E. W. Scripps Company

E. W. Scripps Company Employer Reviews

Decent workplace, but lacks enough assignments.
District Manager (Former Employee), Kitsap SunJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: work/home life, friendly coworkers, great publisher
Cons: lack of work, opinions, voice, and communication
The work place altered recently with how District Managers functioned. The system is in flux lately, which is helping the needs of the industry. The structure seems to lack District Managers input. Where the District Manager is a desk jockey for the most part because this location has contracted Distributors, and they contract the carriers. So with this newspaper circulation department a District Manager is a overpaid Customer Service Representative. Another issue is lack of working assignments. The working hours are 5am to 1pm weekdays and 3am to 11am weekends. During the weekday there is usually nothing to do from 1030am to 1pm. So time is boring, and lags during this time block. One can only surf the internet for so long a day.
A great organization.
Facility Manager (Former Employee), CincinnatiJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: downtown parking
The atmosphere is one of "family". Everyone knows all by their first names, including the top management.

A casual work environment.
What you learned
AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee), Anderson, SCJanuary 12, 2015
Communication is key in all channels print, verbally and digitally.
Fast Paced Newspaper Division
Sales Support Assistant (Former Employee), Camarillo, CAJanuary 3, 2015
Was fast paced and a lot to do to get the day to day.

The people were great. I enjoyed working there.
Leading News & Information Company
National Digital Sales Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 13, 2014
Leading multimedia news & information company focused on developing solutions for clients.
Nice workplace with a nice group of people
Newspaper Producer (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXAugust 19, 2014
Pros: occasional free food
Cons: health insurance
I was always able to come into work knowing I wouldn't have any annoying or rude customers. All communication is done through phone or email. I was able to work with people in California, Washington and all over Texas. I would have to say the hardest part of the job was managing deadlines, and the most enjoyable was being able to design for several different newspapers.
Productive, energetic, "go after it" attitude.
Director of Circulation, Sales (Current Employee), Redding, CAJune 1, 2014
Pros: co-workers feel like they work with family (in a good way)
Cons: tough being a newspaper in this day and age couple with the economy.
It has been a good place to work as individuals use skills, are motivated to learn new skills and teamwork is made a priority.
Short circuted
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: nice professional business environment
Cons: corp. decisions made by out of town spread sheeters
well I was hired in early Oct. 2013 and laid off early Dec. 2013 so unfortunately I don't have much to go on but while there I was pleased with everyone I interacted with, the professionalism, the facilities and I'm saddened things didn't work out.. They simply decided the Monster.com Inside sales dept. was not nor would develop as they initially envisioned.
Career benefical
Integrated Marketing Consultant (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 22, 2013
Pros: career growth, free lunches, invested in your success management
I can truly say I made the best career decision to start at the E.W. Scripps Company. They care about their employees and continue to grow as a company, thus resulting in more jobs.
worst managment ever...
Videographer/Editor (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHOctober 23, 2013
Pros: qiuting time
Cons: young managers
Management is horrible. Young and zero experience. Very bad working conditions for everyone there. Do look for work here. After 22+ years as s videographer, I can honestly say they treat employees like garbage.
Standard newsroom
Producer (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 20, 2013
Typical day includes working with news team to create local news program. Focus is on breaking news and investigative stories.
Arranging deck chairs on the Titanic
Sales executive (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNSeptember 4, 2013
Insane, hiring folks with sales background and reprogramming entire sales staff, 3x a year with" latest" sales training that ad director bought this week. They are preparing themselves to death requiring reps to travel in to office in the morning and then dropping everything to " be" at office at 4:00, no matter where the salesperson is or what they're doing. Between sales force and preparing for customer calls, you're lucky to get 3 calls done in a day.
Management realizes the ship is sinking and is throwing the employees out like ballast. I am consistently one of the top producers and yet, they make you feel like dirt..

