015
Dynegy is a growing company which was taken from the brink of bankruptcy to a viable force in the Power industry by current management. The CEO was recognized as one of the top ten most influential people in the Power industry.
Maintained Power Plant
Power Plant Technician Journeyman Mechanic-Welder (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 4, 2015
Jog assignment & safety meeting. Worked with experience group keeping the power plant available & running. Hazardous waste inspecting's and daily reports. Mechanical-Welding repairs. The hardest part of job was working around the clock to complete critical repairs. I rally enjoyed the people, work environment and the various types of work.
Company closed due to new environmental laws.
Instrumentation and Controls Technician (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYFebruary 23, 2014
I worked with a great group of people. It was sad to see everyone move on. I wish them all the best.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Many lost their jobs!
Highly progressive and growing company with Enron's ethics
PACE Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2013
Great company except cost everyone their jobs and savings from doing illegal wash trades like enron.
Great big company to work for
VP Marketing and Business Dev. - SBU (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2013
The acquisition of our small company was smooth and very well planned. My typical day involved working with a team of talented engineers and researchers to delineate new strategies and deploy new products. I learned to develop project plans and to work with other departments to properly execute. Management consisted of people that believed in accountability and engaging co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people that knew how to execute.
Pros
great financial resources and a can-do philosopy
Was great!
SR Real Time Power Trader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 26, 2012
The people were amazing. Still miss a lot of the people I got to know from Dynegy. Wish the company was on more solid footing as we were all scared of pending layoffs.
Pros
people
Cons
stability
Fun place to work but no room for advancement.
Gas Operations (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2012
As Gas Scheduler, directed crude oil and gas scheduling for these Southeast US pipelines: Sonat, Texas Gas Transmission and Koch & Sabine.
Generated spreadsheets to measure and track capacity on transportation contracts.
Prepared NAESB and transport agreements.

Trading Analyst
(Jan 2000 – Jan 2001) Managed all levels of natural gas, ngl’s, crude oil trading for the Midwest and Southeast US regions. Liaised between gas traders and programmers. Utilized Nucleus and Excel software to balance position page and resolve P&L issues.

As Risk Manager, analyzed and marked daily and monthly price curves, resolved P&L storage discrepancies and balanced end-of-day comparisons of physical versus financial deals. Prepared and reported on end of day P&L reports.
Hard Times at Dynegy
Senior Director Health & Safety (Former Employee) –  Newburgh NYMarch 5, 2012
Dynegy is facing many challenges. These challenges are a daily distraction. Along with the uncertainty, days can be tough.
Pros
supportive mgt team
Cons
uncertainty of company
A good company
Settlement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston TexasJanuary 19, 2012
Great worklife and home balance. Good culture and mangers. Benefits are good and salaries are competitive
Pros
great managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dynegy. Our community is ready to answer.