Dyson Employee Reviews

A burnt hotdog with lots of condiments
Customer Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJune 17, 2017
I worked in Dyson's call center for more than 6 years. They started us off in the downtown Chicago location at 13.50 per hour where now they hire Customer Experience Specialists for 12.00 per hour I believe for the same work.

They use the Customer Experience Specialist to mask the problems within their culture, their internal processes, and bad management. The lapses in judgement and failure to address their problems affects their customers in the end, so accepting this role should have you expecting to talk to a lot of upset customers. Dyson realizes and is fully aware of what their customers expectations are for the value they pay for the products, but refuses to address a working game plan where the customer is happy and they can live with the costs to maintain their customer relationships. In a nutshell they don't take the good with the bad. If a customer is upset enough, they are likely to get what they want regardless of the circumstances.

As a Customer Experience Specialist YOU have the control of how to enforce the vaguely written warranty. If you successfully end a call with the customer being denied a part or service, you've saved the company money and your manager is smiling. But when the customer surveys their experience and leaves you a poor rating, YOU are left frowning. You could decide to be generous to the customers in hopes to earn more favorable survey ratings, but then Dyson's metric system looks at you as an employee that costs too much money and it hurts you in your PEP rating. YOU ultimately are responsible for making the choices, but don't think
  more... that you won't be dinged for making the fair approval or denial in terms of warranty coverage. The managers try to accommodate each individual customer, but they reality is they can't. What pleases one customer, another is displeased by. A lot of the customer's that call are just trying to work the system and Dyson realizes it but does nothing. They see that NOT awarding and rewarding agents is a way of filtering costs that they otherwise would have to pay somewhere else, R & D, Management (to develop a working business model in Customer relations), or approving warranty coverage to customers that are actually entitled to it. You wanna get promoted and move up in the call center, just act like you don't realize all of this is happening and that it doesn't bother you that you are NOT helping the customer relationship with you're hurting it by encouraging false expectations.

Management is a bunch of spokespeople that will agree even when they disagree.

You can put as many tasty condiments as you want, but in the end it's still a burnt hotdog.
Pros
Free lunches and giftcards
Cons
Bad management, bad business model, expectations to be ignorant.
Fun job with great pay and flexible hours
Dyson Expert (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 11, 2017
i have been with Dyson for almost 3 years and I love my job. From day-to-day, I demonstrate Dyson machines in Costco, teach Dyson consumers about our products, train store associates, and match customers to the machine that best fits them. We are not pushy sales people. The job is pretty relaxed, overall, but you must be able to stand 8 hours a day, and you must be great with people from many walks of life.
Pros
Flexible, good hourly pay, great management, awesome company culture
Cons
No room for advancement
fun place to work
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 7, 2017
working at dyson is very fun and upbeat the team is fun and supportive as well..management is very supportive and helps you meet goal set by trainers great place
Fun company
Dyson Expert (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 18, 2017
They fly you around on the weekends. Sometimes just to different stores in your state. They give you vacuums to use. They also have great pay and benefits even for part time workers.
Pros
Great pay.
Cons
Standing all day.
Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILApril 14, 2017
Great opportunities, it was just very poorly managed, Since I started I have been through 3 supervisors/point of contacts getting to know all of these new management members is very hard
Pros
bonus/o.t insetives
Cons
management
Not a bad place to work
Customer Service Representative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILFebruary 23, 2017
The hours are good, but you are tied to the phone/desk for your entire shift. Dyson handles calls for the US and Canada, so most of your days are back to back calls, and it keeps you wayyyyy after hours to complete them all. Especially because we never had enough workers to stay at the job.

The environment is good though. There are lots of different incentives to keep you motivated. The best part was learning about the new technology. It was great to hear about the company moving forward to bigger things.
Pros
Incentives, Workmates
Cons
Short breaks, Not enough workers
Sweet part-time gig
Sales Expert (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 20, 2017
Awesome part-time job, high base pay with NO COMMISSION! You will be safe and secure in this job. It is limited to weekends from 10-6pm. Make sure you have room in your car trunk to carry your materials for your sales demos.
Pros
High base hourly rate
Cons
Standing 8 hours is hard on feet
Great Position
Dyson Expert (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2017
Induction is a great introduction to the company; the training is organized & very fun. Your personal experience working on the field can vary depending on your placement. I work in an area where business was great but idle moments can be very difficult to get through. You will become surprised with how much you know after only working there a few weeks. My manager is probably the best I've ever had. One downside is standing on my feet hours at a time (even though I'm quite young) is starting to wear me down.
Pros
Great deals on Dyson products, management is the best
Cons
You are always on your feet, Only a 30 hour lunch whilst working a full day
The best company
Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLDecember 18, 2016
If you are a self starter and strive to be the best then this is the place to work. You won't be micro managed and the company puts a lot of trust in you. Discounted Dyson products, benefits, and the chance of promotions. I'm soooo happy to sell these amazing products.
Pros
Great money. You meet all kinds of cool people. Discounts. Responsibility.
Cons
Standing the whole time. Sometimes it's slow.
No Comment
Quality Assurance Training Analyst (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILNovember 14, 2016
Great people with great talents. Diverse company, being unique, and being different is encouraged. All ideas are welcome and are taken into consideration.
Sales Driven, Lack Advancement
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2016
good pay, overtime offered, lacking advancement, work every holiday, extremely sales driven, lack of leadership on weekends/nights. commission is customer survey based.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Heavy sales, favoritism, no advancement, overworked. Not much say in schedule
Productive and fast paced
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Painesville, OHSeptember 14, 2016
Good work environment, coworkers were easy to get along with. Fast paced environment which is what I prefer. Good hours, long days. I learned how to operate different machines that i never worked with before. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the heat. I liked learning new things
Pros
benefits, uniforms
Cons
Short breaks, heat
Great place to work if you like the job you land.
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 21, 2016
Dyson has a lot of great, friendly people. I respected and was proud to work with my direct branch manager and regional manager. There wasn't a whole lot of communication with the executives, but this never posed an issue. I did get plenty of feedback from my RM about company direction and where our goals were, how well we were achieving them and what we could do to improve.

