Dyno Nobel Employee Reviews

Camaraderie bar none
Group Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Ulster Park, NYDecember 11, 2017
The culture in the explosive industry is fantastic. The understanding that the dangers inherent to the industry puts everyone ( that is conscious ) on the same page.
I miss it. No where else I have worked has such a bond.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 21, 2017
People are absolutely fantastic! There is very strong network at the management levels starting at the very top which doesnot allow to unleash the potential of all employees.
Great place good people to work with.
Freelance Project Manager / General Contracting (Former Employee) –  Louisiana, MOOctober 7, 2017
6 am till 4 pm Construction quality inspections and safety inspections.
Document progress and report to plant engineer.
Safty first is their goal. Excellent people to work with and great teamwork spirit. Some days were difficult to get enough accomplished because of weather conditions.
Flexible work hours helped in accomplishing our goals.
Harsh working conditions only for people fitted for extreme heat enviroment. Management in place on a 2/1 and comunication not very efficient.
PTO/Blaster (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 21, 2017
Small crew achieving lots of safety and complicated missions. At the end of the day everything is accomplished, with or without management supervision.
Pros
Great coworkers, early start, week ends off good benefits.
Cons
Working under elements, long chemichal exposure, unpredictable work content.
Challenging environment catering to millenials
Finance Department (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 18, 2017
Dyno Nobel Senior Management has vision for growth, and the company appears to have an excellent strategy to execute the plan. Senior Management will challenge each other in many areas of the business, which can lead to excellent new ideas, but it can also lead to silos and entrenchment of ideas.
Pros
Reasonable pay, excellent people to work with
Cons
Management willing to part with experienced staff, prefers to hire new skills rather than train current staff, prefers to hire less-expensive, young new employees with desired skills
Decent, but negative
Scale Clerk (Current Employee) –  Donora, PASeptember 15, 2017
The people are nice, and it is an easy job. The down fall is the pay and the hours though. If they would increase then this could be a decent job. Could
Certified Blaster Technician (Former Employee) –  KentuckyAugust 8, 2017
Good place to work. Long days make Little time for home life. Well compensated and treated fairly. Would recommend working for this company to anyone. Moved out of State for me.
Pros
Paid for lunch
Dyno Nobel
Hazmat Tanker Driver (Former Employee) –  Carthage, MOJuly 16, 2017
Explosive delivery with Hazmat truck
Documentation of delivery and information of truck, materials carried, etc.
Interaction with Dyno employees when fueling for delivery
Good mid-level mgnt, difficulty communicating with higher mgnt.
Dedicated Safety Culture
IT Service Desk Team Lead (Global) (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 30, 2017
Fast paced and high demand environment.
Multiple hats worn by all.
Deeply ingrained safety culture.
Sometimes difficult to find Work/Life balance in order to meet the demands of the job.
Pros
Competetive Pay, Culture
Cons
Wok/Life inbalance
Good company
Customer Service Support (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 19, 2017
It has been a very long time since I worked there, but when I did management was great. Work was steady. Learning different things daily to keep job interesting.
Productive workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  CTOctober 14, 2016
Great place to work. Always something new and exciting going on in the work place. There is always someone willing to help out in times of need.
Safety number 1
Sr. Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Simsbury, CTOctober 13, 2016
Great career, Learned all manufacturing processes, World Class/Lean Manufacturing knowledge a plus and extremely useful.
Very good
Digishot operator (Former Employee) –  Simsbury, CTAugust 16, 2016
My typical day at work isvery hard when things don't go well but I always know how to manage it. Management are very nice also as well co-workers. I have some hard days. I love and enjoyed working at dyno nobel they have a good benefits and good working systems.
Productive and exciting work environment .
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Biwabik, MNMay 9, 2016
I would arrive at work at 5 a.m. and head to locker room. Then i would change into my coveralls. Next i would walk down to get my semi tractor out of the garage. Then i would drive across the property to get my tanker trailer and hook up the tractor to the trailer. Then proceed to drive to the scale and check the weight of the semi. After that i would drive to the Mine facility that we were servicing that day. I then would hook up my tanker to a pump truck and off load my contents. Next I would hop in with the pumper operator and help him fill drilled holes with the product. After we were all done and empty I then would get into a 930 front end loader and stem the holes we filled.Next I would proceed to drive semi rig back to property and fill tanker for the next day. Then unhook trailer and put semi back in garage. Doing all of this with full PPE and as safely as possible.
Pros
I got to be outside everyday
Cons
lunch on the fly
Solid Company
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Simsbury, CTApril 5, 2016
Good company to work for but still needs to find themselves at the leadership level. After being acquired by an Australian company they are forced to follow the IPL Operational Excellence program throwing away all the hard work and lean tools that earned them a Shingo Prize in 2002.
Pros
Great work force with good people.
Cons
Leadership direction.
Poor management, Laid off
C-operator (Former Employee) –  Donora, PAJanuary 16, 2016
Company in Donora will probably close. Poor management and weak union. No point in reviewing this company because we all were laid off and will not have a return to this plant, ever.
Nice people
achine operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYOctober 27, 2015
Nice people as well as well structured environment. The pay should have been more given the risk of blowing up at any given time.
Excellent Business Culture and Commited to Saftey
Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Simsbury, CTAugust 20, 2015
In years of growing with the company I took part and witnessed the rise to Lean Manufacturing and it's benefits to efficiency's.
Pros
Company Growth and Business Culture
Cons
On call 24/7 365
Good place to work until it wasn't.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Donora, PAJuly 21, 2015
Everything was good until management changes destroyed our plant, causing it to close. I think about what could have been if not for poor management and lack of communications.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Bad management
Drives hard with little regard to amount of work in regards to personnel available.
Instrument and Electrical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Deer Island, OregonMarch 26, 2015
Typical work day consist of Attending BeX meetings (Business excellence program generated from other related programs) 2 per day, Job Planning meeting work scopes of jobs discussed at planning meeting, researching and providing answers and solutions to action items which identify operational issues, Closing out Incident reports which generate the action items, coaching sessions with direct reports, Discussions with operational personnel on issues in the plant for the day. Complete the work completed for the day plan for the next days work generate work permits for the next days jobs.

Lessons learned is to be diligent in completing task at hand, and with amount of work assigned to manage it in manner that is effective for plant operations

With the current programs in place i believe management executed them in a manner that was not effective in providing an efficient work force. These programs have caused discontent and still misunderstanding of the goal other then the safety aspect of the program.

Thru this process co-workers have worked as a team to maintain plant operability and reliability.

Hardest part of the job is the time management of assignment in one day which have to be at time managed into 2 days, This is the task that take scheduling of priorities.
Cons
Very demanding management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dyno Nobel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9