Dyno Nobel Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  CTOctober 14, 2016
Great place to work. Always something new and exciting going on in the work place. There is always someone willing to help out in times of need.
Safety number 1
Sr. Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Simsbury, CTOctober 13, 2016
Great career, Learned all manufacturing processes, World Class/Lean Manufacturing knowledge a plus and extremely useful.
Very good
Digishot operator (Former Employee) –  Simsbury, CTAugust 16, 2016
My typical day at work isvery hard when things don't go well but I always know how to manage it. Management are very nice also as well co-workers. I have some hard days. I love and enjoyed working at dyno nobel they have a good benefits and good working systems.
Productive and exciting work environment .
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Biwabik, MNMay 9, 2016
I would arrive at work at 5 a.m. and head to locker room. Then i would change into my coveralls. Next i would walk down to get my semi tractor out of the garage. Then i would drive across the property to get my tanker trailer and hook up the tractor to the trailer. Then proceed to drive to the scale and check the weight of the semi. After that i would drive to the Mine facility that we were servicing that day. I then would hook up my tanker to a pump truck and off load my contents. Next I would hop in with the pumper operator and help him fill drilled holes with the product. After we were all done and empty I then would get into a 930 front end loader and stem the holes we filled.Next I would proceed to drive semi rig back to property and fill tanker for the next day. Then unhook trailer and put semi back in garage. Doing all of this with full PPE and as safely as possible.
Pros
I got to be outside everyday
Cons
lunch on the fly
Poor management, Laid off
C-operator (Former Employee) –  Donora, PAJanuary 16, 2016
Company in Donora will probably close. Poor management and weak union. No point in reviewing this company because we all were laid off and will not have a return to this plant, ever.
Nice people
achine operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYOctober 27, 2015
Nice people as well as well structured environment. The pay should have been more given the risk of blowing up at any given time.
Excellent Business Culture and Commited to Saftey
Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Simsbury, CTAugust 20, 2015
In years of growing with the company I took part and witnessed the rise to Lean Manufacturing and it's benefits to efficiency's.
Pros
Company Growth and Business Culture
Cons
On call 24/7 365
Good place to work until it wasn't.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Donora, PAJuly 21, 2015
Everything was good until management changes destroyed our plant, causing it to close. I think about what could have been if not for poor management and lack of communications.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Bad management
Drives hard with little regard to amount of work in regards to personnel available.
Instrument and Electrical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Deer Island, OregonMarch 26, 2015
Typical work day consist of Attending BeX meetings (Business excellence program generated from other related programs) 2 per day, Job Planning meeting work scopes of jobs discussed at planning meeting, researching and providing answers and solutions to action items which identify operational issues, Closing out Incident reports which generate the action items, coaching sessions with direct reports, Discussions with operational personnel on issues in the plant for the day. Complete the work completed for the day plan for the next days work generate work permits for the next days jobs.

Lessons learned is to be diligent in completing task at hand, and with amount of work assigned to manage it in manner that is effective for plant operations

With the current programs in place i believe management executed them in a manner that was not effective in providing an efficient work force. These programs have caused discontent and still misunderstanding of the goal other then the safety aspect of the program.

Thru this process co-workers have worked as a team to maintain plant operability and reliability.

Hardest part of the job is the time management of assignment in one day which have to be at time managed into 2 days, This is the task that take scheduling of priorities.
Cons
Very demanding management
Large corporation with strong safety culture.
Senior Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Simsbury, CT.March 10, 2015
DYNO is overall one of the better employers out there, but has changed drastically in the past 8 years since I have been employed there. The main issue has been the lack of actual adherence to job specifications and enforcement of said guidelines by management. This has incubated and grown into a large problem that instead of the company taking strong steps to overturn this behavioral problem has spent an exponential amount of money on a program that further enables the workers to do as they please with even more authority than before, hoping the empowerment will inspire them to take a more vested interest in their jobs. Aside from that, the safety culture and awareness is strong and heavily enforced.
Pros
Safety, Wages.
Cons
Poor management.
you breath ammonia every day
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYFebruary 23, 2015
worked on pumps and other rotating equipment also did pm on equipment. also answered call outs returning to work almost nightly
Pros
good pay
Cons
lousy management
Eat on your Breaks and Lunch
Acid/Chem. Operator (Former Employee) –  Carthage, MOOctober 12, 2014
Cont. Shifts sometimes eat when you can. Training is 50/50 there. Some people need more time to learn.
Pros
Great People and Money per Hour
Cons
shift work for most jobs.
Experience with explosives and traveling and experience with a drill, and a rock truck
Blaster (Former Employee) –  Allen, KYSeptember 29, 2014
A typical day of work would be go into the office and the supervisor would tell us what job we will have to go, the name of the place and how many bore holes to expect. then i would go get the explosives and the powder needed to do the job, once I got all that is needed I would travel to the job which could be in Kentucky or West Virgina, once on the job i would talk to the foreman of the job and get all the details like closest house or any objects close the shot, after that i would load all the bore holes with the right amount of explosives and powder, wire it all up with the right delay to make sure no bore hole goes off at the same time,, once i sound my warning sirens i would blast the shot.. After i did that I would have to do a shot report witch included alot of math and various other stuff i would leave a copy with the foreman and take a copy back to the office.
Pros
A company truck and a gas card
Cons
Alot of pressure
Management at all levels are liars.
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Donora,PASeptember 26, 2014
I worked here for 4 1/2 years. I
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Cons
healthcare suck's!
Great to work for it.
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 25, 2014
Left company after 28 years, family circumstance. Would work for this company again, if lower and middle management that's there now would be replace. Upper management needs to be more involved with how site managers run this jobsites. Hourly employee are great to work with, but low morale and no trust in their site management creates a hard working environment.
Pros
Great Group of Hourly employees, Lots of Experience
Cons
Lacking Site Management Care, Low Morale, Penny pinching
It is a good company
General Ledger / Treasury Accountant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 31, 2014
It is a good company
Good environment to work
Friendly Co-workers to work with
Always busy, something to do, interesting.
Facilities Maintenance and R & D Technician (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, UTJuly 28, 2014
I was in charge of maintenance, and performed many tasks like painting, cleaning, welding replacing light fixture ballasts. I learned about a machine that makes emulsion and anfo used to clear roads and mine excavation.
Pros
Free lunches were sometimes provided by company.
Cons
Not vey communicative.
Challenging had to deal with sever weather and road conditions
Semi Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Carthage, MOMay 30, 2014
Good money. Management was terrible IE Lying gossip cronyism.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Team driving
Good Pay
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls OrJanuary 29, 2014
A typical day at work was to wake up at 4AM, put on my thermos, go to the job site get all my paperwork lined out for the day. Do a inventory, wait for my employees to show up with their trucks so I could give them what they needed for the day to get their jobs done in a timely manner out in the field. Before they left the job site, we did a inventory on what we loaded in their truck to make sure it matched the order I gave them for the day. Once they were off, I did another inventory at the job site, then logged into our database to make sure our inventory matched corporates inventory. Filed my paperwork, then made lots of phone calls to coordinate the next few days. Went to daily meetings with our contractor to make sure everyone was doing their jobs in a safe manner, and that we were providing them with the tools they needed to do so. At days end I would prepare for the next mornings meeting.
Pros
Being out in the field
Cons
no healthcare
Very high paced
Blaster/ Helper/ Driver (Former Employee) –  Pineyview, WVJanuary 27, 2014
You needed to be very careful and precised with the materials and with your instructions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dyno Nobel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9