Avoid this place if you value your sanity and your pride, they will tear you down, to make themselves look good....
Excellant company to work for
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Stuart, FLAugust 13, 2013
Pros: great company and people
Cons: sometimes grueling days.....
At Scripps I started as a receptionist and worked my way up to Executive Administrative assistant over the course of 13 years. I did everything from answering multiple phone lines to handling walk in customers for advertising and also classified. Management was always around if any problems arose and swiftly had a solution. Worked with a great group of people that were very diversified. When I went to the internet side I couldn't believe have alive it was and so new and exciting. Hardest part of my job was having to take an obituary from a grieving family. Best part of my job was that I loved all the hub bub. I also received an award for being an outstanding employee which made my years there so rewarding. When I was offered an early retirement package I accepted with almost a sadness having to leave such a great job.
Excellent Digital Agency with a National Footprint
Digital Sales Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 9, 2013
Pros: digital experts, market leader
Cons: benefits aren't very good.
E.W. Scripps acquired the McGraw-Hill Broadcast group a couple of years ago and brought a wealth of Digital products with them. I was the only corporate employee E.W. Scripps decided to keep on staff and have been leading the charge for their digital initiatives in San Diego and Bakersfield.

I have been Google certified and learned all aspects of digital marketing including: Mobile Display, Contextual & Behavioral Targeting, re-targeting, Search engine Optimization as well as Broadcast journalism.

Overall a fantastic place to work - my life is bringing me back to Orange County otherwise I'd never leave the organization.
Family friendly company with varied job tasks.
Advertising sales (Current Employee), Evansville, IndianaJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: great schedule, decent pay, good work environment, interesting work.
Cons: communication, layoffs, high bonus goals.
I have worked at this company for a couple of years. The company is what you make of it like any other job. Have had the chance to do many tasks. Work with print, online, inserts, billing, copy writing, ad design, events and more. No 2 days are the same. Management depends on your "team ", but most managers are solid and great to work with.
Others say no raises, but that is not true, hard work is rewarded. Bonus goals are hard to reach though.
They understand that you have personal lives and never give you a problem with flex schedules and personal time requests. They try hard at team building. But for a communication company, they do fall short on communicating across the department at times.
Things change rapidly here which can be a con, but news reporting business is rapidly changing across the board and this company tries to be proactive in new tech and processes, which can make you feel a little yoyoed.
Cuts in staffing have made for extremely heavy workloads, which are made worse when management allows some workers fight new processes instead of making them get with the program. Or when they allow some employees to do what they want instead of what they should do.
Closed Captioning Specialist (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: benefits, caring, connected with employees
Cons: very isolated
I have enjoyed working at E.W. Scripps. A typical day is 3:30am-9am and I work alone under no supervison. I really enjoy working with people, the hardest part of this job is there is no communication with the outside world or co-workers whatsoever. The best part of this job is it has been a new learning experience for me. The management is great here, very organized and hard working.
Terrible place to work.
Marketing Specialist in Classifieds (Former Employee), Evansville, INSeptember 23, 2012
Cons: no work ethics, poor pay, horrible management, managers lying to make their department look good on goals
Worked there over 2 years. Had a manager who lied, played favorites, and did not help in any way to help make personal goals on certain people. She had her dream team who.got her help in every way, HR at this place is a joke. Do not trust him..be WILL throw you under the bus.Do not believe when you are told he has an open door and to feel free to talk to him about anything. Another LIE. Never received a raise even after 2 years. Do not work at The Evansville Courier & Press is you have work ethics and morals.
BEWARE YOU MIGHT GET LAID OFF---NO RAISES
Creative Coordinator (Former Employee), Evansville, IndianaSeptember 20, 2012
Pros: schedule is nice.
Evansville Courier likes to lay off people right before Christmas. Worked there for over a year and failed to recieve a raise.
Sr. Manager, Compensation (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHAugust 26, 2012
A dynamic company that is rapidly changing. Co-workers are great and supportive. Opportunity to work on many different types of projects.
EW Scripps is a solid broadcast company
Manager Information Systems (Current Employee), Indianapolis IndianaJuly 23, 2012
Pros: technology driven industry
Cons: long hours
Network admin, IT Capital and expense budgets, good people, long hours