Dyson's attitude towards autonomy is a double-edged sword. We each had near total control over our individual service centers which inspired a high morale and sense of responsibility. But the down-side came in the uncertainty in things that could (and did) potentially backfire. While it was uncommon, there were times when I felt a bit more direction from the higher ups could have saved us some headache.

The benefits at the time of my hiring for a starting position included full insurance, 401k and some others. These were not significantly improved on when I was raised to manager, but in retrospect I'm happier to have had them from the start considering that most other companies would not have offered them to an equivalent position.

Overall working with Dyson felt like a very good way to earn a living in a friendly environment with a healthy dose of responsibility and self-improvement.
Pros
Almost full autonomy over your branch, no micromanaging, friendly coworkers at all levels/branches, company supplied food and drink in kitchenette/ break area, some travel between other service centers.
Cons
Occasional lack of communication between departments
Great Opportunity for College Students
Product Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMay 2, 2016
It's an excellent job on the weekend. The hourly pay is great! They send you to Chicago for training!

Great opportunity for college students and retired people.

Notes:
- You do NOT commission per-sale, just an hourly rate!
- You do have the opportunity for bonuses, but it's a TEAM effort; if you sell well for a month and the rest of the team doesn't, you will not get a bonus.
Pros
The hourly pay is awesome; flight to Chicago, food and room paid for.
Cons
NO Commission; Bonuses are based on TEAM sales.
Great company to work for if you are looking for part time job
Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 22, 2016
The job allows for work life balance, and gives you the opportunity to meet all types of people. Excellent support from company while in the field. Pays much better than most part time positions. Always recognized for a job well done. Training is always interesting and engaging. They always have a new product to learn about and teach other people so you never get board. Must have a professional demeanor. Weekends only.
A lot of give and take
CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILOctober 31, 2015
Basic Customer Experience Specialist responsibilities would be to answer the phone and resolve the customers reason for calling while providing Iconic Customer Experience in an efficient manner.

The center is nice and modern, being as small as it is one persons vibe can flow from one end to the other which can be beneficial or not.

The hardest part would be the frustration of management not realizing how difficult it is to meet their metrics while providing Dyson's Iconic Customer Service also finding any two people with a similar answer to the same question.

Best part being when you are finally acknowledge for all you hard and proper work... and being rewarded with food.

Also the incentive plan for sales, meeting metrics and even a tier progression plan set up... please be sure to read the fine print on earning these.
Pros
A lot of free food rewarded for hard work, town halls within site, Dyson sponsored activities
Cons
False expectations for advancement, no one is in sync with policies, Favoritism
best comany ever
Brand demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 14, 2015
dyson is the best company i have worked for, i love my manager, i love the company, there is sooo much room to advance in this company, they take soo much care of you. its just wonderful
Productive Work Place that provides iconic Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILSeptember 11, 2015
Dyson is a great company. Their products are referred to the "Trump" of all vacuums. Dyson takes pride in their products as well as its customers. Ive learned how to cater to customer needs in a way that will benefit the company and also the consumer. Hardest part of the job is trying to describe how to fix certain things on the vacuum over the phone. A typical day at work consists of 40+ calls.
Pros
benefits, job security, helpful management
Cons
short breaks
nice envioroment
Customer Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 12, 2015
we will troubleshoot dyson product for customers if they were having problems. i learned more about dyson products to better assist our customers. I loved my co workers. the hardest was trying to resolve an issue that couldnt get resolved the time it needed to be. I love that management will look out for their employees
Great Interaction with Customers, Helpful Management & Co-workers
Dyson Demonstrator on Long Island (Current Employee) –  End Cap in Costco on Long IslandFebruary 6, 2015
Demonstrating in Costco, on Long Island has many Pro's. I am always interacting with people and that's big considering I'm a people person. Working for Dyson Inc., has been a great learning experience for me. Needing to keep up with all the New technology on Dyson's new products keeps it very fresh and exciting. The management is extremely supportive, being out in the field on my own I can always contact my manager and co-workers. If I had to say what the hardest part of the job is…when I just started a year age I would of had to say answering questions from customers and talking in front of a crowd. Experiencing not very nice customers saying a few things about how they feel about Dyson…WOW
But, now being in it and seeing how it affected my life, I would have to say the hardest part would be not sharing the weekends and Family Obligations with my Children.
Pros
Great Interaction with Customers
Cons
Only Part Time, Weekends Only

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dyson. Our community is ready to answer.